472,961 Members | 1,529 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 472,961 software developers and data experts.

Difference between file version and assembly versions

In VS.2005 using VB.NET

There are two versions on every project, The Assembly Version
and the File Version.

Why are there two different versions?

As far as I can tell, there is not need for two versions.

The assembly is the file, isn't it?

Thanks in Advance,

Laurence
Aug 14 '06 #1
5 12053
Laurence,

Can you explain this more, because I am as well using VBNet and I can me not
remember that I have ever heard or read about two differen versions as you
wrote the File Version and an Assembly Version.

There is an Assembly file (dll or exe) which contains as file File Info and
in it Assembly info.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...rsiontopic.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...versioning.asp

Is this maybe what you mean,

Cor
"Laurence" <So*******@Something.comschreef in bericht
news:um**************@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
In VS.2005 using VB.NET

There are two versions on every project, The Assembly Version
and the File Version.

Why are there two different versions?

As far as I can tell, there is not need for two versions.

The assembly is the file, isn't it?

Thanks in Advance,

Laurence

Aug 14 '06 #2
If you right click on a project in the IDE,
select properties, click on the application tab,
and press the assembly information button,
you will see entries for the assembly version and the file version,
which can be set independently.

I wondered why are there two types of versions?
What is each one used for?

Thanks in Advance,

Laurence

Cor Ligthert [MVP] wrote:
Laurence,

Can you explain this more, because I am as well using VBNet and I can me not
remember that I have ever heard or read about two differen versions as you
wrote the File Version and an Assembly Version.

There is an Assembly file (dll or exe) which contains as file File Info and
in it Assembly info.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...rsiontopic.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...versioning.asp

Is this maybe what you mean,

Cor
"Laurence" <So*******@Something.comschreef in bericht
news:um**************@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>In VS.2005 using VB.NET

There are two versions on every project, The Assembly Version
and the File Version.

Why are there two different versions?

As far as I can tell, there is not need for two versions.

The assembly is the file, isn't it?

Thanks in Advance,

Laurence

Aug 14 '06 #3
Laurence,

Did you have a look at the links I included in my reply.

Cor

"Laurence" <So*******@Something.comschreef in bericht
news:ee******************@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
If you right click on a project in the IDE,
select properties, click on the application tab,
and press the assembly information button,
you will see entries for the assembly version and the file version,
which can be set independently.

I wondered why are there two types of versions?
What is each one used for?

Thanks in Advance,

Laurence

Cor Ligthert [MVP] wrote:
>Laurence,

Can you explain this more, because I am as well using VBNet and I can me
not remember that I have ever heard or read about two differen versions
as you wrote the File Version and an Assembly Version.

There is an Assembly file (dll or exe) which contains as file File Info
and in it Assembly info.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...rsiontopic.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...versioning.asp

Is this maybe what you mean,

Cor
"Laurence" <So*******@Something.comschreef in bericht
news:um**************@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>In VS.2005 using VB.NET

There are two versions on every project, The Assembly Version
and the File Version.

Why are there two different versions?

As far as I can tell, there is not need for two versions.

The assembly is the file, isn't it?

Thanks in Advance,

Laurence
Aug 14 '06 #4
Yes, I did, It seems that the file version is ignored,
while the assembly version is used by the .NET Framework.

But we are probably going to use Xcopy to deploy our applications
so we don't have version problems. Each app will have in it's own
folder the proper versions of all of the components it needs.

Since we are going to do our own deployment, write a program
to check the version numbers on the client machine, with the
version number on the current release, and then Xcopy the current version
down to the client machine.

I guess we could use the assembly version to check if the version has
changed, or just use the file version. Since I only know of a way
to get the file version of a file from another program, we will have to
use the file version.

I was just concerned that the assembly version was necessary for something else.

Laurence

Cor Ligthert [MVP] wrote:
Laurence,

Did you have a look at the links I included in my reply.

Cor

"Laurence" <So*******@Something.comschreef in bericht
news:ee******************@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>If you right click on a project in the IDE,
select properties, click on the application tab,
and press the assembly information button,
you will see entries for the assembly version and the file version,
which can be set independently.

I wondered why are there two types of versions?
What is each one used for?

Thanks in Advance,

Laurence

Cor Ligthert [MVP] wrote:
>>Laurence,

Can you explain this more, because I am as well using VBNet and I can me
not remember that I have ever heard or read about two differen versions
as you wrote the File Version and an Assembly Version.

