473,725 Members | 2,246 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Help - "this recordset is not updatable"

I've been reading the newsgroups and most of the solutions for this
message are simple and obvious but unfortunately don't solve my
problem.

I have an MS-Access 2002 ADP application that connects to SQL server.
The application is deployed to 100+ users and in most cases works fine.

I have a sub-set of users (~20) who have an auditing function. They
review transactions entered by the other 100+ and accept or reject
them. There are a few fields that these auditors are allowed to
change. However, there are a number of users in this sub-set who are
unable to edit these fields. If they attempt to change that status bar
displays "this recordset is not updatable".

It seems to be MS-Access/workstation related. If I have the user (who
has problems) log into the PC of a user who doesn' t have this problem
using their own logon credentials it works perfectly. If I reverse
that - have a user who has no problems editing this data log on to a
workstation where the user is having problems - they find that they
cannot edit the data either. So in my mind it doesn't have anything to
do with user rights, the recordset or my code since it's the same
recordset, same database, same code no matter who runs it.

I've been comparing Access versions, service packs, DLL versions....
and I'm not finding anything obvious. Does this ring any bells with
anyone?

Thanks

Jun 15 '06 #1
6 4613
ZRexRider wrote:
I've been reading the newsgroups and most of the solutions for this
message are simple and obvious but unfortunately don't solve my
problem.

I have an MS-Access 2002 ADP application that connects to SQL server.
The application is deployed to 100+ users and in most cases works fine.

I have a sub-set of users (~20) who have an auditing function. They
review transactions entered by the other 100+ and accept or reject
them. There are a few fields that these auditors are allowed to
change. However, there are a number of users in this sub-set who are
unable to edit these fields. If they attempt to change that status bar
displays "this recordset is not updatable".

It seems to be MS-Access/workstation related. If I have the user (who
has problems) log into the PC of a user who doesn' t have this problem
using their own logon credentials it works perfectly. If I reverse
that - have a user who has no problems editing this data log on to a
workstation where the user is having problems - they find that they
cannot edit the data either. So in my mind it doesn't have anything to
do with user rights, the recordset or my code since it's the same
recordset, same database, same code no matter who runs it.

I've been comparing Access versions, service packs, DLL versions....
and I'm not finding anything obvious. Does this ring any bells with
anyone?

Thanks

Have you gone to
http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en
and entered
recordset not updateable
in the All words box and entered
*Access*
in the Groups box yet?
Jun 15 '06 #2

salad wrote:
ZRexRider wrote:
I've been reading the newsgroups and most of the solutions for this
message are simple and obvious but unfortunately don't solve my
problem.

I have an MS-Access 2002 ADP application that connects to SQL server.
The application is deployed to 100+ users and in most cases works fine.

I have a sub-set of users (~20) who have an auditing function. They
review transactions entered by the other 100+ and accept or reject
them. There are a few fields that these auditors are allowed to
change. However, there are a number of users in this sub-set who are
unable to edit these fields. If they attempt to change that status bar
displays "this recordset is not updatable".

It seems to be MS-Access/workstation related. If I have the user (who
has problems) log into the PC of a user who doesn' t have this problem
using their own logon credentials it works perfectly. If I reverse
that - have a user who has no problems editing this data log on to a
workstation where the user is having problems - they find that they
cannot edit the data either. So in my mind it doesn't have anything to
do with user rights, the recordset or my code since it's the same
recordset, same database, same code no matter who runs it.

I've been comparing Access versions, service packs, DLL versions....
and I'm not finding anything obvious. Does this ring any bells with
anyone?

Thanks

Have you gone to
http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en
and entered
recordset not updateable
in the All words box and entered
*Access*
in the Groups box yet?


It does sound workstation related but still a security issue. What are
the sql privs the workstations have. Are the workstations identical.
It sounds like its the workstation privs not the user privs.
However....

Do you have both sql and access security involved? If so, it could be
the access sequrity file that is stoping it on the workstation not the
sql security at all. This sequrity in access is held in the
system.mdw. Try creating a new system.mdw via workgroup administrator
under tools security. This will disconnect the existing security and
create a new empty access security on the workstation.

good luck

Jun 15 '06 #3
It does sound workstation related but still a security issue. What are
the sql privs the workstations have. Are the workstations identical.
It sounds like its the workstation privs not the user privs.
However....

Do you have both sql and access security involved? If so, it could be
the access sequrity file that is stoping it on the workstation not the
sql security at all. This sequrity in access is held in the
system.mdw. Try creating a new system.mdw via workgroup administrator
under tools security. This will disconnect the existing security and
create a new empty access security on the workstation.


Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Access workgroup security
applies when the application is an ADP. And I'm not sure how one
defines security at the workstation level for SQL server. I'm not
saying you're wrong, I just am not aware of SQL being aware of specific
workstations, only roles and users.

I would first make sure that each user is utilizing an identical copy
of the ADP or ADE by copying a version from a machine that does work to
one that doesn't, and make sure that both users' accounts on each
workstation reference the same copy.

