473,544 Members | 1,791 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Latest Bytes Forum

Support forums for various IT topics. Programming languages, databases, systems, applications and more. Subscribe to a community, participate, ask, share your expertise and network.

thread by: Gianni Mariani | last post Jun 12 '07 by: Richard Herring
Attached example CPP files makes it easier to post code and extract code from posts. It's unimaginable at this time where virtually any news reader is capable of dealing with attachments to stick with such old antiquated rules. It's time for a change. I reccomend that the faq-5.4 bullet be changed: ...
thread by: Torbjørn Pettersen | last post Jul 20 '05 by: JotM
I've started cleaning up my HTML and implementing CSS. So far I've used FrontPage, but am switching over to DreamWeaver. Reading a bit on W3Schools.com and W3.org I see there are a lot of HTML code I never even knew existed. Among these are <em> and <strong>. What's the difference between these two and <i> and <b>? -- Torbjørn Pettersen...
AccessIdiot
thread by: AccessIdiot | last post Apr 13 '07 by: NeoPa
Like your mother-in-law that visits too often, I am back. :-) I have two tables, two forms. The primary key of table 1 is a foreign key in table two. I have a button on form one that opens form two and it should take the ID autonumber field from the first form and populate the ID field on the second form (and get stored in the table too). ...
thread by: bz800k | last post Mar 15 '07 by: Chris Hills
Hi Does this code satisfy ANSI C syntax ? void function(void) { int a = 2; a = ({int c; c = a + 2;}); /* <<-- here !! */ printf("a=%d\n", a);
thread by: sanjay.vasudevan | last post Jun 27 '08 by: Mike
Why are the following declarations invalid in C? int f(); int f(); It would be great if anyone could also explain the design decision for such a language restricton. Regards, Sanjay
MMcCarthy
thread by: MMcCarthy | last post Jan 26 '09 by: NeoPa
Hi Everyone, We are planning to have an informal get together on Googlechat on Wednesday 13th August. This will be a matter of setting up a group chat that everyone can join in on. The object of the chat is to connect with everyone, it's been a while since we did this. We have not set a time yet as we would appreciate some feedback...
thread by: ramyach | last post Dec 13 '05 by: Kenny McCormack
Hi friends, I need to write a parallel code in 'C' on the server that is running SGI Irix 6.5. This server supports MIPS Pro C compiler. I don't have any idea of parallel C languages. I looked into few posts in this group. I could make out that there are several languages for parallel programming and parallel C is one of them. I need to know...
yoda
thread by: yoda | last post Jan 17 '08 by: dora
i've got a question is it pausible to put a date base like (access) in a project in vb.6.0 and how would i do it if pasueible. don't mind the spelling Yoda
thread by: Dann Corbit | last post Jun 27 '08 by: red floyd
Rather than create a new way of doing things: http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2008/n2497.html why not just pick up ACE into the existing standard: http://www.cse.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html the same way that the STL (and subsequently BOOST) have been subsumed? Since it already runs on zillions of platforms, they have...
thread by: jacob navia | last post Aug 1 '08 by: Richard Bos
Buffer overflows are a fact of life, and, more specifically, a fact of C. All is not lost however. In the book "Value Range Analysis of C programs" Axel Simon tries to establish a theoretical framework for analyzing C programs. In contrast to other books where the actual technical difficulties are "abstracted away", this books tries to...
thread by: DJRhino | last post Apr 7 '15 by: DJRhino
I need help, I have never tried anything like this before. I have set up some tables, queries and forms. What I need help with is picking peoples names at a certain quanity for each category/shift per week. From LVL 1 I need 1 person per shift per day per week(5 from 1st, 2nd and 3rd. From lvl 2 I need 2 per week From LVL 3 need 1 per...
