470,636 Members | 1,516 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 470,636 developers. It's quick & easy.

Showing focus

I have a problem with not seeing the current focus while in a particular
screen in a my app. The focus does not show for a type=text or
textarea. I have tried to reproduce this problem in a test application,
but have not been successful is doing that.

The actual app has a screen which is displayed on a template and the
contents are the return from an AJAX call. In that content there is a
hidden block. Clicking on a button in the displayed area causes that
hidden block to appear (with a gray background in a fixed location on
the screen). It is in that area that I have both text fields and text
areas. I also have dropdown lists and buttons. Only the text areas and
text fields do not display focus when there, but I can type into them so
I know that focus is there.

For my test app I copied the CSS file that I had been using and placed
my content within the same two named <div>s where the actual content
appears on the template. With this test app there is no problem. The
test app is at http://www.sheldonlg.com/multiplesel...multiples5.php.

I don't even know where to start looking for the problem. I did a
search in Google for "ht ml showfocus", but that wasn't much help.

Any suggestions?

(crossposted in comp.lang.javascript and alt.html)
Mar 18 '08 #1
11 1660
sheldonlg wrote:
http://www.sheldonlg.com/multiplesel...multiples5.php.
404

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
Mar 18 '08 #2
SAM
sheldonlg a écrit :
I have a problem with not seeing the current focus while in a particular
screen in a my app. The focus does not show for a type=text or
textarea. I have tried to reproduce this problem in a test application,
but have not been successful is doing that.

The actual app has a screen which is displayed on a template and the
contents are the return from an AJAX call. In that content there is a
hidden block. Clicking on a button in the displayed area causes that
hidden block to appear (with a gray background in a fixed location on
the screen). It is in that area that I have both text fields and text
areas. I also have dropdown lists and buttons. Only the text areas and
text fields do not display focus when there, but I can type into them so
I know that focus is there.
CSS (for others than IE) :

input { background: silver }
input:focus { background: white }

HTML :

<input onfocus="if(IE) this.background='white';"
onblur="if(IE) this.background='';"
id="hiddenInput" name="Name">

JS :

IE = false; /*@cc_on IE=true; @*/

is your div styled visibity: hidden; or display: none; ?

is your div in same form that the form in rear when this div comes at
front ?

does that happens also with Firefox ?
--
sm
Mar 18 '08 #4
SAM
sheldonlg a écrit :
>>
http://www.sheldonlg.com/multiplesel.../multiple5.php
Apparently no problem with focus (Fx 2 Mac)

--
sm
Mar 18 '08 #5
SAM wrote:
sheldonlg a écrit :
>>>
http://www.sheldonlg.com/multiplesel.../multiple5.php

Apparently no problem with focus (Fx 2 Mac)
Correct! This is the sample app and it works. I cannot reproduce the
problem in a simple app, and I cannot point you to the actual app since
that is behind firewalls and accessible only via VPN (it is an intranet
app). If I could reproduce the problem in a simple app, I would be 3/4
of the way to a solution.
Mar 18 '08 #6
SAM wrote:
sheldonlg a écrit :
>I have a problem with not seeing the current focus while in a
particular screen in a my app. The focus does not show for a
type=text or textarea. I have tried to reproduce this problem in a
test application, but have not been successful is doing that.

The actual app has a screen which is displayed on a template and the
contents are the return from an AJAX call. In that content there is a
hidden block. Clicking on a button in the displayed area causes that
hidden block to appear (with a gray background in a fixed location on
the screen). It is in that area that I have both text fields and text
areas. I also have dropdown lists and buttons. Only the text areas
and text fields do not display focus when there, but I can type into
them so I know that focus is there.

CSS (for others than IE) :

input { background: silver }
input:focus { background: white }

HTML :

<input onfocus="if(IE) this.background='white';"
onblur="if(IE) this.background='';"
id="hiddenInput" name="Name">

JS :

IE = false; /*@cc_on IE=true; @*/

is your div styled visibity: hidden; or display: none; ?

is your div in same form that the form in rear when this div comes at
front ?

does that happens also with Firefox ?

