By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
440,262 Members | 1,128 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 440,262 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

PEAR: Is it worth it?

P: n/a
me
Recent articles have got me looking at PEAR again. Because it is not
always available, is it worth getting tied to? After all, if I write
for it and it isn't there, my code won't work.
Jul 17 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
5 Replies


P: n/a
me wrote:
Recent articles have got me looking at PEAR again. Because it is not
always available, is it worth getting tied to? After all, if I write
for it and it isn't there, my code won't work.


It is easy to install PEAR locally for your own scripts even on a shared
host. say you have a subdirectory called PEAR with all PEAR stuff in it.
This means you have to install PEAR manually, but remember that PEAR is
nothing more than a collection of PHP files.

So, even if PEAR isn't available on your shared host, you can install it
manually, and everything works. And YES, it is worth it!

asgeir
Jul 17 '05 #2

P: n/a
Asgeir Frimannsson wrote:

So, even if PEAR isn't available on your shared host, you
can install it manually, and everything works. And YES, it
is worth it!


Very much so. The database abstraction layer alone is a godsend.

bblackmoor
2004-03-18
Jul 17 '05 #3

P: n/a
me wrote:
Recent articles have got me looking at PEAR again. Because it is not
always available, is it worth getting tied to? After all, if I write
for it and it isn't there, my code won't work.


It will be there if you put it there, which is basically the same
operation as with any other php script. So don't care about this, and
just use it if it helps. Now is it worth 'getting tied to' it, only you
can answer.

My experience is that I first dismissed it, then found myself
reinventing the wheel. PEAR provides most of the building blocks for
most of the apps you could want to write in PHP.

Bruno

Jul 17 '05 #4

P: n/a
Brandon Blackmoor wrote:
Asgeir Frimannsson wrote:

So, even if PEAR isn't available on your shared host, you

> can install it manually, and everything works. And YES, it
> is worth it!


Very much so. The database abstraction layer alone is a godsend.


Hmm... Havent tried it, but sounds interesting.
Do you have a link to some info?

Mvh
Thomas Damgaard
Jul 17 '05 #5

P: n/a

Thomas Damgaard Nielsen wrote:
Brandon Blackmoor wrote:
Asgeir Frimannsson wrote:

So, even if PEAR isn't available on your shared host, you


> can install it manually, and everything works. And YES, it
> is worth it!


Very much so. The database abstraction layer alone is a godsend.

Hmm... Havent tried it, but sounds interesting.
Do you have a link to some info?


Search google for 'installing pear manually' or 'installing pear shared
host' or something...

Anyway, here's the easy way of doing it:
<?php

// assuming you have a directory called PEAR
// in your current directory with all pear
// packages unzipped there...
ini_set("include_path", 'PEAR/' . PATH_SEPARATOR . ini_get("include_path"));

require_once "PEAR.php";
require_once 'DB.php';

// then we're ready to rock
?>

asgeir
Jul 17 '05 #6

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.