473,549 Members | 2,823 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Has anyone typed up an index for the O'Reilly book "C# and VB.NET Conversion?"


Has anyone typed up an index for the O'Reilly book "C# and VB.NET
Conversion?"

I'm just learning C#, and often using this little book to see which
VB.NET terms translate directly to some term in C#. However, it's a
real hassle that the book has no index, just a table of contents.

For example, as early as page 8, the book teaches that C#'s "using"
statement is the equivalent of VB.NET's "imports" statement. However,
that concept can't be looked up using the keywords "using" or
"imports" (like, say, in an index).

Instead, you'd have to go to the table of contents and guess that you
need the section called "Namespace Declaration and Usage."
If I want a translation for VB.NET's "friend" or C#'s "internal," I
have to mentally tranlsate that to the table of contents entry "Member
Scope." And what about "void" and "sub" and so on?
What's odd is that people are complaining about this in their
Amazon.com reviews of the book, but it seems like the author (or
anyone) could type up an alpahabetical list of terms and their pages
in about one hour.

In fact, the reason that I'm posting is that I decided I'd type up
that list myself, for my own use. But then I wondered if someone else
hasn't already done exactly the same thing.

Anyone?

Dim............ .............10
Imports........ ..............8
new (instance of a class)...11
out (parameter).... .........15
semicolon...... ..............5
using.......... ..............8

etc.

That took me about 5 minutes, and I'm already a tenth of the way
through the book! So, before I continue...

Has anyone typed up a full index for the O'Reilly book "C# and VB.NET
Conversion?"
Thanks.
Nov 16 '05 #1
8 2182
Dgates <dg****@spamlin kline.com> wrote:
Has anyone typed up an index for the O'Reilly book "C# and VB.NET
Conversion?"

I'm just learning C#, and often using this little book to see which
VB.NET terms translate directly to some term in C#. However, it's a
real hassle that the book has no index, just a table of contents.


There are various other resources available. See

http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/csharp/faq/#vb.comparison

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.co m>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too
Nov 16 '05 #2
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:20:52 -0700, Dgates <dg****@spamlin kline.com>
wrote:

Has anyone typed up an index for the O'Reilly book "C# and VB.NET
Conversion?"

I'm just learning C#, and often using this little book to see which
VB.NET terms translate directly to some term in C#. However, it's a
real hassle that the book has no index, just a table of contents.

For example, as early as page 8, the book teaches that C#'s "using"
statement is the equivalent of VB.NET's "imports" statement. However,
that concept can't be looked up using the keywords "using" or
"imports" (like, say, in an index).

Instead, you'd have to go to the table of contents and guess that you
need the section called "Namespace Declaration and Usage."
If I want a translation for VB.NET's "friend" or C#'s "internal," I
have to mentally tranlsate that to the table of contents entry "Member
Scope." And what about "void" and "sub" and so on?
What's odd is that people are complaining about this in their
Amazon.com reviews of the book, but it seems like the author (or
anyone) could type up an alpahabetical list of terms and their pages
in about one hour.

In fact, the reason that I'm posting is that I decided I'd type up
that list myself, for my own use. But then I wondered if someone else
hasn't already done exactly the same thing.

Anyone?

Dim........... ..............1 0
Imports....... ............... 8
new (instance of a class)...11
out (parameter).... .........15
semicolon..... ............... 5
using......... ............... 8

etc.

That took me about 5 minutes, and I'm already a tenth of the way
through the book! So, before I continue...

Has anyone typed up a full index for the O'Reilly book "C# and VB.NET
Conversion?"
Thanks.

By the way, this came up most recently when I kept hearing people use
the word "hashtable. " I glanced at a description of C#'s hashtable
and thought, "Hmm, this looks like VB.NET's 'SortedList'!"

Neither word was in the table of contents of my little translator
book, so I started guessing what concept might contain them. "D for
Dictionary?... No... Something in the section on arrays??... No..."
Nov 16 '05 #3
i'm a big fan of the o'reilly collection, most of the books i have are
in pdf version and for instance if your looking for a VB term like
imports i would press ctrl + f, and that will pull up a search dialog
box and it will take you to every instance of the word in the document,
sometimes it can take a while, but it should be easier than the way your
doing it

Dgates wrote:
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:20:52 -0700, Dgates <dg****@spamlin kline.com>
wrote:

Has anyone typed up an index for the O'Reilly book "C# and VB.NET
Conversion? "

I'm just learning C#, and often using this little book to see which
VB.NET terms translate directly to some term in C#. However, it's a
real hassle that the book has no index, just a table of contents.

