By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
431,795 Members | 1,216 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 431,795 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

syntax error near unexpected token `<bigaf>' - AIX C++ Application Porting from 32 bit to 64 bit

P: n/a
Hi,

Currently, we are porting C++ applications from 32 bit to 64 bit on AIX
platform. (The current version of AIX is 5.3 and xlC verison is 8.0).
We are able to compile the applications by including the -q64 option in
xlC compiler. And we are able to link all these libraries to one of
the main applications and generate an executable. SKLoader. But, when
we try to run this main executable, we are getting the following
errors:

../SKLoader: syntax error near unexpected token `<bigaf>'
../SKLoader: ./SKLoader: line 1: `<bigaf>'

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Nikhil

Dec 1 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
5 Replies


P: n/a

r.*******@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,

Currently, we are porting C++ applications from 32 bit to 64 bit on AIX
platform. (The current version of AIX is 5.3 and xlC verison is 8.0).
We are able to compile the applications by including the -q64 option in
xlC compiler. And we are able to link all these libraries to one of
the main applications and generate an executable. SKLoader. But, when
we try to run this main executable, we are getting the following
errors:

./SKLoader: syntax error near unexpected token `<bigaf>'
./SKLoader: ./SKLoader: line 1: `<bigaf>'

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Nikhil


You've built an executable, so clearly your C++ code is compileable.
The only other question that people here will be able to answer is "why
doesn't my program do what I think it should?" To answer that, people
will still need to see the C++ code that is misbehaving, along with
descriptions of what happens and what you think should happen.

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lit...t.html#faq-5.8

Gavin Deane

Dec 1 '05 #2

P: n/a
Hi,

Before making the changes into the Makefiles in order to make to
portable 64 bit, all the modules worked perfectly in 32 bit mode. The
error related to (syntax error near unexpected token `<bigaf>') started
occuring when I tried to run the application in 64 bit mode.

Thanks,
-Nikhil
deane_ga...@hotmail.com wrote:
r.*******@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,

Currently, we are porting C++ applications from 32 bit to 64 bit on AIX
platform. (The current version of AIX is 5.3 and xlC verison is 8.0).
We are able to compile the applications by including the -q64 option in
xlC compiler. And we are able to link all these libraries to one of
the main applications and generate an executable. SKLoader. But, when
we try to run this main executable, we are getting the following
errors:

./SKLoader: syntax error near unexpected token `<bigaf>'
./SKLoader: ./SKLoader: line 1: `<bigaf>'

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Nikhil


You've built an executable, so clearly your C++ code is compileable.
The only other question that people here will be able to answer is "why
doesn't my program do what I think it should?" To answer that, people
will still need to see the C++ code that is misbehaving, along with
descriptions of what happens and what you think should happen.

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lit...t.html#faq-5.8

Gavin Deane


Dec 1 '05 #3

P: n/a
Please don't top-post - rearranged
r.*******@gmail.com wrote:
deane_ga...@hotmail.com wrote:
r.*******@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,

Currently, we are porting C++ applications from 32 bit to 64 bit on AIX
platform. (The current version of AIX is 5.3 and xlC verison is 8.0).
We are able to compile the applications by including the -q64 option in
xlC compiler. And we are able to link all these libraries to one of
the main applications and generate an executable. SKLoader. But, when
we try to run this main executable, we are getting the following
errors:

./SKLoader: syntax error near unexpected token `<bigaf>'
./SKLoader: ./SKLoader: line 1: `<bigaf>'

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Nikhil


You've built an executable, so clearly your C++ code is compileable.
The only other question that people here will be able to answer is "why
doesn't my program do what I think it should?" To answer that, people
will still need to see the C++ code that is misbehaving, along with
descriptions of what happens and what you think should happen.

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lit...t.html#faq-5.8

Gavin Deane

Hi,

Before making the changes into the Makefiles in order to make to
portable 64 bit, all the modules worked perfectly in 32 bit mode. The
error related to (syntax error near unexpected token `<bigaf>') started
occuring when I tried to run the application in 64 bit mode.


