By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
455,441 Members | 1,563 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 455,441 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

A Comparison Of Dynamic and Static Languiges

P: n/a
I'm doing a report on the speed of develipment and executionin varius
programing langiuiges. write code for all these tasks in the languige
of your choise if intrestied send code to at*******@aol.com.

Task 1:
write a program that prints how many times you repeat all words in a
file passed as a comand line
paramiter and from STDIN. with the output format being "\"%s\" word
repeated %i times\n"
Task 2:
write a comand line rpn calculator that has a syntax like forth with
only floats; also it must have these and
only these operations +, -, *, /, ., .s, rot, dup, swap, pick, roll.
.. and .s are pop print and .s print stack in this
with a new line after each item and the top of the stack at the
bottom.

compiler info

c#: mono 1.1.13.7
perl: perl 5.8.8
python: python 2.4.2
ruby: ruby 1.8.4

Oct 21 '06 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
9 Replies


P: n/a
at*******@aol.com wrote:
I'm doing a report on the speed of develipment and executionin varius
programing langiuiges. write code for all these tasks in the languige
of your choise if intrestied send code to at*******@aol.com.
What you should be doing is learning basic literacy.

Life works like this:

1. Write your magnum opus article, become famous, retire to a Greek island.

2. But first, learn how to assemble paragraphs into articles.

3. But first, learn how to assemble sentences into paragraphs.

4. But first, learn how to assemble words into sentences.

5. But first, learn how to assemble letters into words.

Start at the bottom, work to the top. Whatever you do, do not presume to
start at the top.

Also, don't post your homework assignment word-for-word. It makes you look
craven and inexperienced.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com
Oct 21 '06 #2

P: n/a
Perhaps you should do your own work so you'll understand the concept and
learn something?

Also, widely posting your real (unaltered) email address in forums like this
is a sure way to get noticed by spammers.

Good luck.

<at*******@aol.comwrote in message
news:11**********************@m7g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...
I'm doing a report on the speed of develipment and executionin varius
programing langiuiges. write code for all these tasks in the languige
of your choise if intrestied send code to at*******@aol.com.

Task 1:
write a program that prints how many times you repeat all words in a
file passed as a comand line
paramiter and from STDIN. with the output format being "\"%s\" word
repeated %i times\n"
Task 2:
write a comand line rpn calculator that has a syntax like forth with
only floats; also it must have these and
only these operations +, -, *, /, ., .s, rot, dup, swap, pick, roll.
. and .s are pop print and .s print stack in this
with a new line after each item and the top of the stack at the
bottom.

compiler info

c#: mono 1.1.13.7
perl: perl 5.8.8
python: python 2.4.2
ruby: ruby 1.8.4

Oct 21 '06 #3

P: n/a
<at*******@aol.comwrote in message
news:11**********************@m7g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...
I'm doing a report on the speed of develipment and executionin varius
programing langiuiges. write code for all these tasks in the languige
of your choise if intrestied send code to at*******@aol.com.

Task 1:
write a program that prints how many times you repeat all words in a
file passed as a comand line
paramiter and from STDIN. with the output format being "\"%s\" word
repeated %i times\n"
Task 2:
write a comand line rpn calculator that has a syntax like forth with
only floats; also it must have these and
only these operations +, -, *, /, ., .s, rot, dup, swap, pick, roll.
. and .s are pop print and .s print stack in this
with a new line after each item and the top of the stack at the
bottom.

compiler info

c#: mono 1.1.13.7
perl: perl 5.8.8
python: python 2.4.2
ruby: ruby 1.8.4
yer dreemin sorry not intrestied due yer onn homework
Oct 21 '06 #4

P: n/a

at*******@aol.com wrote:
c#: mono 1.1.13.7
perl: perl 5.8.8
python: python 2.4.2
ruby: ruby 1.8.4
And why would any of this tell you anything about static versus dynamic
languages? The languages you list are all dependent on different
runtimes, and your results will simply reflect that. It would not tell
you anything about how the dynamic or static nature of the language
affects the execution speed.

