473,603 Members | 2,644 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Auto fill form fields using coldfusion

769 Contributor
Hey Everyone,

Well i don't know if my question should be in javascript/ajax or coldfusion, i figure this is more of a coldfusion question. But if this is in the wrong section let me know an all gladly delete my question an put it in the correct section.

Well what i am trying to do is pretty simple. I have a input field and someone starts typing in a customer number. As they type in the customer number the drop down box is populated. They then click on the drop down box an the rest of the form is populated (it gets all the information from a database).

I found a script online that does almost exactly what i want to do except it is in php. I have found an example of this in every language except coldfusion and well i must admit i am not good at converting code from one language to another.

But anyway i was wondering if anyone could provide me with an example on how i would do this in coldfusion instead of php? or if you know of a tutorial,forum, or example online i could look at?

Here is the example page
http://www.dhtmlgoodies.com/scripts/...nt-lookup.html

an here is the code
http://www.dhtmlgoodies.com/index.ht..._client_lookup

i already created the drop down box part of this (since it is missing in the
the example above), but like i said i just can't figure out how i would populate it using my coldfusion database. Here is what i got for the drop down box

here is coldfusion/html
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. <cfquery name="getcustnum" datasource="CustomerSupport">
  2. usp_CS_Getcontacts
  3. </cfquery>
  4. <HTML>
  5. <HEAD>
  6.     <TITLE>JavaScript Toolbox - Auto-Complete</TITLE>
  7. <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript" SRC="autocomplete.js"></SCRIPT>
  8. </HEAD>
  9. <BODY BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF LINK="#00615F" VLINK="#00615F" ALINK="#00615F">
  10. <FORM>
  11. Customer Number*
  12. <INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="input1" VALUE="" ONKEYUP="autoComplete(this,this.form.options,'value',true)" onChange="validate(this.form.custnum,'Customer Number')">
  13. <SELECT NAME="options" 
  14. onChange="this.form.input1.value=this.options[this.selectedIndex].value" onclick="">
  15. <cfoutput query="getcustnum">
  16. <option value="#fk_custNum#">#fk_custNum#</option>
  17. </cfoutput>
  18. </SELECT>
  19. Company Name:<input type="text" name="compname"  size="20" id="compname"/>
  20. First Name:<input type="text" name="fname"  size="20" id="fname"/>
  21. Last Name:<input type="text" name="lname"size="20" id="lname"/>
  22. </FORM>
  23. </BODY>
  24. </HTML>

here is the javascript
  1. function autoComplete (field, select, property, forcematch) {
  2.     var found = false;
  3.     for (var i = 0; i < select.options.length; i++) {
  4.     if (select.options[i][property].toUpperCase().indexOf(field.value.toUpperCase()) == 0) {
  5.         found=true; break;
  6.         }
  7.     }
  8.     if (found) { select.selectedIndex = i; }
  9.     else { select.selectedIndex = -1; }
  10.     if (field.createTextRange) {
  11.         if (forcematch && !found) {
  12.             field.value=field.value.substring(0,field.value.length-1); 
  13.             return;
  14.             }
  15.         var cursorKeys ="8;46;37;38;39;40;33;34;35;36;45;";
  16.         if (cursorKeys.indexOf(event.keyCode+";") == -1) {
  17.             var r1 = field.createTextRange();
  18.             var oldValue = r1.text;
  19.             var newValue = found ? select.options[i][property] : oldValue;
  20.             if (newValue != field.value) {
  21.                 field.value = newValue;
  22.                 var rNew = field.createTextRange();
  23.                 rNew.moveStart('character', oldValue.length) ;
  24.                 rNew.select();
  25.                 }
  26.             }
  27.         }
  28.     }
But thank you in advance :),
Rach
Aug 15 '08 #1
106 19752
acoder
16,027 Recognized Expert Moderator MVP
For the populating of the dropdown box and the text boxes, you will need JavaScript. If you're having problems with that part, start a new thread in the JavaScript forum.

For getting the values from the database, you will obviously need Coldfusion. If you want to convert that PHP file to Coldfusion, it's not that difficult, though I don't like how it's done. There's a better way if you're interested.
Aug 15 '08 #2
bonneylake
769 Contributor
Hey Acoder,

definately interested if you have a better way to go about getting the values from the database. I think i can figure out the javascript part, just very lost on the coldfusion part.

Thanks in advance,
Rach
Aug 15 '08 #3
acoder
The better way would involve not outputting JavaScript to be eval-ed as in the example you linked to. You can output HTML to be inserted directly, or XML or JSON to be parsed.

From what you've described, it seems you're going to make two requests. One to populate the drop down and the second one to populate the fields. Are the options from a database too?
Aug 15 '08 #4
bonneylake
769 Contributor
yes the options come from the database as well.
Aug 15 '08 #5
acoder
You'll need to files then. Let's deal with populating the drop down first.

You have a simple query which gets the values for the options, then you use cfloop to loop over and display the options, e.g.
  1. <cfloop ...>
  2. <option value="<cfoutput>#val#</cfoutput>"><cfoutput>#opttext#</cfoutput>
  3. </cfloop>
then in your client-side code, you just set the innerHTML of the select element. An alternative is to output XML or JSON which you can parse.
Aug 15 '08 #6
bonneylake
769 Contributor
Acoder,

Well i sorta understand what your saying. But wanted to ask would this drop down i had already created work? because this gets the information from the table for the drop down the way i have it, just kinda curious what the difference is.

1. <cfquery name="getcustnum" datasource="CustomerSupport">
  2. usp_CS_Getcontacts
  3. </cfquery>
  5. <SELECT NAME="options" >
  6. <cfoutput query="getcustnum">
  7. <option value="#fk_custNum#">#fk_custNum#</option>
  8. </cfoutput>
  9. </SELECT>
an with the innerHTML i am a bit baffled on how i would go about that. But i am going to do some research on what you have said :).

But thank you for all the help you have given me :)
Rach
Aug 15 '08 #7
acoder
Oh I see. So you already have that working. In that case, you only need to make one request onchange. Now what you output in the Coldfusion file depends on how you're going to code the client-side JavaScript part. You could use XML or JSON, or you could just output a string delimited by a special character and use the split() method in JavaScript to split the string into an array to fill the separate fields.
Aug 16 '08 #8
bonneylake
769 Contributor
Hey Acoder,

Sorry for the slow response. Well the only thing i am not understanding is the coldfusion side of this. I am pretty sure i could figure out the javascript side if i understood the coldfusion side.

What i am confused on is how would i get that information from the database? Like the only stored procedures i have created so far is a insert and a update. An i am use to having my form on one page an click submit an takes me to another page to insert (i am still very new to coldfusion as you can tell).I don't know if this would help but this is my cfquery for inserting the contact which shows the felds i am dealing with

1. <cfquery name="insertcontacts" datasource="CustomerSupport">
  2. exec usp_CS_Insertcontacts  '#Form.custnum#','#Form.compname#','#Form.fname#',
  3. '#Form.lname#','#Form.address#','#Form.city#','
  4. #Form.state#','#Form.zip#','#Form.email#','#Form.priphone#',
  5. '#Form.secphone#','#Form.custnotes#'
  6. </cfquery>
but sorry if this don't make much since, been a long weekend. If you need me to explain anymore just ask an all gladely try to.

Thank you very much for all the help,
Rach
Aug 18 '08 #9
acoder
You need a select query and pass in the customer number, e.g. #url.custnum#, so when you make an Ajax request, say getCustDetails. cfm?custnum=123 , the code would output the values.
Aug 18 '08 #10

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.