By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
459,747 Members | 1,759 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 459,747 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

activating the Save As command by JS

P: n/a
Dear all,

Is there any way to activate the Save As command from Javascript. I
would like to have a "Save as" button on a page which has been
dynamically created (client side using document.writeln) so that the
user can save a copy.
I am working towards cross browser compatibility so any help for any
browser would be good.

I know I could put up a bit of text telling the user what the shortcut
key is but thats not as pretty.

I am also aware that JS does not allow writing to the hard-disk (quite
right too) but hopefully there is a way to do what I'm asking.

Cheers,

Martin

Jul 20 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
10 Replies


P: n/a
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:30:55 +0000, Martin Dale
<md******@landrover.zzcom/no_zz> wrote:
Dear all,

Is there any way to activate the Save As command from Javascript. I
would like to have a "Save as" button on a page which has been
dynamically created (client side using document.writeln) so that the
user can save a copy.
I am working towards cross browser compatibility so any help for any
browser would be good.

I know I could put up a bit of text telling the user what the shortcut
key is but thats not as pretty.

I am also aware that JS does not allow writing to the hard-disk (quite
right too) but hopefully there is a way to do what I'm asking.


Sorry, but there isn't. Furthermore, indicating the shortcut isn't very
cross-browser compatible.

Whilst most browsers will use similar shortcuts and menu layouts to make
life easier for users, you can't guarantee success. Particularly as Opera
users, like me (and others in this group), can redefine shortcuts at will.
You best bet would be to point the user towards their menubar.

By the way, I'm not sure whether saving a generated page will save the
original source code or the resulting output. That too, might depend on
the browser.

Mike

--
Michael Winter
M.******@blueyonder.co.invalid (replace ".invalid" with ".uk" to reply)
Jul 20 '05 #2

P: n/a
In article <op**************@news-text.blueyonder.co.uk>,
Michael Winter <M.******@blueyonder.co.invalid> wrote:
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:30:55 +0000, Martin Dale
<md******@landrover.zzcom/no_zz> wrote:
Dear all,

Is there any way to activate the Save As command from Javascript. I
would like to have a "Save as" button on a page which has been
dynamically created (client side using document.writeln) so that the
user can save a copy.
I am working towards cross browser compatibility so any help for any
browser would be good.

I know I could put up a bit of text telling the user what the shortcut
key is but thats not as pretty.

I am also aware that JS does not allow writing to the hard-disk (quite
right too) but hopefully there is a way to do what I'm asking.


Sorry, but there isn't. Furthermore, indicating the shortcut isn't very
cross-browser compatible.

Whilst most browsers will use similar shortcuts and menu layouts to make
life easier for users, you can't guarantee success. Particularly as Opera
users, like me (and others in this group), can redefine shortcuts at will.
You best bet would be to point the user towards their menubar.

By the way, I'm not sure whether saving a generated page will save the
original source code or the resulting output. That too, might depend on
the browser.


No, a browser will never be able to read the source code of a
dynamically created page such as PHP or ASP.

It would have to be dynamically created by the browser if the browser
should have access to the code.
Jul 20 '05 #3

P: n/a
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:16:27 +0100, Sandman <mr@sandman.net> wrote:
In article <op**************@news-text.blueyonder.co.uk>,
Michael Winter <M.******@blueyonder.co.invalid> wrote:
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:30:55 +0000, Martin Dale
<md******@landrover.zzcom/no_zz> wrote:
[...] a page which has been dynamically created (client side using
document.writeln) [...]

[snip]
By the way, I'm not sure whether saving a generated page will save the
original source code or the resulting output. That too, might depend on
the browser.


No, a browser will never be able to read the source code of a
dynamically created page such as PHP or ASP.


Ermm, both I and the OP were referring to generation through JavaScript. I
am well aware that browsers don't receive server-side code, only the
output of it.

Mike

--
Michael Winter
M.******@blueyonder.co.invalid (replace ".invalid" with ".uk" to reply)
Jul 20 '05 #4

P: n/a
Sandman wrote:
In article <op**************@news-text.blueyonder.co.uk>,
Michael Winter <M.******@blueyonder.co.invalid> wrote:

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:30:55 +0000, Martin Dale
<md******@landrover.zzcom/no_zz> wrote:
By the way, I'm not sure whether saving a generated page will save the
original source code or the resulting output. That too, might depend on
the browser.

No, a browser will never be able to read the source code of a
dynamically created page such as PHP or ASP.

