By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
437,605 Members | 2,153 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 437,605 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Making a ListBox of CheckBoxes ???

P: n/a
http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/night...structure.html

I would like to completely understand how GUI controls such as this
one are constructed. In the ideal case I would like to see all of the
source code for a complete working example of a ListBox of CheckBoxes.

Aug 4 '08 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
8 Replies


P: n/a
On 4 Aug, 14:43, PeteOlcott <PeteOlc...@gmail.comwrote:
*http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/night...x/grid/tests/t....

I would like to completely understand how GUI controls such as this
one are constructed. In the ideal case I would like to see all of the
source code for a complete working example of a ListBox of CheckBoxes.
So feel free to view the source and work through the programming
steps.

I don't understand why you othered to tell us this?
Aug 4 '08 #2

P: n/a
On Aug 4, 8:58*am, Captain Paralytic <paul_laut...@yahoo.comwrote:
On 4 Aug, 14:43, PeteOlcott <PeteOlc...@gmail.comwrote:
*http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/night...x/grid/tests/t...
I would like to completely understand how GUI controls such as this
one are constructed. In the ideal case I would like to see all of the
source code for a complete working example of a ListBox of CheckBoxes.

So feel free to view the source and work through the programming
steps.

I don't understand why you othered to tell us this?
(1) I don't know how to find the source for things such as:
dojo.require("dojox.grid._Grid");
dojo.require("dojo.parser");

(2) It was explained to me that this source is very likely convolulted
with many other levels of include files, most aspects of which are not
directly relevant to the simple task of including CheckBoxes in a
ListBox.
Aug 4 '08 #3

P: n/a
On Aug 4, 4:35 pm, PeteOlcott wrote:
On Aug 4, 8:58 am, Captain Paralytic wrote:
>On 4 Aug, 14:43, PeteOlcott wrote:
<snip>
>>I would like to completely understand how GUI controls such
as this one are constructed. In the ideal case I would like
to see all of the source code for a complete working example
of a ListBox of CheckBoxes.
>So feel free to view the source and work through the
programming steps.
>I don't understand why you othered to tell us this?

(1) I don't know how to find the source for things such as:
dojo.require("dojox.grid._Grid");
dojo.require("dojo.parser");
Understanding what those methods do would probably provide sufficient
information. Other options include clearing your browser's cache,
downloading the page and then looking at what is in the cache (it
should then be everything associated with the page including all JS
files), or using a web debugging proxy (such as Charles or Fiddler) to
record the HTTP traffic associated with the loading of the web page.

<URL: http:///www.xk72.com/charles >
(2) It was explained to me that this source is very likely
convolulted with many other levels of include files,
Absolutely. Even if you knew what you were looking for tracing the
details of that specific application through the code for something as
massive as dojo would be troublesome.
most aspects of which are not directly relevant to the
simple task of including CheckBoxes in a ListBox.
That is assuming the task is simple. It is certainly sounds relative
simple in comparison to what the URL you referred to must be getting
up to but as most references to 'ListBox' in the context of HTML web
page mean the various forms of the HTML SELECT element, and it is
impossible to put an <INPUT type="checkbox"element inside a SELECT
element, the implied requirement is impossible. In reality you mean
that you want some sort of outcome in which checkboxes are presented
in some specific way, and possibly an associated behaviour from those
checkboxes, but you might have to explain more before standing a
chance of getting any closer to that outcome.
Aug 4 '08 #4

P: n/a
PeteOlcott wrote:
On Aug 4, 8:58 am, Captain Paralytic <paul_laut...@yahoo.comwrote:
>On 4 Aug, 14:43, PeteOlcott <PeteOlc...@gmail.comwrote:
>> http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/night...x/grid/tests/t...
I would like to completely understand how GUI controls such as this
one are constructed. In the ideal case I would like to see all of the
source code for a complete working example of a ListBox of CheckBoxes.
So feel free to view the source and work through the programming
steps.

I don't understand why you othered to tell us this?

(1) I don't know how to find the source for things such as:
dojo.require("dojox.grid._Grid");
dojo.require("dojo.parser");
Poor darling. That does not bode well for your being successful in this
matter. Start with reading this newsgroup and its FAQ, learning (about)
the underlying programming language(s) and how to debug them:

<http://jibbering.com/faq/>
(2) It was explained to me that this source is very likely convolulted
with many other levels of include files, most aspects of which are not
directly relevant to the simple task of including CheckBoxes in a
ListBox.
Comment the "include files" out, from bottom to top. If what you want to
achieve still works as supposed (without and error message), they are
unnecessary in the tested environment. (That's simple, isn't it?)

