473,898 Members | 4,391 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

text anti-aliasing on semi-transparent background

Hi,

On my website I implemented tooltip alike layers when you hover the
category items in the sidebar on the right.

See: http://www.roderik.net/

The layers that become visible have a opacity value of .8 and contain a
background image. The effect is as expexted.
However, the anti-aliasing is very poor in both Internet Explorer 7 and
Opera 9 (and prob. for other versions), in Firefox 3 the anti-aliasing
works fairly well.
Is there something I can change to the style definitions to improve the
anti-aliasing of the text in these layers in browsers other than FF?

Kind regards,

Roderik
Jun 27 '08 #1
6 5598
Roderik wrote:
The layers that become visible have a opacity value of .8 and contain a
background image. The effect is as expexted.
However, the anti-aliasing is very poor in both Internet Explorer 7 and
Opera 9 (and prob. for other versions), in Firefox 3 the anti-aliasing
works fairly well.
I don't see much of a problem with my Opera 9.27 but that may be down to
my display resolution and font size restrictions. There's hardly
anything to anti-alias!

For corporate reasons, I still have IE6. I got a couple of Javascript
errors, and the category menus don't work at all. There may be more IE6
users around than you think.

My Firefox 2.0.0.12 looks identical to Opera.

I don't know if you can make the text solid against the 80% transparency
background, but seeing the underlying black text through the category
white text was rather unsettling.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
http://www.ringers.org.uk
Jun 27 '08 #2
Steve Swift schreef:
Roderik wrote:
>The layers that become visible have a opacity value of .8 and contain
a background image. The effect is as expexted.
However, the anti-aliasing is very poor in both Internet Explorer 7
and Opera 9 (and prob. for other versions), in Firefox 3 the
anti-aliasing works fairly well.

I don't see much of a problem with my Opera 9.27 but that may be down to
my display resolution and font size restrictions. There's hardly
anything to anti-alias!
Just upgraded from 9.26 to 9.27, but the same result, not properly
anti-aliased. E.g. the A's and V's are very wiggly. However I downloaded
version 1.50b2 and there the anti-aliasing worked well. So there is hope
for the future.
For corporate reasons, I still have IE6. I got a couple of Javascript
errors, and the category menus don't work at all. There may be more IE6
users around than you think.
It doesn't use javascript for that purpose however. All javascript is
generated by WordPress (plugins). I also noticed there is an error when
using internet explorer however but it was not very informative, it said
error on line 545 character 3. However that line reads:

<li class="cat-item cat-item-5"><a
href="http://www.roderik.net/category/education/"
>education<span >Articles related to my Artificial Intelligence course,
my former Electrical Engineering course and my current course
Computational Intelligence and Robotics and whatever is going on at
uni.</span></a>

And there is no javascript there. Nor is this line considerably
different to the previous menu items. However this group might not be
appropriate to discuss that issue.
My Firefox 2.0.0.12 looks identical to Opera.
Ouch what a shame.
I don't know if you can make the text solid against the 80% transparency
background, but seeing the underlying black text through the category
white text was rather unsettling.
In that case there is no aim in making it semi-transparent. However I
preferred it that way, and I hope the majority of my visitors also does.
Jun 27 '08 #3

Roderik wrote:
Steve Swift schreef:
>Roderik wrote:
>>The layers that become visible have a opacity value of .8 and contain
a background image. The effect is as expexted.

seeing the underlying black text through the category
white text was rather unsettling.

In that case there is no aim in making it semi-transparent. However I
preferred it that way, and I hope the majority of my visitors also does.
The transparency impairs readability. Why would that be preferred?

BTW, the bg image doesn't stretch vertically to accommodate enlarged
text sizes, so the text looks like it's chopped off at the bottom.
That's what happens with white text on a white background, and is what
you get here with image loading disabled, too.

--
Berg
Jun 27 '08 #4
Roderik meinte:
Steve Swift schreef:
>For corporate reasons, I still have IE6. I got a couple of Javascript
errors, and the category menus don't work at all. There may be more
IE6 users around than you think.

It doesn't use javascript for that purpose however. All javascript is
generated by WordPress (plugins). I also noticed there is an error when
using internet explorer however but it was not very informative, it said
error on line 545 character 3. However that line reads:

<li class="cat-item cat-item-5"><a
href="http://www.roderik.net/category/education/"
>education<span >Articles related to my Artificial Intelligence course,
my former Electrical Engineering course and my current course
Computational Intelligence and Robotics and whatever is going on at
uni.</span></a>
IE reports the erroneous line in one of the *JavaScript* files, not your
main HTML page. And since some of these JS files are "packed" (why on
earth did they ever come up with this idiotic "packing"), you might have
extra problems to track it down with a MS script debugger. At least some
of the used JS "libraries" are of questionable quality (to put it
nicely), and the overall usage of those JS files give the impression,
that a script kiddie has thrown in everything, but the kitchen sink.
Gives a good idea about the "professionalit y" of wordpress plugin
"developers ".

