473,734 Members | 2,279 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

EVIL Matrox Graphics Inc , STEALS MGA Settings/VIRTUAL DESKTOP from Windows 98, 2000 etc

Perhaps, there is no bigger sleazy company in the entire Maple Republic
( Canada ) than Matrox Graphics Inc.

I paid $100+ through my nose circa 1999 for Matrox Millenium II and
Mystique.

It works well under NT4.0 however, a month ago I upgraded to Win 98.
Guess what?

The main feature in the Matrox Inc Video cards was their desktop, and
the essence
was in "MGA Settings" . Here you could make a virtual desktop four
times or more
than your monitor area. then using a touchpad with proper acceleration
you could
pan from one end to the other by a single stroke on your touch pad. It
was extremely
helpful and allowed you to do work on a small cheap monitor or LCD with
the comfort
of a large screen.

Guess what this evil master-mind did ? In the software for Win 98, Win
2K and perhaps other versions, it downgraded its desktop in a clearly
identifiable
and treacherous way. It added a whole bunch of non-sequitor bells and
whistles
and robbed its customers of the jewel. The virtual desktop.

What irritated me most about these crooked and evil canadians is that
they lecture
the whole world about environmentalis m and environment. What this
criminally evil
company has done is: It has created pollution worth $150 or so, more
exactly
the cost/selling price of the card for every card that will be thrown
away
and destroyed because they stole away the main module and compiled the
desktop
software without it.

I have put this analysis over the months. I ask every potential
customer of their
cards to ask this company if they are going to play this
evil-intentioned and
thinly disguised game with all their cards. I urge you to refuse of
bycott their
products ... till they rectify their negative sum business strategy.

Matrox must have sold atleast 200,000 such cards. We are talking about
20 million dollars worth of pollution and destruction.

A deceived Customer

The Essential question:
Cant this company recompile the old driver software which suppored
virtual desktop or the "MGA Settings" feature (which allowed you to
change the size of view area and displayed area independently) with the
libraries of later microsoft operating systems ?

Jul 22 '05 #1
14 2058
ro********@rock .com writes:
The main feature in the Matrox Inc Video cards was their desktop ...
Actually the main feature of their cards is the hardware. The desktop
is a useless gadget, and I never even bother to install it.
Guess what this evil master-mind did ? In the software for Win 98, Win
2K and perhaps other versions, it downgraded its desktop in a clearly
identifiable and treacherous way. It added a whole bunch of
non-sequitor bells and whistles and robbed its customers of the
jewel. The virtual desktop.
Everything except the driver itself is _already_ a "bell and whistle,"
so why complain?

The safe way to use video cards is to install nothing except the correct
driver. This is often true for most other types of hardware as well.
Using proprietary software provided by a hardware company is an
invitation to trouble, in part because it locks you into a specific
environment and configuration, and in part because the software provided
by hardware companies is often very poorly written. It's a wonder if
the drivers work, much less the rest.
It has created pollution worth $150 or so, more exactly
the cost/selling price of the card for every card that will be thrown
away and destroyed because they stole away the main module and compiled the
desktop software without it.
Most people don't care about the extra gadgets and just buy the cards
for the hardware.
Matrox must have sold atleast 200,000 such cards.


And perhaps 20 customers actually use their gadget software with the
cards.

--
Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.
Jul 22 '05 #2
Mxsmanic wrote:
ro********@rock .com writes:
The main feature in the Matrox Inc Video cards was their desktop ....

Actually the main feature of their cards is the hardware. The desktop is a useless gadget, and I never even bother to install it.
Guess what this evil master-mind did ? In the software for Win 98,
Win 2K and perhaps other versions, it downgraded its desktop in a clearly identifiable and treacherous way. It added a whole bunch of
non-sequitor bells and whistles and robbed its customers of the
jewel. The virtual desktop.


Everything except the driver itself is _already_ a "bell and

whistle," so why complain?

The safe way to use video cards is to install nothing except the correct driver. This is often true for most other types of hardware as well.
Using proprietary software provided by a hardware company is an
invitation to trouble, in part because it locks you into a specific
environment and configuration, and in part because the software provided by hardware companies is often very poorly written. It's a wonder if
the drivers work, much less the rest.
It has created pollution worth $150 or so, more exactly
the cost/selling price of the card for every card that will be thrown away and destroyed because they stole away the main module and compiled the desktop software without it.


Most people don't care about the extra gadgets and just buy the cards
for the hardware.
Matrox must have sold atleast 200,000 such cards.


And perhaps 20 customers actually use their gadget software with the
cards.

