473,597 Members | 2,826 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Saving aspx to file or other solution

We have a need, after a user fill out a form, to save that page (aspx)
and to send it as attachment by email , and to save it to a database for later
retrieval [the user will not be able to change nothing on page after submit]

any ideas how to save the aspx with user data to file ? maybe image ?
TIA
May 8 '07 #1
13 1591
On May 8, 8:22 am, ziros <z...@discussio ns.microsoft.co mwrote:
We have a need, after a user fill out a form, to save that page (aspx)
and to send it as attachment by email , and to save it to a database for later
retrieval [the user will not be able to change nothing on page after submit]

any ideas how to save the aspx with user data to file ? maybe image ?
TIA
Attachments...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ail+attachment

But are you sure that you need to have an attachment? A form can be
sent as a plain text message, in this case (depends on your need) it
can be saved as a text in the database, or in a "table" format (each
form field = a column in a table).

May 8 '07 #2
Ill try to explain better

As a user fill out a form (that might be just for defined period of time) we
have the
need to save the aspx page with the data as is, as a document that can't be
chaged.
It's like the a user statement fiiling a form.

than we want to save this page to a Database (as image or as html or pdf )
and to retrieve it later on just for viewing.

the page must saved as is with it's design.

TIA
"Alexey Smirnov" wrote:
On May 8, 8:22 am, ziros <z...@discussio ns.microsoft.co mwrote:
We have a need, after a user fill out a form, to save that page (aspx)
and to send it as attachment by email , and to save it to a database for later
retrieval [the user will not be able to change nothing on page after submit]

any ideas how to save the aspx with user data to file ? maybe image ?
TIA

Attachments...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ail+attachment

But are you sure that you need to have an attachment? A form can be
sent as a plain text message, in this case (depends on your need) it
can be saved as a text in the database, or in a "table" format (each
form field = a column in a table).

May 8 '07 #3
On May 8, 12:08 pm, ziros <z...@discussio ns.microsoft.co mwrote:
Ill try to explain better

As a user fill out a form (that might be just for defined period of time) we
have the
need to save the aspx page with the data as is, as a document that can't be
chaged.
It's like the a user statement fiiling a form.

than we want to save this page to a Database (as image or as html or pdf )
and to retrieve it later on just for viewing.

the page must saved as is with it's design.

TIA

"Alexey Smirnov" wrote:
On May 8, 8:22 am, ziros <z...@discussio ns.microsoft.co mwrote:
We have a need, after a user fill out a form, to save that page (aspx)
and to send it as attachment by email , and to save it to a database for later
retrieval [the user will not be able to change nothing on page after submit]
any ideas how to save the aspx with user data to file ? maybe image ?
TIA
Attachments...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ail+attachment
But are you sure that you need to have an attachment? A form can be
sent as a plain text message, in this case (depends on your need) it
can be saved as a text in the database, or in a "table" format (each
form field = a column in a table).- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -
The real form could contain a number of text boxes, buttons, lists and
other controls and I'm not sure if you really need to keep that
information as a user submission. Once the form is submitted you can
get all the fields and build a sort of confirmation page contained no
controls but all the details of user filing. It can be done using the
StringBuilder. The confirmation page will have two links "confirm" and
"cancel". When the "confirm" is clicked you will save the text into a
file or a database (I hope, the form does not have any graphics).
What's all.

May 8 '07 #4
Hi ziros,

ziros wrote:
Ill try to explain better

As a user fill out a form (that might be just for defined period of time) we
have the
need to save the aspx page with the data as is, as a document that can't be
chaged.
It's like the a user statement fiiling a form.

than we want to save this page to a Database (as image or as html or pdf )
and to retrieve it later on just for viewing.

the page must saved as is with it's design.
I don't think you can actually get a screenshot from the user's browser
(and that's what you need, right?)
What I could imagine is something like this: You take a screenshot of
the empty form (at development time), and after the user submits it, you
copy that screenshot and paste the text into pre-defined positions of
that copy. Then you display that image to the user with confirm or
cancel buttons. If the user confirms, you keep the image, otherwise you
delete it.

Does that sound reasonable? The user will actually confirm exactly what
you will have saved.

As an alternative (but this is a guess of mine), have a look at PDF forms.

