473,702 Members | 2,335 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

whats the difference between visual basic to visualbasic.net

84 New Member
Hi there;;

Im wondering whats the difference between vb to visual basic. net??? Does the program was different to visual basic than vb.net
???
Oct 26 '06 #1
2 5284
willakawill
1,646 Top Contributor
Hi there;;

Im wondering whats the difference between vb to visual basic. net??? Does the program was different to visual basic than vb.net
???
.NET is a whole different way to work. It is not easy to move to .NET from VB6. There is a lot to learn that is different and difficult. The fact that VB6 is still so popular after 8 years shows that it has stood the test of time. If you are considering .NET to be the way of the future (and Microsoft would certainly support that point of view) then ignore VB. Don't even think about learning to program with VB. Go straight to .NET

Just my 2 cents worth :)
Oct 26 '06 #2
Hemant Pathak
92 Recognized Expert New Member
Hi............. ..

There are quite a few differences in VB6 and VB.NET. We will highlight some of these here in points:

The greatest change in VB6 and VB.NET is of runtime environment. VB6 used the VB-Runtime while VB.NET uses the .Net Common Language Runtime (.Net CLR). The CLR is much better designed and implemented than VB-Runtime. The CLR uses better code translation through Just in Time compiler while VB-Runtime interprets the code. The CLR Garbage Collector is also more efficient than VB6 one as it may detect cyclic references too.

VB6 was interpreter based language while VB.NET is a compiled language

VB6 was not a type-safe language while VB.NET is a type safe language. There is no variant type in VB.NET and no magical type conversions happen in VB.NET

VB6 used ‘On Error Goto’ syntax to handle exceptions at runtime. VB.NET uses the Try…Catch…Final ly syntax to handle exceptions at runtime.

A lot of code (like user interface code) in VB6 was hidden from developer. In VB.NET no code is hidden from developer and you can access and control each part of your application

VB.NET has much enhanced object oriented support than VB6

VB6 does not allow developing the multithreaded applications. In VB.NET you can create multithreaded applications.

VB6 was only considered good for desktop windows application. In VB.NET you can also develop web applications, distributed applications, create .NET windows and web controls and components, write windows and web services.

In VB.NET, you can also use reflections to read the meta-data of types and using reflection emit you can also generate code to define and invoke types at runtime.

VB.NET uses .NET framework class library along with specialized VB library (System.VisualB asic) as a standard library. As a result, the standard library for VB.NET is much enhanced and useful compared to VB6 standard library

VB.NET is platform independent because of .Net framework. Programs written in VB.NET can run on any platform where .Net framework is present. The platform include both hardware and software (operating system) platforms.

VB.NET also supports language interoperabilit y with various .NET compliant languages. This means that you can use and enhance the code written in other .NET compliant languages. Similarly the code written in VB.NET can also be used and enhanced by other .NET compliant languages. Although VB6 also provided this functionality through COM but it was limited and difficult to use and manage. VB.Net makes it easier because of the presence of Intermediate Language (IL) and Common Language Specification (CLS) of the .NET architecture.

VB6 uses COM (Component Object Model) as component architecture. VB.NET uses assemblies as its component architecture. The Assemblies architecture has removed a lot of problems with COM including DLL-Hell and versioning problem.

Components created in VB6 (COM) need to make and update registry entries. VB.NET does not require any registry entry making the deployment easier

VB6 used ASP to build web applications. VB.NET uses ASP.NET to build web applications.

VB6 used ADODB and record-sets to implement data access applications. VB.NET uses ADO.NET and datasets to build data access applications. The ADO.NET also supports the disconnected data access.
Oct 26 '06 #3

