By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
454,717 Members | 1,413 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 454,717 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

PHP Content Management System

P: n/a
I'm looking for a content management system that works.

I've tried phpNuke, phpMyWeb and Jetbox so far. I cannot get any of them
to even display the admin screens.

I have an Apache 2/RH 9/PHP 4/mySQL setup - all tested via a simple
test.php script which does what it is meant to do.

However - I get nowhere even getting an error displayed on the above CMS
systems.

Please help.

--
Fancy a bowl of soup, love a nice icecream, adore a chocolate cake?
Suggest you re-evaluate your life.
Jul 17 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
42 Replies


P: n/a
Matthew Harrison wrote:
I'm looking for a content management system that works.

I've tried phpNuke, phpMyWeb and Jetbox so far. I cannot get any of them
to even display the admin screens.

I have an Apache 2/RH 9/PHP 4/mySQL setup - all tested via a simple
test.php script which does what it is meant to do.

However - I get nowhere even getting an error displayed on the above CMS
systems.

Please help.


Hi Matthew,

Just a kind word of advise: Your question is quite bad.
Actually it is not a question, but a complaint about 3 CMS's.

This kind of 'question' is unlikely to help you any futher.

Just suppose I am REALLY GOOD with all three abovementioned systems, Suppose
I wrote parts of it. (No, I didn't.)

What then could I answer to your question to help you going?

Be more specific.
Describe what you tried and what went wrong.
Did you read the manuals?
And last: Try to stick to 1 CMS and get it running first.
You only frustrate yourself trying to get 3 up...

Hang in, rephrase your question, be sure you read the manuals, and come back
after that, ok?
Good luck, don't give up.

Regards,
Erwin Moller

Jul 17 '05 #2

P: n/a
Ummmmm, as far as I can read, he just wants the names of systems other
than the ones he tried, not recipes for getting the systems he DID
mention to work...

legit question, I'd say...

frgr
Erik

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 16:13:31 +0200, the right honourable Erwin Moller
<si******************************************@spam yourself.com> wrote:
Matthew Harrison wrote:
I'm looking for a content management system that works.

I've tried phpNuke, phpMyWeb and Jetbox so far. I cannot get any of them
to even display the admin screens.

I have an Apache 2/RH 9/PHP 4/mySQL setup - all tested via a simple
test.php script which does what it is meant to do.

However - I get nowhere even getting an error displayed on the above CMS
systems.

Please help.


Hi Matthew,

Just a kind word of advise: Your question is quite bad.
Actually it is not a question, but a complaint about 3 CMS's.

This kind of 'question' is unlikely to help you any futher.

Just suppose I am REALLY GOOD with all three abovementioned systems, Suppose
I wrote parts of it. (No, I didn't.)

What then could I answer to your question to help you going?

Be more specific.
Describe what you tried and what went wrong.
Did you read the manuals?
And last: Try to stick to 1 CMS and get it running first.
You only frustrate yourself trying to get 3 up...

Hang in, rephrase your question, be sure you read the manuals, and come back
after that, ok?
Good luck, don't give up.

Regards,
Erwin Moller


Jul 17 '05 #3

P: n/a
if thats all he wants...

Matthew an alternative is http://www.e107.org.

- JP

"Erik" <et57 at correos calor dot com> wrote in message
news:sn********************************@4ax.com...
Ummmmm, as far as I can read, he just wants the names of systems other
than the ones he tried, not recipes for getting the systems he DID
mention to work...

legit question, I'd say...

frgr
Erik

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 16:13:31 +0200, the right honourable Erwin Moller
<si******************************************@spam yourself.com> wrote:
Matthew Harrison wrote:
I'm looking for a content management system that works.

I've tried phpNuke, phpMyWeb and Jetbox so far. I cannot get any of them to even display the admin screens.

I have an Apache 2/RH 9/PHP 4/mySQL setup - all tested via a simple
test.php script which does what it is meant to do.

However - I get nowhere even getting an error displayed on the above CMS systems.

Please help.


Hi Matthew,

Just a kind word of advise: Your question is quite bad.
Actually it is not a question, but a complaint about 3 CMS's.

This kind of 'question' is unlikely to help you any futher.

Just suppose I am REALLY GOOD with all three abovementioned systems, SupposeI wrote parts of it. (No, I didn't.)

What then could I answer to your question to help you going?

Be more specific.
Describe what you tried and what went wrong.
Did you read the manuals?
And last: Try to stick to 1 CMS and get it running first.
You only frustrate yourself trying to get 3 up...

