473,545 Members | 2,006 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

PyQT installation

hello all,
I am planning to start coding a nanoscale design software in
python with QT interface.I have to do this in windows or linux.Intially
windows would be fine.
I have struggled almost full day today trying to make
from import qt *
execute........ ............... ....I have the basic python core. I went
through the sites like riverbankcomput ing and trolltech and few online
pages and books which talk about PyQT but never say about their
installation step properly.
I need to know step by step what shud i do.I have also installed
the windows binary of PyQT from riverbank and have ordered a QTdesigner
CD.But i can't wait.I need to do this fast.(Is there any other thing i
have to do)
Any clean and clear cut info in linux or windows( as I hope this
as the groups standard to be) would help me start my nanoscale project
or otherwise i have to rethink the GUI..Common QT is my favourite i
need my project work to be done on my favourite thing.

regards,
Charles

(doing an example program wud be a welcome sweeet)

Jul 18 '05 #1
16 2116
On Thursday 30 December 2004 1:27 am, Nanoscalesoft wrote:
hello all,
I am planning to start coding a nanoscale design software in
python with QT interface.I have to do this in windows or linux.Intially
windows would be fine.
I have struggled almost full day today trying to make
from import qt *
execute........ ............... ....I have the basic python core. I went
through the sites like riverbankcomput ing and trolltech and few online
pages and books which talk about PyQT but never say about their
installation step properly.
I need to know step by step what shud i do.I have also installed
the windows binary of PyQT from riverbank and have ordered a QTdesigner
CD.But i can't wait.I need to do this fast.(Is there any other thing i
have to do)
Any clean and clear cut info in linux or windows( as I hope this
as the groups standard to be) would help me start my nanoscale project
or otherwise i have to rethink the GUI..Common QT is my favourite i
need my project work to be done on my favourite thing.


Exactly what versions of Python, Qt and PyQt have you installed?

Phil
Jul 18 '05 #2
hi phil...
py-->2.4
pyqt-->3.3
qt-->2.3.0

Jul 18 '05 #3
On Thursday 30 December 2004 2:34 pm, Nanoscalesoft wrote:
hi phil...
py-->2.4
pyqt-->3.3
I assume you mean PyQt-win-nc-msvc-3.13.exe
qt-->2.3.0


I assume you mean the non-commercial edition.

The binaries are built against Python 2.3.3 - Python 2.4 won't work. Python
2.4 (and later) will never be supported by the non-commercial edition because
of the MSVC 6 vs 7 issue.

Phil
Jul 18 '05 #4
Phil Thompson wrote:
On Thursday 30 December 2004 2:34 pm, Nanoscalesoft wrote:
hi phil...
py-->2.4
pyqt-->3.3

I assume you mean PyQt-win-nc-msvc-3.13.exe

qt-->2.3.0

I assume you mean the non-commercial edition.

The binaries are built against Python 2.3.3 - Python 2.4 won't work. Python
2.4 (and later) will never be supported by the non-commercial edition because
of the MSVC 6 vs 7 issue.

Phil


If that is a real *never* then Qt just fell behind in the "what's the
best GUI platform" stakes. It'd be a shame to lose PyQT, but if there's
no way to migrate it forwards it will atrophy and die. Have TrollTech
said they will never issue MSVC 7 binaries?

Is there no way to use the free Microsoft toolchain to compile, or do
the language differences just make the whole deal too difficult (or is
there some other show-stopper that my ignorance prevents me from seeing?).

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden http://www.holdenweb.com/
Python Web Programming http://pydish.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC +1 703 861 4237 +1 800 494 3119
Jul 18 '05 #5
Steve Holden, Quinta 30 Dezembro 2004 14:13, wrote:
If that is a real *never* then Qt just fell behind in the "what's the
best GUI platform" stakes. It'd be a shame to lose PyQT, but if there's
no way to migrate it forwards it will atrophy and die. Have TrollTech
said they will never issue MSVC 7 binaries?
"non-commercial" binaries he said... I hope it is just the non-commercial
really, 'cause the look & feel of Qt is very nice.
Is there no way to use the free Microsoft toolchain to compile, or do
the language differences just make the whole deal too difficult (or is
there some other show-stopper that my ignorance prevents me from seeing?).


