473,854 Members | 1,492 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Is there a stand alone installer for Access 2003 Runtime?

I have a desperate short term need for a way to install Access 2003
runtime on client computers. I have the proper license to do so but I
cannot seem to find the files to do it like we did with the old Access
2000 Runtime. Also, I cannot use the MS Package & Deployment wizard
because it won't allow us to install our app into the specific path
that it must be in. It only seems to allow preset macros to define
the target install path -- none of which will work for our app.

The short term solution is simply to install Access 2003 Runtime with
a separate install package.

Ultimately, we'll do it with a Wise install package. But that's a
whole Usenet group in itself and a lot of work for our app. We're
developing that now but we have beta testers who need Access 2003 NOW
and we don't want to force them to buy it.

Any advice?

Thanks folks.

-- LW
Jan 24 '06 #1
10 6124
> Deployment wizard
because it won't allow us to install our app into the specific path
that it must be in.

Hum..the package wizard on 2 of 7 allows you to choose the common settings
where your application should be installed.

They are:
Desktop, program files, Common App Data etc.

I can't imagine why you would want to install to anywhere else then those
above common directories. The options for the
target directory where your appcation installs is plenty covered by the
options given above. I see no reason why
you say you have no control as to where you application goes.
The short term solution is simply to install Access 2003 Runtime with

a separate install package.

Yes...the location of the runtime certainly can't be chosen. (but...who
cares.??? why does it matter?). To be sure, the a2003 p & d does use
whatever directory the user installed office to. And, if the location of the
directory is non standard, then it is true that the p & w CREATES WRONG
shortcuts. This is exactly why I had to dump the p & d for the a2003.

In fact, what I do is simply package the a2003 runtime with the p & d, and
then build my OWN install using iiino. The reason for this is that upgrades
are easer to do..and further, the shortcuts are correct....

So, just build the runtime install with the p & d as per above.

At this point, you now can use one of many installers to simply setup you
mde file. Remember, once the runtime is installed, then all you really have
to do is "copy" your mde file tot he users copter..and it will work. There
is noting "special" you have to do here..and it is a just a plane Jane mde
file as usual.

If things were simple..then you could use www.winzip.com.

I used to use the above WinZip for a consider amount of time (if you
registered WinZip for a very low fee..it will create self extracting zip
files for you).
After all...usually the only thing I needed to do was un-zip a mde file to a
particular directory.

So, once you have the runtime installed using the p & d...for deployment of
the mde..and building shortcuts etc....just use something else.

The best approach I found is to use the free Inno installer. It really is
nice..and is easy to use. (and it is free). And, since these innno scripts
really only have to install a mde file..and setup a few shortcuts for
you...they are very easy to write.

you can find the free inno installer here:

http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

I highly recommend using the inno for installing your mde files and setting
up shortcuts. And, I see no reason not to continue to use the access 2003
and the package wizard to deploy the runtime part...

If you *really* must change the location as to where the runtime
installs..then you can purchase some scripts here:

www.sagekey.com
--
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
pl************* ****@msn.com
http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal
Jan 24 '06 #2
Thanks Albert. Obviously, I blurred the distinction between our need
to install ART 2003 and the actual app. We must install the APP
itself to a specific, hard coded location for security reasons I am
not allowed to reveal, but the location of ART is irrelevant, as long
as it works.

I'm embarrassed to admit I did not think of using the P & D Wizard to
install just ART.
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:44:54 GMT, "Albert D. Kallal" <ka****@msn.com >
wrote:
Deployment wizard

because it won't allow us to install our app into the specific path
that it must be in.

Hum..the package wizard on 2 of 7 allows you to choose the common settings
where your application should be installed.

They are:
Desktop, program files, Common App Data etc.

I can't imagine why you would want to install to anywhere else then those
above common directories. The options for the
target directory where your appcation installs is plenty covered by the
options given above. I see no reason why
you say you have no control as to where you application goes.
The short term solution is simply to install Access 2003 Runtime with

a separate install package.

Yes...the location of the runtime certainly can't be chosen. (but...who
cares.??? why does it matter?). To be sure, the a2003 p & d does use
whatever directory the user installed office to. And, if the location of the
directory is non standard, then it is true that the p & w CREATES WRONG
shortcuts. This is exactly why I had to dump the p & d for the a2003.

In fact, what I do is simply package the a2003 runtime with the p & d, and
then build my OWN install using iiino. The reason for this is that upgrades
are easer to do..and further, the shortcuts are correct....

So, just build the runtime install with the p & d as per above.

At this point, you now can use one of many installers to simply setup you
mde file. Remember, once the runtime is installed, then all you really have
to do is "copy" your mde file tot he users copter..and it will work. There
is noting "special" you have to do here..and it is a just a plane Jane mde
file as usual.