Hope this helps,

Roland
May 8 '07 #5
Thx alexy & roland,

I suspected that I can't just screenshot the user for with data as is.
I do need to maintain the form graphics as muc has possible, and to this not
per
form I'll create but to be able to use that snapshot on many form , without
writing specifics all the time.

Roland :
about that "You take a screenshot of the empty form"
what do you exactly mean ? and what you meant about the image thing ?
would like some more if you can explain.

Alexy:
as a last option if i can't come up with something close to what i need , i
can think of your method of gathering the data.

TIA


"Roland Dick" wrote:
Hi ziros,

ziros wrote:
Ill try to explain better

As a user fill out a form (that might be just for defined period of time) we
have the
need to save the aspx page with the data as is, as a document that can't be
chaged.
It's like the a user statement fiiling a form.

than we want to save this page to a Database (as image or as html or pdf )
and to retrieve it later on just for viewing.

the page must saved as is with it's design.

I don't think you can actually get a screenshot from the user's browser
(and that's what you need, right?)
What I could imagine is something like this: You take a screenshot of
the empty form (at development time), and after the user submits it, you
copy that screenshot and paste the text into pre-defined positions of
that copy. Then you display that image to the user with confirm or
cancel buttons. If the user confirms, you keep the image, otherwise you
delete it.

Does that sound reasonable? The user will actually confirm exactly what
you will have saved.

As an alternative (but this is a guess of mine), have a look at PDF forms.

Hope this helps,

Roland
May 8 '07 #6
On May 8, 2:55 pm, ziros <z...@discussio ns.microsoft.co mwrote:
Thx alexy & roland,

I suspected that I can't just screenshot the user for with data as is.
I do need to maintain the form graphics as muc has possible, and to this not
per
form I'll create but to be able to use that snapshot on many form , without
writing specifics all the time.
Well, if you understand that there is no way, why do you still
thinking about it?

Alexy:
as a last option if i can't come up with something close to what i need , i
can think of your method of gathering the data.
Okay, let me know if you have further questions.

May 8 '07 #7
It sounds like you're trying to do something similar to what we're seeking a
solution for. In our case, we have people fill out an online form, which is
designed to look very much like our client's traditional printed forms.
Then when the user submits it, we need to send an HTML email to the
appropriate person. The effect is that the employee gets a form they can
print out that looks like forms customers filled out the old fashioned way.

The way we've done it in ASP is by writing a whole lotta "str = str & ..."
We've gotten it down to where it's pretty easy (but still ugly): Copy the
HTML produced by the ASP page; paste into the editor of your choice; prepend
each line with "str = str & "; tack a closing quote on the end; substitute
the <INPUT ...tags with the <%= variable they filled in;

But, as noted, it's ugly.

On a Java site where I worked, they use the 'mailer2' taglib, which makes it
pretty easy to generate HTML email on the fly. I'm looking for something
similar in asp.net. Kind of a control that lets you define the HTML in its
body, complete with variables, that sends an email.

If anybody knows of such a thing, or has other suggestions, please share!

Dave


"ziros" <zi***@discussi ons.microsoft.c omwrote in message
news:73******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
Ill try to explain better

As a user fill out a form (that might be just for defined period of time)
we
have the
need to save the aspx page with the data as is, as a document that can't
be
chaged.
It's like the a user statement fiiling a form.

than we want to save this page to a Database (as image or as html or pdf )
and to retrieve it later on just for viewing.

the page must saved as is with it's design.

TIA
"Alexey Smirnov" wrote:
On May 8, 8:22 am, ziros <z...@discussio ns.microsoft.co mwrote:
We have a need, after a user fill out a form, to save that page (aspx)
and to send it as attachment by email , and to save it to a database
for later
retrieval [the user will not be able to change nothing on page after
submit]
>
any ideas how to save the aspx with user data to file ? maybe image ?
TIA
Attachments...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ail+attachment

But are you sure that you need to have an attachment? A form can be
sent as a plain text message, in this case (depends on your need) it
can be saved as a text in the database, or in a "table" format (each
form field = a column in a table).

May 8 '07 #8
Hi ziros,

Sorry, I'll try to explain better.

ziros wrote:
Roland :
about that "You take a screenshot of the empty form"
what do you exactly mean ? and what you meant about the image thing ?
would like some more if you can explain.
What I mean is that you have a screenshot of the form as it is displayed
on your computer. That screenshot is in a graphics file. Now you can
measure the coordinates in the image where you want to place text (using
Paint or some other image editor). Then you know for example,
"Firstname" starts at 100,100 pixels.