Hang in, rephrase your question, be sure you read the manuals, and come backafter that, ok?
Good luck, don't give up.

Regards,
Erwin Moller

Jul 17 '05 #4

P: n/a
"Matthew Harrison" <m.********@craznar.com> wrote in message
news:c4*************@ID-211226.news.uni-berlin.de...
I'm looking for a content management system that works.

I've tried phpNuke, phpMyWeb and Jetbox so far. I cannot get any of them
to even display the admin screens.

I have an Apache 2/RH 9/PHP 4/mySQL setup - all tested via a simple
test.php script which does what it is meant to do.

However - I get nowhere even getting an error displayed on the above CMS
systems.


If you've tried three different CMSs with no success... what make you think
the next one will be any better? Those you've mentioned can/do work. They
work on thousands of servers each day. Perhaps you should find out *why*
those didn't work.

- Virgil
Jul 17 '05 #5

P: n/a

"Erik" <et57 at correos calor dot com> wrote in message
news:sn********************************@4ax.com...
Ummmmm, as far as I can read, he just wants the names of systems other
than the ones he tried, not recipes for getting the systems he DID
mention to work...

legit question, I'd say...

frgr
Erik
<snip>

Hes not asking this at all. Hes asking why these are not working on his
system.

</snip>
On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 16:13:31 +0200, the right honourable Erwin Moller
<si******************************************@spam yourself.com> wrote:
Matthew Harrison wrote:
I'm looking for a content management system that works.

I've tried phpNuke, phpMyWeb and Jetbox so far. I cannot get any of them to even display the admin screens.

I have an Apache 2/RH 9/PHP 4/mySQL setup - all tested via a simple
test.php script which does what it is meant to do.

However - I get nowhere even getting an error displayed on the above CMS systems.

Please help.


Hi Matthew,

Just a kind word of advise: Your question is quite bad.
Actually it is not a question, but a complaint about 3 CMS's.

This kind of 'question' is unlikely to help you any futher.

Just suppose I am REALLY GOOD with all three abovementioned systems, SupposeI wrote parts of it. (No, I didn't.)

What then could I answer to your question to help you going?

Be more specific.
Describe what you tried and what went wrong.
Did you read the manuals?
And last: Try to stick to 1 CMS and get it running first.
You only frustrate yourself trying to get 3 up...

Hang in, rephrase your question, be sure you read the manuals, and come backafter that, ok?
Good luck, don't give up.

Regards,
Erwin Moller

Jul 17 '05 #6

P: n/a
Erwin Moller wrote:
Just a kind word of advise: Your question is quite bad.
Actually it is not a question, but a complaint about 3 CMS's.


No - it was a direction to give me advice on one that works, I assume
that 3 is nowhere near how many there are. No point wasting people's
time having them suggest one that doesn't work.

Mambo is now installed and running no problems.

--
Fancy a bowl of soup, love a nice icecream, adore a chocolate cake?
Suggest you re-evaluate your life.
Jul 17 '05 #7

P: n/a
Hayden Kirk wrote:
Hes not asking this at all. Hes asking why these are not working on his
system.


No - I asked that question on the respective support sites/forums with
no feedback. This group isn't really a support group for specific CMS
systems - however I thought asking about alternates was marginally on topic.
--
Fancy a bowl of soup, love a nice icecream, adore a chocolate cake?
Suggest you re-evaluate your life.
Jul 17 '05 #8

P: n/a
Virgil Green wrote:

If you've tried three different CMSs with no success... what make you think
the next one will be any better?
I tried 20 or so newsgroup readers before I found one that I liked, I
figured 2 or 3 CMS systems not working isn't a big hurdle.
Those you've mentioned can/do work.
Well when there is only 3 lines of install instruction, and it does
nothing (no errors - literally nothing) after that happens - it doesn't
give you much hope.
They
work on thousands of servers each day.
I'd suspect more than thousands of people know more about hacking PHP
than I do (otherwise I'd write my own).
Perhaps you should find out *why*
those didn't work.


Why - seems easier to chase up an alternative or two. I've started
evaluating Mambo, and one other person has given me another one to try
out - in addition to another one I have found by asking elsewhere, I'm
way ahead of trying to hack PHP code.

--
Fancy a bowl of soup, love a nice icecream, adore a chocolate cake?
Suggest you re-evaluate your life.
Jul 17 '05 #9

P: n/a
kingofkolt wrote:
if thats all he wants...