thread by: Raymond Hettinger | last post Jul 18 '05 by: Steven Bethard
I would like to get everyone's thoughts on two new dictionary methods: def count(self, value, qty=1): try: self += qty except KeyError: self = qty def appendlist(self, key, *values): try:
thread by: Rhino | last post Jul 19 '05 by: Lady Chatterly
One of my friends, Scott, is a consultant who doesn't currently have newsgroup access so I am asking these questions for him. I'll be telling him how to monitor the answers via Google Newsgroup searches. Scott has heard a lot of hype about DB2 and Oracle and is trying to understand the pros and cons of each product. I'm quite familiar with...
thread by: Sarah Tanembaum | last post Jul 20 '05 by: Howard J. Rogers
Beside its an opensource and supported by community, what's the fundamental differences between PostgreSQL and those high-price commercial database (and some are bloated such as Oracle) from software giant such as Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, and Sybase? Is PostgreSQL reliable enough to be used for high-end commercial application? Thanks
thread by: jacob navia | last post Aug 7 '07 by: Kelsey Bjarnason
We hear very often in this discussion group that bounds checking, or safety tests are too expensive to be used in C. Several researchers of UCSD have published an interesting paper about this problem. http://www.jilp.org/vol9/v9paper10.pdf Specifically, they measured the overhead of a bounds
thread by: 43 | last post Jul 19 '05 by: The Ghost In The Machine
how come m$Office isn't written in .net? how come Open Office isn't written in j2ee? how come dbms systems aren't written in either? how come browsers aren't written in either? how come RealPlayer, MediaPlayer and all applications that need speed are written in c++ ? (except for
thread by: 43 | last post Nov 22 '05 by: The Ghost In The Machine
how come m$Office isn't written in .net? how come Open Office isn't written in j2ee? how come dbms systems aren't written in either? how come browsers aren't written in either? how come RealPlayer, MediaPlayer and all applications that need speed are written in c++ ? (except for
thread by: C# Learner | last post Nov 16 '05 by: Dave
I've had enough of C#. I've had enough of using parentheses for every 'if' statement. I've had enough of having to mix assignment of return value of methods with flow control, making writing code that's both readable and consistent, impossible. C# is hindered by its predecessors and the Microsoft marketing department. If Anders had his...
thread by: Lane Straatman | last post Feb 12 '07 by: Dik T. Winter
#include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdbool.h> #include <complex.h> /* double complex z1, z2, z3; bool flag; z1 = .4 + .7I; z2 = cpow(z1, 2.0); z3 = z1 * z1;
thread by: plenty900 | last post Jun 27 '08 by: James Kanze
I was looking over someone's C++ code today and despite having written perfectly readable C++ code myself, the stuff I was looking at was worse than legalese. The people who are guiding the development of C++ have really made a mess of things, I mean templates and competing libraries and all that just render the code impossible to...
thread by: Einar | last post Nov 15 '05 by: Chris Torek
Hi, I wonder if there is a nice bit twiddling hack to compare a large number of variables? If you first store them in an array, you can do: for (i = 0; i < n; i++) { if (array != value) { /* array differs from value, do something*/
thread by: seberino | last post Dec 27 '05 by: Pierre Quentel
I'm interested in knowing which Python web framework is most like Ruby on Rails. I've heard of Subway and Django. Are there other Rails clones in Python land I don't know about? Which one has largest community/buzz about it?
thread by: Edward Diener No Spam | last post Nov 13 '06 by: Magnus Lycka
The definition of a component model I use below is a class which allows properties, methods, and events in a structured way which can be recognized, usually through some form of introspection outside of that class. This structured way allows visual tools to host components, and allows programmers to build applications and libraries visually in...
thread by: ivan | last post Dec 19 '06 by: Kenneth Brody
hi all, if I have: if(A && B || C) which operation gets executed first? If I remeber well should be &&, am I correct? thanks
thread by: C.L. | last post Apr 16 '07 by: Donn Cave
I was looking for a function or method that would return the index to the first matching element in a list. Coming from a C++ STL background, I thought it might be called "find". My first stop was the Sequence Types page of the Library Reference (http://docs.python.org/lib/typesseq.html); it wasn't there. A search of the Library Reference's...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.