468,288 Members | 1,968 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 468,288 developers. It's quick & easy.

Execute C code through Python

What's the easiest and quickest way to execute a compiled C "command
line interface" program THROUGH Python?

Oct 20 '05 #1
14 1838
Ernesto wrote:
What's the easiest and quickest way to execute a compiled C "command
line interface" program THROUGH Python?


I don't know what you mean by THROUGH. But the subprocess, popen2 and
os-modules deal with calling other programs. Try them in that order.

Diez
Oct 20 '05 #2
import subprocess
subprocess.call("cmd")

Oct 21 '05 #3
Thanks. Can anyone provide an example of using *subprocess* to run
helloWorld.C through the python interpreter.

Oct 21 '05 #4
"Ernesto" wrote:
Thanks. Can anyone provide an example of using *subprocess* to run
helloWorld.C through the python interpreter.


compile helloWorld, and run:

import subprocess
subprocess.call("helloWorld")

(any special reason why you couldn't figure this out yourself, given the
example provided by gsteff ?)

</F>

Oct 21 '05 #5
On 2005-10-21, Ernesto <er*******@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks. Can anyone provide an example of using *subprocess* to run
helloWorld.C through the python interpreter.


No. You can't run a .C file. You can run a .exe file (I'm
guessing you're using Windows based on the question).
--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Am I accompanied by
at a PARENT or GUARDIAN?
visi.com
Oct 21 '05 #6
On Oct 21, Grant Edwards wrote:
I'm guessing you're using Windows based on the question.


+1 QOTW.

--
_ _ ___
|V|icah |- lliott http://micah.elliott.name md*@micah.elliott.name
" " """
Oct 21 '05 #7
On 2005-10-21, Micah Elliott <md*@micah.elliott.name> wrote:
On Oct 21, Grant Edwards wrote:
I'm guessing you're using Windows based on the question.


+1 QOTW.


Yow! That's two in one day, what do I win?

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'll take ROAST BEEF
at if you're out of LAMB!!
visi.com
Oct 21 '05 #8
Grant Edwards wrote:
On 2005-10-21, Micah Elliott <md*@micah.elliott.name> wrote:
On Oct 21, Grant Edwards wrote:
I'm guessing you're using Windows based on the question.


+1 QOTW.

Yow! That's two in one day, what do I win?

If my experience is anything to go by it just means there won't be a
weekly URL this week :-)

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +44 150 684 7255 +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC www.holdenweb.com
PyCon TX 2006 www.python.org/pycon/

Oct 21 '05 #9
Grant Edwards wrote:
On 2005-10-21, Ernesto <er*******@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks. Can anyone provide an example of using *subprocess* to run
helloWorld.C through the python interpreter.


No. You can't run a .C file


Unless you have a C interpreter installed. e.g.:

import os
os.system("eic helloWorld.C")

(Requires eic to be in your PATH.)

I doubt it's what the OP was looking for, though.

http://eic.sourceforge.net/

Oct 21 '05 #10

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
"Ernesto" wrote:
Thanks. Can anyone provide an example of using *subprocess* to run
helloWorld.C through the python interpreter.


compile helloWorld, and run:

import subprocess
subprocess.call("helloWorld")

(any special reason why you couldn't figure this out yourself, given the
example provided by gsteff ?)

</F>


There is a reason (though it is not special). I'm new to Python. I
looked at all the documentation on subprocess, as well as popen. I
couldn't figure it out, so I thought an example (which I thank you for
providing) would help me along (which it did). Is there a special
reason for you having a problem with me asking for help? I thought
that's what this group is for.

Oct 24 '05 #11
Ernesto wrote:
> Thanks. Can anyone provide an example of using *subprocess* to run
> helloWorld.C through the python interpreter.


compile helloWorld, and run:

import subprocess
subprocess.call("helloWorld")

(any special reason why you couldn't figure this out yourself, given the
example provided by gsteff ?)


There is a reason (though it is not special). I'm new to Python. I
looked at all the documentation on subprocess, as well as popen. I
couldn't figure it out, so I thought an example (which I thank you for
providing) would help me along (which it did).


as I noted in the part of my reply that you didn't read, the person you replied to
(gsteff) also provided an example. Since his post didn't contain any other text, I
did find it a bit strange that you missed that part of his message, but still managed
to reply to it.

</F>

Oct 24 '05 #12
So i generated the .exe file "myFile.exe"

This is a Windows - text based application. Right now, when I run:

import subprocess
subprocess.call("myFile")

the application starts in its own console window. Is there a way for
it to run inside the python interface?

Thanks,

Oct 25 '05 #13
Ernesto wrote:
So i generated the .exe file "myFile.exe"

This is a Windows - text based application. Right now, when I run:

import subprocess
subprocess.call("myFile")

the application starts in its own console window. Is there a way for
it to run inside the python interface?


Google found the following (after I read the docs for subprocess and
learned about the "startupinfo" flag, and searched for "subprocess
startupinfo"). Does this help?

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Coo.../Recipe/409002

-Peter
Oct 25 '05 #14

Peter Hansen wrote:

Google found the following (after I read the docs for subprocess and
learned about the "startupinfo" flag, and searched for "subprocess
startupinfo"). Does this help?

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Coo.../Recipe/409002

-Peter


Thanks Peter! That's exactly what I need.

Oct 26 '05 #15

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

1 post views Thread by Sheila King | last post: by
3 posts views Thread by robert | last post: by
19 posts views Thread by citronelu | last post: by
5 posts views Thread by nimitsis | last post: by
7 posts views Thread by ChaosKCW | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.