Bruce

Jun 15 '06 #4

de************* **@gmail.com wrote:
It does sound workstation related but still a security issue. What are
the sql privs the workstations have. Are the workstations identical.
It sounds like its the workstation privs not the user privs.
However....

Do you have both sql and access security involved? If so, it could be
the access sequrity file that is stoping it on the workstation not the
sql security at all. This sequrity in access is held in the
system.mdw. Try creating a new system.mdw via workgroup administrator
under tools security. This will disconnect the existing security and
create a new empty access security on the workstation.


Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Access workgroup security
applies when the application is an ADP. And I'm not sure how one
defines security at the workstation level for SQL server. I'm not
saying you're wrong, I just am not aware of SQL being aware of specific
workstations, only roles and users.

I would first make sure that each user is utilizing an identical copy
of the ADP or ADE by copying a version from a machine that does work to
one that doesn't, and make sure that both users' accounts on each
workstation reference the same copy.

Bruce


You're correct - MS-Access workgroup security is not available in ADP
files so I don't think that's an issue. I've not heard of workstation
security but so I'm "guessing" that's not it either.

Here's what I did find though:

The following workstations do not prohibit changing data and have the
following versions of ADO:

Workstation A: 2.81.1117.0
Workstation B: 2.71.9030.0
Workstation C: 2.71.9030.0

The following workstations do not allow the user to change data with
the exact same application, having the exact same user as the
successful user on A,B and C:

Workstation D: 2.53.6200.0
Workstation E: 2.53.6200.0

Now this is kind of an odd error to blame on a version of ADO but
sometimes when you line up the right variables and toss in an odd
version DLL you get spastic results. I'll post the results of my test
after upgrading D or E with the latest MDAC. I have to go through the
red tape of getting corporate support team to do it though - won't let
me do it.

Thanks for the feedback everybody

Jun 16 '06 #5

ZRexRider wrote:
You're correct - MS-Access workgroup security is not available in ADP
files so I don't think that's an issue. I've not heard of workstation
security but so I'm "guessing" that's not it either.

Here's what I did find though:

The following workstations do not prohibit changing data and have the
following versions of ADO:

Workstation A: 2.81.1117.0
Workstation B: 2.71.9030.0
Workstation C: 2.71.9030.0

The following workstations do not allow the user to change data with
the exact same application, having the exact same user as the
successful user on A,B and C:

Workstation D: 2.53.6200.0
Workstation E: 2.53.6200.0

Now this is kind of an odd error to blame on a version of ADO but
sometimes when you line up the right variables and toss in an odd
version DLL you get spastic results. I'll post the results of my test
after upgrading D or E with the latest MDAC. I have to go through the
red tape of getting corporate support team to do it though - won't let
me do it.

Thanks for the feedback everybody


I don't think this is at all unlikely. It wouldn't surprise me at all
if making sure everyone had the latest ADO fixed things. Let us know
what you find out.

Bruce

Jun 18 '06 #6
Done! Yes the solution to this problem was to upgrade all workstations
having < ADO 2.71.9030.0 . The support team upgraded all to 2.8xxx and
presto - all users are able to change this listbox data without error
messages and without code changes.

Hopefully this thread will help the next guy.

de************* **@gmail.com wrote:
ZRexRider wrote:
You're correct - MS-Access workgroup security is not available in ADP
files so I don't think that's an issue. I've not heard of workstation
security but so I'm "guessing" that's not it either.

Here's what I did find though:

The following workstations do not prohibit changing data and have the
following versions of ADO:

Workstation A: 2.81.1117.0
Workstation B: 2.71.9030.0
Workstation C: 2.71.9030.0

The following workstations do not allow the user to change data with
the exact same application, having the exact same user as the
successful user on A,B and C:

Workstation D: 2.53.6200.0
Workstation E: 2.53.6200.0

Now this is kind of an odd error to blame on a version of ADO but
sometimes when you line up the right variables and toss in an odd
version DLL you get spastic results. I'll post the results of my test
after upgrading D or E with the latest MDAC. I have to go through the
red tape of getting corporate support team to do it though - won't let
me do it.

Thanks for the feedback everybody


I don't think this is at all unlikely. It wouldn't surprise me at all
if making sure everyone had the latest ADO fixed things. Let us know
what you find out.

