473,713 Members | 4,341 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Driver's License Mag stripe data

I've ordered a mag stripe reader for Driver's Licenses but I want to
get a jump on raw data parsing. I have the
stdAAMVADLIDCar dSpecs_092003.p df which defines the structure of the
raw data, but I would like to double check before I start writing
parsing routines.

Does anyone have raw AAMVA data? The data doesn't have to be real but
the structure has to be correct.

Thanks
Tom
Nov 13 '05 #1
8 10444
Tom Warren wrote:
I've ordered a mag stripe reader for Driver's Licenses but I want to
get a jump on raw data parsing. I have the
stdAAMVADLIDCar dSpecs_092003.p df which defines the structure of the
raw data, but I would like to double check before I start writing
parsing routines.

Does anyone have raw AAMVA data? The data doesn't have to be real but
the structure has to be correct.

Thanks
Tom


This will be a slippery slope my friend since very few state strictly
adhere to the AAMVA standard. In addition states support at least two
different formats - magnetic stripes and 3-D barcodes. Some states
support both.

You might consider purchasing a library from a company already handling
this complexity - Positive Access has a product (I think it is IDecode).
It will be well worth it in the long run.

If nothing else check the Positive Access website for leads on what
states implement which stripe/barcode system and how they deviate from
the standards.

And, of course, each year's drivers license may vary from the previous
year so not only do you have to track each state, each stripe type but
also each year for the different methods used.

Good luck.

--
'---------------
'John Mishefske
'---------------
Nov 13 '05 #2

John,

Thanks for your honest offer of help but solving problems that spook
others is what I do.

I will check out this site for any information they have to offer.

Thanks again
Tom

*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
Nov 13 '05 #3
Tom Warren wrote:
John,

Thanks for your honest offer of help but solving problems that spook
others is what I do.

I will check out this site for any information they have to offer.

Thanks again
Tom

*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***


OK - it spooked me; but I didn't have a client willing to pay me to do
this <gr>. Certainly the AAMVA standard is very important and the Feds
are using carrots to get the states to standardize.

We welcome more competition in this field so we can all benefit!

BTW.. I think I said 3-D barcodes... well holographs aren't a reality
yet - I meant 2-D barcodes!

--
'---------------
'John Mishefske
'---------------
Nov 13 '05 #4
John,

John,

If you did say 3-D, don't worry bout it, I heard 2-D. I do have
clients will to pay. They have very busy customer intake areas
and every new customer must have a record and proof of age, so if I
can eliminate just 75 percent (to start) of manual data entry
especially during high traffic periods they'll be "off the hook"
happy.

This bottleneck at intake causes them to schedule an additional
employee for new customer data entry when they run "first time free"
promotions and because all the data entry is universally hated among
their staff and is creating mini-mutinies which could become full
blown mutinies within a staff that has a sales nature.

Tom

On Mon, 02 May 2005 22:47:04 -0500, John Mishefske
<mi************ @JUNKtds.net> wrote:
Tom Warren wrote:
John,

Thanks for your honest offer of help but solving problems that spook
others is what I do.

I will check out this site for any information they have to offer.

Thanks again
Tom

*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***


OK - it spooked me; but I didn't have a client willing to pay me to do
this <gr>. Certainly the AAMVA standard is very important and the Feds
are using carrots to get the states to standardize.

We welcome more competition in this field so we can all benefit!

BTW.. I think I said 3-D barcodes... well holographs aren't a reality
yet - I meant 2-D barcodes!


Nov 13 '05 #5
Tom,

It has been some years since I've done this, but I was able to
successfully read drivers licenses using a keyboard with mag stripe
reader ("Cherry keyboard") for a customer processing application. Most
of the licenses were issued in Florida, so there was some consistency
but not as much as you think. Note that you will receive information
from multiple tracks on the mag stripe, each with a different segment
of information. I believe that some tracks were missing on some cards.

I remember that I scanned several licenses into text files using the
mag reader and developed a parsing routine based on that sample. I set
up the scanner to send a command (Control-something) before the start
of the scan (track 1) which opened a little form that would catch the
scanned text. I also had the scanner send a carriage return at the end
of the scan (track 3 in my case) which would effectively click a
command button on the form to start the processing.