It would have to be dynamically created by the browser if the browser
should have access to the code.


I think he is referring to JS-modified pages. And typically what you get
is the original page.
Example:

Page is loaded, you change the innerHTML property of the body tag, and
reload some new data, do a File>Save As and then open the saved page,
you will get the original page.

If you use a document.write, after the page loads, to "regenerate" a new
page, and then File>Save As, you get the generated code.
--
Randy
Chance Favors The Prepared Mind
comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq/

Jul 20 '05 #5

P: n/a
In article <op**************@news-text.blueyonder.co.uk>,
Michael Winter <M.******@blueyonder.co.invalid> wrote:
By the way, I'm not sure whether saving a generated page will save the
original source code or the resulting output. That too, might depend on
the browser.


No, a browser will never be able to read the source code of a
dynamically created page such as PHP or ASP.


Ermm, both I and the OP were referring to generation through JavaScript. I
am well aware that browsers don't receive server-side code, only the
output of it.


Then I apologize. My mistake. :)

--
Sandman[.net]
Jul 20 '05 #6

P: n/a
Randy Webb wrote:
Sandman wrote:
In article <op**************@news-text.blueyonder.co.uk>,
Michael Winter <M.******@blueyonder.co.invalid> wrote:

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:30:55 +0000, Martin Dale
<md******@landrover.zzcom/no_zz> wrote:
By the way, I'm not sure whether saving a generated page will save
the original source code or the resulting output. That too, might
depend on the browser.


No, a browser will never be able to read the source code of a
dynamically created page such as PHP or ASP.

It would have to be dynamically created by the browser if the browser
should have access to the code.

I think he is referring to JS-modified pages. And typically what you get
is the original page.
Example:

Page is loaded, you change the innerHTML property of the body tag, and
reload some new data, do a File>Save As and then open the saved page,
you will get the original page.

If you use a document.write, after the page loads, to "regenerate" a new
page, and then File>Save As, you get the generated code.

What I actually meant was that in page 1 I open a new window
new_win = open();
then write stuff into that page (based on selections made in page 1)
using document.writeln statements (I use writeln to write the
<html><head> etc too).
When you view the source of this generated page it is just standard HTML
which you can save away to reload another day.

Martin

Jul 20 '05 #7

P: n/a

Martin Dale wrote:
*Dear all,

Is there any way to activate the Save As command from Javascript. I
would like to have a "Save as" button on a page which has been
dynamically created (client side using document.writeln) so that the
user can save a copy.
I am working towards cross browser compatibility so any help for any
browser would be good.

I know I could put up a bit of text telling the user what th
shortcut
key is but thats not as pretty.

I am also aware that JS does not allow writing to the hard-dis
(quite
right too) but hopefully there is a way to do what I'm asking.

Cheers,

Martin *


Try this for IE:
document.execCommand("SaveAs", true);

--
http://www.hibrosoft.co

----
Andy_

Jul 20 '05 #8

P: n/a
"Andy_p" <An***********@mail.forum4designers.com> wrote in message
news:An***********@mail.forum4designers.com...

Martin Dale wrote:
*Dear all,
Andy_p


If you are trying to respond to someone on Usenet it would be a good
idea to use posting software that builds a References header for your
message in accordance with RFC 1036 -"Standard for Interchange of USENET
Messages" (1987). Which means going somewhere other than
forum4designes.com.

Richard.
Jul 20 '05 #9

P: n/a
Richard Cornford wrote:
"Andy_p" <An***********@mail.forum4designers.com> wrote in message
news:An***********@mail.forum4designers.com...
Please shorten your attribution since that makes
threads with your postings easier legible:
<http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote1.html#ss1.1>
If you are trying to respond to someone on Usenet it would be a good
idea to use posting software that builds a References header for your
message in accordance with RFC 1036 -"Standard for Interchange of USENET
Messages" (1987). Which means going somewhere other than
forum4designes.com.


The References header of his posting is OK.
PointedEars
Jul 20 '05 #10

P: n/a
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
<snip>
The References header of his posting is OK.


Yes I know. I think I hit the wrong message when I activated the view
source opting on my newsreader and confused myself by expecting a
forum4designers post to be wrong when they may actually have fixed the
References aspect of their software. (Which may just leave the
undesirable prefixing of "Re: " to the subject header of original posts
as the only obvious error remaining).

Richard.
Jul 20 '05 #11

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.