Matthew an alternative is http://www.e107.org.


Thanks, bookmarked for 3rd in the queue.
--
Fancy a bowl of soup, love a nice icecream, adore a chocolate cake?
Suggest you re-evaluate your life.
Jul 17 '05 #10

P: n/a
On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 19:37:20 +1000, Matthew Harrison wrote:
Erwin Moller wrote:
Just a kind word of advise: Your question is quite bad.
Actually it is not a question, but a complaint about 3 CMS's.


No - it was a direction to give me advice on one that works, I assume
that 3 is nowhere near how many there are. No point wasting people's
time having them suggest one that doesn't work.

Mambo is now installed and running no problems.

Before you try anything else.. may I suggest brain-0.0.4rc2. It
seems that your system is in _severe_ need of an upgrade.

While I don't personally like pre-coded CMS'... *nuke _does_ work.

As the old saying goes...
A bad workman always blames his tools.
Sounds like that phrase fits perfectly here.

Regards,

Ian

--
Ian.H
digiServ Network
London, UK
http://digiserv.net/

Jul 17 '05 #11

P: n/a
Ian.H wrote:
On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 19:37:20 +1000, Matthew Harrison wrote:
Before you try anything else.. may I suggest brain-0.0.4rc2. It
seems that your system is in _severe_ need of an upgrade.
I assume you are recommending it from personal experience, but no I
don't really need it fuckwit.
While I don't personally like pre-coded CMS'... *nuke _does_ work.
I don't consider a blank <BODY></BODY> tag as 'working' thank you very
much arsehole.
As the old saying goes...


.... if a workman finds that 3 out of 6 things don't work, and the other
3 work perfectly then something is wrong with the 3 things.

So you feeble little troll, go home and fuck your mother.

--
Fancy a bowl of soup, love a nice icecream, adore a chocolate cake?
Suggest you re-evaluate your life.
Jul 17 '05 #12

P: n/a
Matthew Harrison wrote:
Erwin Moller wrote:
Just a kind word of advise: Your question is quite bad.
Actually it is not a question, but a complaint about 3 CMS's.
No - it was a direction to give me advice on one that works, I assume
that 3 is nowhere near how many there are. No point wasting people's
time having them suggest one that doesn't work.


All three abovementioned systems work....


Mambo is now installed and running no problems.


Jul 17 '05 #13

P: n/a
Erwin Moller wrote:
All three abovementioned systems work....


Not helpful, I know a screw-driver works - but not if you are trying to
make coffee.

I don't consider a blank web page, with no errors as working in the
sense of a content management system.

They did work in the sense of time wasting and the fact there was no errors.

Seems to be a few dickheads like you on this group.

Thankfully, I also found some helpful people who have led me to some
working CMS systems.

--
Fancy a bowl of soup, love a nice icecream, adore a chocolate cake?
Suggest you re-evaluate your life.
Jul 17 '05 #14

P: n/a
Matthew Harrison schrieb:

Thanks, bookmarked for 3rd in the queue.


http://www.postnuke.com

Frank

--
http://www.pncommerce.de
Jul 17 '05 #15

P: n/a
Matthew Harrison wrote:
Erwin Moller wrote:
All three abovementioned systems work....


Not helpful, I know a screw-driver works - but not if you are trying to
make coffee.

I don't consider a blank web page, with no errors as working in the
sense of a content management system.

They did work in the sense of time wasting and the fact there was no
errors.

Seems to be a few dickheads like you on this group.

Thankfully, I also found some helpful people who have led me to some
working CMS systems.


Hi Matthew,

In general I put guys like you on my blacklist so I don't have to waste more
time on them, but I'll make an exception for you. Allthough I don't like to
be called dickhead after giving you some advise...
Please read this and try to understand what my point is, ok?

You drop into this NG and state that 3 state-of-the-art CMS systems don't
work.
You don't give us any valuable information, like what you tried, if you read
the manuals, etc. You even claim that the complete installinstructions
contains 3 lines for a certain CMS. 3 lines? Come on. You have to try a
little harder.
Did you google for FAQ?
Did you search groups.google?

It's like this: You get 3 good cars for free and go to some carsnewsgroup
were you say: "I got myself 3 cars and all three don't drive! What
worthless cars! What car should I try to get next?"

And when I warn you that your question isn't likeky to give any result,
which is quite nice of me to spend my time on, you get pissed and just keep
claiming that they don't work, while everybody, who knows anything of
CMS's, knows that they DO work.
Then you end with calling me a dickhead.
What impression do you think you leave?

