473,544 Members | 550 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Emacs CC Mode's auto-newline facility: INFORMAL SURVEY

[Followup-To: gnu.emacs.help. Add your own group if you wish.]

To all those who use (X)Emacs's CC Mode to edit C, C++, Java,
Objective-C, Pike, AWK or IDL:

To help direct the development of CC Mode, it would be useful to find out
how people use the auto-newline "minor mode" facility. If you could
spare a little time, would you answer these questions, please:

o Do you program with auto-newline switched on (e.g. do you get NLs
inserted automatically after typing a `;' or `{')?
o Did you configure this auto-newline setting yourself, and if not, are
you happy with it?
o Are you aware of the key binding C-c C-a to toggle this mode on and
off?
o How often do you use C-c C-a (or even C-c C-t) to toggle auto-newline
mode?
o In which language(s) (C, C++, ....) do you program in (X)Emacs?

Further pertinent comments are, of course, welcome. Thanks in advance
for your time.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aa**@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter
(like "aa"), remove half of them (leaving, say, "a").

Nov 14 '05 #1
9 2494
[Followup-To: set to gnu.emacs.help once again]

In gnu.emacs.help Alan Mackenzie <ac*@muc.de> wrote:
To help direct the development of CC Mode, it would be useful to find
out how people use the auto-newline "minor mode" facility. If you
could spare a little time, would you answer these questions, please:
A big thank you to all who responded, including another 7 who answered me
by email.

OK: Here are the results (Sometimes with a little necessary
interpretation) , with my comments.
o Do you program with auto-newline switched on (e.g. do you get NLs
inserted automatically after typing a `;' or `{')? Yes: 13
No: 6
Wow! Lots of people use auto-newline. Like some respondents, I can't
stand it. It shows that we need it, and it needs to be optional.
o Did you configure this auto-newline setting yourself, and if not, are
you happy with it? Yes: 11
No: 4 No/Yes: 3
No/No: 0
Dumb double question there. Sorry.
o Are you aware of the key binding C-c C-a to toggle this mode on and
off? Yes: 6
No: 13
I counted someone who said "No, but I use the menu item" as a yes.
o How often do you use C-c C-a (or even C-c C-t) to toggle auto-newline
mode? Frequently:
Seldomly: 4
Never: 14
Not a popular toggle. It would seem that most people either definitely
want auto-newline or definitely don't want it. Very few seem to want to
toggle it whilst editing; maybe because most people don't know it
exists.
o In which language(s) (C, C++, ....) do you program in (X)Emacs?

C: 14
C++: 14
Objective-C: 2
Java: 7
Pike: 0
IDL: 1
AWK: 0
Most (but not all) C hackers are also C++ hackers. It's good to see that
Objective-C and IDL Modes are actually used. But where are the Pikers and
Awkers? (We know that there's _at least_ one of each ;-).

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aa**@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter
(like "aa"), remove half of them (leaving, say, "a").

Nov 14 '05 #2
On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 16:42:08 +0000, Alan Mackenzie
<ac*@muc.de> wrote:
[Followup-To: set to gnu.emacs.help once again]
Sorry, I've overridden it because I don't get that group...
Most (but not all) C hackers are also C++ hackers. It's good to see that
Objective-C and IDL Modes are actually used. But where are the Pikers and
Awkers? (We know that there's _at least_ one of each ;-).


I use C, C++ and Awk (I've never heard of Pike), but I don't use emacs
<g>. I use Vim, and Vim's C mode works fine for Awk and C++ as well.
Perhaps all the other Awk writers don't use emacs either <g>...

Chris C
Nov 14 '05 #3
In comp.lang.awk Chris Croughton <ch***@keristor .net> wrote:
On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 16:42:08 +0000, Alan Mackenzie
<ac*@muc.de> wrote:
[Followup-To: set to gnu.emacs.help once again] Sorry, I've overridden it because I don't get that group...
No problem! But without the Fup-To:, I'd have been getting hassle from 8
groups' worth of netcops. I've left comp.lang.awk in because I'm not
reading comp.lang.c at the moment.
Most (but not all) C hackers are also C++ hackers. It's good to see
that Objective-C and IDL Modes are actually used. But where are the
Pikers and Awkers? (We know that there's _at least_ one of each ;-).

