473,589 Members | 2,652 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Problems with Firefox and font-family property

I am having some issues with Firefox not rendering an element with the
correct font. I am using the font-family style within a stylesheet class
definition. I then set the element I am creating to use that class and the
font is not showing correctly. If I set the font-family to "arial" or
"Comic Sans MS" the font shows correctly, however I am trying to use the
"Webdings" font, which is installed on my computer. All fonts show
correctly using IE6. Any ideas?

..cartSlct
{
font-family:webdings ;
font-size:12pt;
cursor:default;
width:5%;
}

cellSlct=newRow .insertCell(-1)
cellSlct.append Child(winDVDCar t.document.crea teTextNode("4") )

The text should display as an arrow pointing to the right
Jul 21 '05 #1
12 18348
David wrote:
I am having some issues with Firefox not rendering an element with the
correct font. I am using the font-family style within a stylesheet class
definition. I then set the element I am creating to use that class and the
font is not showing correctly. If I set the font-family to "arial" or
"Comic Sans MS" the font shows correctly, however I am trying to use the
"Webdings" font, which is installed on my computer. All fonts show
correctly using IE6. Any ideas?

.cartSlct
{
font-family:webdings ;
font-size:12pt;
cursor:default;
width:5%;
}

cellSlct=newRow .insertCell(-1)
cellSlct.append Child(winDVDCar t.document.crea teTextNode("4") )

The text should display as an arrow pointing to the right


If you want a right arrow, use the proper HTML character entity, i.e.
'→' or '→'.
Jul 21 '05 #2
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, David wrote:
however I am trying to use the "Webdings" font,
Don't do that!
http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/...e-harmful.html
which is installed on my computer.
But not on mine.
All fonts show correctly using IE6.


No! Maybe Internet Exploder shows you the page as *you expected*.
But that isn't correct. IE is broken since it displays, e.g.
<font face="Symbol">& Ouml;</font>
as a square root sign. But &Ouml; is an umlaut, not a square root.
http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nht...quareroot.html

Jul 21 '05 #3
C A Upsdell wrote:
If you want a right arrow, use the proper HTML character entity, i.e.
'&rarr;' or '→'.


Well, the right arrow that I would LIKE to use is actually the HTML
character entity '&rArr;' or '⇒' but now IE has decided it doesn't
like that one and only displays a box. In addition, how would I put an HTML
character entity reference into my createTextNode statement, it doesn't seem
to interpret anything as anything more than text.

cellSlct.append Child(winDVDCar t.document.crea teTextNode("&rA rr;"))

How should this look? (sorry if this question should actually be posted
somewhere else, but since I started the topic here....)
Jul 21 '05 #4
David wrote:
C A Upsdell wrote:

If you want a right arrow, use the proper HTML character entity, i.e.
'&rarr;' or '→'.

Well, the right arrow that I would LIKE to use is actually the HTML
character entity '&rArr;' or '⇒' but now IE has decided it doesn't
like that one and only displays a box. In addition, how would I put an HTML
character entity reference into my createTextNode statement, it doesn't seem
to interpret anything as anything more than text.

cellSlct.append Child(winDVDCar t.document.crea teTextNode("&rA rr;"))

How should this look? (sorry if this question should actually be posted
somewhere else, but since I started the topic here....)


The character entity IS text.

Jul 21 '05 #5
C A Upsdell wrote:
David wrote:
C A Upsdell wrote:

If you want a right arrow, use the proper HTML character entity, i.e.
'&rarr;' or '→'.

Well, the right arrow that I would LIKE to use is actually the HTML
character entity '&rArr;' or '⇒' but now IE has decided it doesn't
like that one and only displays a box. In addition, how would I put an
HTML character entity reference into my createTextNode statement, it
doesn't seem to interpret anything as anything more than text.

cellSlct.append Child(winDVDCar t.document.crea teTextNode("&rA rr;"))

How should this look? (sorry if this question should actually be posted
somewhere else, but since I started the topic here....)


The character entity IS text.


Ok, so since the character entity IS text, then that should mean that I
wouldn't need the quotes around it? When I leave it without the quotes I
start getting script errors in other places in my document, obviously a
result of taking it out of quotes. How should I go about creating a text
node with that value in it? Also, any ideas why IE6 won't display the
&rArr; character but has no problems displaying the other one, &rarr; ??
Sorry for my ignorance on this topic, it is all kind of new to me.
Jul 21 '05 #6
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, David wrote:
Ok, so since the character entity IS text, then that should mean
that I wouldn't need the quotes around it?
You're one step further away from what we usually discuss here, namely
some static HTML (or xhtml) with a stylesheet to propose presentation.