If it is too difficult for you to behave like an adult, and you are too lazy
to do your own work, I suggest you stick to M$ and helpdesks. I hope they
charge you a lot. Don't expect me to ever try to help/eduacte you again,
'cos you just blew it for me.
Did it occur to you that most people in this NG are professionals who freely
spend their time on your silly lazy questions?

Pfft.

Erwin Moller
Jul 17 '05 #16

P: n/a
Frank Schummertz wrote:
Matthew Harrison schrieb:

Thanks, bookmarked for 3rd in the queue.

http://www.postnuke.com


Tried that one - doesn't work.

Thanks anyway.

--
Fancy a bowl of soup, love a nice icecream, adore a chocolate cake?
Suggest you re-evaluate your life.
Jul 17 '05 #17

P: n/a
Matthew Harrison schrieb:
http://www.postnuke.com

Tried that one - doesn't work.

Thanks anyway.

What does "doesn't work" mean? Can you be more exact here pls?

Frank

--
http://www.pncommerce.de
Jul 17 '05 #18

P: n/a
Frank Schummertz wrote:
Matthew Harrison schrieb:
http://www.postnuke.com

Tried that one - doesn't work.
Thanks anyway.

What does "doesn't work" mean? Can you be more exact here pls?


If you insist.

Installed as per instructions (which are not really too complicated)

Went to admin page and got:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
charset=iso-8859-1"></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>

Back. No errors in apache log, mysql logs - no errors anywhere. Not hint.

Wrote my own little test.php script (to make sure it wasn't something
silly) put it in the root - test.php works as planned.

I don't see why so many people are upset about this. If I came on and
said my toaster doesn't work - would people be just as upset ? If I
asked for recommendations on other toasters to buy because the one I had
didn't work - would they get upset ?

--
Fancy a bowl of soup, love a nice icecream, adore a chocolate cake?
Suggest you re-evaluate your life.
Jul 17 '05 #19

P: n/a
On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 16:59:51 +1000, Matthew Harrison wrote:
Erwin Moller wrote:
All three abovementioned systems work....


Not helpful, I know a screw-driver works - but not if you are trying to
make coffee.

I don't consider a blank web page, with no errors as working in the
sense of a content management system.

They did work in the sense of time wasting and the fact there was no errors.

Seems to be a few dickheads like you on this group.

Oh dear... and now you've just sold _any_ reasonable argument you may have
had.. and probably crippled future help for yourself.

People like yourself amuse me... don't have the brains to get somethign as
simple as *nuke working.. yet slate other people off (pot... kettle spring
to mind here).. remember _you_ were the one asking for help.

You could of course... write you own that'd be 100% bug free! now there's
a thought.

Regards,

Ian

--
Ian.H
digiServ Network
London, UK
http://digiserv.net/

Jul 17 '05 #20

P: n/a
I noticed that Message-ID:
<c5*************@ID-211226.news.uni-berlin.de> from Matthew Harrison
contained the following:
http://www.postnuke.com
Tried that one - doesn't work.
Thanks anyway.

What does "doesn't work" mean? Can you be more exact here pls?


If you insist.

Installed as per instructions (which are not really too complicated)

Went to admin page and got:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
charset=iso-8859-1"></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>

Back. No errors in apache log, mysql logs - no errors anywhere. Not hint.


I tried to install OSCommerce and that didn't work either. However,
since there are loads of OSCommerce sites out there I concluded that I
must have done something wrong.

Did the same not occur to you?

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.
My opinions, not the committee's, mine.
Simple RFDs http://www.ckdog.co.uk/rfdmaker/
Jul 17 '05 #21

P: n/a
On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 21:21:32 +1000, Matthew Harrison wrote:
Back. No errors in apache log, mysql logs - no errors anywhere. Not hint.

And your error_reporting is set to?

Wrote my own little test.php script (to make sure it wasn't something
silly) put it in the root - test.php works as planned.

ROFL! a "little test script" is hardly a CMS is it? ;)

I don't see why so many people are upset about this. If I came on and
said my toaster doesn't work - would people be just as upset ?

Yes! WTF would that have to do with PHP?

If I
asked for recommendations on other toasters to buy because the one I had
didn't work - would they get upset ?

Yes.. WTF would that have to do with PHP?
Matthew.. before you make yourself look / sound any more stupid /
incompetent and embarrass yourself further.. I _strongly_ suggest you
learn and understand PHP further before making _COMPLETELY_ false
statements like this.