If things were simple..then you could use www.winzip.com.

I used to use the above WinZip for a consider amount of time (if you
registered WinZip for a very low fee..it will create self extracting zip
files for you).
After all...usually the only thing I needed to do was un-zip a mde file to a
particular directory.

So, once you have the runtime installed using the p & d...for deployment of
the mde..and building shortcuts etc....just use something else.

The best approach I found is to use the free Inno installer. It really is
nice..and is easy to use. (and it is free). And, since these innno scripts
really only have to install a mde file..and setup a few shortcuts for
you...they are very easy to write.

you can find the free inno installer here:

http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

I highly recommend using the inno for installing your mde files and setting
up shortcuts. And, I see no reason not to continue to use the access 2003
and the package wizard to deploy the runtime part...

If you *really* must change the location as to where the runtime
installs..th en you can purchase some scripts here:

www.sagekey.com

Jan 24 '06 #3

Well, I have now tried this. The P & D Wizard that comes with Office
2003 Dev Ext. will not allow me to create an install package that only
includes ART 2003. It MUST include a "valid" Access MDB or MDE or
Project file. Back to square 1.

Any other ideas? Or am I overlooking something


On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:21:35 -0600, Lauren Wilson <no****@nospam. com>
wrote:
Thanks Albert. Obviously, I blurred the distinction between our need
to install ART 2003 and the actual app. We must install the APP
itself to a specific, hard coded location for security reasons I am
not allowed to reveal, but the location of ART is irrelevant, as long
as it works.

I'm embarrassed to admit I did not think of using the P & D Wizard to
install just ART.
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:44:54 GMT, "Albert D. Kallal" <ka****@msn.com >
wrote:
Deployment wizard

because it won't allow us to install our app into the specific path
that it must be in.

Hum..the package wizard on 2 of 7 allows you to choose the common settings
where your application should be installed.

They are:
Desktop, program files, Common App Data etc.

I can't imagine why you would want to install to anywhere else then those
above common directories. The options for the
target directory where your appcation installs is plenty covered by the
options given above. I see no reason why
you say you have no control as to where you application goes.
The short term solution is simply to install Access 2003 Runtime with

a separate install package.

Yes...the location of the runtime certainly can't be chosen. (but...who
cares.??? why does it matter?). To be sure, the a2003 p & d does use
whatever directory the user installed office to. And, if the location of the
directory is non standard, then it is true that the p & w CREATES WRONG
shortcuts. This is exactly why I had to dump the p & d for the a2003.

In fact, what I do is simply package the a2003 runtime with the p & d, and
then build my OWN install using iiino. The reason for this is that upgrades
are easer to do..and further, the shortcuts are correct....

So, just build the runtime install with the p & d as per above.

At this point, you now can use one of many installers to simply setup you
mde file. Remember, once the runtime is installed, then all you really have
to do is "copy" your mde file tot he users copter..and it will work. There
is noting "special" you have to do here..and it is a just a plane Jane mde
file as usual.

If things were simple..then you could use www.winzip.com.

I used to use the above WinZip for a consider amount of time (if you
registered WinZip for a very low fee..it will create self extracting zip
files for you).
After all...usually the only thing I needed to do was un-zip a mde file to a
particular directory.

So, once you have the runtime installed using the p & d...for deployment of
the mde..and building shortcuts etc....just use something else.

The best approach I found is to use the free Inno installer. It really is
nice..and is easy to use. (and it is free). And, since these innno scripts
really only have to install a mde file..and setup a few shortcuts for
you...they are very easy to write.

you can find the free inno installer here:

http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

I highly recommend using the inno for installing your mde files and setting
up shortcuts. And, I see no reason not to continue to use the access 2003
and the package wizard to deploy the runtime part...

If you *really* must change the location as to where the runtime
installs..the n you can purchase some scripts here:

www.sagekey.com

Jan 25 '06 #4

Lauren Wilson a scris:
Well, I have now tried this. The P & D Wizard that comes with Office
2003 Dev Ext. will not allow me to create an install package that only
includes ART 2003. It MUST include a "valid" Access MDB or MDE or
Project file. Back to square 1.

Any other ideas? Or am I overlooking something

Well then include a dummy mde or mdb files.

Sebastian

Jan 25 '06 #5
You really don`t need the P&D Wizard that comes with Office to install
only ART 2003. You will find the msi installer of ART 2003 in
'\Files\Accrt\A ccessrt.msi' on your Office 2003 CD. Then as Albert said
you can use a installer (Inno installer is the best you can get for
free) to install your specific app files.