For example, as early as page 8, the book teaches that C#'s "using"
statement is the equivalent of VB.NET's "imports" statement. However,
that concept can't be looked up using the keywords "using" or
"imports" (like, say, in an index).

Instead, you'd have to go to the table of contents and guess that you
need the section called "Namespace Declaration and Usage."
If I want a translation for VB.NET's "friend" or C#'s "internal," I
have to mentally tranlsate that to the table of contents entry "Member
Scope." And what about "void" and "sub" and so on?
What's odd is that people are complaining about this in their
Amazon.com reviews of the book, but it seems like the author (or
anyone) could type up an alpahabetical list of terms and their pages
in about one hour.

In fact, the reason that I'm posting is that I decided I'd type up
that list myself, for my own use. But then I wondered if someone else
hasn't already done exactly the same thing.

Anyone?

Dim.......... ............... 10
Imports...... ............... .8
new (instance of a class)...11
out (parameter).... .........15
semicolon.... ............... .5
using........ ............... .8

etc.

That took me about 5 minutes, and I'm already a tenth of the way
through the book! So, before I continue...

Has anyone typed up a full index for the O'Reilly book "C# and VB.NET
Conversion? "
Thanks.


By the way, this came up most recently when I kept hearing people use
the word "hashtable. " I glanced at a description of C#'s hashtable
and thought, "Hmm, this looks like VB.NET's 'SortedList'!"

Neither word was in the table of contents of my little translator
book, so I started guessing what concept might contain them. "D for
Dictionary?... No... Something in the section on arrays??... No..."

Nov 16 '05 #4

I suppose so. But there's something so nice about grabbing a BOOK! A
little paper thing! Just to be able to back away from the computer
for a little bit, walk somewhere else and look at a BOOK!

(My goal, with a typed index, is that it would be printed on 1 or 2
pages and then folded inside the book.)


On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:56:32 -0700, TommyBoy <na*********@ho tmail.com>
wrote:
i'm a big fan of the o'reilly collection, most of the books i have are
in pdf version and for instance if your looking for a VB term like
imports i would press ctrl + f, and that will pull up a search dialog
box and it will take you to every instance of the word in the document,
sometimes it can take a while, but it should be easier than the way your
doing it

Dgates wrote:
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:20:52 -0700, Dgates <dg****@spamlin kline.com>
wrote:

Has anyone typed up an index for the O'Reilly book "C# and VB.NET
Conversion ?"

I'm just learning C#, and often using this little book to see which
VB.NET terms translate directly to some term in C#. However, it's a
real hassle that the book has no index, just a table of contents.

For example, as early as page 8, the book teaches that C#'s "using"
statement is the equivalent of VB.NET's "imports" statement. However,
that concept can't be looked up using the keywords "using" or
"imports" (like, say, in an index).

Instead, you'd have to go to the table of contents and guess that you
need the section called "Namespace Declaration and Usage."
If I want a translation for VB.NET's "friend" or C#'s "internal," I
have to mentally tranlsate that to the table of contents entry "Member
Scope." And what about "void" and "sub" and so on?
What's odd is that people are complaining about this in their
Amazon.com reviews of the book, but it seems like the author (or
anyone) could type up an alpahabetical list of terms and their pages
in about one hour.

In fact, the reason that I'm posting is that I decided I'd type up
that list myself, for my own use. But then I wondered if someone else
hasn't already done exactly the same thing.

Anyone?

Dim......... ............... .10
Imports..... ............... ..8
new (instance of a class)...11
out (parameter).... .........15
semicolon... ............... ..5
using....... ............... ..8

etc.

That took me about 5 minutes, and I'm already a tenth of the way
through the book! So, before I continue...

Has anyone typed up a full index for the O'Reilly book "C# and VB.NET
Conversion ?"
Thanks.