Just because _you_ aren't smart enough to setup *nuke.. doesn't mean it's
broken (it's horrible IMO... but it works).

Regards,

Ian

--
Ian.H
digiServ Network
London, UK
http://digiserv.net/

Jul 17 '05 #22

P: n/a
Geoff Berrow wrote:
I tried to install OSCommerce and that didn't work either. However,
since there are loads of OSCommerce sites out there I concluded that I
must have done something wrong.
There is tons of different CMS systems out there, of which so far only a
couple did not work.

If your toaster doesn't work, do you automatically assume it is your
fault. I don't - I have more confidence in my abilities.
Did the same not occur to you?


Not for long - with 3 simple instructions to follow, and a complete lack
of any errors or feedback at all except a blank page; it was clearly not
my fault. If on the other hand an error had appeared in a log or on the
web page saying 'You fucking moron you forgot to change the permissions'
or something - then I would happily admit it was my fault and proceed to
fix the problem.

So as I said before, if my toaster doesn't work I don't get abused when
I tell someone and ask for recommendations for replacement - why should
I be abused for asking the same question about a CMS ?

--
Fancy a bowl of soup, love a nice icecream, adore a chocolate cake?
Suggest you re-evaluate your life.
Jul 17 '05 #23

P: n/a
I noticed that Message-ID:
<c5*************@ID-211226.news.uni-berlin.de> from Matthew Harrison
contained the following:
So as I said before, if my toaster doesn't work I don't get abused when
I tell someone and ask for recommendations for replacement - why should
I be abused for asking the same question about a CMS ?


My toaster doesn't tell me why it won't work, does yours?

And if everyone else's toasters work and mine doesn't then naturally I'm
going to say the toaster is at fault. Not.

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.
My opinions, not the committee's, mine.
Simple RFDs http://www.ckdog.co.uk/rfdmaker/
Jul 17 '05 #24

P: n/a
Geoff Berrow wrote:
I noticed that Message-ID:
<c5*************@ID-211226.news.uni-berlin.de> from Matthew Harrison
contained the following:

So as I said before, if my toaster doesn't work I don't get abused when
I tell someone and ask for recommendations for replacement - why should
I be abused for asking the same question about a CMS ?

My toaster doesn't tell me why it won't work, does yours?


No, just like the three CMS systems I mentioned - my toaster mentions
nothing about why it isn't working.
And if everyone else's toasters work and mine doesn't then naturally I'm

going to say the toaster is at fault. Not.


So when your toaster stops working, you continue to use it purely
because everyone elses toaster is working.

Wow - you must have an interesting life.
--
Fancy a bowl of soup, love a nice icecream, adore a chocolate cake?
Suggest you re-evaluate your life.
Jul 17 '05 #25

P: n/a
I noticed that Message-ID:
<c5*************@ID-211226.news.uni-berlin.de> from Matthew Harrison
contained the following:
> And if everyone else's toasters work and mine doesn't then naturally I'm

going to say the toaster is at fault. Not.


So when your toaster stops working, you continue to use it purely
because everyone elses toaster is working.


Are you determined to prove what a prat you are for anyone still in
doubt?

You never had the CMS working.

If you can't even keep up with the logic of your own analogy, there is
no hope.

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.
My opinions, not the committee's, mine.
Simple RFDs http://www.ckdog.co.uk/rfdmaker/
Jul 17 '05 #26

P: n/a
Geoff Berrow wrote:
Are you determined to prove what a prat you are for anyone still in
doubt?
You are the troll, I'm the innocent bystander - I really, really, truly,
honestly, absolutely have no idea why this tiny little question has
rattled so many people.

You can choose to believe me, or not - it doesn't change reality.
You never had the CMS working.
Exactly, and over the last 20 years installing everything from Windows
software to advanced identity management servers and the like - I've
found maybe 0.02% of them just didn't work. It doesn't bother me that
they don't work - I didn't pay a cent for them, so I don't see that
anyone owes me an explanation as to why they don't work, or owes me a
fix for them. SO I TRY ANOTHER.
If you can't even keep up with the logic of your own analogy, there is
no hope.


A:
I bought a brand new CD player some years ago, it didn't work. I posted
a message on a newsgroup saying my Blah 9000 CD Player doesn't work -
can someone suggest some alternate brands I might buy.