Sebastian

Jan 25 '06 #6
Lauren Wilson wrote:
I have a desperate short term need for a way to install Access 2003 runtime on client
computers.
I cannot use the MS Package & Deployment wizard because it won't allow us to install our
app into the specific path that it must be in. It only seems to allow preset macros to define
the target install path -- none of which will work for our app.
The short term solution is simply to install Access 2003 Runtime with a separate install
package.


Lauren, I recommend Agentix Installer: http://www.aginstaller.com
for building install package for the runtime.

It allows you to choose the specific path where your application should
be installed, works on all versions of Windows, creates a single-exe
setups, supports multilingual installations and has a complete set of
the gentleman's features - shortcuts creation, creation of registry and
..INI entries and more. It has it's own scripting mechanism, but it's
more easy to learn and use.

It is very impressive, doing almost everything Inno Setup does, but
producing setup files 250-290Kb smaller because of the very low (48Kb
only) overhead. It is not free, but is reasonably priced.

Feb 3 '06 #7
Lauren Wilson wrote:
I have a desperate short term need for a way to install Access 2003 runtime on client
computers.
I cannot use the MS Package & Deployment wizard because it won't allow us to install our
app into the specific path that it must be in. It only seems to allow preset macros to define
the target install path -- none of which will work for our app.
The short term solution is simply to install Access 2003 Runtime with a separate install
package.


Lauren, I recommend Agentix Installer: http://www.aginstaller.com
for building install package for the runtime.

It allows you to choose the specific path where your application should
be installed, works on all versions of Windows, creates a single-exe
setups, supports multilingual installations and has a complete set of
the gentleman's features - shortcuts creation, creation of registry and
..INI entries and more. It has it's own scripting mechanism, but it's
more easy to learn and use.

It is very impressive, doing almost everything Inno Setup does, but
producing setup files 250-290Kb smaller because of the very low (48Kb
only) overhead. It is not free, but is reasonably priced.

Feb 3 '06 #8
Thanks Alexey! I'll check it out. We actually already spent about
$1000 on a combination of SageKey scripts and the Wise Installer
package. Eventually I'll manage to wade through it. In the mean time,
I need a quick, "down and dirty" install builder that I can use to
whip together an installer for JUST Access 2003 Runtime. Perhaps this
is the one.
On 2 Feb 2006 17:01:45 -0800, "Alexey Gousev" <al****@gmail.c om>
wrote:
Lauren Wilson wrote:
I have a desperate short term need for a way to install Access 2003 runtime on client
computers.
I cannot use the MS Package & Deployment wizard because it won't allow us to install our
app into the specific path that it must be in. It only seems to allow preset macros to define
the target install path -- none of which will work for our app.
The short term solution is simply to install Access 2003 Runtime with a separate install
package.


Lauren, I recommend Agentix Installer: http://www.aginstaller.com
for building install package for the runtime.

It allows you to choose the specific path where your application should
be installed, works on all versions of Windows, creates a single-exe
setups, supports multilingual installations and has a complete set of
the gentleman's features - shortcuts creation, creation of registry and
.INI entries and more. It has it's own scripting mechanism, but it's
more easy to learn and use.

It is very impressive, doing almost everything Inno Setup does, but
producing setup files 250-290Kb smaller because of the very low (48Kb
only) overhead. It is not free, but is reasonably priced.

Feb 3 '06 #9

Never mind. I figured it out.
On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 19:38:39 -0600, Lauren Wilson <no****@nospam. com>
wrote:
Thanks Alexey! I'll check it out. We actually already spent about
$1000 on a combination of SageKey scripts and the Wise Installer
package. Eventually I'll manage to wade through it. In the mean time,
I need a quick, "down and dirty" install builder that I can use to
whip together an installer for JUST Access 2003 Runtime. Perhaps this
is the one.
On 2 Feb 2006 17:01:45 -0800, "Alexey Gousev" <al****@gmail.c om>
wrote:
Lauren Wilson wrote:
I have a desperate short term need for a way to install Access 2003 runtime on client
computers.
I cannot use the MS Package & Deployment wizard because it won't allow us to install our
app into the specific path that it must be in. It only seems to allow preset macros to define
the target install path -- none of which will work for our app.
The short term solution is simply to install Access 2003 Runtime with a separate install
package.


Lauren, I recommend Agentix Installer: http://www.aginstaller.com
for building install package for the runtime.

It allows you to choose the specific path where your application should
be installed, works on all versions of Windows, creates a single-exe
setups, supports multilingual installations and has a complete set of
the gentleman's features - shortcuts creation, creation of registry and
.INI entries and more. It has it's own scripting mechanism, but it's
more easy to learn and use.

It is very impressive, doing almost everything Inno Setup does, but
producing setup files 250-290Kb smaller because of the very low (48Kb
only) overhead. It is not free, but is reasonably priced.