I use C, C++ and Awk (I've never heard of Pike) .....
To quote from the pertinent Manual, "A C-like scripting language with its
roots in the LPC language used in some MUD engines. See
`http://pike.ida.liu.se/'". I've never seen any either, though it looks
like it's got some fairly sophisticated syntax.
...., but I don't use emacs <g>. I use Vim, and Vim's C mode works
fine for Awk and C++ as well. Perhaps all the other Awk writers don't
use emacs either <g>...
The big reason could be that a properly working AWK Mode hasn't yet been
incorporated into a main version of GNU Emacs.

Vim, you say. Hmm. There was a remark here (comp.lang.awk) recently
that Vim's syntax highlighting fails on this monstrosity:

{print a /(b+1)/ c, /(b+1)/, a (/b+1/) c}
1 2 3 4 5 6

.. Emacs's highlighting, by contrast, correctly highlights slashes 1 and
2 as division signs, and (3 4) and (5 6) as two pairs of regexp
delimiters. It also paints "a (" bright red, to warn that you've
possibly committed the syntax error of putting an erroneous space before
the l-paren of a non-built-in function call.
Chris C


--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aa**@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter
(like "aa"), remove half of them (leaving, say, "a").

Nov 14 '05 #4
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:05:17 +0000, Alan Mackenzie <ac*@muc.de> wrote:
In comp.lang.awk Chris Croughton <ch***@keristor .net> wrote:
On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 16:42:08 +0000, Alan Mackenzie
<ac*@muc.de> wrote:

[Followup-To: set to gnu.emacs.help once again]

Sorry, I've overridden it because I don't get that group...


No problem! But without the Fup-To:, I'd have been getting hassle from 8
groups' worth of netcops. I've left comp.lang.awk in because I'm not
reading comp.lang.c at the moment.


But why did you leave comp.lang.c in?
Is it really that much trouble for the OP to subscribe to the proper
group?

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
re************* ***********@att .net
Nov 14 '05 #5
[Followup-To: _not_ set]

Alan Balmer <al******@att.n et> wrote on Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:59:29 -0700:
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:05:17 +0000, Alan Mackenzie <ac*@muc.de> wrote:
In comp.lang.awk Chris Croughton <ch***@keristor .net> wrote:
On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 16:42:08 +0000, Alan Mackenzie
<ac*@muc.de> wrote: [Followup-To: set to gnu.emacs.help once again] Sorry, I've overridden it because I don't get that group...
No problem! But without the Fup-To:, I'd have been getting hassle from
8 groups' worth of netcops. I've left comp.lang.awk in because I'm not
reading comp.lang.c at the moment.

But why did you leave comp.lang.c in?
That's seems to be the "home" group of whom I'm replying to.
comp.lang.awk is the group for which the current theme is most on topic.
Is it really that much trouble for the OP to subscribe to the proper
group?
For whatever values of "OP" and "proper". But you've certainly given
point to my point about the netcops. ;-)

Have a great day!
--
Al Balmer


--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aa**@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter
(like "aa"), remove half of them (leaving, say, "a").

Nov 14 '05 #6
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:05:17 +0000, Alan Mackenzie
<ac*@muc.de> wrote:
In comp.lang.awk Chris Croughton <ch***@keristor .net> wrote:
On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 16:42:08 +0000, Alan Mackenzie
<ac*@muc.de> wrote:
[Followup-To: set to gnu.emacs.help once again]
Sorry, I've overridden it because I don't get that group...


No problem! But without the Fup-To:, I'd have been getting hassle from 8
groups' worth of netcops. I've left comp.lang.awk in because I'm not
reading comp.lang.c at the moment.


Fair enough. It wasn't a complaint, I was just mentioning why I did it.
I probably should subscribe to comp.lang.awk.. .
I use C, C++ and Awk (I've never heard of Pike) .....


To quote from the pertinent Manual, "A C-like scripting language with its
roots in the LPC language used in some MUD engines. See
`http://pike.ida.liu.se/'". I've never seen any either, though it looks
like it's got some fairly sophisticated syntax.