No flames, no abuse - several people suggested alternate brands of CD
player for me to buy after I refunded the one that never worked.

B:
I downloaded a brand new CMS system some days ago, it didn't work. I
posted a message on a newsgroup saying that Blah 9000 CMS system doesn't
work - can someone suggest some alternate systems I might try.

Suddenly the world ends for a number of newsgroup inhabitants, they
through abuse at me as if I had insulted their very mothers.

For god's sake - give it up, don't take your work so seriously. Don't
try and change facts by force of numbers.

--
Fancy a bowl of soup, love a nice icecream, adore a chocolate cake?
Suggest you re-evaluate your life.
Jul 17 '05 #27

P: n/a
You also have to consider what your specific needs are within your
request for a content management system. I build a homemade CMS for
my website using PHP, TCL and ASP and it works beautifully for what I
need. PHP then, at least for my needs, is not a problem; perhaps it's
your methodology, your environment, your needs.

I come from a Vignette background, out of fairness, so I am a bit
foreign in the PHP-meets-CMS arena. But I've heard nothing but good
things about PHPNuke, Postnuke and many other PHP-based CMS platforms.

And BTW, if you were given a screwdriver to make coffee, might I
suggest you go to the right store (metaphor upon metaphor)?

Phil

Matthew Harrison <m.********@craznar.com> wrote in message news:<c4*************@ID-211226.news.uni-berlin.de>...
Virgil Green wrote:

If you've tried three different CMSs with no success... what make you think
the next one will be any better?


I tried 20 or so newsgroup readers before I found one that I liked, I
figured 2 or 3 CMS systems not working isn't a big hurdle.
Those you've mentioned can/do work.


Well when there is only 3 lines of install instruction, and it does
nothing (no errors - literally nothing) after that happens - it doesn't
give you much hope.
They
work on thousands of servers each day.


I'd suspect more than thousands of people know more about hacking PHP
than I do (otherwise I'd write my own).
> Perhaps you should find out *why*
those didn't work.


Why - seems easier to chase up an alternative or two. I've started
evaluating Mambo, and one other person has given me another one to try
out - in addition to another one I have found by asking elsewhere, I'm
way ahead of trying to hack PHP code.

Jul 17 '05 #28

P: n/a
Matthew Harrison wrote:
Geoff Berrow wrote:
Are you determined to prove what a prat you are for anyone still in
doubt?


You are the troll, I'm the innocent bystander - I really, really, truly,
honestly, absolutely have no idea why this tiny little question has
rattled so many people.


Matthew, you are soo out of line.

If you don't understand why we are a little irritated, then read my response
to your posting in the other thread.
I explained what your problem is.

You are an angry nOOb because things don't work as you expected.
And then the CMS is broken, or sucks or whatever.
THAT is the problem.

Most of us over here respect the people that put many hard hours into
things like *nuke to complete, and deliver that completely free to the
community.
A little respect and patience would suit you better.
And a little less attitude too by the way.

I found the PHP-people one of the nicest, most patient guys, and if you
upset some, believe me: you are doing something wrong.
Instead of trying to prove you are right, which you are clearly not, you
better try to learn a little today. A little about computers and PHP, and a
little about your behaviour, which clearly irritates people.

It irritates the hell out of me, that's for sure.

Erwin Moller
Jul 17 '05 #29

P: n/a
Phil Powell wrote:
You also have to consider what your specific needs are within your
request for a content management system. I build a homemade CMS for
my website using PHP, TCL and ASP and it works beautifully for what I
need. PHP then, at least for my needs, is not a problem; perhaps it's
your methodology, your environment, your needs.
Well, it is hard to evaluate something when it doesn't even turn on.

I come from a Vignette background, out of fairness, so I am a bit
foreign in the PHP-meets-CMS arena. But I've heard nothing but good
things about PHPNuke, Postnuke and many other PHP-based CMS platforms.


I come from a long background of developing ISAPI/MSSQL/IIS web
applications and if I had the money I'd have remote hosting with decent
support for that. I don't - so I am trying to wing it with
PHP/MySQL/Apache in the hopes that soon the dog of Apache 1.x will make
way for a great PHP5/MaxDB/Apache2 environment.
And BTW, if you were given a screwdriver to make coffee, might I

suggest you go to the right store (metaphor upon metaphor)?


(-: + no comment.