The client is still using the application and I can see that they've
successfully scanned thousands of drivers licenses, so I know it works.

I can't seem to find any old raw scans, but I still have the parsing
routines so if I can be of any help, let me know.

Bill E.
Hollywood, FL

Nov 13 '05 #6
Bill,

Thanks for the great offer! I'll take you up on it. There's way more
info in your reply than you may know,
1) I'm also in Florida (Deerfield Beach) and will be scanning
primarily FL DL's.
2) It's nice to know that your client has been running the application
for years (I'm assuming from that, that FL's Mag Stripe encoding has
been basically un-changed for years, although it won't change my plans
for version control.)

I looked into the Cherry keyboards, but the cheapest 3 track I found
was around $200. I settled in on a MagTek 3 track keyboard wedge for
$69. Besides the $130 difference, MagTek's web-site also provides a
keyboard wedge .OCX that has some helpful Methods for
retreiving/parsing track data and a very useful card swipe Event.

I'll send you a screen shot of the Access application (for research
and .OCX testing) I finished this morning, if your interested, I'll
send the test .MDB and .OCX.

I would like to look at you parsing code, so check you mail.

Thank a lot.
Tom

On 3 May 2005 04:21:01 -0700, bi********@nets cape.net wrote:
It has been some years since I've done this, but I was able to
successfully read drivers licenses using a keyboard with mag stripe
reader ("Cherry keyboard") for a customer processing application. Most
of the licenses were issued in Florida, so there was some consistency
but not as much as you think. Note that you will receive information
from multiple tracks on the mag stripe, each with a different segment
of information. I believe that some tracks were missing on some cards.

I remember that I scanned several licenses into text files using the
mag reader and developed a parsing routine based on that sample. I set
up the scanner to send a command (Control-something) before the start
of the scan (track 1) which opened a little form that would catch the
scanned text. I also had the scanner send a carriage return at the end
of the scan (track 3 in my case) which would effectively click a
command button on the form to start the processing.

The client is still using the application and I can see that they've
successfully scanned thousands of drivers licenses, so I know it works.

I can't seem to find any old raw scans, but I still have the parsing
routines so if I can be of any help, let me know.


Nov 13 '05 #7
Tom,

I e-mailed you my code. If you don't receive it or have problems, let
me know.

Bill

Nov 13 '05 #8
Tom Warren wrote:
If you did say 3-D, don't worry bout it, I heard 2-D. I do have
clients will to pay. They have very busy customer intake areas
and every new customer must have a record and proof of age, so if I
can eliminate just 75 percent (to start) of manual data entry
especially during high traffic periods they'll be "off the hook"
happy.

This bottleneck at intake causes them to schedule an additional
employee for new customer data entry when they run "first time free"
promotions and because all the data entry is universally hated among
their staff and is creating mini-mutinies which could become full
blown mutinies within a staff that has a sales nature.

Tom


Here's an active open source project that looks at magstripes

http://stripesnoop.sourceforge.net/

Might provide a few ideas.

Interesting site but a bit off-topic:

http://makezine.com/01/magstripe/
http://www.makezine.com/extras/3.html
--
'---------------
'John Mishefske
'---------------
Nov 13 '05 #9