I tried the CSS stuff. That does what it says, but it doesn't solve my
problem. Let me more precise.

When that form comes up, the cursor everywhere is that left-up pointing
arrow. When the mouse is over a text field or a text area element, the
cursor changes to a vertical I-beam. However, the blinking vertical
line does not appear in the text field or the text area if I click on
them to set focus there. However, focus is set there as I can type in
information. I want to have that blinking vertical bar on as visual
feedback as to where the focus is.
Mar 18 '08 #7
On Mar 18, 7:14 pm, sheldonlg <sheldonlgwrote:
When that form comes up, the cursor everywhere is that left-up
pointing
arrow. When the mouse is over a text field or a text area element, the
cursor changes to a vertical I-beam. However, the blinking vertical
line does not appear in the text field or the text area if I click on
them to set focus there. However, focus is set there as I can type in
information. I want to have that blinking vertical bar on as visual
feedback as to where the focus is.
It is difficult to see what the problem is without an
exact-ish example.
Did you try, instead of changing visibility from hidden to visible,
to change with JavaScript the value of inner.HTML
Mar 18 '08 #8
my*******************@googlemail.com wrote:
On Mar 18, 7:14 pm, sheldonlg <sheldonlgwrote:
When that form comes up, the cursor everywhere is that left-up
pointing
>arrow. When the mouse is over a text field or a text area element, the
cursor changes to a vertical I-beam. However, the blinking vertical
line does not appear in the text field or the text area if I click on
them to set focus there. However, focus is set there as I can type in
information. I want to have that blinking vertical bar on as visual
feedback as to where the focus is.

It is difficult to see what the problem is without an
exact-ish example.
I know. I wish I could reproduce it here.
Did you try, instead of changing visibility from hidden to visible,
to change with JavaScript the value of inner.HTML
No, there is much to much to generate to then use an innerHTML setting.
Mar 18 '08 #9
On Mar 18, 7:57 pm, sheldonlg <sheldonlgwrote:
>
It is difficult to see what the problem is without an
exact-ish example.

I know. I wish I could reproduce it here.
Did you try, instead of changing visibility from hidden to visible,
to change with JavaScript the value of inner.HTML

No, there is much to much to generate to then use an innerHTML setting.
Just to state the obvious:
check for error messages in the Firefox error console,
check valid HTML, CSS etc.
I see that you use in your example tables in the form.
Maybe try the form without tables, just in case,
sometimes tables in forms can create problems.
Mar 18 '08 #10
SAM
sheldonlg a écrit :
>
No, there is much to much to generate to then use an innerHTML setting.
With your last test : Oll Korrect with Fx (mouse's pointer over fields)

Next test with a form in rear ?

--
sm
Mar 19 '08 #11
SAM
sheldonlg a écrit :
>
I tried the CSS stuff. That does what it says, but it doesn't solve my
problem. Let me more precise.

When that form comes up, the cursor everywhere is that left-up pointing
arrow. When the mouse is over a text field or a text area element, the
cursor changes to a vertical I-beam.
input:hover, textarea:hover { cursor: text }

#dimensions input:hover[type=text] { cursor: text }
#dimensions input:focus[type=text] { cursor: wait }

<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/ui.html#propdef-cursor>
However, the blinking vertical
line does not appear in the text field or the text area if I click on
them to set focus there.
I have no solution for that.
Overall I can't get this not blinking cursor

--
sm
Mar 19 '08 #12

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

5 posts views Thread by Martin | last post: by
6 posts views Thread by sandy_pt_in | last post: by
1 post views Thread by melanieab | last post: by
1 post views Thread by Luke R | last post: by
1 post views Thread by Korara | last post: by
???
reply views Thread by Stoney L | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.