By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
445,876 Members | 1,191 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 445,876 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Printer Drivers and Crashing Objects

P: n/a
Tom
All:

I had a DB that was routinely crashing when one report was opened. It
happened in my final copy, archive copy and copies I received back
from the client. However, it did not happen to the client's copy when
run on his computer.

I tried compact and repair, decompile, SaveAsText, importing to a new
DB - no joy. Every time I opened the report (or tied to SaveAsText or
import), Access would crash. No other report caused this problem.

At the suggestion of a co-worker, I changed the default printer and
now things work just fine.

So my questions:
Is this a well known issue/solution that I missed in my research?
Why does it only affect one report, not all of them?
Could this also cause Access to crash when opening other objects
(e.g., forms, or is it report specific)?
What can I do to make sure it doesn't happen when shipping a final
copy off to a client - or is it just one of those things you get to
deal with after the fact?
Is there anything I should do (e.g., SaveAsText) now that the
problem has been "solved" so that it doesn't crop up again with this
DB.

Thanks

Tom

Mar 22 '07 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
2 Replies


P: n/a

I'm not sure about some of your questions, but one other thing I would
have tried was to in a fresh new DB, import all objects and tables
EXCEPT that report and either import it from a known working copy, or
re-create it. If in your routine you imported that report, it likely
just imported a corrupted report. Printer information is kept with
each report, so if changing the printer seems to fix it, I have to
think the report was corrupted in that portion of it.

As to preventing it, I'm not sure.

Mar 22 '07 #2

P: n/a
Tom
>I would
have tried was to in a fresh new DB, import all objects and tables
EXCEPT that report and either import it from a known working copy, or
re-create it.
That is where I was headed till I got the tip on changing the default
printer. My problem was that I had NO working copies locally -
everything appeared corrupt as long as I had the one printer selected
as default. I was going to have to recreate from scratch using a hard
copy the client printed and sent to me.

Tom

Mar 22 '07 #3

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.