Sorry, I got carried away. JS is an issue in c.l.javascript
Gregor
--
http://photo.gregorkofler.at ::: Landschafts- und Reisefotografie
http://web.gregorkofler.com ::: meine JS-Spielwiese
http://www.image2d.com ::: Bildagentur für den alpinen Raum
Jun 27 '08 #5
Gregor Kofler schreef:
Roderik meinte:
>Steve Swift schreef:
>>For corporate reasons, I still have IE6. I got a couple of Javascript
errors, and the category menus don't work at all. There may be more
IE6 users around than you think.

It doesn't use javascript for that purpose however. All javascript is
generated by WordPress (plugins). I also noticed there is an error
when using internet explorer however but it was not very informative,
it said error on line 545 character 3. However that line reads:

<li class="cat-item cat-item-5"><a
href="http://www.roderik.net/category/education/"
> >education<span >Articles related to my Artificial Intelligence
course, my former Electrical Engineering course and my current course
Computationa l Intelligence and Robotics and whatever is going on at
uni.</span></a>

IE reports the erroneous line in one of the *JavaScript* files, not your
main HTML page. And since some of these JS files are "packed" (why on
earth did they ever come up with this idiotic "packing"), you might have
extra problems to track it down with a MS script debugger. At least some
of the used JS "libraries" are of questionable quality (to put it
nicely), and the overall usage of those JS files give the impression,
that a script kiddie has thrown in everything, but the kitchen sink.
Gives a good idea about the "professionalit y" of wordpress plugin
"developers ".

Sorry, I got carried away. JS is an issue in c.l.javascript
Well the scriptaculous library is quite well known, although I prefer
ext these days. It is my personal web site and therefore a test place of
those things. I throw those sing in and if it doesn't work well of if it
doesn't add value IMO I remove them (after some time). Sometimes I
rewrite plugins, like the language switcher which needed a lot of
adjustments to make it work the way I wanted it. I submitted it to the
developer and the community might gain from it. I wrote web sites a long
time w/o using plugins and prebuild scripts and it took me a lot of
effort. The advance is that the plugins get updated and you don't have
to look after it so much. Although I agree if it is for a commercial
site and the budget is affordable custom code gives you much more grip
on the result. I wrote my own custom CMS for some sites but it usually
takes me a lot of time as well.
The thread was however about improving the rendering of the text on the
semi-transparent layer. Other than rejecting the assumptions there were
no to the point answers yet. It seems to be a question of time then and
not a stylesheet issue apparently.
Jun 27 '08 #6

Roderik wrote:
Bergamot schreef:
>>
The transparency impairs readability. Why would that be preferred?

Because it improves the experience (at least for me)
That's fine if you're the only one using the site. But what about your
visitors?
if we all wanted
websites to transmit information in the most efficient way the web would
have been pretty much black and white.
[rolls eyes]

Strawman arguments will get you nowhere.
>BTW, the bg image doesn't stretch vertically to accommodate enlarged
text sizes, so the text looks like it's chopped off at the bottom.

On default text size only Opera chops off
text, but only a bit.
And what about those of us who don't use the default text size? We don't
count?
A fixed height was estitically better than a box
than resizes vertically IMO.
So you aren't concerned with readability of your site, just how kewl it
looks?
I know that especially web developers resize
their text quite often
In my case, it's only so text is actually readable. Thank &deity; for
minimum font size preferences.
I just tested, even for
Firefox the whole thing becomes resized when using CTLR++.
Don't need CTRL+ when using minimum font size. Try it sometime. Mine's
at 17px.
Initially I defined a black background color apart from the
background-image, however since that impairs the transparency effect I
had to take it out.
So impaired transparency is bad but impaired readability is OK... :-\
I know that all these usability issues are to be taken into
consideration,
But you have chosen to ignore them.
but the outcome is not necceseraly that the site needs to
reach the widest audience and best usability.
It appears to be a personal site, so you can do whatever you like.
Especially not when there
is an experience trade-off
I don't see how that transparency, which is hardly noticeable except for
the black text bleeding through the white lettering, is a positive user
experience.
that involves usually a much bigger group
than those that keep turning off their images or browse with lynx or
those few disabled people with a speech browser, however those can use
the mobile alternative of the site.
It's so much easier to just disable stylesheets, or hit the 'back'
button and go somewhere else.

