By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
446,332 Members | 1,506 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 446,332 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Note to new-comers

P: n/a
A particular poster on this newsgroup portrays him/herself as being helpful,
and regularly posts the following three links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_programming_language

The poster in question goes by the alias Kenny McCormack (also the name of a
cartoon character). The poster in question is a troll, and does not
contribute to the group.

The first link leads to an encyclopaedic description of the term "clique".

The second link leads to an encyclopaedic description of the medical
condition, "Asperger syndrome", which is considered a form of autism. The
troll implies that participants of this group may present with the condition.
This paints a picture of a very pathetic human being, completely insensitive
to other people's feelings.

The pathetic human being in question takes entertainment from posting
insensitive information, and makes no positive contribution to an otherwise
pleasant group.

Looking at the headers of his posts, it appears that he is posting from
Ireland (where I myself live). There is an e-mail address to which you can
send complaints:

ab***@xmission.com

A friend of mine works in Eircom (the primary national telephone and internet
provider), and I have asked him if he can see about getting this person
banned from their service.

In the meantime, I shall send complaints to ab***@xmission.com, referring
them to the many posts in which he presents those three links.

--

Frederick Gotham
Jul 7 '06 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
12 Replies


P: n/a
On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 14:51:18 GMT, Frederick Gotham
<fg*******@SPAM.comwrote:
>The poster in question goes by the alias Kenny McCormack (also the name of a
cartoon character). The poster in question is a troll, and does not
contribute to the group.
Is he still around? A rather unsuccessful troll - he'd probably do
better on a different newsgroup.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ
Jul 7 '06 #2

P: n/a
Al Balmer posted:
On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 14:51:18 GMT, Frederick Gotham
<fg*******@SPAM.comwrote:
>>The poster in question goes by the alias Kenny McCormack (also the name
of a cartoon character). The poster in question is a troll, and does not
contribute to the group.

Is he still around? A rather unsuccessful troll - he'd probably do
better on a different newsgroup.

The only thing that annoyed me is that people would follow those links in the
mistaken belief that he was being helpful.

Thankfully my friend in Eircom said it wouldn't be much hassle to track a
Usenet post back to a customer account (if it was sent via one of their news
servers)... so looks like he won't be around for much longer.
--

Frederick Gotham
Jul 7 '06 #3

P: n/a
Frederick Gotham wrote:
A particular poster on this newsgroup portrays him/herself as being
helpful, and regularly posts the following three links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_programming_language

The poster in question goes by the alias Kenny McCormack (also the
name of a cartoon character). The poster in question is a troll, and
does not contribute to the group.

The first link leads to an encyclopaedic description of the term
"clique".

The second link leads to an encyclopaedic description of the medical
condition, "Asperger syndrome", which is considered a form of autism.
The troll implies that participants of this group may present with
the condition. This paints a picture of a very pathetic human being,
completely insensitive to other people's feelings.

The pathetic human being in question takes entertainment from posting
insensitive information, and makes no positive contribution to an
otherwise pleasant group.

Looking at the headers of his posts, it appears that he is posting
from Ireland (where I myself live). There is an e-mail address to
which you can send complaints:

ab***@xmission.com

A friend of mine works in Eircom (the primary national telephone and
internet provider), and I have asked him if he can see about getting
this person banned from their service.

In the meantime, I shall send complaints to ab***@xmission.com,
referring them to the many posts in which he presents those three
links.
Well, there's always the 'kill file' - and it's a lot less hassle.

--
==============
*Not a pedant*
==============
Jul 7 '06 #4

P: n/a
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique

A clique (pronounced kleek) is an informal and restricted social group
formed by a number of people who share common interests - formal social
groups are referred to as societies or organizations. Cliques are most
notably found amongst groups of teenagers, primarily in high schools and
colleges, but also in other similar environments, such as the workplace.

Cliques at times have complex structures, and characteristics tend to
differ between one another. However, one characteristic which is common
to nearly all cliques is the existence of a defined power structure,
generally comprised of a leader (or a few leaders), followers (refer to
the article on leadership) and pariahs.