Common Lisp is dynamic just like Python, and there are interpreted and
compiled implementations of it. It is common knowledge that interpreted
Lisp is "slow". Fewer know that compiled Lisp runs nearly at the speed
of C, albeit being a dynamic language. So how would you conclude if you
added a compiled implementation of Common Lisp to your list?

Oct 21 '06 #5

P: n/a
On 2006-10-21 20:41:42 +0200, Scott M. wrote:
Also, widely posting your real (unaltered) email address in forums like this
is a sure way to get noticed by spammers.
This newsgroup is mirrored by a mailing-list, so many people use their real
address. The solution to spam is spamfiltering (spambayes), not hiding ones
address on the internet.

Gerrit.
Oct 21 '06 #6

P: n/a

Gerrit Holl wrote:
This newsgroup is mirrored by a mailing-list, so many people use their real
address. The solution to spam is spamfiltering (spambayes), not hiding ones
address on the internet.
The answer to spam here in Norway is incredibly simple. It seems that
all spam originates in the US or South Korea. The following filter can
thus be applied:

1. Create a white-list of all valid contacts in the US.
(There is no need to create a white list for Korea, as it will be empty
anyway.)

2. Do a reverse nslookup of the sender on zz.countries.nerd.dk. If the
return value is 127.0.3.72 or 127.0.1.154, and the sender is not in the
whitelist, flag the mail as spam.

3. Accept all other mail.

Do you think spambayes can beat this filter?

Oct 21 '06 #7

P: n/a
sturlamolden wrote:
Gerrit Holl wrote:

>>This newsgroup is mirrored by a mailing-list, so many people use their real
address. The solution to spam is spamfiltering (spambayes), not hiding ones
address on the internet.


The answer to spam here in Norway is incredibly simple. It seems that
all spam originates in the US or South Korea. The following filter can
thus be applied:

1. Create a white-list of all valid contacts in the US.
(There is no need to create a white list for Korea, as it will be empty
anyway.)

2. Do a reverse nslookup of the sender on zz.countries.nerd.dk. If the
return value is 127.0.3.72 or 127.0.1.154, and the sender is not in the
whitelist, flag the mail as spam.

3. Accept all other mail.

Do you think spambayes can beat this filter?
Since network 127 is reserved in its entirety for loopback (local
process) use, it would seem that any DNS name that maps to an address in
that space with the single exception of "localhost" should be treated as
a spammer.

If you only receive spam from the USA and Korea then consider yourself
lucky. Your "solution" is simplistic beyond belief. Are you *sure* you
know in advance all potential senders from the USA? I'm (currently) in
the UK, but sending via a .com domain that operated through a server in
the USA. Where am I "from".

I suspect your posting may have been a troll.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +44 150 684 7255 +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC/Ltd http://www.holdenweb.com
Skype: holdenweb http://holdenweb.blogspot.com
Recent Ramblings http://del.icio.us/steve.holden

Oct 22 '06 #8

P: n/a
Steve Holden wrote:
Since network 127 is reserved in its entirety for loopback (local
process) use, it would seem that any DNS name that maps to an address in
that space with the single exception of "localhost" should be treated as
a spammer.
countries.nerd.dk is a DNS blackhole system that can be used to filter
on originating country. like most other DNSBL systems, it uses loopback
addresses to return status codes (in this case, country codes).

</F>

Oct 22 '06 #9

P: n/a
Fredrik Lundh wrote:
Steve Holden wrote:

>>Since network 127 is reserved in its entirety for loopback (local
process) use, it would seem that any DNS name that maps to an address in
that space with the single exception of "localhost" should be treated as
a spammer.


countries.nerd.dk is a DNS blackhole system that can be used to filter
on originating country. like most other DNSBL systems, it uses loopback
addresses to return status codes (in this case, country codes).
(!)

Light goes on. Thanks.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +44 150 684 7255 +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC/Ltd http://www.holdenweb.com
Skype: holdenweb http://holdenweb.blogspot.com
Recent Ramblings http://del.icio.us/steve.holden

Oct 22 '06 #10

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.