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

6
9678
by: Raquel | last post by:
This is the scenario: We have DB2 Connect EE V8.1 installed on Sun sever. On my Windows PC, I have DB2 UDB PE 8.1 installed (Expiry date "Permanent"). When I try to access z/OS data using type 2 driver through a Java program on my PC, works fine. However, when I try to access z/OS data using type 4 driver through a Java program on my PC, it gives a message:
8
16593
by: deegs_ca | last post by:
So I had my jdbc db28.2 fix pack 9 client running because I had taken the jars from <DB2ROOT>/java folder from Enterprise Edition 8.2 fix pack 9, db2java.zip, db2jcc.zip, and the license jar. Using these everything works. But then I wanted to make sure that I was using the redistributable jars (type 4 ) available from ibm.com. So I downloaded them from ibm. But they blow up in my face.... I'm using db2jcc.jar and the license file...
2
1811
by: clwoods | last post by:
I would like to ask is thier a better way to store data other than access tables, I would still like to keep access as the front end. My main quest I suppose is for more speed and maybe security. your thoughts are appreciated Many Thanks Colin
6
2013
by: stefaan.lhermitte | last post by:
Dear mysql-ians, I am using mysql 5.0 and I want to load a huge txt-file in my database. My text file (file.txt) looks like: col1 col2 col3 ... col200 col1 col2 col3 ... col200 .... col1 col2 col3 ... col200
3
22837
by: Anoop | last post by:
Is it true that there are no type 4 jdbc drivers to connect to a DB2 server v7.1? The DB2 server is hosted on ACF2 (OS/390). We would be connecting from windows and solaris boxes. If it is true, what are my options? Will I have to install db2 connect on every client machine that needs to connect to the DB2 servers? Is the DB2 Connect freely available or will we have to purchase it? I have also read on this group that we can install DB2...
4
3652
by: Kirk Wolf | last post by:
I apologize if this is available in a FAQ somewhere. My question is this: The DB2 Universal Driver jars are shipped with DB2 for z/OS (db2jcc.jar and db2jcc_license_cisuz.jar). If a developer wants to use these on his workstation (for type-4 connections), does the license allow you to download them and use them? I assume not.
4
2292
by: Neil | last post by:
Is there a problem with stability when one uses too many text (memo) fields? I'm having a problem with data from one record occasionally ending up in another record, though apparently not through any user interaction. I'm using SQL 7 and accessing the tables through the ODBC driver. There are two tables with a one-to-one relationship -- TableA and TableB. TableB is the one that's having this occasional problem. TableB has about 30 text...
2
7155
by: metparker | last post by:
Hi everyone. I am trying to create a web form that will let search for records. the form will display the results on a screen that will enable the viewer to edit the record and then re-save it or cancel if wanted. I have the database. its has sample data. I can see the sample data from another machine. 'ssh'd' into the server and running mysql with appropriate commands. I have forms to retrieve the data and display the data on the screen...
0
8794
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However, people are often confused as to whether an ONU can Work As a Router. In this blog post, we’ll explore What is ONU, What Is Router, ONU & Router’s main usage, and What is the difference between ONU and Router. Let’s take a closer look ! Part I. Meaning of...
0
9300
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers, it seems that the internal comparison operator "<=>" tries to promote arguments from unsigned to signed. This is as boiled down as I can make it. Here is my compilation command: g++-12 -std=c++20 -Wnarrowing bit_field.cpp Here is the code in...
0
9166
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven tapestry of website design and digital marketing. It's not merely about having a website; it's about crafting an immersive digital experience that captivates audiences and drives business growth. The Art of Business Website Design Your website is...
0
9007
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each protocol has its own unique characteristics and advantages, but as a user who is planning to build a smart home system, I am a bit confused by the choice of these technologies. I'm particularly interested in Zigbee because I've heard it does some...
0
7939
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing, and deployment—without human intervention. Imagine an AI that can take a project description, break it down, write the code, debug it, and then launch it, all on its own.... Now, this would greatly impact the work of software developers. The idea...
1
6620
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new presenter, Adolph Dupré who will be discussing some powerful techniques for using class modules. He will explain when you may want to use classes instead of User Defined Types (UDT). For example, to manage the data in unbound forms. Adolph will...
0
5942
by: conductexam | last post by:
I have .net C# application in which I am extracting data from word file and save it in database particularly. To store word all data as it is I am converting the whole word file firstly in HTML and then checking html paragraph one by one. At the time of converting from word file to html my equations which are in the word document file was convert into image. Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.ActiveDocument.Select();...
0
4459
by: TSSRALBI | last post by:
Hello I'm a network technician in training and I need your help. I am currently learning how to create and manage the different types of VPNs and I have a question about LAN-to-LAN VPNs. The last exercise I practiced was to create a LAN-to-LAN VPN between two Pfsense firewalls, by using IPSEC protocols. I succeeded, with both firewalls in the same network. But I'm wondering if it's possible to do the same thing, with 2 Pfsense firewalls...
2
2509
muto222
by: muto222 | last post by:
How can i add a mobile payment intergratation into php mysql website.

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.