I'll look for that...
...., but I don't use emacs <g>. I use Vim, and Vim's C mode works
fine for Awk and C++ as well. Perhaps all the other Awk writers don't
use emacs either <g>...


The big reason could be that a properly working AWK Mode hasn't yet been
incorporated into a main version of GNU Emacs.


Could be <g>. I'm not getting into editor wars (de gustibus non
disputandem est!), I just don't like emacs.
Vim, you say. Hmm. There was a remark here (comp.lang.awk) recently
that Vim's syntax highlighting fails on this monstrosity:

{print a /(b+1)/ c, /(b+1)/, a (/b+1/) c}
1 2 3 4 5 6

. Emacs's highlighting, by contrast, correctly highlights slashes 1 and
2 as division signs, and (3 4) and (5 6) as two pairs of regexp
delimiters. It also paints "a (" bright red, to warn that you've
possibly committed the syntax error of putting an erroneous space before
the l-paren of a non-built-in function call.


Ah, yes, Vim marks the first two as a regexp. I wonder if I can do
something about that...

I don't know that I'd want the "a (" marked, because it's not an error
in this case.

Followups now to comp.lang.awk where it's on-topic...

Chris C
Nov 14 '05 #7
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:59:29 -0700, Alan Balmer
<al******@att.n et> wrote:
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:05:17 +0000, Alan Mackenzie <ac*@muc.de> wrote:
In comp.lang.awk Chris Croughton <ch***@keristor .net> wrote:
On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 16:42:08 +0000, Alan Mackenzie
<ac*@muc.de> wrote:
[Followup-To: set to gnu.emacs.help once again]

Sorry, I've overridden it because I don't get that group...


No problem! But without the Fup-To:, I'd have been getting hassle from 8
groups' worth of netcops. I've left comp.lang.awk in because I'm not
reading comp.lang.c at the moment.


But why did you leave comp.lang.c in?


I don't know which group you're reading (you didn't set followups), but
if he hadn't left comp.lang.c in I wouldn't have seen his reply because
I wasn't subscribed to either of the other likely groups (comp.lang.awk
or the emacs one).
Is it really that much trouble for the OP to subscribe to the proper
group?


If I'd known which "proper group" to subscribe to, but how would I know
that until he replied in a group which I do read? I'm not going to read
every newsgroup in existance just in case the reply might be there.

Now that I know he is using comp.lang.awk I'm subscribed here (and
followups are set to comp.lang.awk as well), because it could be of
interest (the emacs one isn't for me).

Chris C
Nov 14 '05 #8
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 07:08:02 +0000, Alan Mackenzie <ac*@muc.de> wrote:
Is it really that much trouble for the OP to subscribe to the proper
group?


For whatever values of "OP" and "proper". But you've certainly given
point to my point about the netcops. ;-)


Just as you illustrate the characteristics of clueless posters. We
need a bad example now and then.

I really is little trouble, especially when there are archives such as
Google, to ascertain the topicality of a newsgroup before posting
there.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
re************* ***********@att .net
Nov 14 '05 #9
[fu-t set -- will it survive?]

in comp.lang.c i read:
On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 16:42:08 +0000, Alan Mackenzie
<ac*@muc.de> wrote:

[Followup-To: set to gnu.emacs.help once again]


Sorry, I've overridden it because I don't get that group...


wonderful. thanks for keeping the off-topic chatter here, rather than
finding a way to subscribe to that other group.