--
Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me

directly.
Anyway this totally Off-topic on comp.lang.c++

Jul 22 '05 #3
ro********@rock .com wrote:
Perhaps, there is no bigger sleazy company in the entire Maple Republic
( Canada ) than Matrox Graphics Inc.

I paid $100+ through my nose circa 1999 for Matrox Millenium II and
Mystique.

It works well under NT4.0 however, a month ago I upgraded to Win 98.
Guess what?

The main feature in the Matrox Inc Video cards was their desktop, and
the essence
was in "MGA Settings" . Here you could make a virtual desktop four
times or more
than your monitor area. then using a touchpad with proper acceleration
you could
pan from one end to the other by a single stroke on your touch pad. It
was extremely
helpful and allowed you to do work on a small cheap monitor or LCD with
the comfort
of a large screen.

Guess what this evil master-mind did ? In the software for Win 98, Win
2K and perhaps other versions, it downgraded its desktop in a clearly
identifiable
and treacherous way. It added a whole bunch of non-sequitor bells and
whistles
and robbed its customers of the jewel. The virtual desktop.

What irritated me most about these crooked and evil canadians is that
they lecture
the whole world about environmentalis m and environment. What this
criminally evil
company has done is: It has created pollution worth $150 or so, more
exactly
the cost/selling price of the card for every card that will be thrown
away
and destroyed because they stole away the main module and compiled the
desktop
software without it.

I have put this analysis over the months. I ask every potential
customer of their
cards to ask this company if they are going to play this
evil-intentioned and
thinly disguised game with all their cards. I urge you to refuse of
bycott their
products ... till they rectify their negative sum business strategy.

Matrox must have sold atleast 200,000 such cards. We are talking about
20 million dollars worth of pollution and destruction.

A deceived Customer

The Essential question:
Cant this company recompile the old driver software which suppored
virtual desktop or the "MGA Settings" feature (which allowed you to
change the size of view area and displayed area independently) with the
libraries of later microsoft operating systems ?


What are you on about? I've got virtual desktop working fine on Windows 98
and Windows 2000.

--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Jul 22 '05 #4
On 2 Jan 2005 21:08:15 -0800, ro********@rock .com mindlessly spewed:
["content" snipped and flushed]

you "upgraded" from NT4 to Windows98?

lmao! what a maroon!
Jul 22 '05 #5
J. Clarke wrote:
ro********@rock .com wrote:
Perhaps, there is no bigger sleazy company in the entire Maple Republic ( Canada ) than Matrox Graphics Inc.
What are you on about? I've got virtual desktop working fine on Windows 98 and Windows 2000.


Indeed, ignoramus is a bliss.

I just called the technical support at matrox graphics Inc.

Matrox Graphics Inc.
1055 St. Regis blvd.
Dorval, Quebec
Canada H9P 2T4
Tel: (514) 822-6000

The technical support person said:
"
We have had too many problems with virtual desktop ... that we decided
to take the virtual desktop out of the driver software.

It is neither in XP nor in 2000. You must use the older NT4.0 if you
want
to use that feature. "

After conferring with someone, she said, "

They are working on it.

If you want to get any information to help yourself (if you are a
programmer)
send an email to de****@matrox.c om

"

Hey, I say: either fire these incompetentos or get the software
running. Can
any driver programmer comment on it?

I mean I can pick up a cheap video card for $10-20 new and used for
$5-10.
These matrox cards are excellent IF AND ONLY IF the virtual desktop
works.
Otherwise, they are worthless. I paid Matrox graphics Inc money in
hundreds
of US dollars.

If they can't fix the software, then they should release the NT MGA
software
source (that compiles to their WORKING NT driver) so that we will port
it to XP/2K and fix it ourselves and show their management why they
should fire their crew and hire better ones from
comp.os.ms-windows.program mer.drivers .

I am ccing a copy of this post from this democratic forum to their
de****@matrox.c om, since their company forum is censored and
undemocratic ...

It is amazing how this sleazy company does not come out open on their
web
site with their incompetence that they took the crown jewel out and now
it
is all worthless scrap.

Millions of those swindled by matrox graphics inc of Canada paid for
the
functionality. And it is normal to expect a company support their cards
with
normal software upgrades since they are primarily windows ( and that
was the only OS for public - on intel platform - till linux came along
) so that is
implicit in contract.

Otherwise we will expose the false PR of this company. Their are
hundreds of
thousands of their frustrated customers who cannot upgrade from NT as
they are
now held hostage to Matrox graphics Inc of Canada ...