Still, one really wonders what exactly you are asking for here -- others
debugging your cluelessly copy-pasted junk code for free so that they
eventually may be able to explain to you, in words that your limited
experience allows you to understand, how it works (or does not work)?

<http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>

BTW, please use test newsgroups for test postings, not this newsgroup.
As for your posting problem, Usenet is simply _not_ a multi-user Internet
chat. It can take a while before your article shows up even at your own
news server. And Google Groups maintains but a Usenet server with only a
Web interface, so this takes even longer and client-side caching may also
interfere.
PointedEars
--
Use any version of Microsoft Frontpage to create your site.
(This won't prevent people from viewing your source, but no one
will want to steal it.)
-- from <http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help/hidesource.htm>
Aug 4 '08 #5

P: n/a
On Aug 4, 10:55*am, Henry <rcornf...@raindrop.co.ukwrote:
On Aug 4, 4:35 pm, PeteOlcott wrote:


On Aug 4, 8:58 am, Captain Paralytic wrote:
On 4 Aug, 14:43, PeteOlcott wrote:
<snip>
>I would like to completely understand how GUI controls such
as this one are constructed. In the ideal case I would like
to see all of the source code for a complete working example
of a ListBox of CheckBoxes.
So feel free to view the source and work through the
programming steps.
I don't understand why you othered to tell us this?
(1) I don't know how to find the source for things such as:
*dojo.require("dojox.grid._Grid");
*dojo.require("dojo.parser");

Understanding what those methods do would probably provide sufficient
information. Other options include clearing your browser's cache,
downloading the page and then looking at what is in the cache (it
should then be everything associated with the page including all JS
files), or using a web debugging proxy (such as Charles or Fiddler) to
record the HTTP traffic associated with the loading of the web page.

<URL: http:///www.xk72.com/charles>
(2) It was explained to me that this source is very likely
convolulted with many other levels of include files,

Absolutely. Even if you knew what you were looking for tracing the
details of that specific application through the code for something as
massive as dojo would be troublesome.
most aspects of which are not directly relevant to the
simple task of including CheckBoxes in a ListBox.

That is assuming the task is simple. It is certainly sounds relative
simple in comparison to what the URL you referred to must be getting
up to but as most references to 'ListBox' in the context of HTML web
page mean the various forms of the HTML SELECT element, and it is
impossible to put an <INPUT type="checkbox"element inside a SELECT
element, the implied requirement is impossible. In reality you mean
that you want some sort of outcome in which checkboxes are presented
in some specific way, and possibly an associated behaviour from those
checkboxes, but you might have to explain more before standing a
chance of getting any closer to that outcome.- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -
The example that I provided shows (from the user's point of view)
CheckBoxes inside a ListBox. It may be the case that there is no such
thing as CheckBoxes inside of ListBoxes within HTML, JavaScript or any
combination of these two. Some how some way (at least from the user's
point of view) CheckBoxes were placed inside of a ListBox. I want to
understand the details about how this was done.

I am guessing that this was done by taking a native HTML CheckBox, and
placing it inside a manually created ListBox. I need to know whether
or not this guess is correct, and the other underlying details of the
mechanisms involved.

Aug 4 '08 #6

P: n/a
On Aug 4, 5:15 pm, PeteOlcott wrote:
On Aug 4, 10:55 am, Henry wrote:
<snip>
>... , but you might have to explain more before standing a
chance of getting any closer to that outcome.

The example that I provided shows (from the user's point
of view) CheckBoxes inside a ListBox.
If you say the word "ListBox" to a user you will very likely get a
blank look in response.
It may be the case that there is no such thing as
CheckBoxes inside of ListBoxes within HTML,
There is no such thing as a checkbox inside a SELECT element, and
SELECT elements are commonly vaguely labelled "ListBox" by HTML
authors who don't know the terminology of HTML.
JavaScript or any combination of these two. Some how some
way (at least from the user's point of view) CheckBoxes
were placed inside of a ListBox.
The checkboxes look like they are placed inside an element with
scrolling overflow (a sized element with CSS overflow:scroll' or
overflow:auto; (probably the latter)). They may have been placed
inside an element with hidden overflow and some fake scrollbars
provided to control the scrolling, or any of any number of similar
alternatives.
I want to understand
the details about how this was done.