Where does <bigaf> come from and what is your program trying to do when
it reports a syntax error? Is <bigaf> in a C++ source code file you are
trying to compile? Presumably not, since you are compiling
successfully. Is it in a file your program opens, reads and parses? If
so, people here might be able to help if you follow the guidelines for
posting code given in the FAQ I posted a link to. You would need to
show the C++ code that is reporting a syntax error and the input it
reported a syntax error in.

If you can't formulate a C++ language question then you'll have to ask
a newsgroup for your compiler or platform.

Gavin Deane

Dec 1 '05 #4

P: n/a
Hi,

The <bigaf> is coming from static libraries which we are linking to the
main application. These static libraries were developed by us and
worked excellent in the 32 bit mode. And we are able to generate the
static libraries(.a files) by making the modification to the Makefiles
in order to port the application to 64 bit. And we are able to link all
these libraries to one of the main applications and generate an
executable. SKLoader. But, when we try to run this main executable, we
are getting the following errors:

../SKLoader: syntax error near unexpected token `<bigaf>'
../SKLoader: ./SKLoader: line 1: `<bigaf>'

We even do not know why <bigaf> is coming from static libraries? All we
know is that bigaf is the file format used by ar (archive) command.
This is the command which we are using inside Makefile in order to
generate the main executables and static libraries.

Thanks,
-Nikhil
de*********@hotmail.com wrote:
Please don't top-post - rearranged
r.*******@gmail.com wrote:
deane_ga...@hotmail.com wrote:
r.*******@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently, we are porting C++ applications from 32 bit to 64 bit on AIX
> platform. (The current version of AIX is 5.3 and xlC verison is 8.0).
> We are able to compile the applications by including the -q64 option in
> xlC compiler. And we are able to link all these libraries to one of
> the main applications and generate an executable. SKLoader. But, when
> we try to run this main executable, we are getting the following
> errors:
>
> ./SKLoader: syntax error near unexpected token `<bigaf>'
> ./SKLoader: ./SKLoader: line 1: `<bigaf>'
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> -Nikhil

You've built an executable, so clearly your C++ code is compileable.
The only other question that people here will be able to answer is "why
doesn't my program do what I think it should?" To answer that, people
will still need to see the C++ code that is misbehaving, along with
descriptions of what happens and what you think should happen.

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lit...t.html#faq-5.8

Gavin Deane

Hi,

Before making the changes into the Makefiles in order to make to
portable 64 bit, all the modules worked perfectly in 32 bit mode. The
error related to (syntax error near unexpected token `<bigaf>') started
occuring when I tried to run the application in 64 bit mode.


Where does <bigaf> come from and what is your program trying to do when
it reports a syntax error? Is <bigaf> in a C++ source code file you are
trying to compile? Presumably not, since you are compiling
successfully. Is it in a file your program opens, reads and parses? If
so, people here might be able to help if you follow the guidelines for
posting code given in the FAQ I posted a link to. You would need to
show the C++ code that is reporting a syntax error and the input it
reported a syntax error in.

If you can't formulate a C++ language question then you'll have to ask
a newsgroup for your compiler or platform.

Gavin Deane


Dec 1 '05 #5

P: n/a

r.*******@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,

The <bigaf> is coming from static libraries which we are linking to the
main application. These static libraries were developed by us and
worked excellent in the 32 bit mode. And we are able to generate the
static libraries(.a files) by making the modification to the Makefiles
in order to port the application to 64 bit. And we are able to link all
these libraries to one of the main applications and generate an
executable. SKLoader. But, when we try to run this main executable, we
are getting the following errors:

./SKLoader: syntax error near unexpected token `<bigaf>'
./SKLoader: ./SKLoader: line 1: `<bigaf>'

We even do not know why <bigaf> is coming from static libraries? All we
know is that bigaf is the file format used by ar (archive) command.
This is the command which we are using inside Makefile in order to
generate the main executables and static libraries.


You are still top-posting. Please put your reply AFTER the message you
are replying to, or interleaved if you are commenting on particular
points.

What you've got isn't a C++ language question topical here as defined
by

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lit...t.html#faq-5.9

You'll need to ask a newsgroup that deals with your particular compiler
and its 64 bit behavior

Gavin Deane

Dec 1 '05 #6

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.