Feb 3 '06 #10

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

5
4933
by: Arun Bhalla | last post by:
I'm working with VS.NET 2003 and .NET 1.1 (not SP1) on Windows XP SP1. My application is using the Windows Installer Bootstrap. (I may have also installed a module which detects requirements (.NET 1.1 -> MsiNetAssembly Support.) I have a few issues and questions regarding the MSI and its properties. * This may be my biggest annoyance at the moment. When the installer creates the target directory, it's setting them as read-only. When the...
121
9818
by: David Pendrey | last post by:
I was wondering if it is at all posible to write a stand alone .EXE program in Visual Studio .NET. Hopefully in VB.NET but if not another language would be ok. Thanks for the assistance
1
2016
by: Ted Sung | last post by:
Hi, We are moving to using mysql as our db and we have some reports already written in Access. Is there a way to create a stand alone EXE that will run the report from Access and then use a DSN and have our DSN point to the mysql db instead of using Access's db? We don't want to have to install Access on everyone's machine in order to run the report. Thanks,
1
1700
by: Brenda | last post by:
I have an access database that I would like to sell and have it be a stand alone product. I am unsure what the best way to lock someone out of the tables and queries, and make it able to run if someone does not already have access on their computer. Thank you in advance for any information. Best regards, Brenda *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
2
5888
by: Lauren Wilson | last post by:
Hi folks, I am confused about how to create a stand alone installer to install Access 2003 Runtime. There are two files I have compiled into a self-extracting zip file: ACCESSRT.CAB ACCESSRT.MSI Of course, if the user extracts the files and then double clicks on
6
2022
by: Ryan Bounds | last post by:
Hi All We have upgraded from Access2000 to Access2003 with all service packs. The problem that we have is: When a user try's to filter a client the database crashes and close's Access2003, this is happening on a regular basis. We never had this problem in Access2000. Would it be something to do with code?
7
4745
by: Ulrich Wisser | last post by:
Hi, I would like to stop the postmaster every night and run vacuum pg_dump reindex in the stand alone backend.
11
3912
by: pg | last post by:
My old HD crashes, so I had to do a total re-install. After installer XP, I went to the Micrsoft Update site to get all the update. After 5 hours or so ... the update cycle started looping. You see, it wanted to install the Dot Net Framework for me, so okay, I let the Update site do the download the installation.
0
9901
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However, people are often confused as to whether an ONU can Work As a Router. In this blog post, we’ll explore What is ONU, What Is Router, ONU & Router’s main usage, and What is the difference between ONU and Router. Let’s take a closer look ! Part I. Meaning of...
0
11024
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers, it seems that the internal comparison operator "<=>" tries to promote arguments from unsigned to signed. This is as boiled down as I can make it. Here is my compilation command: g++-12 -std=c++20 -Wnarrowing bit_field.cpp Here is the code in...
1
10752
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows Update option using the Control Panel or Settings app; it automatically checks for updates and installs any it finds, whether you like it or not. For most users, this new feature is actually very convenient. If you want to control the update process,...
0
10370
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each protocol has its own unique characteristics and advantages, but as a user who is planning to build a smart home system, I am a bit confused by the choice of these technologies. I'm particularly interested in Zigbee because I've heard it does some...
0
9513
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing, and deployment—without human intervention. Imagine an AI that can take a project description, break it down, write the code, debug it, and then launch it, all on its own.... Now, this would greatly impact the work of software developers. The idea...
0
7079
by: conductexam | last post by:
I have .net C# application in which I am extracting data from word file and save it in database particularly. To store word all data as it is I am converting the whole word file firstly in HTML and then checking html paragraph one by one. At the time of converting from word file to html my equations which are in the word document file was convert into image. Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.ActiveDocument.Select();...
0
5741
by: TSSRALBI | last post by:
Hello I'm a network technician in training and I need your help. I am currently learning how to create and manage the different types of VPNs and I have a question about LAN-to-LAN VPNs. The last exercise I practiced was to create a LAN-to-LAN VPN between two Pfsense firewalls, by using IPSEC protocols. I succeeded, with both firewalls in the same network. But I'm wondering if it's possible to do the same thing, with 2 Pfsense firewalls...
0
5941
by: adsilva | last post by:
A Windows Forms form does not have the event Unload, like VB6. What one acts like?
3
3186
bsmnconsultancy
by: bsmnconsultancy | last post by:
In today's digital era, a well-designed website is crucial for businesses looking to succeed. Whether you're a small business owner or a large corporation in Toronto, having a strong online presence can significantly impact your brand's success. BSMN Consultancy, a leader in Website Development in Toronto offers valuable insights into creating effective websites that not only look great but also perform exceptionally well. In this comprehensive...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.