468,315 Members | 1,404 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 468,315 developers. It's quick & easy.

Zend framework and Rasmus' "The no-framework PHP MVC framework"

The Zend framework preview release is out
<http://framework.zend.com/> and I don't know why such PEAR like (yet
another) framework is needed.

At the same time, Rasmus' article
<http://toys.lerdorf.com/archives/38-The-no-framework-PHP-MVC-framework.html>
is quite contrary to Zend's move (if I'm right).

What you guys think?

--
<?php echo 'Just another PHP saint'; ?>
Email: rrjanbiah-at-Y!com Blog: http://rajeshanbiah.blogspot.com/

Mar 7 '06 #1
3 2874
NC
R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah wrote:

The Zend framework preview release is out
<http://framework.zend.com/> and I don't know why such
PEAR like (yet another) framework is needed.
There are two reaons I can think of:

1. To make a clean break with PHP 4, and
2. To get rid of multiple library dependencies.

It's also possible that their framework could eventually morph into an
addition to the commercial Zend Platform...
At the same time, Rasmus' article
<http://toys.lerdorf.com/archives/38-The-no-framework-PHP-MVC-framework.html>
is quite contrary to Zend's move (if I'm right).


To an extent... Rasmus, I think, is trying to create something that
could potentially be used by a non-programmer (e.g., a domain expert).
Hence, emphasis on simplicity, usability, and performance. The Zend
team seems to go out of their way to appease programmers with C++ and
Java backgrounds. So they are all into patterns, abstractions,
tooling, etc.

Cheers,
NC

Mar 7 '06 #2
NC wrote:
R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah wrote:

The Zend framework preview release is out
<http://framework.zend.com/> and I don't know why such
PEAR like (yet another) framework is needed.


There are two reaons I can think of:

1. To make a clean break with PHP 4, and
2. To get rid of multiple library dependencies.

It's also possible that their framework could eventually morph into an
addition to the commercial Zend Platform...

<snip>

Yup, that might be the reason. But, as far I have seen it's still
looks like a library much similar to PEAR and I guess, it would kill
PEAR.

FWIW, companies migrating to PHP will have more headache now:
whether to adopt framework and if which one.

--
<?php echo 'Just another PHP saint'; ?>
Email: rrjanbiah-at-Y!com Blog: http://rajeshanbiah.blogspot.com/

Mar 8 '06 #3
NC
R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah wrote:

FWIW, companies migrating to PHP will have more headache now:
whether to adopt framework and if which one.


Nah... The disorganized will decide to make no decision (i.e., use
whatever the current resident development guru thinks is cool this
year); the better-organized will invest in a well-documented
proprietary framework or foundation library.

Cheers,
NC

Mar 8 '06 #4

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

2 posts views Thread by Ira Baxter | last post: by
9 posts views Thread by Ximo | last post: by
2 posts views Thread by Todd Anderson | last post: by
2 posts views Thread by Andreas Prilop | last post: by
134 posts views Thread by James A. Donald | last post: by
1 post views Thread by Mats Mohlin | last post: by
1 post views Thread by Bruce W...1 | last post: by
2 posts views Thread by edgarjang | last post: by
reply views Thread by NPC403 | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.