Outcast

The outcast is a person who does not fit into any specific clique, and
as such, at times faces physical and psychological aggression from
clique members, in a fashion similar to bullying. It is not common for
witnesses to defend an outcast, as most fear being rejected and
potentially becoming an outcast themselves.

:-)

jacob
Jul 7 '06 #5

P: n/a
Frederick Gotham <fg*******@SPAM.comwrites:
A particular poster on this newsgroup portrays him/herself as being helpful,
and regularly posts the following three links:
[...]
The poster in question goes by the alias [...] (also the name of a
cartoon character). The poster in question is a troll, and does not
contribute to the group.
I neither know nor care what this troll's actual motivations are, but
his behavior implies that he's looking for attention, and doesn't care
whether it's positive or negative. I have no complaint about your
posting this warning to newcomers, but I urge everyone not to carry on
this thread any further. We've been doing a pretty good job lately of
ignoring this troll, either by killfiling him (which I highly
recommend) or simply by refusing to post followups. By all means feel
free to complain to his ISP if you're so inclined. He may attempt to
provoke us by becoming even more offensive and personal. Please don't
take the bait.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) ks***@mib.org <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
San Diego Supercomputer Center <* <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>
We must do something. This is something. Therefore, we must do this.
Jul 7 '06 #6

P: n/a
jacob navia wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique

A clique (pronounced kleek)
Not in my part of town. "Click".


Brian
Jul 7 '06 #7

P: n/a
Default User wrote:
jacob navia wrote:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique

A clique (pronounced kleek)

Not in my part of town. "Click".
[OT, naturally.]

This is one of those English words that will never please anyone. The
root of this word is Old French from "cliquer" (something like
[kleek'-ay]) or "to click". Both "clique" and "click" are from this
same root, so it is typically arbitrary how one pronounces it in
English, I guess. (Well, I would refrain from pronouncing it "luxury
yacht" unless you were quite silly.)

On the other hand, if one went around pronouncing "click" as "kleek"
people would probably think you quite odd.

But, you are right. However you grew up pronouncing this will make the
other typical pronunciation sound either snooty or tinny. I admit I
cringe a little when I hear "klick" for "clique".
Jul 7 '06 #8

P: n/a
Default User wrote:
jacob navia wrote:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique

A clique (pronounced kleek)

Not in my part of town. "Click".
And I suppose niche is nitch at your house instead of neesh?

--
Joe Wright
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
--- Albert Einstein ---
Jul 7 '06 #9

P: n/a
Joe Wright <jo********@comcast.netwrote:
And I suppose niche is nitch at your house instead of neesh?
dictionary.com suggests that (nitch) is actually the more common
pronunciation. I personally might, from time to time, say (nish), but
of course that seems to be incorrect.

--
Christopher Benson-Manica | I *should* know what I'm talking about - if I
ataru(at)cyberspace.org | don't, I need to know. Flames welcome.
Jul 7 '06 #10

P: n/a
Joe Wright wrote:
Default User wrote:
jacob navia wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique
>
A clique (pronounced kleek)
Not in my part of town. "Click".
And I suppose niche is nitch at your house instead of neesh?
Indeed. And "caught" is not "cot". I also say "kitty-corner" and
"cattywampus" (current thread on alt.usage.english).


Brian
Jul 7 '06 #11

P: n/a
On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 23:13:01 +0000 (UTC), in comp.lang.c , Christopher
Benson-Manica <at***@otaku.freeshell.orgwrote:
>Joe Wright <jo********@comcast.netwrote:
>And I suppose niche is nitch at your house instead of neesh?

dictionary.com suggests that (nitch) is actually the more common
pronunciation.
American, presumably. Its neesh in the UK.
--
Mark McIntyre

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are,
by definition, not smart enough to debug it."
--Brian Kernighan
Jul 8 '06 #12

P: n/a
Christopher Benson-Manica <at***@otaku.freeshell.orgwrote:
Joe Wright <jo********@comcast.netwrote:
And I suppose niche is nitch at your house instead of neesh?

dictionary.com suggests that (nitch) is actually the more common
pronunciation.
Not in the civilised world, it isn't.

Richard
Jul 10 '06 #13

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.