Isn't it possible to compile everything with a free compiler? I'm not a
Windows user, but... :-)
--
Godoy. <go***@ieee.org >

Jul 18 '05 #6
On Thursday 30 December 2004 4:13 pm, Steve Holden wrote:
Phil Thompson wrote:
On Thursday 30 December 2004 2:34 pm, Nanoscalesoft wrote:
hi phil...
py-->2.4
pyqt-->3.3


I assume you mean PyQt-win-nc-msvc-3.13.exe
qt-->2.3.0


I assume you mean the non-commercial edition.

The binaries are built against Python 2.3.3 - Python 2.4 won't work.
Python 2.4 (and later) will never be supported by the non-commercial
edition because of the MSVC 6 vs 7 issue.

Phil


If that is a real *never* then Qt just fell behind in the "what's the
best GUI platform" stakes. It'd be a shame to lose PyQT, but if there's
no way to migrate it forwards it will atrophy and die. Have TrollTech
said they will never issue MSVC 7 binaries?

Is there no way to use the free Microsoft toolchain to compile, or do
the language differences just make the whole deal too difficult (or is
there some other show-stopper that my ignorance prevents me from seeing?).


You've completely misunderstood what I said.

I specifically said the non-commercial edition. This is a binary only version
based on Qt v2.3 and released in March 2001 - the first beta of Qt v4.0 has
just been released. The commercial and GPL versions of Qt is supplied in
source form and supports MSVC 6, 7, Borland, Cygwin and the Intel compiler.
PyQt supports all versions of Python since v1.5.2.

I think Qt is doing very well in the "best GUI platform" stakes if people
still want to use a 4 year old version in preference to up to date versions
of the alternatives.

Phil
Jul 18 '05 #7
does that mean PyQT is not forward!!!!!!!! What a bad thing is this...

Jul 18 '05 #8
Phil Thompson wrote:
On Thursday 30 December 2004 4:13 pm, Steve Holden wrote:
Phil Thompson wrote:
On Thursday 30 December 2004 2:34 pm, Nanoscalesoft wrote:

hi phil...
py-->2.4
pyqt-->3.3

I assume you mean PyQt-win-nc-msvc-3.13.exe
qt-->2.3.0

I assume you mean the non-commercial edition.

The binaries are built against Python 2.3.3 - Python 2.4 won't work.
Python 2.4 (and later) will never be supported by the non-commercial
edition because of the MSVC 6 vs 7 issue.

Phil
If that is a real *never* then Qt just fell behind in the "what's the
best GUI platform" stakes. It'd be a shame to lose PyQT, but if there's
no way to migrate it forwards it will atrophy and die. Have TrollTech
said they will never issue MSVC 7 binaries?

Is there no way to use the free Microsoft toolchain to compile, or do
the language differences just make the whole deal too difficult (or is
there some other show-stopper that my ignorance prevents me from seeing?).

You've completely misunderstood what I said.

And not for the first time, probably. Mea culpa.
I specifically said the non-commercial edition. This is a binary only version
based on Qt v2.3 and released in March 2001 - the first beta of Qt v4.0 has
just been released. The commercial and GPL versions of Qt is supplied in
source form and supports MSVC 6, 7, Borland, Cygwin and the Intel compiler.
PyQt supports all versions of Python since v1.5.2.
Well, OK, so I take it this means that TrollTech have announced they
won't be producing an up to date non-commercial edition?

I presume the non-commercial edition is for people who want to use Qt
but don't want to pay licensing fees or open their source? Or is the GPL
version only available on non-Windows platforms? Of all the GUI
platforms I know about, Qt certainly has the murkiest licensing picture.
I think Qt is doing very well in the "best GUI platform" stakes if people
still want to use a 4 year old version in preference to up to date versions
of the alternatives.

I have no quibble with that - as I know, there are a lot of happy Qt
users, and it has an interestingly different architecture. It would be
even better if the licensing requirements were consistent across all
platforms.

and-if-wishes-were-horses-ly y'rs - steve
--
Steve Holden http://www.holdenweb.com/
Python Web Programming http://pydish.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC +1 703 861 4237 +1 800 494 3119
Jul 18 '05 #9
Nanoscalesoft wrote:
does that mean PyQT is not forward!!!!!!!! What a bad thing is this...


Whoa, how did you get it?

You can buy commercial licenses and be as current as we are on Linux
with GPL versions of Qt+PyQt. Oh, and QScintilla and Eric3!

