473,574 Members | 2,307 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Viewing Crystal Reports from Other Workstations on Network

I have developed an application with VB.NET, which includes the Crystal
Reports (Visual Studio .NET 2003 edition) controls. I can run the
application on my PC and it does work fine, but on any other PC it throws an
error message once the user tries to view an existing Crystal Report file.
How can I use my application to view Crystal Reports from other PCs? Do I
have to include the .RPT files in the VB.NET project? What about when .RPT
files change?

Are there some good KB articles or something to guide me through all of
this? The client to use this application has Crystal Reports XI, which of
course is not the same version as I have on my PC with VS.NET.

- Thanks,

JRD

Nov 21 '05 #1
4 3746
John R. Dougherty wrote:
I have developed an application with VB.NET, which includes the Crystal
Reports (Visual Studio .NET 2003 edition) controls. I can run the
application on my PC and it does work fine, but on any other PC it throws an
error message once the user tries to view an existing Crystal Report file.
How can I use my application to view Crystal Reports from other PCs? Do I
have to include the .RPT files in the VB.NET project? What about when .RPT
files change?

Are there some good KB articles or something to guide me through all of
this? The client to use this application has Crystal Reports XI, which of
course is not the same version as I have on my PC with VS.NET.

- Thanks,

JRD


Are you making an install package for the second machine? To run
crystal reports on a seperate machine you need to make an install.
Crystal requires some files that do not come as part of the .Net
framework install. When you create the installer it will add the files
to the installer needed for crystal.

You do not have to have the rpt file included in your project, you can
reference it as a file.

Hope this helps.
Chris
Nov 21 '05 #2
Okay Chris, that may help significantly. I am still new to the VB.NET
environment, and was thinking that when the .EXE was built, I would have all
the supporting files available between it and the .NET framework installed on
other machines.

Should I have a way to built install packages included with my VS.NET
package, or what is the easiest way to create an install package?

- Thanks,

JRD

"Chris" wrote:
John R. Dougherty wrote:
I have developed an application with VB.NET, which includes the Crystal
Reports (Visual Studio .NET 2003 edition) controls. I can run the
application on my PC and it does work fine, but on any other PC it throws an
error message once the user tries to view an existing Crystal Report file.
How can I use my application to view Crystal Reports from other PCs? Do I
have to include the .RPT files in the VB.NET project? What about when .RPT
files change?

Are there some good KB articles or something to guide me through all of
this? The client to use this application has Crystal Reports XI, which of
course is not the same version as I have on my PC with VS.NET.

- Thanks,

JRD


Are you making an install package for the second machine? To run
crystal reports on a seperate machine you need to make an install.
Crystal requires some files that do not come as part of the .Net
framework install. When you create the installer it will add the files
to the installer needed for crystal.

You do not have to have the rpt file included in your project, you can
reference it as a file.

Hope this helps.
Chris

Nov 21 '05 #3
John R. Dougherty wrote:
Okay Chris, that may help significantly. I am still new to the VB.NET
environment, and was thinking that when the .EXE was built, I would have all
the supporting files available between it and the .NET framework installed on
other machines.

Should I have a way to built install packages included with my VS.NET
package, or what is the easiest way to create an install package?

- Thanks,

JRD

"Chris" wrote:

John R. Dougherty wrote:
I have developed an application with VB.NET, which includes the Crystal
Reports (Visual Studio .NET 2003 edition) controls. I can run the
applicatio n on my PC and it does work fine, but on any other PC it throws an
error message once the user tries to view an existing Crystal Report file.
How can I use my application to view Crystal Reports from other PCs? Do I
have to include the .RPT files in the VB.NET project? What about when .RPT
files change?

Are there some good KB articles or something to guide me through all of
this? The client to use this application has Crystal Reports XI, which of
course is not the same version as I have on my PC with VS.NET.

- Thanks,

JRD


Are you making an install package for the second machine? To run
crystal reports on a seperate machine you need to make an install.
Crystal requires some files that do not come as part of the .Net
framework install. When you create the installer it will add the files
to the installer needed for crystal.

You do not have to have the rpt file included in your project, you can
reference it as a file.

Hope this helps.
Chris


There is an deployment type of project in Visual Studio. That is what
you need to use. It may depend on what version of visual studio you
have. Not too sure what comes in Pro vs Standard. Just do a google
search on deploying crystal reports with vb.net or look in the help
file, there are some step by steps in there.

You are correct that when you build a .net app all the files are there
for you already. The hiccup in your thinking is that crystal reports is
not part of the framework, it's a 3rd party tool that just happens to
ship with visual studio.

Hope it helps.
Chris
Nov 21 '05 #4
Hello again!

I built my install package and ran it on a second PC. The install worked
fine, and delivered my .EXE properly. It even appears to have delivered all
the Crystal*.* related .DLL files. However, when I try to view the actual
..RPT file from my program on this secondary PC, I am getting the error
message:

"Cannot find KeyCodeV2.dll, or invalid keycode"

Where do I go from here?

- Thanks,

JRD
"Chris" wrote:
John R. Dougherty wrote:
Okay Chris, that may help significantly. I am still new to the VB.NET
environment, and was thinking that when the .EXE was built, I would have all
the supporting files available between it and the .NET framework installed on
other machines.

Should I have a way to built install packages included with my VS.NET
package, or what is the easiest way to create an install package?

- Thanks,

JRD

"Chris" wrote:

John R. Dougherty wrote:

I have developed an application with VB.NET, which includes the Crystal
Reports (Visual Studio .NET 2003 edition) controls. I can run the
applicatio n on my PC and it does work fine, but on any other PC it throws an
error message once the user tries to view an existing Crystal Report file.
How can I use my application to view Crystal Reports from other PCs? Do I
have to include the .RPT files in the VB.NET project? What about when .RPT
files change?