By the way, this came up most recently when I kept hearing people use
the word "hashtable. " I glanced at a description of C#'s hashtable
and thought, "Hmm, this looks like VB.NET's 'SortedList'!"

Neither word was in the table of contents of my little translator
book, so I started guessing what concept might contain them. "D for
Dictionary?... No... Something in the section on arrays??... No..."


Nov 16 '05 #5
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:25:52 +0100, Jon Skeet [C# MVP]
<sk***@pobox.co m> wrote:
Dgates <dg****@spamlin kline.com> wrote:
Has anyone typed up an index for the O'Reilly book "C# and VB.NET
Conversion?"

I'm just learning C#, and often using this little book to see which
VB.NET terms translate directly to some term in C#. However, it's a
real hassle that the book has no index, just a table of contents.


There are various other resources available. See

http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/csharp/faq/#vb.comparison

That's pretty nice, all right -- despite my wish for something I can
hold in my hand. I bookmarked it, to be sure.

Thanks.

Nov 16 '05 #6
I'd rather look at a book any second of the day, but i'm still a junior
developer, i don't make enough to buy them, so all i have are downloaded
ebooks
Dgates wrote:
I suppose so. But there's something so nice about grabbing a BOOK! A
little paper thing! Just to be able to back away from the computer
for a little bit, walk somewhere else and look at a BOOK!

(My goal, with a typed index, is that it would be printed on 1 or 2
pages and then folded inside the book.)


On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:56:32 -0700, TommyBoy <na*********@ho tmail.com>
wrote:

i'm a big fan of the o'reilly collection, most of the books i have are
in pdf version and for instance if your looking for a VB term like
imports i would press ctrl + f, and that will pull up a search dialog
box and it will take you to every instance of the word in the document,
sometimes it can take a while, but it should be easier than the way your
doing it

Dgates wrote:

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:20:52 -0700, Dgates <dg****@spamlin kline.com>
wrote:

Has anyone typed up an index for the O'Reilly book "C# and VB.NET
Conversion? "

I'm just learning C#, and often using this little book to see which
VB.NET terms translate directly to some term in C#. However, it's a
real hassle that the book has no index, just a table of contents.

For example, as early as page 8, the book teaches that C#'s "using"
statement is the equivalent of VB.NET's "imports" statement. However,
that concept can't be looked up using the keywords "using" or
"imports" (like, say, in an index).

Instead, you'd have to go to the table of contents and guess that you
need the section called "Namespace Declaration and Usage."
If I want a translation for VB.NET's "friend" or C#'s "internal," I
have to mentally tranlsate that to the table of contents entry "Member
Scope." And what about "void" and "sub" and so on?
What's odd is that people are complaining about this in their
Amazon.co m reviews of the book, but it seems like the author (or
anyone) could type up an alpahabetical list of terms and their pages
in about one hour.

In fact, the reason that I'm posting is that I decided I'd type up
that list myself, for my own use. But then I wondered if someone else
hasn't already done exactly the same thing.

Anyone?

Dim........ ............... ..10
Imports.... ............... ...8
new (instance of a class)...11
out (parameter).... .........15
semicolon.. ............... ...5
using...... ............... ...8

etc.

That took me about 5 minutes, and I'm already a tenth of the way
through the book! So, before I continue...

Has anyone typed up a full index for the O'Reilly book "C# and VB.NET
Conversion? "
Thanks.

By the way, this came up most recently when I kept hearing people use
the word "hashtable. " I glanced at a description of C#'s hashtable
and thought, "Hmm, this looks like VB.NET's 'SortedList'!"

Neither word was in the table of contents of my little translator
book, so I started guessing what concept might contain them. "D for
Dictionary?. .. No... Something in the section on arrays??... No..."


Nov 16 '05 #7
Paper is so 20th century. ;)

I used to buy books, but never really as a reference, usualy more as a way
to learn new material. Recently I've been using the library of my university
instead.

MSDN and the C# language reference documents
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/team/language/) are probably the two
things I look at the most. For anything else, there's Google.
Etienne Boucher
Nov 16 '05 #8
Etienne Boucher wrote:
Paper is so 20th century. ;)

I used to buy books, but never really as a reference, usualy more as a way
to learn new material. Recently I've been using the library of my university
instead.