Bruce


Jun 23 '06 #7

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

1
2683
by: PeteCresswell | last post by:
I'm working on a new report in an MS Access DB. The first anomaly was a message "This action will reset the current code in break mode." when the report was run. Seems TB something about my Detail1_Print(): if I answer "No" to the dialog the report just runs. If I answer "Yes", it pops a new dialog seemingly at every line. Code is below. The real zinger, however, started on Friday. When I run the report in question somehow MS...
7
13074
by: Martin Lacoste | last post by:
I have a very basic query that Access 2000 will not allow to be updatable. I've gone through all the situations in the help file where data cannot be updated, and I don't see that this query belongs to any of those. I have checked all permissions, locks, etc.. - can't find anything out of the ordinary that would explain it. Deleted the DistinctRow - no change. The SQL version is below - anyone notice the problem or have any...
0
4351
by: Colleyville Alan | last post by:
My app is giving me this error. Run-time error 3211: The database engine could not lock table 'Sorted_Template' because it is already in use by another person or process. When I run the app the first time through, it runs fine. I get this when I run a make-table query that tries to write out the table called "Sorted_Template". I tried using a TableDefs.Delete command thinking that make using the docmd.openquery was causing the...
2
2386
by: Jeff Gardner | last post by:
Greetings: I've a script written for paging through a given recordset with page links, etc. I want to be able to limit the number of page numbers displayed as a large query may result in 100 or more pages and having 100 or more page links is ugly, to say the least. Below is the code that I am using for the paging. I'd like something like pages 1 - 5, click 5 or next, then pages 6-10 are displayed, etc. I am not sure where to start as...
2
6860
NewYorker
by: NewYorker | last post by:
Write a switch statement that tests the value of the char variable response and performs the following actions: if response is y , the message Your request is being processed is printed if response is n , the message Thank you anyway for your consideration is printed if response is h , the message Sorry, no help is currently available is printed for any other value of response , the message Invalid entry; please try again is...
10
4797
by: craig.keightley | last post by:
I am trying to get the next row within a loop for a script i am developing... I need to display a final table row within the table that i have displayed on the page, but i only want to show it if value of the current field is not the same value of the next row. eg:
17
11713
by: radio1 | last post by:
Configuration: Access 2002 and SQL Server 2000 using a .ADP Project. I would VERY MUCH appreciate anyone's input into this problem I'm having. I have a form in Access that does not permit the user to add/change/delete any data, apparently as a result of adding a GROUP BY clause to a View used indirectly as the form's Record Source. I really don't believe that this restriction needs to be there, and I'm hoping that someone can suggest...
2
10433
by: Eric Layman | last post by:
Hi, I have the following script below. I intend to have a dynamic array of non fixed size set rsseats = conn.execute("select * from seats") Dim arr(1) response.write ubound(arr) do while not rsseats.eof
1
2293
by: Ray | last post by:
Hello, Please help a VB newbie :) I'm a bit confused, reading all the MyClass, Me, My keywords of VB. I think I get MyClass and My, but Me... Can you just tell me if I get this correctly? "Me" in VB (6, 7, 2005) is exactly like "this" in C# or C++. Its meaning hasn't changed since VB 6. True or False? Many thanks,
0
9398
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers, it seems that the internal comparison operator "<=>" tries to promote arguments from unsigned to signed. This is as boiled down as I can make it. Here is my compilation command: g++-12 -std=c++20 -Wnarrowing bit_field.cpp Here is the code in...
0
9098
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each protocol has its own unique characteristics and advantages, but as a user who is planning to build a smart home system, I am a bit confused by the choice of these technologies. I'm particularly interested in Zigbee because I've heard it does some...
0
8080
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing, and deployment—without human intervention. Imagine an AI that can take a project description, break it down, write the code, debug it, and then launch it, all on its own.... Now, this would greatly impact the work of software developers. The idea...
1
6699
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new presenter, Adolph Dupré who will be discussing some powerful techniques for using class modules. He will explain when you may want to use classes instead of User Defined Types (UDT). For example, to manage the data in unbound forms. Adolph will...
0
6007
by: conductexam | last post by:
I have .net C# application in which I am extracting data from word file and save it in database particularly. To store word all data as it is I am converting the whole word file firstly in HTML and then checking html paragraph one by one. At the time of converting from word file to html my equations which are in the word document file was convert into image. Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.ActiveDocument.Select();...
0
4507
by: TSSRALBI | last post by:
Hello I'm a network technician in training and I need your help. I am currently learning how to create and manage the different types of VPNs and I have a question about LAN-to-LAN VPNs. The last exercise I practiced was to create a LAN-to-LAN VPN between two Pfsense firewalls, by using IPSEC protocols. I succeeded, with both firewalls in the same network. But I'm wondering if it's possible to do the same thing, with 2 Pfsense firewalls...
1
3216
by: 6302768590 | last post by:
Hai team i want code for transfer the data from one system to another through IP address by using C# our system has to for every 5mins then we have to update the data what the data is updated we have to send another system
2
2627
muto222
by: muto222 | last post by:
How can i add a mobile payment intergratation into php mysql website.
3
2153
bsmnconsultancy
by: bsmnconsultancy | last post by:
In today's digital era, a well-designed website is crucial for businesses looking to succeed. Whether you're a small business owner or a large corporation in Toronto, having a strong online presence can significantly impact your brand's success. BSMN Consultancy, a leader in Website Development in Toronto offers valuable insights into creating effective websites that not only look great but also perform exceptionally well. In this comprehensive...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.