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: Julie | last post by:
We have forms written in Visual Basic 6.0. They were previously written for an Access database which was moved to SQL Server 2000. Here's the connect string I used: ODBC;UID=visualbasic;PWD=password;SERVER=MPSQL;DRIVER={SQL SERVER};DATABASE=MPPhoto The user visualbasic and the user logged in to the computer have full rights to the database.
by: pdcjlw1 | last post by:
I am attempting to learn how to program in VisualBasic.Net after many years as a Cobol programmer. I've done some simple things in VisualBasic.net and have a good understainding of SQL, but I still have trouble with the concept of Objects and how to use the code sharing features of VisualBasic. Can anyone suggest a method of training that works well with older Cobol programmers? Thanks.
by: JOSE RIVAS | last post by:
HI PLEASE HELP Im making a program, that makes a process (OCR process) so i reach to automate it in order to open a file ("c:\image.bmp") and then executes the ocr process ok.. it is working fine.. i just need to change that static route ("c:\image.bmp") for a parameter and generate a dll or exe file.. cause i will send via VFOXRO this parameter (in order to automate a batch process of numerous images)
by: LCAdeveloper | last post by:
I have had to move to Visual Studio.NET Pro. from Visual Basic 4.0 and am now starting to re-write our code. I was a bit surprised to find that Visual Basic.NET no longer supports fixed length strings, which is a pain as we use our own database format with specific, user-defined data types and random access files. An example module content would be Option Explici Type Record Operation As String * 4 unit As String * 2 Marker1 As String *...
by: Chris Lane | last post by:
Hi, I have been searching for a possible list that shows what methods or properties in the System Names replace the ones in the Visual Basic Namespace so I can stop using the Visual Basic Namespace on new projects. Thus far I have been unable to find this information, please inform me. For example in the Visual Basic Namespace there are Control Characters like Tab and Back and so on. Where are the equivalents in the System Namespace?
by: Alexander Baranovsky | last post by:
Hello friends, How I can determine full path of Microsoft.Basic.dll? Thanks, Alexander
by: Ing. Carlos Villaseñor M. | last post by:
Hi everybody! I have developed in C# and got in a news group a math class that make matrix operations, eigenvals, eigenvecs, stat functions and much more, but now I trying to develop software in Visual Basic.NET and wondering if does exist something like that for Basic.NET. I appreciate some help Thank you
by: suresh_punniyakkodi | last post by:
Hellow, I am suresh, i am developing one project in VB. I need your help. My question is how to zoom pictures(zoom in and zoom out) in Visual Basic (like Photo Editor). Because, i am managing some pictures in my one part of the Project, and i need how to rotate pictures in Visual Basic. So, please tell me how to include zooming facility in VisualBasic. and how to include scrolls in that pictures, and also i need zoom to...
by: Ronm | last post by:
Hey Guys, I have a problem which has been driving me crazy for the last days. I'm working on a small project involving: Visual Basic Acces Database ASP and adobe/macromedia Flash,
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However, people are often confused as to whether an ONU can Work As a Router. In this blog post, we’ll explore What is ONU, What Is Router, ONU & Router’s main usage, and What is the difference between ONU and Router. Let’s take a closer look ! Part I. Meaning of...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can effortlessly switch the default language on Windows 10 without reinstalling. I'll walk you through it. First, let's disable language synchronization. With a Microsoft account, language settings sync across devices. To prevent any complications,...
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers, it seems that the internal comparison operator "<=>" tries to promote arguments from unsigned to signed. This is as boiled down as I can make it. Here is my compilation command: g++-12 -std=c++20 -Wnarrowing bit_field.cpp Here is the code in...
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each protocol has its own unique characteristics and advantages, but as a user who is planning to build a smart home system, I am a bit confused by the choice of these technologies. I'm particularly interested in Zigbee because I've heard it does some...
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing, and deployment—without human intervention. Imagine an AI that can take a project description, break it down, write the code, debug it, and then launch it, all on its own.... Now, this would greatly impact the work of software developers. The idea...
by: TSSRALBI | last post by:
Hello I'm a network technician in training and I need your help. I am currently learning how to create and manage the different types of VPNs and I have a question about LAN-to-LAN VPNs. The last exercise I practiced was to create a LAN-to-LAN VPN between two Pfsense firewalls, by using IPSEC protocols. I succeeded, with both firewalls in the same network. But I'm wondering if it's possible to do the same thing, with 2 Pfsense firewalls...
by: adsilva | last post by:
A Windows Forms form does not have the event Unload, like VB6. What one acts like?
by: 6302768590 | last post by:
Hai team i want code for transfer the data from one system to another through IP address by using C# our system has to for every 5mins then we have to update the data what the data is updated we have to send another system
muto222
by: muto222 | last post by:
How can i add a mobile payment intergratation into php mysql website.

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.