469,612 Members | 1,674 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 469,612 developers. It's quick & easy.

Permission to kill a process

Joe
If I'm using process.kill, I can only kill processes,
which are created in the same login session. (I'm using
win2000, I'm in the local admin group) Processes created
by me in earlier logins or even processes of other
accounts cannot be killed. I get exceptions, like "You
have no permission...".

I've tried to do the job in a console application and in a
service running under my account (which is in the local
admin group of win2000), but I have the effects described
above. (The goal is to do process cleaning as a service.)

In the TaskManager I can kill the processes, which I
cannot in vb.net. The zones "My Computer" and "Local
Intranet" are set to "Full Trust".

Any ideas where to get/set the missing permission for e.g.
kill a process by someone in the admin group?

Joe
Nov 20 '05 #1
7 2787
Try setting the service to the local system account rather than your named
account and allow it to interact with the desktop.

Just a thought !

Regards - OHM
Joe wrote:
If I'm using process.kill, I can only kill processes,
which are created in the same login session. (I'm using
win2000, I'm in the local admin group) Processes created
by me in earlier logins or even processes of other
accounts cannot be killed. I get exceptions, like "You
have no permission...".

I've tried to do the job in a console application and in a
service running under my account (which is in the local
admin group of win2000), but I have the effects described
above. (The goal is to do process cleaning as a service.)

In the TaskManager I can kill the processes, which I
cannot in vb.net. The zones "My Computer" and "Local
Intranet" are set to "Full Trust".

Any ideas where to get/set the missing permission for e.g.
kill a process by someone in the admin group?

Joe

Nov 20 '05 #2
Hi!
---> Joe: Sorry, for getting into your discussion but I was looking for this
quite long...
---> OHM: Do you have any idea how to set interactivity of a service from a
program??? I really need it...
Please help...
Nov 20 '05 #3
Sure. Go into the services panel in control panel, choose the service and
then set to system.

Regards OHM

zurg wrote:
Hi!
---> Joe: Sorry, for getting into your discussion but I was looking
for this quite long...
---> OHM: Do you have any idea how to set interactivity of a service
from a program??? I really need it...
Please help...

Nov 20 '05 #4
Actually I misunderstood your question. You mean programatically change it?.
Well, you cannot mitigate the WIN32 System security. So you would need to
start the process with a specific ID you cannot simply change it while its
running.

Regards - OHM
One Handed Man wrote:
Sure. Go into the services panel in control panel, choose the service
and then set to system.

Regards OHM

zurg wrote:
Hi!
---> Joe: Sorry, for getting into your discussion but I was looking
for this quite long...
---> OHM: Do you have any idea how to set interactivity of a service
from a program??? I really need it...
Please help...

Nov 20 '05 #5
Joe
If it would be that easy, the console application should
have done the job without doing anything...

BTW, the service have to run under a named account because
it has also another tasks to do, which need it. But the
question isn't the service, but the killing of processes.

Joe
-----Original Message-----
Try setting the service to the local system account rather than your namedaccount and allow it to interact with the desktop.

Just a thought !

Regards - OHM
Joe wrote:
If I'm using process.kill, I can only kill processes,
which are created in the same login session. (I'm using
win2000, I'm in the local admin group) Processes created
by me in earlier logins or even processes of other
accounts cannot be killed. I get exceptions, like "You
have no permission...".

I've tried to do the job in a console application and in a service running under my account (which is in the local
admin group of win2000), but I have the effects described above. (The goal is to do process cleaning as a service.)
In the TaskManager I can kill the processes, which I
cannot in vb.net. The zones "My Computer" and "Local
Intranet" are set to "Full Trust".

Any ideas where to get/set the missing permission for e.g. kill a process by someone in the admin group?

Joe

.

Nov 20 '05 #6
Yes, I was asking how to do it programicly...
Is it possible to change the interactivity BEFORE running the service?
Mayby there is any other way?
Tell me if you know any...
I have to make service interactive but I can do it during instalaction or
later - no problem...
So if you know any way to do that just let me know...
Nov 20 '05 #7
Max
Could you guys just go away with your thread to your own?
Max
-----Original Message-----
Yes, I was asking how to do it programicly...
Is it possible to change the interactivity BEFORE running the service?Mayby there is any other way?
Tell me if you know any...
I have to make service interactive but I can do it during instalaction orlater - no problem...
So if you know any way to do that just let me know...
.

Nov 20 '05 #8

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

6 posts views Thread by Bob Swerdlow | last post: by
10 posts views Thread by Fred | last post: by
3 posts views Thread by pattanawadee | last post: by
1 post views Thread by Manfred Braun | last post: by
5 posts views Thread by Dino Buljubasic | last post: by
3 posts views Thread by elrondrules | last post: by
4 posts views Thread by Richard Rossel | last post: by
2 posts views Thread by =?Utf-8?B?WVhR?= | last post: by
reply views Thread by gheharukoh7 | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.