--
Jarek Zgoda
http://jpa.berlios.de/ | http://www.zgodowie.org/
Jul 18 '05 #10

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

4
2699
by: reh | last post by:
Have installed on Redhat 9.0 in the following order; Qscintilla sip PyQt When I install eric3 (python install.py), I get this error; Sorry, please install QScintilla and/or reinstall PyQt with QScintilla support.
4
3289
by: Stelian Iancu | last post by:
Hello all! I am trying to install eric3, the Python IDE. I've downloaded and installed successfully sip-3.8, QScintilla-1.2 and PyQT-3.8. However, when I try to install eric, I get the following error: Sorry, please install PyQt. I looked into the install script, then I opened a Python window and there I tried import qt and I got the...
8
4838
by: simo | last post by:
OK, so I'm at the stage where I want to make a choice between wxPython and PyQt. Currently I'm using wxPython mainly due to the fact that it has GPL Linux and Windows versions. I prefer Qt to wxWindows, but am confused with all the Windows licensing issues. For the moment this is just for my own tinkering and utility apps, but
2
2207
by: Sam | last post by:
Hey people, I am trying to install these modules to play around with KDE panel applets, but I am beginning to think it's too much trouble to be worth it. I've installed PyQT (as well as the PyQT-devel rpm, which is apparently needed if I install PyQT from an rpm), PyKDE and the sip module. When I run the importTest.py script that comes...
10
2186
by: svenn.are | last post by:
Hi, I wanted to run a program that is written in PyQt on my mac, and went over to Riverbank to get PyQ 3.13 and SIP 4.1.1 sources. I followed the installation guide except for the compiling python as Macosx already has python. I had no problem with compiling SIP and also no problem with compiling PyQt nor did I have any error message...
0
1025
by: Bulba! | last post by:
I got an evaluation version of Qt for Windows and installed PyQt. However, it gives me this error message: "ImportError: DLL load failed:" It doesn't seem to see the "qt-mteval" DLL, even though I made sure that the paths to "lib" and "bin" subfolders of Qt are there in the PATH. I installed Qt built with MSVC, and PyQt is also built...
7
1818
by: adrian_p_smith | last post by:
Hi there. I've been trying to get PyQT working on W2K, but have not yet found a sufficiently detailed walk-through for my somewhat command-line-challenged sensibilities. I did find this page: http://www.diotavelli.net/PyQtWiki/GPLPyQtWindows , but I'm not sure about installing the whole of Visual Studio .NET as a prerequisite. Can anyone tell...
2
4590
by: wd.jonsson | last post by:
Hello! I must be doing something wrong here because I'm getting all these missing .dll messages after installing PyQT. This is what I've done (no step excluded): 1. Fresh installation of Python25 2. I run the PyQt-gpl-4.1.1-Py2.5-Qt4.2.2.exe file which should include SIP 3. I run the qt-win-opensource-4.2.2-mingw.exe file
1
2554
by: Marcus Strube | last post by:
Hi I was trying to install PyQt, but things don't work as promised. I'm working on OS X 10.5, didn't install another version of Python - so it's 2.5.1 -, installed the latest "qt-mac-opensource-4.3.3.dmg" and the latest sip 4.7.3. But when I then try to run python configure.py for PyQt 4.3.3 I get "Import Error: No module named...
0
7475
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However, people are often confused as to whether an ONU can Work As a Router. In this blog post, we’ll explore What is ONU, What Is Router, ONU & Router’s main...
0
7409
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can effortlessly switch the default language on Windows 10 without reinstalling. I'll walk you through it. First, let's disable language...
0
7921
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven tapestry of website design and digital marketing. It's not merely about having a website; it's about crafting an immersive digital experience that...
1
7437
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows Update option using the Control Panel or Settings app; it automatically checks for updates and installs any it finds, whether you like it or not. For...
0
7771
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each protocol has its own unique characteristics and advantages, but as a user who is planning to build a smart home system, I am a bit confused by the...
0
5982
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing, and deployment—without human intervention. Imagine an AI that can take a project description, break it down, write the code, debug it, and then...
1
5343
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new presenter, Adolph Dupré who will be discussing some powerful techniques for using class modules. He will explain when you may want to use classes...
0
4958
by: conductexam | last post by:
I have .net C# application in which I am extracting data from word file and save it in database particularly. To store word all data as it is I am converting the whole word file firstly in HTML and then checking html paragraph one by one. At the time of converting from word file to html my equations which are in the word document file was convert...
1
1023
muto222
by: muto222 | last post by:
How can i add a mobile payment intergratation into php mysql website.

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.