Jul 22 '05 #6
> I paid $100+ through my nose circa 1999 for Matrox Millenium II and
Mystique. It works well under NT4.0 however, a month ago I upgraded to Win 98.
Guess what?


Why don't you upgrade to GNU/Linux instead?
Millenium II is very well supported there.
Stefan
Jul 22 '05 #7
<ro********@roc k.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
11************* ********@c13g20 00...legro ups.com...

I don't know about the other groups, but could you remove c.l.c++ from the
follow-ups?

Thanks,
Jonathan
Jul 22 '05 #8
<ro********@roc k.com> wrote in message
news:11******** *************@c 13g2000cwb.goog legroups.com...
It works well under NT4.0 however, a month ago I upgraded to Win 98.


Ummmm...dood... that's no upgrade. If you want the nasty, evil, desktop
software to work again, you should "downgade" back to NT.

Kev
Jul 22 '05 #9
Lee Waun wrote:
you "upgraded" from NT4 to Windows98?
Also my girlfriend has one of those ancient matrox mellenium cards he

is going on about and she has that virtual desktop working too. He must be the problem.


LISTEN: Windows98 was a typo by executing incorrectly a replace-string
command. I am telling you to replace every instance of Windows98 by
Windows XP.

Read the post below again if that helps your mentally challenged brain.
You can call the matrox number below, and ask them. If you know a
solution
for virtual desktop under XP and 2K then post a link to the driver file
or the filename. That should settle it.

What I suspect is that these posts are like those authors who wrote
juicy and
marketable reviews of their own books on amazon. These days there is a
strategy
by corrupt companies. If you cant defend, then deflect. Most of the
replies
are in the same category. And it is trivially easy to manufacture posts

under multiple names by one person ...

------------------------------read
below---------------------------------------

Indeed, ignoramus is a bliss.

I just called the technical support at matrox graphics Inc.

Matrox Graphics Inc.
1055 St. Regis blvd.
Dorval, Quebec
Canada H9P 2T4
Tel: (514) 822-6000

The technical support person said:
"
We have had too many problems with virtual desktop ... that we decided
to take the virtual desktop out of the driver software.

It is neither in XP nor in 2000. You must use the older NT4.0 if you
want
to use that feature. "

After conferring with someone, she said, "

They are working on it.

If you want to get any information to help yourself (if you are a
programmer)
send an email to dev...@matrox.c om

"

Hey, I say: either fire these incompetentos or get the software
running. Can
any driver programmer comment on it?

I mean I can pick up a cheap video card for $10-20 new and used for
$5-10.
These matrox cards are excellent IF AND ONLY IF the virtual desktop
works.
Otherwise, they are worthless. I paid Matrox graphics Inc money in
hundreds
of US dollars.

If they can't fix the software, then they should release the NT MGA
software
source (that compiles to their WORKING NT driver) so that we will port
it to XP/2K and fix it ourselves and show their management why they
should fire their crew and hire better ones from
comp.os.ms-windows.program mer.drivers .

I am ccing a copy of this post from this democratic forum to their
dev...@matrox.c om, since their company forum is censored and
undemocratic ...

It is amazing how this sleazy company does not come out open on their
web
site with their incompetence that they took the crown jewel out and now
it
is all worthless scrap.

Millions of those swindled by matrox graphics inc of Canada paid for
the
functionality. And it is normal to expect a company support their cards
with
normal software upgrades since they are primarily windows ( and that
was the only OS for public - on intel platform - till linux came along
) so that is
implicit in contract.

Otherwise we will expose the false PR of this company. Their are
hundreds of
thousands of their frustrated customers who cannot upgrade from NT as
they are
now held hostage to Matrox graphics Inc of Canada ...

