471,578 Members | 1,306 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post +

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 471,578 software developers and data experts.

HELP: need advanced search template -- I know nothing about programming.

I know nothing about programming but I am building a website (written
with php) that allow people post some info.

Is there a site I can get some templates or php scripts for an advanced
search function?

The Advanced Search function shall able to search any posted info by a
postal code/zip code within certain kms and be able to search by map by
clicking to US/Canada map to get to state, then to cities than to
towns....

thanks much in advance.
--
PLEASE NOTE: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi is a
SELF-MODERATED newsgroup. aa.net and boutell.com are
NOT the originators of the articles and are NOT responsible
for their content.

HOW TO POST to comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi:
http://www.thinkspot.net/ciwac/howtopost.html
Jul 17 '05 #1
7 1986
This site has a pretty good search template: http://216.239.57.99/
Just go to that site, and view the source code of the page (Tools -
View Source), and then copy and past it into your PHP web app. Will
work like a charm.

;)
--
PLEASE NOTE: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi is a
SELF-MODERATED newsgroup. aa.net and boutell.com are
NOT the originators of the articles and are NOT responsible
for their content.

HOW TO POST to comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi:
http://www.thinkspot.net/ciwac/howtopost.html
Jul 17 '05 #2
you gave me the google.com site. I am not asking for jokes,

kj*****@insurancejournal.com wrote:
This site has a pretty good search template: http://216.239.57.99/
Just go to that site, and view the source code of the page (Tools -
View Source), and then copy and past it into your PHP web app. Will
work like a charm.

;)
--
PLEASE NOTE: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi is a
SELF-MODERATED newsgroup. aa.net and boutell.com are
NOT the originators of the articles and are NOT responsible
for their content.

HOW TO POST to comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi:
http://www.thinkspot.net/ciwac/howtopost.html

--
PLEASE NOTE: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi is a
SELF-MODERATED newsgroup. aa.net and boutell.com are
NOT the originators of the articles and are NOT responsible
for their content.

HOW TO POST to comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi:
http://www.thinkspot.net/ciwac/howtopost.html
Jul 17 '05 #3
In article <11*********************@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>,
no********@yahoo.ca wrote:
you gave me the google.com site. I am not asking for jokes,

kj*****@insurancejournal.com wrote:
This site has a pretty good search template: http://216.239.57.99/
Just go to that site, and view the source code of the page (Tools -
View Source), and then copy and past it into your PHP web app. Will
work like a charm.

;)


Well then, I guess you'll have to hire someone since you don't program.

--
DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee...


--
PLEASE NOTE: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi is a
SELF-MODERATED newsgroup. aa.net and boutell.com are
NOT the originators of the articles and are NOT responsible
for their content.

HOW TO POST to comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi:
http://www.thinkspot.net/ciwac/howtopost.html
Jul 17 '05 #4
no********@yahoo.ca wrote:
: I know nothing about programming but I am building a website (written
: with php) that allow people post some info.

: Is there a site I can get some templates or php scripts for an advanced
: search function?

: The Advanced Search function shall able to search any posted info by a
: postal code/zip code within certain kms and be able to search by map by
: clicking to US/Canada map to get to state, then to cities than to
: towns....

: thanks much in advance.
google: free search engine source code

But also notice that if your site is visible then google is already
searching it. So just learn about the google searching instead. Point
people at google - Google will find your data and send them back to your
site.

Google has details at (can you guess) google.com, use google searching to
find the details on using google searching.

--

This space not for rent.

--
PLEASE NOTE: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi is a
SELF-MODERATED newsgroup. aa.net and boutell.com are
NOT the originators of the articles and are NOT responsible
for their content.

HOW TO POST to comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi:
http://www.thinkspot.net/ciwac/howtopost.html
Jul 17 '05 #5
yeah, i'm pretty cheap - only $40 / hour. ;)
--
PLEASE NOTE: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi is a
SELF-MODERATED newsgroup. aa.net and boutell.com are
NOT the originators of the articles and are NOT responsible
for their content.

HOW TO POST to comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi:
http://www.thinkspot.net/ciwac/howtopost.html
Jul 17 '05 #6
<no********@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
news:11**********************@g44g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
I know nothing about programming but I am building a website (written
with php) that allow people post some info.

Is there a site I can get some templates or php scripts for an advanced
search function?

Yes. No joking, try www.google.com, and follow the advice given by the first
response you received.

Note: A basic Google search gives you most of the info you need, e.g., try a
Google search with "pizza 19104" for pizza in West Philadelphia, PA, USA.
The Advanced Search function shall able to search any posted info by a
postal code/zip code within certain kms and be able to search by map by
clicking to US/Canada map to get to state, then to cities than to
towns....


local.google.com can do this for you. It adds a map and search radius.

maps.google.com may have what you seek, re: map capabilities.
--
Bill Segraves
--
PLEASE NOTE: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi is a
SELF-MODERATED newsgroup. aa.net and boutell.com are
NOT the originators of the articles and are NOT responsible
for their content.

HOW TO POST to comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi:
http://www.thinkspot.net/ciwac/howtopost.html
Jul 17 '05 #7
actually, if you're going to use a google site search instead of a
php-mysql solution, you should check out google's customized search
(http://www.google.com/services/siteflavored.html).

You can give it a color scheme and maybe a header and footer (or logo),
and it will only search pages within your domain. Also, I think you
can get revenue from clicks to ads placed on search results pages.
--
PLEASE NOTE: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi is a
SELF-MODERATED newsgroup. aa.net and boutell.com are
NOT the originators of the articles and are NOT responsible
for their content.

HOW TO POST to comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi:
http://www.thinkspot.net/ciwac/howtopost.html
Jul 17 '05 #8

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

20 posts views Thread by titi | last post: by
2 posts views Thread by dinks | last post: by
9 posts views Thread by YZK | last post: by
6 posts views Thread by dajava | last post: by
reply views Thread by XIAOLAOHU | last post: by
reply views Thread by leo001 | last post: by
1 post views Thread by lumer26 | last post: by

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.