--
Fancy a bowl of soup, love a nice icecream, adore a chocolate cake?
Suggest you re-evaluate your life.
Jul 17 '05 #30

P: n/a
Erwin Moller wrote:
Matthew Harrison wrote:

Geoff Berrow wrote:

Are you determined to prove what a prat you are for anyone still in
doubt?
You are the troll, I'm the innocent bystander - I really, really, truly,
honestly, absolutely have no idea why this tiny little question has
rattled so many people.

Matthew, you are soo out of line.

If you don't understand why we are a little irritated, then read my response
to your posting in the other thread.
I explained what your problem is.

You are an angry nOOb because things don't work as you expected.


Not angry, and certainly not a n00b. So two strikes against you so far.
And then the CMS is broken, or sucks or whatever.
THAT is the problem.
No - that is not the problem.

My ISP sucks, and is broken and I am angry about that because I don't
have any choice in ISP. There seems to be alot of quality CMS systems so
no need to get agro, just hunt up some alternates.

Three strikes against you so far.
Most of us over here respect the people that put many hard hours into
things like *nuke to complete, and deliver that completely free to the
community.
Yes - and your point being ?
A little respect and patience would suit you better.
I don't remember showing any disrespect, and I did spend several hours
trying to get them to say anything, even an error message.

Five strikes against you now.
I found the PHP-people one of the nicest, most patient guys, and if you
upset some, believe me: you are doing something wrong.
I don't know which PHP-People you are talking about, but apart from 2
people who responded with helpful responses to this thread, most of the
rest have been arrogant, angry bastards toward me with no provocation.
Instead of trying to prove you are right, which you are clearly not, you
better try to learn a little today. A little about computers and PHP, and a
little about your behaviour, which clearly irritates people.
If asking a simple question like alternates irritates you, then I
suggest you stop flaming people, and go and do something you are used to
like fucking your mother.
It irritates the hell out of me, that's for sure.


Well - I have no idea why.
--
Fancy a bowl of soup, love a nice icecream, adore a chocolate cake?
Suggest you re-evaluate your life.
Jul 17 '05 #31

P: n/a
blacklistmaterial.

Don't bother to respond, Metthew, I won't see it anymore.
Jul 17 '05 #32

P: n/a
Matthew Harrison <m.********@craznar.com> writes:
Frank Schummertz wrote:
Matthew Harrison schrieb:
Thanks, bookmarked for 3rd in the queue.

http://www.postnuke.com


Tried that one - doesn't work.


bollmora.skjoldebrand.org

Of course it "works" just because you can't figure it out ....

/M.

--
Martin Skjöldebrand
Family site: http://www.skjoldebrand.org
"Art" site: http://martoni.deviantart.com
Public key available at: http://wwwkeys.pgp.net
Jul 17 '05 #33

P: n/a
I've installed PostNuke about a dozen times.
It has never failed. It always "work".
I think I have magick powers ....

/M.
--
Martin Skjöldebrand
Family site: http://www.skjoldebrand.org
"Art" site: http://martoni.deviantart.com
Public key available at: http://wwwkeys.pgp.net
Jul 17 '05 #34

P: n/a

"Matthew Harrison" <m.********@craznar.com> wrote in message
news:c5*************@ID-211226.news.uni-berlin.de...
Geoff Berrow wrote:
Are you determined to prove what a prat you are for anyone still in
doubt?


You are the troll, I'm the innocent bystander - I really, really, truly,
honestly, absolutely have no idea why this tiny little question has
rattled so many people.


Because ridiculous statements on usenet always start flamewars... and yours
was a ridiculous statement. It had no basis in fact. There is way too much
evidence that all the CMS packages you mentioned do, indeed, work.

- Virgil
Jul 17 '05 #35

P: n/a
"Matthew Harrison" <m.********@craznar.com> wrote in message
news:c5*************@ID-211226.news.uni-berlin.de...
Frank Schummertz wrote:
Matthew Harrison schrieb:


I don't see why so many people are upset about this. If I came on and
said my toaster doesn't work - would people be just as upset ? If I
asked for recommendations on other toasters to buy because the one I had
didn't work - would they get upset ?


Try dropping into the forum where the toaster engineers hang out and claim
that their products don't work.

What you don't seem to get is that you are in here telling the developers
and designers (or those just like them) that their stuff doesn't work. Since
they all know it *does* work, they take a bit of offense at some layman
making claims to the contrary in a relatively public forum. Especially when
the fault is clearly in your configuration/installation.

- Virgil
Jul 17 '05 #36

P: n/a
Matthew Harrison wrote:

I don't see why so many people are upset about this.
If I came on and said my toaster doesn't work - would
people be just as upset?