--
Berg
Jun 27 '08 #7

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

28
3891
by: A.Translator | last post by:
I am still struggling with an unordered list (http://www.xs4all.nl/~hogen/TaalVlinder/). The top navbar contains 4 divs with each an ul, and no padding or margins. But I get far too much white to the left and right of the lists, especially noticeble in the two right hand menu's 'flora & fauna' and afkortingen etc.'
5
1941
by: Lex | last post by:
As you may have seen in other posts I have a C# app that has custom shortcuts so I need to OwnerDraw my MenuItems. Thanx to vJ and Mick for the tips so far. I am almost there :-) My last (I hope) issue is aligning the menu text and shortcut text properly. I need it to line up as if there are two columns - 1 for the menu text and one for the shortcut text. The menu text is left justified in col 1 and shortcur text is left justified...
1
1175
by: Les Juby | last post by:
I have an excellent search script which provides the visitor with the searched for text highlighted and positioned within the context of the preceding and following 10 words. However, some of the files we then link to are very big (such as a Parliamentary Act about 30 screens deep) and I'd like to be able to position that page at the point where the searched for text is first found. No problem with passing a variable from the search...
4
1824
by: L Mehl | last post by:
Using VBA, when assigning values to variables from textboxes or comboboxes. the property "Text" or "Value" does not capitalize, yet the assignment works. In addition, appending "Text" or "Value" to the control name is not even necessary to make the assignment work. Examples: strStringValue1 = Me.cmbCombo1.value
2
1486
by: Tony Williams | last post by:
I have a query called qrylabels that is based on a table tblbospen. I want to run the query from the Switchboard and also export the results from the query to a comma separated text file called labels.txt. I know how to do these procedures individually but I want it to be a seamless operation on clicking a choice in the switchboard where the only intervention by the user would be to ask them where to save the file. Can this be done using...
9
5180
by: Alex Shirley | last post by:
Hi there I’m simply trying to check for a blank or empty value in a textbox on my webform. In this instance I do not want to use a requiredfieldvalidator, I want to use a customvalidator (as I have other code within the customvalidator which works). This won’t work (within servervalidate): If txtBox.Text.ToString = "" Then raise exception…..
5
4332
by: BluDog | last post by:
Hi I am trying to draw text in a panel. I want the width of the panel to be fixed but the height to be determined by the number of lines the text needs to cover in the panel. I also want to be able to specify the linespacing for the text. I have looked at the StringFormat class, MSDN stating: "Encapsulates text layout information (such as alignment and line
4
6827
by: Mike | last post by:
Hi, I took an interest a few months ago in an anti framebreaker javascript. All my research told me that it was impossible. If a website is loaded into a frame/iframe then if it has frame breaking javascript it will break out of that frame and there is nothing you can do about it except to screenscrape. So I decided to challenge that, and I wrote a counter javascript that forces a page to stay in a frame. It worked after months of...
7
2301
by: D.M. Procida | last post by:
<http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/noClickHeresays: When calling the user to action, use brief but meaningful link text that: * provides some information when read out of context * explains what the link offers * doesn't talk about mechanics * is not a verb phrase I'm not convinced about that last one. The suggestions on that page
1
3204
by: aagarwal8 | last post by:
Hi, My requirement is to display anit-aliased text across my application. The technique that MSDN provides for rendering anti-aliased text, can be used when drawing individual text strings. However, i want that which ever label, button text i set, it should be rendered anit- aliased. Any info on how this can be done suing C# / VB.Net
0
9994
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However, people are often confused as to whether an ONU can Work As a Router. In this blog post, we’ll explore What is ONU, What Is Router, ONU & Router’s main usage, and What is the difference between ONU and Router. Let’s take a closer look ! Part I. Meaning of...
0
9842
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can effortlessly switch the default language on Windows 10 without reinstalling. I'll walk you through it. First, let's disable language synchronization. With a Microsoft account, language settings sync across devices. To prevent any complications,...
0
11265
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers, it seems that the internal comparison operator "<=>" tries to promote arguments from unsigned to signed. This is as boiled down as I can make it. Here is my compilation command: g++-12 -std=c++20 -Wnarrowing bit_field.cpp Here is the code in...
1
10956
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows Update option using the Control Panel or Settings app; it automatically checks for updates and installs any it finds, whether you like it or not. For most users, this new feature is actually very convenient. If you want to control the update process,...
0
10488
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each protocol has its own unique characteristics and advantages, but as a user who is planning to build a smart home system, I am a bit confused by the choice of these technologies. I'm particularly interested in Zigbee because I've heard it does some...
0
9662
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing, and deployment—without human intervention. Imagine an AI that can take a project description, break it down, write the code, debug it, and then launch it, all on its own.... Now, this would greatly impact the work of software developers. The idea...
1
8036
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new presenter, Adolph Dupré who will be discussing some powerful techniques for using class modules. He will explain when you may want to use classes instead of User Defined Types (UDT). For example, to manage the data in unbound forms. Adolph will...
0
7191
by: conductexam | last post by:
I have .net C# application in which I am extracting data from word file and save it in database particularly. To store word all data as it is I am converting the whole word file firstly in HTML and then checking html paragraph one by one. At the time of converting from word file to html my equations which are in the word document file was convert into image. Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.ActiveDocument.Select();...
3
3309
bsmnconsultancy
by: bsmnconsultancy | last post by:
In today's digital era, a well-designed website is crucial for businesses looking to succeed. Whether you're a small business owner or a large corporation in Toronto, having a strong online presence can significantly impact your brand's success. BSMN Consultancy, a leader in Website Development in Toronto offers valuable insights into creating effective websites that not only look great but also perform exceptionally well. In this comprehensive...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.