469,646 Members | 1,367 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 469,646 developers. It's quick & easy.

Text size on webpages

Hi

this may be a stupid question, but anyway!

I have created a website with a few pages. I have noticed that when I
change the IE browser text size ( through the view menu -> text size)
to largest everything is blown up very large. Is there a way to change
the html code so that the text won't be blown up to much? without
changing the font in the html to a very small size?

Regards

Jul 23 '05 #1
5 1531
On 29/06/2005 10:39, Michael Landberg wrote:
I have noticed that when I change the IE browser text size ( through
the view menu -> text size) to largest everything is blown up very
large.


I don't quite see what that has to do with scripting, but it sounds like
you're using em units to size text. Whilst that should be fine, IE
manages to make a mess of it. Use percentages instead.

If that doesn't help, post a link.

[snip]

Mike

--
Michael Winter
Replace ".invalid" with ".uk" to reply by e-mail.
Jul 23 '05 #2
Hi

Thank you for responding. What I also meant was that when I open some
webpages ( e.g. www.leaseplan.com or www.cnn.com etc.) and set the text
size to largest, i see that the web page text does not change at all.
How can I do the same for my website? What code/font or whatever must I
use to accomplish that?

Regards

Jul 23 '05 #3
On 29/06/2005 23:10, Michael Landberg wrote:
What I also meant was that when I open some webpages [...] and set
the text size to largest, i see that the web page text does not
change at all.
How can I do the same for my website?
You shouldn't even try. It's bad for your users. Many will have bad
eyesight, and ten pixel-high fonts will hinder their ability to use your
site even more.

If you want to do this because non-standard font sizes break your
design, then fix it. Read up on producing fluid layouts.
What code/font or whatever must I use to accomplish that?


What you're observing is a bug in IE. Nothing more. Decent browsers will
never allow a site to prevent text resizing, and will allow users to
/force/ a minimum.

Mike

--
Michael Winter
Replace ".invalid" with ".uk" to reply by e-mail.
Jul 23 '05 #4
"Michael Landberg" <go********@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:11**********************@g49g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
Hi

Thank you for responding. What I also meant was that when I open some
webpages ( e.g. www.leaseplan.com or www.cnn.com etc.) and set the text
size to largest, i see that the web page text does not change at all.
How can I do the same for my website? What code/font or whatever must I
use to accomplish that?

Regards


CSS. For example:
<html>
<head>
<title>CSS.htm</title>
<style type="text/css">
body { font-family:Arial,Helvetica; font-size:12pt }
td { font-family:Verdana,Helvetica; font-size:10pt }
th { font-family:Verdana,Helvetica; font-size:10pt; font-weight:bold }
</style>
</head>
<body>
Hello World!
<br>
<table border="0" width="60">
<tr><th>#<hr></th></tr>
<tr><td align="center">2</td></tr>
<tr><td align="center">3</td></tr>
</table>
</body>
</html>
Jul 23 '05 #5
McKirahan wrote:
"Michael Landberg" <go********@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:11**********************@g49g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
Hi

Thank you for responding. What I also meant was that when I open some
webpages ( e.g. www.leaseplan.com or www.cnn.com etc.) and set the text
size to largest, i see that the web page text does not change at all.
How can I do the same for my website? What code/font or whatever must I
use to accomplish that?

Regards

CSS. For example:


And even the bug ridden IE6 allows users to veto that. Tools>Internet
Options>Accessibility>Ignore font sizes/syles specified in webpages.

<snip>

--
Randy
comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq & newsgroup weekly
Jul 23 '05 #6

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

9 posts views Thread by Billy | last post: by
2 posts views Thread by tgundeck | last post: by
4 posts views Thread by Arif Çimen | last post: by
reply views Thread by gheharukoh7 | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.