Jul 22 '05 #10

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

1
1562
by: Gervin | last post by:
That was the first question. BTW, I am using Windows 2000 Server. Second questions is how do I transfer session variables from one virtual website to another website. Currently I have session variables set in say www.first.com and then I click a link and goto www.second.com. How can I transfer session variables from www.first.com to www.second.com? Both sites are virtual websites and running on the same physical server running Windows...
5
5502
by: Markus Elfring | last post by:
Hello, A lot of clipart libraries offer free raster images. I am looking for a similar collection for vector graphics. Do you know a gallery or archive for the following formats? - Scalable Vector Graphics (*.svgz) - Computer Graphics Metafile (*.cgm) Sincereley,
1
1848
by: E.F. | last post by:
I have a Matrox RT.X100 graphic card connected to a digital camera. Now i need to develop a Vision Robotic System in C++ and i need to use some DLL to caprture frames from the graphic card. Active MIL is compatible with my hardware? There is some other solutions to interact with your Matrox Driver simply? Special Thanks
1
2590
by: John Smith | last post by:
Hi, I hope somebody can help here. I have an app. that uses both MS Access 2000 and SQL Server databases running under XP and 2003 server. The problem I have encountered during testing was that if I changed the Regional & Language settings to 'Mongolian (Cyrillic)', all Access queries fail, however the SQL server ones continue to work fine. I thought it was my
14
2586
by: vicky | last post by:
SUMMARY: THREE YEARS of and continuing MENTAL TORTURE, TERRORISM, SADISM and BLATANT human rights violations by FBI SADISTS and PERVERTS. Please SAVE this post on your hard disks or email account and also bookmark it because the FBI sadists are gonna force the websites to remove this posting for good. I posted this column to pretty much all "active newsgroups" three weeks ago but the FBI "ARM TWISTED" and "FORCED" google management to...
3
1157
by: Selden McCabe | last post by:
I have a new web server, somewhere on the Internet. I have remote desktop sharing set so I can fully access the machine via Netmeeting. The server has IIS and is already hosting a few web sites and FTP sites. I've created a folder on the local hard drive, and created a new virtual directory in IIS pointing to this folder. When I do a Copy Project (from within .Net on my development machine) to the server, I get a big error message about...
0
1505
by: Siegfried Heintze | last post by:
I have pointed my hosting service to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825738 because we are getting an "Unspecified" error when trying to fill my data adapter from an MSAccess 2003 database on their server. (My web page runs fine on my desktop development machine). However, their support engineer (Reagan) claims he cannot follow the directions because there is no directory "Document settings\ServerName\ASPNET\Local...
2
1679
by: John Brock | last post by:
At work we are using a virtual desktop manager called AltDesk (http://www.astonshell.com/), and it is causing a weird and extremely annoying problem with the VB.NET application I am developing. If I start my app, open a test form using ShowDialog() (this is a menu choice on the main app), and then switch to a different virtual desktop, the test form immediately closes (in what seems to be an abnormal way -- the Closing event is raised,...
20
2206
by: timmg | last post by:
You know, I've had so much fun reading the thread on lookup field's subservience to the Dark One that I thought I'd provoke another, ah, polite discussion on the topic of Macros. I've always been of the opinion that the only reason Access even has macros is that when MS bought the application back in '92 (prior to that "Access" was MS's telecom tool) Lotus was developing its DB product Approach. Approach had macros, which was supposed...
0
8948
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However, people are often confused as to whether an ONU can Work As a Router. In this blog post, we’ll explore What is ONU, What Is Router, ONU & Router’s main usage, and What is the difference between ONU and Router. Let’s take a closer look ! Part I. Meaning of...
0
8780
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can effortlessly switch the default language on Windows 10 without reinstalling. I'll walk you through it. First, let's disable language synchronization. With a Microsoft account, language settings sync across devices. To prevent any complications,...
0
9315
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven tapestry of website design and digital marketing. It's not merely about having a website; it's about crafting an immersive digital experience that captivates audiences and drives business growth. The Art of Business Website Design Your website is...
1
9246
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows Update option using the Control Panel or Settings app; it automatically checks for updates and installs any it finds, whether you like it or not. For most users, this new feature is actually very convenient. If you want to control the update process,...
1
6742
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new presenter, Adolph Dupré who will be discussing some powerful techniques for using class modules. He will explain when you may want to use classes instead of User Defined Types (UDT). For example, to manage the data in unbound forms. Adolph will...
0
6035
by: conductexam | last post by:
I have .net C# application in which I am extracting data from word file and save it in database particularly. To store word all data as it is I am converting the whole word file firstly in HTML and then checking html paragraph one by one. At the time of converting from word file to html my equations which are in the word document file was convert into image. Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.ActiveDocument.Select();...
0
4553
by: TSSRALBI | last post by:
Hello I'm a network technician in training and I need your help. I am currently learning how to create and manage the different types of VPNs and I have a question about LAN-to-LAN VPNs. The last exercise I practiced was to create a LAN-to-LAN VPN between two Pfsense firewalls, by using IPSEC protocols. I succeeded, with both firewalls in the same network. But I'm wondering if it's possible to do the same thing, with 2 Pfsense firewalls...
1
3264
by: 6302768590 | last post by:
Hai team i want code for transfer the data from one system to another through IP address by using C# our system has to for every 5mins then we have to update the data what the data is updated we have to send another system
2
2733
muto222
by: muto222 | last post by:
How can i add a mobile payment intergratation into php mysql website.

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.