473,508 Members | 2,216 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

How do you Start Service "Help & Support?"

4 New Member
I cannot open help and support...how do I install it on an existing system?

When I click on Help & Support, the error says "Windows cannot open Help and Support because a system service is not running. To fix this problem start the service named "help and support."

I have tried cmd prompt and 'msconfig'
I have double checked by going to control panel/administrative tools/services

Help and Support is not listed in either place so I cannot "start the service" from there.

How can i get this service started when it doesn't appear to be installed on my system?

Thanks for any input.
-Michael
May 24 '07 #1
14 58964
bartonc
6,596 Recognized Expert Expert

When I click on Help & Support, the error says "Windows cannot open Help and Support because a system service is not running. To fix this problem start the service named "help and support."

Help and Support is not listed in either place so I cannot "start the service" from there.

How can i get this service started when it doesn't appear to be installed on my system?

Thanks for any input.
-Michael
Right-click My Computer. Pull down to Manage. Expand [+] the Services and Applications branch. Click on Services. Scroll down to Help and Support. Double click that. In the Startup type pulldown, set it to Automatic. While you are in there you can "Start" the service so that you won't have to reboot.
May 24 '07 #2
W2K3R2admin
4 New Member
Thank you, but that won't work. Help and support is not listed as a part of that list. This is what has me so confused. How can I add Help & Support to that List?

Incidently, that is the same screen as when you go to control panel/admin tools/services.
May 24 '07 #3
bartonc
Thank you, but that won't work. Help and support is not listed as a part of that list. This is what has me so confused. How can I add Help & Support to that List?

Incidently, that is the same screen as when you go to control panel/admin tools/services.
I was able to dig this up for you. Haven't tried it. Hope it works for you.
Re-installing the Windows Help and Support module is relatively straightforward. However, you do need a retail copy of the Windows XP CD. If your PC was supplied with recovery disks then you will not be able to use this option. Also, since the introduction of Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), as soon as you click on Install XP will ask for the SP2 CD to locate the file 'dataspec.xml'. This file cannot actually be found on the stand alone SP2 CD so you cannot proceed any further. A way round the problem is to slipstream (See Question 83 How Do I Create A Slipstream CD Of Windows XP And Service Pack 2 (SP2)). You effectively create a 'new' Windows XP CD that incorporates service pack 2. If you then insert this CD into your CD-Rom Windows should locate the 'dataspec.xml' file it requires and Help And Support should install as normal.

1/ Log on to your computer as Administrator

2/ Click Start button

3/ In the Start menu click Run

4/ In the Run dialogue box type %systemroot%\inf and click OK

5/ In the list of files that appear look for the PCHEALTH.inf file

6/ Right Click on this file and, from the drop down menu, select Install

7/ The Windows Help and Support Feature should now reinstall
May 24 '07 #4
bartonc
I was able to dig this up for you. Haven't tried it. Hope it works for you.
I've also seen a method for getting Help and Supprt from another computer on your network, if you have one.
May 24 '07 #5
W2K3R2admin
4 New Member
Yes, I have a network, but only one domain controller with server 2003 R2.

I do have windows XP workstations that I can pull from if a different operating system doesn't matter.
May 24 '07 #6
bartonc
Yes, I have a network, but only one domain controller with server 2003 R2.

I do have windows XP workstations that I can pull from if a different operating system doesn't matter.
I hope that (even if this link doesn't solve the problem for you), that are enough notes in "HOW TO: Share, Install, and Use Additional Help Files for Windows Server 2003" to get you through.
May 25 '07 #7
zaxbowow
1 New Member
This posting seems much more direct to the point, and doesn't require installation disks! Apparently, its an SP2 install bug that destroys "Help and support" on some 2003 servers. The fix is simple and straightforward, and requires no disks.
May 29 '07 #8
bartonc
This posting seems much more direct to the point, and doesn't require installation disks! Apparently, its an SP2 install bug that destroys "Help and support" on some 2003 servers. The fix is simple and straightforward, and requires no disks.
Thank you, zaxbowow, so much for your input on this discussion and for joining us here on TheScripts.com.
May 29 '07 #9
W2K3R2admin
4 New Member
Right on men...no installation disks required. These commands solved the problem and re-installed.

Thanks for all your help!!

************************************************** ******************************************

At the command prompt, locate the following folder by using the CD command:

%windir%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries

At the "new" command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:

HelpSvc.exe /regserver /svchost netsvcs /RAInstall

HSCUpd.exe -i hscmui.cab

HSCUpd.exe -i hscsp_e3.cab
(make sure this file is there and it is titled hscsp_e3.cab - it might have a different letter than "e"... replace that if it does)
May 30 '07 #10
cheliz
1 New Member
Hi Michael,

To solve this porblem go through the following steps.

To work around this issue, you must reinstall the "Help and Support" service. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Close all applications that use HelpCtr Service.

2. At a command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:
•%windir%\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\HelpSvc.exe /regserver /svchost netsvcs /RAInstall
• %windir%\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\HSCUpd.exe -i %windir%\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\hscmui.cab
• "%windir%\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\HSCUpd.exe -i %windir%\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\hscsp_l3.cab

Link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937231

Regards,
cheliz.

Thanks for any input.
-Michael
Sep 20 '07 #11
mobelle27
1 New Member
Right-click My Computer. Pull down to Manage. Expand [+] the Services and Applications branch. Click on Services. Scroll down to Help and Support. Double click that. In the Startup type pulldown, set it to Automatic. While you are in there you can "Start" the service so that you won't have to reboot.
Thank you so very much. I have looked everywhere for a solution and yours was the most straight forward and helpful. My help and support now works. Thanks again.
Mobelle27
Jan 2 '08 #12
prabhatkk
1 New Member
I did not have Help and Support installed in my Windows 2003 64 bit m/c and this piece of info helped me:-
Reinstall Help and Support
Click Start, click Run and type CMD, and click OK.
In Command Prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each line: (Alternately, create a Batch file and run.)

cd /d %windir%\pchealth\helpctr
rd packagestore /s /q
rd installedskus /s /q
cd binaries
start /w helpsvc /svchost netsvcs /regserver /install
start /w helpsvc /register

Here is the link to that info: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rebuildhelp.htm
Aug 25 '08 #13
fred simmons
3 New Member
how to start "help&support"
Nov 1 '08 #14
rvbvanassoc
2 New Member

Thank you very much that worked for me..
Nov 11 '08 #15

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.