You're evidently generating something programmaticall y. How you do
that is your concern, I'm starting from the result of that program...

The important part, for the current discussion, is the HTML (it
defines the /content/), which makes it really off-topic for this
group, but I'm tackling the question where I found it, for now.

There are (potentially) three ways to represent a character: the coded
character itself, its numeric character reference &#number; (decimal
or hex), or, where available, a character entity &whatever;

If you decide which you prefer, and inject that with whatever software
it is that you're using, then the problem is solved, theoretically.
Also, any ideas why IE6 won't display the &rArr; character but has
no problems displaying the other one, &rarr; ??


Possibly a font limitation. The single arrows are in MS WGL4, so
they'd likely be in any current MS font that offers a wide repertoire
of basically Western characters. The double arrow is not, however.

But it seems to work for me if I choose Lucida Sans Unicode as IE's
default font.

hope this helps a bit

Remark: In general in a web context you have no idea which fonts your
readers may have available. Even if you guess, there are different
versions of the same-named font that have different (sometimes very
different) repertoires. So you do better, in a situation where
unusual characters are needed, /not/ to try to influence their font
choice from a stylesheet.
Jul 21 '05 #7
"David" <dk****@hotmail .com> wrote:
cellSlct.append Child(winDVDCar t.document.crea teTextNode("&rA rr;"))


Script elements contain character data, not parsed character data
(which may contain entites which will be parsed by the browser).

So you have to use Unicode to denote the character, "\u21D2" in this
case.

Make a post to comp.lang.javas cript, if you want to follow-up on this
subject.

Bye,
Martin
Jul 21 '05 #8

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Alan J. Flavell wrote:
There are (potentially) three ways to represent a character: the coded
character itself, its numeric character reference &#number; (decimal
or hex), or, where available, a character entity &whatever;


I gather from other followups since, that the second and third options
aren't available to you in your particular context. Apologies if I caused
any confusion.

Jul 21 '05 #9
Alan J. Flavell wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Alan J. Flavell wrote:
There are (potentially) three ways to represent a character: the coded
character itself, its numeric character reference &#number; (decimal
or hex), or, where available, a character entity &whatever;


I gather from other followups since, that the second and third options
aren't available to you in your particular context. Apologies if I caused
any confusion.


No problem, I was able to use the Unicode character code "\u21D2" to get the
character I was looking for, though I am disappointed that the character for
&rArr; will not show up on IE6 under any font I try. Anyways, thanks to
all.
Jul 21 '05 #10