Are there some good KB articles or something to guide me through all of
this? The client to use this application has Crystal Reports XI, which of
course is not the same version as I have on my PC with VS.NET.

- Thanks,

JRD
Are you making an install package for the second machine? To run
crystal reports on a seperate machine you need to make an install.
Crystal requires some files that do not come as part of the .Net
framework install. When you create the installer it will add the files
to the installer needed for crystal.

You do not have to have the rpt file included in your project, you can
reference it as a file.

Hope this helps.
Chris


There is an deployment type of project in Visual Studio. That is what
you need to use. It may depend on what version of visual studio you
have. Not too sure what comes in Pro vs Standard. Just do a google
search on deploying crystal reports with vb.net or look in the help
file, there are some step by steps in there.

You are correct that when you build a .net app all the files are there
for you already. The hiccup in your thinking is that crystal reports is
not part of the framework, it's a 3rd party tool that just happens to
ship with visual studio.

Hope it helps.
Chris

Nov 21 '05 #5

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

1
3448
by: Mithun Verma | last post by:
Hello All, I have a Windows application that uses Crystal Reports 9 (bundled Version) developed using VS.NET 2003 on a windows server 2003 m/c. The application has to be deployed on the client machine that has Windows XP installed. Before deploying we make sure that .NET framework 1.1 is installed on the XP machine. In the setup project, for...
1
2010
by: Tilted | last post by:
Hi I have an application which has been deployed and worked fine on all previous workstations, it is c# based and uses Crystal connecting directly to MSDE using stored procedures and the ConnectionInfo object. I design the report on the dev machine, connecting to a local install of MSDE, I don't use integrated security on any of these...
2
1638
by: Atley | last post by:
I have imbedded a report in my project (added a report to my project and set some fields) How the heck do I access the report in my program? I have looked on MSDN and searched for a walkthrough... I can't find anything that tells me how to use the report viewer or how to bring it up on screen...
3
3397
by: Parasyke | last post by:
I see a lot of jobs advertized for people knowing Crystal Reports. I tried to use this platform 6 years ago and found it awkward and difficult. I find Access, using ODBC, to grab data and build reports to be an easier solution for me anyway. So what is all the fuss about Crystal Reports? Why use it, why learn it, why not tell an employer you...
0
2962
by: John Smith | last post by:
Hello, I am developing a VB.NET 2003 application that will use lots of Crystal Reports. Sometimes the users will preview a report in a Crystal report viewer, and sometimes they will send the report directly to the printer bypassing the Crystal report viewer altogether. When sending the job directly to the printer I use the PrintToPrinter...
1
2652
by: Sher Dil | last post by:
07.02.2007 / 2020 hours. I am basically working as an astrologer, and have developed my own software in VB6.0 + Access + Crystal Report 4.6.1.0 What ever I select (I enter code, which automatically displays name on Label) and after clicking Command button, crystal report is displayed on screen. Subsequently I close the report and go in...
1
1826
by: JRWarring | last post by:
I have a VB application with about 75 installations that uses the Crystal Control (Version 7.0) to print Crystal RPTs. On about 7 of these installations the clients are getting duplicate lines (usually on the last page or a single page report). 1) Using the same data (and reports) we cannot create this problem on any workstations execpt the 7...
0
943
by: sanjaynoughty | last post by:
Hello again! I built my install package and ran it on a second PC. The install worked fine, and delivered my .EXE properly. It even appears to have delivered all the Crystal*.* related .DLL files. However, when I try to view the actual ..RPT file from my program on this secondary PC, I am getting the error message: "Cannot find...
0
2324
by: Mark Gold | last post by:
Hi! We have a VB application using Crystal Reports 6 that has worked successfully on hundreds of systems for over 10 years. Now, on one network, the application and access database does not close. It seems to hang on the command. When we open the application an peruse the screens without opening up a report (using crystal reports), the...
0
7832
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However, people are often confused as to whether an ONU can Work As a Router. In this blog post, we’ll explore What is ONU, What Is Router, ONU & Router’s main...
1
7843
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows Update option using the Control Panel or Settings app; it automatically checks for updates and installs any it finds, whether you like it or not. For...
0
8129
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each protocol has its own unique characteristics and advantages, but as a user who is planning to build a smart home system, I am a bit confused by the...
0
6498
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing, and deployment—without human intervention. Imagine an AI that can take a project description, break it down, write the code, debug it, and then...
1
5643
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new presenter, Adolph Dupré who will be discussing some powerful techniques for using class modules. He will explain when you may want to use classes...
0
3768
by: TSSRALBI | last post by:
Hello I'm a network technician in training and I need your help. I am currently learning how to create and manage the different types of VPNs and I have a question about LAN-to-LAN VPNs. The last exercise I practiced was to create a LAN-to-LAN VPN between two Pfsense firewalls, by using IPSEC protocols. I succeeded, with both firewalls in...
0
3785
by: adsilva | last post by:
A Windows Forms form does not have the event Unload, like VB6. What one acts like?
1
2262
by: 6302768590 | last post by:
Hai team i want code for transfer the data from one system to another through IP address by using C# our system has to for every 5mins then we have to update the data what the data is updated we have to send another system
0
1094
bsmnconsultancy
by: bsmnconsultancy | last post by:
In today's digital era, a well-designed website is crucial for businesses looking to succeed. Whether you're a small business owner or a large corporation in Toronto, having a strong online presence can significantly impact your brand's success. BSMN Consultancy, a leader in Website Development in Toronto offers valuable insights into creating...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.