MSDN and the C# language reference documents
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/team/language/) are probably the two
things I look at the most. For anything else, there's Google.
Etienne Boucher

if you need any electronic books just let me know, i have the whole
oreilly collection
Nov 16 '05 #9

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

3
1663
by: Luigi Donatello Asero | last post by:
Is an index in a database the equivalent for a <TH scope="col"> in a column of a table in the html code? -- Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia) https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/damskor-italien.php
4
3929
by: ben | last post by:
has anyone got or read this book: robert sedgewick "algorithms in c parts 1-4"? i'm having an absolute nightmare with the book. amoung other things i'm trying to construct the necessary support files needed to make use of the example programmes. (support files as in .h .c files that are #included and used to compile with). the programmes...
11
3254
by: Robert Schuldenfrei | last post by:
I am an older person trying to learn C# just for the fun of it. I am a veteran of older style languages (COBOL, FORTRAN, etc.) and I want to learn an Object Orientated language. Currently working my way through Murach's C# by Joel Murach and Doug Lowe. Since I am not taking a course, I have no one to whom I can address questions. That is...
8
2366
by: Zach | last post by:
I am looking for a good ADO.NET book to read. I know nothing about ADO as yet. If anyone has read the book - would it be ok for starters? What did you think of the book? If you didn't like the book, what would be your advice as to which book to read on the ADO .NET for a ADDO.NET- newB? Many thanks, Zach.
20
5953
by: Dennis | last post by:
I use the following code for a strongly typed arraylist and it works great. However, I was wondering if this is the proper way to do it. I realize that if I want to implement sorting of the arraylist then I have to handle this with a sort method that uses comparer. I can reference the properties of the Arraylist directly such as dim...
6
5043
by: DraguVaso | last post by:
Hi, Something I don't understand about a Typed DataSet: When a value in the DataSet is DBNull, it throws this error: "Cannot get value because it is DBNull". But aren't Typed DataSets invented to make life easier, to be able to get to tge Tables and Values with less code, in less time? But with this thing you need to add a Try-Catch...
3
11996
by: nan | last post by:
Hi All, I am trying to connect the Database which is installed in AS400 using DB2 Client Version 8 in Windows box. First i created the Catalog, then when i selected the connection type as ODBC, then i am getting
8
5552
by: shira | last post by:
I have done a fair bit of searching, but haven't yet been able to find an explanation as to why one would set "ignore nulls" to "yes" when creating an index. I understand what it does (I think), but I'm looking to understand what scenario might prompt either setting (yes or no). Any clarity you can provide is much appreciated! Thanks kindly.
169
8958
by: JohnQ | last post by:
(The "C++ Grammer" thread in comp.lang.c++.moderated prompted this post). It would be more than a little bit nice if C++ was much "cleaner" (less complex) so that it wasn't a major world wide untaking to create a toolchain for it. Way back when, there used to be something called "Small C". I wonder if the creator(s) of that would want to...
0
7480
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can effortlessly switch the default language on Windows 10 without reinstalling. I'll walk you through it. First, let's disable language...
0
7751
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers, it seems that the internal comparison operator "<=>" tries to promote arguments from unsigned to signed. This is as boiled down as I can make it. ...
0
7992
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven tapestry of website design and digital marketing. It's not merely about having a website; it's about crafting an immersive digital experience that...
1
7511
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows Update option using the Control Panel or Settings app; it automatically checks for updates and installs any it finds, whether you like it or not. For...
1
5396
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new presenter, Adolph Dupré who will be discussing some powerful techniques for using class modules. He will explain when you may want to use classes...
0
5119
by: conductexam | last post by:
I have .net C# application in which I am extracting data from word file and save it in database particularly. To store word all data as it is I am converting the whole word file firstly in HTML and then checking html paragraph one by one. At the time of converting from word file to html my equations which are in the word document file was convert...
0
3509
by: adsilva | last post by:
A Windows Forms form does not have the event Unload, like VB6. What one acts like?
1
1973
by: 6302768590 | last post by:
Hai team i want code for transfer the data from one system to another through IP address by using C# our system has to for every 5mins then we have to update the data what the data is updated we have to send another system
1
1087
muto222
by: muto222 | last post by:
How can i add a mobile payment intergratation into php mysql website.

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.