When the user filled out the form, you do some image editing on the
server. In fact, you copy the screenshot and write the text the user
entered into the "Firstname" textbox in the image at 100,100. (The
DrawString method of the Graphics object might be handy here). Same for
other textboxes. What you end up with, is an image with all the text the
user entered in it.

Then you display that image to the user. He can't change anything any
more, it's take it or leave it; confirm or cancel. The image will most
likely look different from the form the user filled in (window size,
screen resolution, browser etc.); but if the user confirms, he confirms
the image exactly as you have stored it, and you can save the image in
the database (or wherever).

Hope this helps,

Roland
May 9 '07 #9
Thx alexy,Rolnad,Da ve

Well if I'll try the Image thing: couple of question...

what if the Form is longer and to view it all a scroll is needed, can I
still snapshot the form to image file ?

as I understand for each form I'll have to be specific with that method...

I'll start giving it a try.

Thx all


"Dave Bender" wrote:
It sounds like you're trying to do something similar to what we're seeking a
solution for. In our case, we have people fill out an online form, which is
designed to look very much like our client's traditional printed forms.
Then when the user submits it, we need to send an HTML email to the
appropriate person. The effect is that the employee gets a form they can
print out that looks like forms customers filled out the old fashioned way.

The way we've done it in ASP is by writing a whole lotta "str = str & ..."
We've gotten it down to where it's pretty easy (but still ugly): Copy the
HTML produced by the ASP page; paste into the editor of your choice; prepend
each line with "str = str & "; tack a closing quote on the end; substitute
the <INPUT ...tags with the <%= variable they filled in;

But, as noted, it's ugly.

On a Java site where I worked, they use the 'mailer2' taglib, which makes it
pretty easy to generate HTML email on the fly. I'm looking for something
similar in asp.net. Kind of a control that lets you define the HTML in its
body, complete with variables, that sends an email.

If anybody knows of such a thing, or has other suggestions, please share!

Dave


"ziros" <zi***@discussi ons.microsoft.c omwrote in message
news:73******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
Ill try to explain better

As a user fill out a form (that might be just for defined period of time)
we
have the
need to save the aspx page with the data as is, as a document that can't
be
chaged.
It's like the a user statement fiiling a form.

than we want to save this page to a Database (as image or as html or pdf )
and to retrieve it later on just for viewing.

the page must saved as is with it's design.

TIA
"Alexey Smirnov" wrote:
On May 8, 8:22 am, ziros <z...@discussio ns.microsoft.co mwrote:
We have a need, after a user fill out a form, to save that page (aspx)
and to send it as attachment by email , and to save it to a database
for later
retrieval [the user will not be able to change nothing on page after
submit]

any ideas how to save the aspx with user data to file ? maybe image ?
TIA
>
Attachments...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ail+attachment
>
But are you sure that you need to have an attachment? A form can be
sent as a plain text message, in this case (depends on your need) it
can be saved as a text in the database, or in a "table" format (each
form field = a column in a table).
>
>