--
a signature
Nov 14 '05 #10

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

6
1853
by: Christian Seberino | last post by:
I am looking at the ELSE home page and trying to figure out if I should invest the time to learn about the ELSE minor mode for Emacs. Is there any programmer out there using ELSE that is getting great benefit from it? What does ELSE minor-mode for Emacs do that is so great for you? Chris
5
1850
by: Tuxtrax | last post by:
Hi all My editor of choice on linux for python, bar none, is xemacs. I love the python mode that detects a python file and handles indentation and coloration for me automagically. I have been using a powerbook for a while now, and I finally found emacs for aqua in OS X Jaguar (10.2.8). I downloaded it from porkrind.com. The version of...
12
12256
by: Rex Eastbourne | last post by:
Hi, I'm interested in running a Python interpreter in Emacs. I have Python extensions for Emacs, and my python menu lists "C-c !" as the command to run the interpreter. Yet when I run it I get the message "Spawning Child Process: invalid argument." What do I need to do/download to fix this? I read in a post in this group from a while...
0
1186
by: David Abrahams | last post by:
Hi, I recently translated the DTD at http://www.boost.org/doc/dtd/boostbook.dtd (a refinement of docbook) to RelaxNG using Trang, using no special command-line options. Now if I try to auto-complete the following in emacs' nXML-mode: <programlisting> foo </repl-!- </programlisting>
12
2806
by: Thomas Bartkus | last post by:
Does anyone use emacs together with both WordStar key bindings and python mode? I'm afraid that Wordstar editing key commands are burned R/O into my knuckles! I would like to play with emacs for Python editing but I'm having (2) problems. 1) When I load a .py file, emacs automatically overrides my wordstar-mode with python-mode, forcing...
2
5124
by: sparkw | last post by:
I am using WinXP, GNU Emacs 23, MySQL 5. When I start a mysql process with `sql-mysql' in emacs, no output is displayed in the buffer until I quit or kill the process. After I add the following line into the initialization file of emacs, (setq sql-mysql-options '("-C" "-t" "-f" "-n")) the output comes out, but the status line still...
7
3261
by: Xah Lee | last post by:
Summary: when encountering ex as a unit in css, FireFox (and iCab) did not take into account the font-family. Detail: http://xahlee.org/js/ff_pre_ex.html Xah xah@xahlee.org ∑ http://xahlee.org/
4
3172
by: emin.shopper | last post by:
Emacs seems to freeze when doing certain shell commands on Microsoft Windows. The following is a simple example with Xemacs: ---------------------------------------------------------- Microsoft Windows XP (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
331
14682
by: Xah Lee | last post by:
http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization.html ] The Modernization of Emacs ---------------------------------------- THE PROBLEM Emacs is a great editor. It is perhaps the most powerful and most versatile text editor. And, besides text editing, it also serves as a
1
3419
by: Xah Lee | last post by:
Text Processing with Emacs Lisp Xah Lee, 2007-10-29 This page gives a outline of how to use emacs lisp to do text processing, using a specific real-world problem as example. If you don't know elisp, first take a gander at Emacs Lisp Basics. HTML version with links and colors is at: http://xahlee.org/emacs/elisp_text_processing.html
0
7365
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can effortlessly switch the default language on Windows 10 without reinstalling. I'll walk you through it. First, let's disable language...
0
7607
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers, it seems that the internal comparison operator "<=>" tries to promote arguments from unsigned to signed. This is as boiled down as I can make it. ...
0
7709
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each protocol has its own unique characteristics and advantages, but as a user who is planning to build a smart home system, I am a bit confused by the...
1
5297
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new presenter, Adolph Dupré who will be discussing some powerful techniques for using class modules. He will explain when you may want to use classes...
0
4918
by: conductexam | last post by:
I have .net C# application in which I am extracting data from word file and save it in database particularly. To store word all data as it is I am converting the whole word file firstly in HTML and then checking html paragraph one by one. At the time of converting from word file to html my equations which are in the word document file was convert...
0
3415
by: TSSRALBI | last post by:
Hello I'm a network technician in training and I need your help. I am currently learning how to create and manage the different types of VPNs and I have a question about LAN-to-LAN VPNs. The last exercise I practiced was to create a LAN-to-LAN VPN between two Pfsense firewalls, by using IPSEC protocols. I succeeded, with both firewalls in...
1
1841
by: 6302768590 | last post by:
Hai team i want code for transfer the data from one system to another through IP address by using C# our system has to for every 5mins then we have to update the data what the data is updated we have to send another system
1
988
muto222
by: muto222 | last post by:
How can i add a mobile payment intergratation into php mysql website.
0
661
bsmnconsultancy
by: bsmnconsultancy | last post by:
In today's digital era, a well-designed website is crucial for businesses looking to succeed. Whether you're a small business owner or a large corporation in Toronto, having a strong online presence can significantly impact your brand's success. BSMN Consultancy, a leader in Website Development in Toronto offers valuable insights into creating...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.