Because it's rather apparent that you have not followed the directions
already provided. It's possible that one php portal you've tried is
broken. That you have tried several and had the same problem with all of
them strongly implies the problem is not in the software.

bblackmoor
2004-04-07
Jul 17 '05 #37

P: n/a
"Matthew Harrison" <m.********@craznar.com> wrote in message
news:c4*************@ID-211226.news.uni-berlin.de...
Virgil Green wrote:

If you've tried three different CMSs with no success... what make you think the next one will be any better?


I tried 20 or so newsgroup readers before I found one that I liked, I
figured 2 or 3 CMS systems not working isn't a big hurdle.


"didn't work" and "didn't like" are two very different things.
Those you've mentioned can/do work.


Well when there is only 3 lines of install instruction, and it does
nothing (no errors - literally nothing) after that happens - it doesn't
give you much hope.


Those instructions typically expect you to have your webserver, PHP, etc
configured properly first. That is the kind of thing people usually forget
to take care of before diving into their "three lines" of installation
instructions.
They
work on thousands of servers each day.


I'd suspect more than thousands of people know more about hacking PHP
than I do (otherwise I'd write my own).
> Perhaps you should find out *why*
those didn't work.


Why - seems easier to chase up an alternative or two. I've started
evaluating Mambo, and one other person has given me another one to try
out - in addition to another one I have found by asking elsewhere, I'm
way ahead of trying to hack PHP code.


Because the problems that keep one from working are probably going to keep
most of them from working. No one even suggested that you hack PHP code. It
is your configuration that is suspect.

- Virgil
Jul 17 '05 #38

P: n/a
Virgil Green wrote:
I tried 20 or so newsgroup readers before I found one that I liked, I
figured 2 or 3 CMS systems not working isn't a big hurdle.

"didn't work" and "didn't like" are two very different things.


They most certainly are - I was referring to the "didn't work" here.

Thanks for clarifying that for the masses.

--
Fancy a bowl of soup, love a nice icecream, adore a chocolate cake?
Suggest you re-evaluate your life.
Jul 17 '05 #39

P: n/a
"Matthew Harrison" <m.********@craznar.com> wrote in message
news:c5*************@ID-211226.news.uni-berlin.de...
Virgil Green wrote:
I tried 20 or so newsgroup readers before I found one that I liked, I
figured 2 or 3 CMS systems not working isn't a big hurdle.

"didn't work" and "didn't like" are two very different things.


They most certainly are - I was referring to the "didn't work" here.

Thanks for clarifying that for the masses.


You may rest assured that the clarification was strictly for you.

- Virgil
Jul 17 '05 #40

P: n/a
Matthew Harrison wrote:
I'm looking for a content management system that works.

I've tried phpNuke, phpMyWeb and Jetbox so far. I cannot get any of them
to even display the admin screens.


Looks like you managed to get something sorted out in the end, but in case
you're still looking (and for other people) this is an excellent site I
found this morning which has a whole bunch of different open source CMS
systems, e-commerce systems etc written in PHP installed. The databases are
rebuilt every couple of hours so you can go in and play with them to see if
it suits your needs.

http://www.opensourcecms.com/

Chris

--
Chris Hope
The Electric Toolbox Ltd
http://www.electrictoolbox.com/
Jul 17 '05 #41

P: n/a
Virgil Green wrote:
"Matthew Harrison" <m.********@craznar.com> wrote in message
news:c5*************@ID-211226.news.uni-berlin.de...
Virgil Green wrote:
I tried 20 or so newsgroup readers before I found one that I liked, I
figured 2 or 3 CMS systems not working isn't a big hurdle.
"didn't work" and "didn't like" are two very different things.

They most certainly are - I was referring to the "didn't work" here.
Thanks for clarifying that for the masses.

You may rest assured that the clarification was strictly for you.


My sincere apologies on your wasted time, as I needed no clarification.

Thanks however for the apparently unintended result of clarifying for
others.

--
Fancy a bowl of soup, love a nice icecream, adore a chocolate cake?
Suggest you re-evaluate your life.
Jul 17 '05 #42

P: n/a
Chris Hope wrote:
http://www.opensourcecms.com/


Thank you very very much - about 3 times as many there as I could find
myself.

I'm in CMS heaven.

--
Fancy a bowl of soup, love a nice icecream, adore a chocolate cake?
Suggest you re-evaluate your life.
Jul 17 '05 #43

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.