May 9 '07 #10

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

1
2361
by: liam | last post by:
Hi, I have seen this problem is a couple of other places in the group but can't find an answer to it. Basically I have as aspx file that opens properly in Opera but not in IE. IE gives a scripting error stating Error Expected ';'. This is in VB.NET. If I change the script to C# I get Error Expected '}'. When I look at the source of what is actually returned to IE it is
1
1026
by: rinkal brahmbhatt | last post by:
what if i delete an aspx file from my project if i had compiled the project once....will that project run without any error.....or will i need the aspx file after compilation *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!
0
1359
by: Ersin Gençtürk | last post by:
hi, I am working with utf-8 encoded aspx files.But in visual studio.net 2003 when I make somechanges to a utf-8 aspx file and click save , it reverts the encoding to another (win-1254) format.I have to use "save with encoding" command in save dialog to succsessfully save it again in utf-8 format.I have tried choosing this dialog every time. I could not find an setting for default encoding for saving files.Is there any setting that I...
2
1428
by: M. D'Costa | last post by:
Hello, I have an ASP.NET application that allows a user to save a csv file with certain data they requested. The problem is as follows: On my machine it works fine and prompts me to save the .csv file when I click a webcontrol button. On other machines, it prompts me to save the aspx file, which is the aspx page that has focus. However, after this prompt, the csv file is correctly
0
956
by: ES | last post by:
Hello, I'm using VS 2003 for an ASP.NET project. I have a number of web forms, components, user controls, etc in the project. It compiles and runs correctly. One form when opened in the development environment seems to hang VS. When opened, it displays the form designer. It appears to be OK but immediately will display a "*" in the tab. If I attempt to save the file or switch to HTML view, the CPU utilization skyrockets, the...
7
1891
by: Steve Bugden | last post by:
Hi, I am trying to reference an html page from an aspx file. The intention is that the html file will contain the content for my web site and the aspx will contain the navigation, logo etc. Then I am hoping I can maintain the html files separately via Frontpage. I have tried a server include i.e. <!-- #Include File="c:\somedirectory\somefilename.htm" -->
7
1989
by: Matt | last post by:
In Solution, In Web project Test.aspx file, How can i refer to dll on page directives. WebDll project(same solution) I dont want to use codebehind pages such as (test.aspx.cs) WebProject Test.aspx bin WebProject.dll WebDll.dll Webdll Test.cs
3
1467
by: David | last post by:
hi... i have webform *.aspx file, wich do some bd requests and generates (how it should) html file to show on client pc.. now... i want my web solution, this web form is part of this solution, to somehow save this html-generated-by-aspx to a file on server computer, without showing aspx to client
2
2952
by: Bruce Russell | last post by:
This may sound stupid but I can't rename the WebForm1.aspx in the solution explorer. The file is located in my local web server at C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Lab3-VB-Starter\WebForm1.aspx Is there some configuration problem in my IIS setup? Thanks,
16
5841
by: flip2flik | last post by:
Hi. I am using visual web developer express edition and I am using vb.net as the programming language. I want to create a new aspx file on a button click. I will have a template that the new aspx file should follow. I need to pass the values entered on the current page to the new aspx file created. But more importantly I have problems with the creating of the new aspx file and saving it. I need all this to be done when i am running the...
0
7979
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However, people are often confused as to whether an ONU can Work As a Router. In this blog post, we’ll explore What is ONU, What Is Router, ONU & Router’s main usage, and What is the difference between ONU and Router. Let’s take a closer look ! Part I. Meaning of...
0
8281
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers, it seems that the internal comparison operator "<=>" tries to promote arguments from unsigned to signed. This is as boiled down as I can make it. Here is my compilation command: g++-12 -std=c++20 -Wnarrowing bit_field.cpp Here is the code in...
0
8381
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven tapestry of website design and digital marketing. It's not merely about having a website; it's about crafting an immersive digital experience that captivates audiences and drives business growth. The Art of Business Website Design Your website is...
0
6706
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing, and deployment—without human intervention. Imagine an AI that can take a project description, break it down, write the code, debug it, and then launch it, all on its own.... Now, this would greatly impact the work of software developers. The idea...
1
5847
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new presenter, Adolph Dupré who will be discussing some powerful techniques for using class modules. He will explain when you may want to use classes instead of User Defined Types (UDT). For example, to manage the data in unbound forms. Adolph will...
0
5437
by: conductexam | last post by:
I have .net C# application in which I am extracting data from word file and save it in database particularly. To store word all data as it is I am converting the whole word file firstly in HTML and then checking html paragraph one by one. At the time of converting from word file to html my equations which are in the word document file was convert into image. Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.ActiveDocument.Select();...
0
3893
by: TSSRALBI | last post by:
Hello I'm a network technician in training and I need your help. I am currently learning how to create and manage the different types of VPNs and I have a question about LAN-to-LAN VPNs. The last exercise I practiced was to create a LAN-to-LAN VPN between two Pfsense firewalls, by using IPSEC protocols. I succeeded, with both firewalls in the same network. But I'm wondering if it's possible to do the same thing, with 2 Pfsense firewalls...
0
3937
by: adsilva | last post by:
A Windows Forms form does not have the event Unload, like VB6. What one acts like?
0
1245
bsmnconsultancy
by: bsmnconsultancy | last post by:
In today's digital era, a well-designed website is crucial for businesses looking to succeed. Whether you're a small business owner or a large corporation in Toronto, having a strong online presence can significantly impact your brand's success. BSMN Consultancy, a leader in Website Development in Toronto offers valuable insights into creating effective websites that not only look great but also perform exceptionally well. In this comprehensive...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.