473,517 Members | 2,721 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Creating Shortcuts that Microsoft Left Out on XP

bartonc
6,596 Recognized Expert Expert
There are many applets and other goodies on Windows that must be run by using a command:

The normal way to access these tools is to go to the Start menu and click Run. Then type in the name of the command that you want to run.

It's not the most productive or efficient way to get to XP's tools and goodies. That's where desktop shortcuts really come in handy!

One tool that I often find useful on Windows XP Professional is the Group Policy Editor. GPE is actually a snap-in for the Microsoft Management Console and there is no simple way to launch it. I'll take you through how i turned it into a desktop shortcut for easy one click access.

Right-click the desktop. Pull down to New, then over to Shortcut.

In the Create Shortcut wizard, click Browse. Browse you way to C:\Windows\system32. Find and select the gpedit.msc file, then click Next (of course, if you don't mind typing and know exactly the path and program, you may do that instead). On the last screen of the wizard, give your new shortcut a useful name and click Finish.

Presto! No more going to Run and typing the name of the command. You should see a shortcut on your desktop. To make it even more convenient drag the shortcut to your toolbar.

Jul 28 '07 #1
2 7514
Niheel
2,456 Recognized Expert Moderator Top Contributor
Clint helped with getting the screenshots. Already updated to vista64. Screenshots are XP Classic mode for those who are wondering why it doesn't look like XP.
Apr 27 '08 #2
MMcCarthy
14,534 Recognized Expert Moderator MVP
Excellent hint and something (else) I didn't know. Do you ever find the more you learn the more you find out you don't know. :)
Apr 27 '08 #3

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: Lex | last post by:
As you may have seen in other posts I have a C# app that has custom shortcuts so I need to OwnerDraw my MenuItems. Thanx to vJ and Mick for the tips so far. I am almost there :-) My last (I hope) issue is aligning the menu text and shortcut text properly. I need it to line up as if there are two columns - 1 for the menu text and one for...
by: DraguVaso | last post by:
Hi, In my application, on some given actions while debugging in Visual Studio, I suddenly get a "System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception was unhandled" Message="Error creating window handle." exception. The problem is that this exception isn't raised somewhere in a method, so it just shows up, and it causes the application to shut down. ...
by: Richard Johansson | last post by:
Hi, I want to create an option for creating shortcuts to my application on the users desktop and Start menu in the setup. In my deployment project i have created the necessary checkboxes, and tried to set Conditions on the folders "User's desktop" and "User's Program Menu", but the conditions doesnt seem to affect shortcuts, only physical...
by: Jefferson Cowart | last post by:
I'm looking for a way to create new shortcuts for a user. While I realize I could just pre-create all the shortcuts and just copy them in. I would prefer just to be able to specify the file i want to store it in along with the URL and have it created on demand. Is there a way I can do this?
by: richard | last post by:
i want to add shorcuts like ALT+M or CTRL+k to my windows application. is it posible to define shortcuts and catch them? Thanks Richard
by: Marius Rus | last post by:
I have an application write in c# and i want to offer to the user to create himself shortcuts with icons for the main menu items. I will very much appreciate if will receive an helping hand. Thank you
by: tomp | last post by:
Does anyone know how to create file shortcuts in a VB program?
by: Xah Lee | last post by:
http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization.html ] The Modernization of Emacs ---------------------------------------- THE PROBLEM Emacs is a great editor. It is perhaps the most powerful and most versatile text editor. And, besides text editing, it also serves as a
by: Dmenace | last post by:
Microsoft blows my mind sometimes, what the hell were they thinking? Oh, wait they weren't, that's right. Anyway, I've got a Setup and Deployment added to my project, and it does everything I want it to, with 1 exception. I have created the infamous fonts folder in order for it to install fonts, but it's only putting shortcuts to them in the...
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However, people are often confused as to whether an ONU can Work As a Router. In this blog post, we’ll explore What is ONU, What Is Router, ONU & Router’s main...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can effortlessly switch the default language on Windows 10 without reinstalling. I'll walk you through it. First, let's disable language...
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers, it seems that the internal comparison operator "<=>" tries to promote arguments from unsigned to signed. This is as boiled down as I can make it. ...
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven tapestry of website design and digital marketing. It's not merely about having a website; it's about crafting an immersive digital experience that...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows Update option using the Control Panel or Settings app; it automatically checks for updates and installs any it finds, whether you like it or not. For...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new presenter, Adolph Dupré who will be discussing some powerful techniques for using class modules. He will explain when you may want to use classes...
by: adsilva | last post by:
A Windows Forms form does not have the event Unload, like VB6. What one acts like?
by: 6302768590 | last post by:
Hai team i want code for transfer the data from one system to another through IP address by using C# our system has to for every 5mins then we have to update the data what the data is updated we have to send another system
muto222
by: muto222 | last post by:
How can i add a mobile payment intergratation into php mysql website.

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.