There is an Assembly file (dll or exe) which contains as file File Info
and in it Assembly info.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...rsiontopic.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...versioning.asp

Is this maybe what you mean,

Cor
"Laurence" <So*******@Something.comschreef in bericht
news:um**************@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
In VS.2005 using VB.NET

There are two versions on every project, The Assembly Version
and the File Version.

Why are there two different versions?

As far as I can tell, there is not need for two versions.

The assembly is the file, isn't it?

Thanks in Advance,

Laurence
Aug 14 '06 #5

Laurence wrote:
I was just concerned that the assembly version was necessary for something else.
If the assembly is strongly named then the version becomes part of the
strong name. There's way too much to explain about this in one post
though. Just know that the assembly version is important, especially
when using strongly named assemblies. Some developers may choose to
version their software using both methods. For example, they may
increment the file version and leave the assembly version unchanged for
service packs.

Brian

Aug 15 '06 #6

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

3
by: Michael BÝcker-Larsen | last post by:
Hi I'v been stuck on this problem for ages now. I have found that I'm not the only one with this problem, by looking through the different newsgroups. Hope you can help me! I know there is a...
3
by: Jim | last post by:
Hi, I have an assembly and it's satellite in my GAC. I have referenced the DLLs in my project (from the same location where I added it to the GAC). CopyLocal is set false. When I run the...
1
by: guxu | last post by:
I have a VB application referencing some C# dlls. Got new set of C# dll assemblies, now kept getting errors when I run my VB application. There were errors like assmbly reference mismatch. Also...
2
by: antonyliu2002 | last post by:
I am testing AJAX. I've downloaded the AJAX Extension and the CTP December package and installed on BOTH my development machine and the production server. Then I created a very very simple web...
6
by: Zytan | last post by:
In the Assembly Information, you can set the assembly version and the file version. What is the difference between the two? The documentation is not exactly helpful in this area. I had the...
2
by: Tham | last post by:
Hi I have two assemblies with the same name (e.g MyData.dll) Both assemblies are strong name and have different version (one is 1.0.0.1 and the other is 1.0.0.2) There are some applications...
1
by: Perry Langla | last post by:
Hi, I ran across some information about redirecting assembly version. It said you can use a redirect statement in the app.config file. Could someone please help me with this redirect statement....
4
by: Bob Altman | last post by:
Hi all, I have a C++/CLI project (VS 2005) that produces a DLL that exports C bindings. Internally, this DLL contains routines compiled with /clr. I notice that my DLL doesn't have a version...
0
by: =?Utf-8?B?aUhhdkFRdWVzdGlvbg==?= | last post by:
Thank U Sir, It works ::)) Now I have one more issue. I have downloaded Ajax frame work and in the toolbox I am getting AJAX Extention in which i find the Script manager. Bit,in the design...
0
by: lllomh | last post by:
Define the method first this.state = { buttonBackgroundColor: 'green', isBlinking: false, // A new status is added to identify whether the button is blinking or not } autoStart=()=>{
2
by: DJRhino | last post by:
Was curious if anyone else was having this same issue or not.... I was just Up/Down graded to windows 11 and now my access combo boxes are not acting right. With win 10 I could start typing...
2
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 4 Oct 2023 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing at about 19:15 (7.15PM) The start time is equivalent to 19:00 (7PM) in Central...
2
by: giovanniandrean | last post by:
The energy model is structured as follows and uses excel sheets to give input data: 1-Utility.py contains all the functions needed to calculate the variables and other minor things (mentions...
4
NeoPa
by: NeoPa | last post by:
Hello everyone. I find myself stuck trying to find the VBA way to get Access to create a PDF of the currently-selected (and open) object (Form or Report). I know it can be done by selecting :...
3
NeoPa
by: NeoPa | last post by:
Introduction For this article I'll be using a very simple database which has Form (clsForm) & Report (clsReport) classes that simply handle making the calling Form invisible until the Form, or all...
1
by: Teri B | last post by:
Hi, I have created a sub-form Roles. In my course form the user selects the roles assigned to the course. 0ne-to-many. One course many roles. Then I created a report based on the Course form and...
0
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 1 Nov 2023 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC) and finishing at about 19:15 (7.15PM) Please note that the UK and Europe revert to winter time on...
2
by: GKJR | last post by:
Does anyone have a recommendation to build a standalone application to replace an Access database? I have my bookkeeping software I developed in Access that I would like to make available to other...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.