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

1
2531
by: yoni cohen | last post by:
--I'm not a developer and am not very familiar with web design. But I had a quick question about Firefox I had hoped you might be able to answer. Thanks for your time and consideration!-- I just updated my blog template and am having a display problem with Firefox. Some text -- but not all text -- appears really, really small. See screenshots below. Any time or suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated!!! My site is at...
5
4009
by: news | last post by:
I've a site: http://gto.ie-studios.net/products.php that looks perfectly fine in Windows whether with IE or Firefox 1.0. But when viewed in the Linux version of Firefox 1.0, images get misaligned and breaks between then appear. Why the two different behaviors on the same browser but different OS's? Anyway, that page as an example DOES W3C HTML validate AND W3C CSS validate as well. So, there's no ERRORS per se, but I suppose there's...
6
6087
by: mike | last post by:
I have a page that uses a some javascript and it works fine in IE but fails to work in Firefox. Basically what I'm trying to do is have 3 iframes on a page but only displaying one of them at a time. A button is displayed for the two iframes that are not displayed and when the button is clicked, the corresponding iframe is shown and the other two are closed and buttons for the closed iframes are then displayed. Firefox says basically...
12
2248
by: news | last post by:
I'm having a heck of a time, and I'm hoping someone can take a quick look and see if they can recognize what might be the problem and point me the right direction. My blog page: http://www.celticbear.com/weblog/ looks fine in Firefox and Opera, but in IE6, the main body block positions itself below the left menu bar. I've W3C validated the XML Schema, HTML, and CSS and fixed a couple of errors and all three now give me a "valid"...
35
2043
by: Aaron Gray | last post by:
Hi, I have some code I just cannot seem to get to work properly on FireFox. It is probably something simple. On FireFox the following code does not seem to terminate in the browser, but it works fine on IE :- http://angray.members.beeb.net/Test/Test5.html
2
17074
by: cbjewelz | last post by:
Hey all. So I'm having problems with cross browser alignments. I'm looking at Safari and Mozilla Firefox. I develop in Safari and so it looks perfect there however in Firefox my vertical alignments and div widths are off. It's as if firefox has a different definition of a pixel than safari. Here is the url: http://theprize.chemouni.com/testing.php. When you select the Option from the pull down, the first part of the form appears. Then when...
7
4640
by: Xah Lee | last post by:
Look at this page http://xahlee.org/emacs/wrap-url.html Look at it in Firebox, look at it in Safari, in Opera, and look at it in Microsoft Internet Explorer. The only fucked up case, is Firefox. Namely, that it does not respect the font used when dealing with «width:80ex». The way to test this visually, is by this code: <pre style="border:thin black solid;
3
3115
by: Tyrone Slothrop | last post by:
I recently converted a large site to Mambo. It has come to my attention that Mac users (IE and Firefox browsers) cannot view the content of the site, though they can view the navigation. Having only Linux and Windows systems available, I cannot test and troubleshoot the site to fix. http://www.med-library.net/ The CSS validates (with lots of warnings) and there are only a couple small HTML validation problems. There are no JS...
0
2127
by: atarumorooka | last post by:
Hello, yes..it must be hard to try and help someone else coding but today is a full week of sadness and stress for IE CSS rendering and I need your help. Here you have a link that looks nice with Opera and Firefox but it shows problems with IE6 (I've no idea with IE7): http://www.fitcisl.it/fit/index.asp Here I copy the css code with the hope that someone knows a hack so to make it compatible with all the browsers. Thank you! Ataru
5
3756
by: johnric | last post by:
I can't seem to get firefox to read the image size in my javascript. It will work in IE and firefox but firefox will not read the image size. Can anyone see the problem in my code? I am new to programming and not very good at it yet.: <HTML> <HEAD> <script language="JavaScript"> //-- Generate a random number between 0 and max. function randomNum(max) { var rNum=NaN while (isNaN(rNum)) { rNum=Math.floor(Math.random()*(max))
0
7865
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can effortlessly switch the default language on Windows 10 without reinstalling. I'll walk you through it. First, let's disable language synchronization. With a Microsoft account, language settings sync across devices. To prevent any complications,...
0
8233
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers, it seems that the internal comparison operator "<=>" tries to promote arguments from unsigned to signed. This is as boiled down as I can make it. Here is my compilation command: g++-12 -std=c++20 -Wnarrowing bit_field.cpp Here is the code in...
0
8360
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven tapestry of website design and digital marketing. It's not merely about having a website; it's about crafting an immersive digital experience that captivates audiences and drives business growth. The Art of Business Website Design Your website is...
0
6637
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing, and deployment—without human intervention. Imagine an AI that can take a project description, break it down, write the code, debug it, and then launch it, all on its own.... Now, this would greatly impact the work of software developers. The idea...
1
5731
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new presenter, Adolph Dupré who will be discussing some powerful techniques for using class modules. He will explain when you may want to use classes instead of User Defined Types (UDT). For example, to manage the data in unbound forms. Adolph will...
0
5399
by: conductexam | last post by:
I have .net C# application in which I am extracting data from word file and save it in database particularly. To store word all data as it is I am converting the whole word file firstly in HTML and then checking html paragraph one by one. At the time of converting from word file to html my equations which are in the word document file was convert into image. Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.ActiveDocument.Select();...
0
3889
by: adsilva | last post by:
A Windows Forms form does not have the event Unload, like VB6. What one acts like?
1
2374
by: 6302768590 | last post by:
Hai team i want code for transfer the data from one system to another through IP address by using C# our system has to for every 5mins then we have to update the data what the data is updated we have to send another system
0
1198
bsmnconsultancy
by: bsmnconsultancy | last post by:
In today's digital era, a well-designed website is crucial for businesses looking to succeed. Whether you're a small business owner or a large corporation in Toronto, having a strong online presence can significantly impact your brand's success. BSMN Consultancy, a leader in Website Development in Toronto offers valuable insights into creating effective websites that not only look great but also perform exceptionally well. In this comprehensive...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.