I am guessing that this was done by taking a native HTML CheckBox,
and placing it inside a manually created ListBox.
Maybe if "manually created ListBox" had meaning.
I need to know whether or not this guess is correct, and the
other underlying details of the mechanisms involved.
Well there is way more mechanism involved in that example than has any
relevance to what you are talking about. At its simples what you are
describing is something like:-

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title></title>
</head>
<body>

<div style="overflow:auto;width:6em;height:10em;">
<table>
<tr><td>A:</td><td><input type="checkbox"></td></tr>
<tr><td>B:</td><td><input type="checkbox"></td></tr>
<tr><td>C:</td><td><input type="checkbox"></td></tr>
<tr><td>D:</td><td><input type="checkbox"></td></tr>
<tr><td>E:</td><td><input type="checkbox"></td></tr>
<tr><td>F:</td><td><input type="checkbox"></td></tr>
<tr><td>G:</td><td><input type="checkbox"></td></tr>
<tr><td>H:</td><td><input type="checkbox"></td></tr>
<tr><td>I:</td><td><input type="checkbox"></td></tr>
<tr><td>J:</td><td><input type="checkbox"></td></tr>
<tr><td>K:</td><td><input type="checkbox"></td></tr>
<tr><td>L:</td><td><input type="checkbox"></td></tr>
</table>
<div>

</body>
</html>

- which does not involve any scripting at all.
Aug 4 '08 #7

P: n/a
On Aug 4, 11:57*am, Henry <rcornf...@raindrop.co.ukwrote:
On Aug 4, 5:15 pm, PeteOlcott wrote:
On Aug 4, 10:55 am, Henry wrote:
<snip>
... , but you might have to explain more before standing a
chance of getting any closer to that outcome.
The example that I provided shows (from the user's point
of view) CheckBoxes inside a ListBox.

If you say the word "ListBox" to a user you will very likely get a
blank look in response.
It may be the case that there is no such thing as
CheckBoxes inside of ListBoxes within HTML,

There is no such thing as a checkbox inside a SELECT element, and
SELECT elements are commonly vaguely labelled "ListBox" by HTML
authors who don't know the terminology of HTML.
JavaScript or any combination of these two. Some how some
way (at least from the user's point of view) CheckBoxes
were placed inside of a ListBox.

The checkboxes look like they are placed inside an element with
scrolling overflow (a sized element with CSS overflow:scroll' or
overflow:auto; (probably the latter)). They may have been placed
inside an element with hidden overflow and some fake scrollbars
provided to control the scrolling, or any of any number of similar
alternatives.
I want to understand
the details about how this was done.
I am guessing that this was done by taking a native HTML CheckBox,
and placing it inside a manually created ListBox.

Maybe if "manually created ListBox" had meaning.
I need to know whether or not this guess is correct, and the
other underlying details of the mechanisms involved.

Well there is way more mechanism involved in that example than has any
relevance to what you are talking about. At its simples what you are
describing is something like:-

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
* *"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
* * <head>
* * * * <title></title>
* * </head>
* * <body>

<div style="overflow:auto;width:6em;height:10em;">
* * <table>
* * * * <tr><td>A:</td><td><input type="checkbox"></td></tr>
* * * * <tr><td>B:</td><td><input type="checkbox"></td></tr>
* * * * <tr><td>C:</td><td><input type="checkbox"></td></tr>
* * * * <tr><td>D:</td><td><input type="checkbox"></td></tr>
* * * * <tr><td>E:</td><td><input type="checkbox"></td></tr>
* * * * <tr><td>F:</td><td><input type="checkbox"></td></tr>
* * * * <tr><td>G:</td><td><input type="checkbox"></td></tr>
* * * * <tr><td>H:</td><td><input type="checkbox"></td></tr>
* * * * <tr><td>I:</td><td><input type="checkbox"></td></tr>
* * * * <tr><td>J:</td><td><input type="checkbox"></td></tr>
* * * * <tr><td>K:</td><td><input type="checkbox"></td></tr>
* * * * <tr><td>L:</td><td><input type="checkbox"></td></tr>
* * </table>
<div>

* * </body>
</html>

- which does not involve any scripting at all.
Great, that was exactly what I was looking for, thanks.
Aug 4 '08 #8

P: n/a
PeteOlcott wrote:
http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/night...structure.html

I would like to completely understand how GUI controls such as this
one are constructed. In the ideal case I would like to see all of the
source code for a complete working example of a ListBox of CheckBoxes.
The example at the link you posted is not a "ListBox", it is a set of
tables inside DIV elements. Scrolling is controlled by javascript, the
size and position of the elements by CSS.

To explain the script, HTML and CSS to the extent that you "completely
understand" it would likely take several days. To document it would
take longer.

In any case, as a general web solution, you are much better off to put
the data into a table and leave it at that. The linked example is slow,
jerky annoying to use.
--
Rob
Aug 4 '08 #9

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.