By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
440,199 Members | 1,474 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 440,199 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

OffTopic - Mozilla Thunderbird is not bad

P: n/a
Skc
Just downloaded Thunderbird Newsgroup email/newsgroup reader. It's not
bad - looks better and has more features than Outlook Express.

Especially you can sort messages by many options. Also has option to see
only Watched messages not read. And you can see how many replies there
are to a thread and there's also themes and the list goes on..

Cheers to the maker :-)
Nov 16 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
16 Replies


P: n/a
Nor is Opera's email/newsgroup reader :P

Outlook Express just frustrates me :(

Happy coding!
Morten Wennevik [C# MVP]
Nov 16 '05 #2

P: n/a

Xnews !?

--
Greetings
Jochen

Do you need a memory-leak finder ?
http://www.codeproject.com/tools/leakfinder.asp

Do you need daily reports from your server ?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/srvreport/
Nov 16 '05 #3

P: n/a
Maybe I'm missing something here (and that's why I'm posting -- I'm not
blasting, I'd really like an answer):

I tried Thunderbird. I really like the snappy performance.

I played with it for maybe 30 -40 minutes, and went back to OE (and I don't
particularly like OE). I think it's likely that I'm just missing
something, but the way to work around this really didn't seem very obvious
to me. Here are the main issues that I had with it

1. Often in OE, I like to use the "Show Replies to my messages" option.
The name is a little misleading, because what it really does is to show me
any threads that I have participated in, whether I have replies or not. I
couldn't find a feature in Tbird that does this.

2. If I select "Threaded View", it doesn't seem to put the newest messages
at the top (I have it open right now, as I type this in OE, and the "newest'
thread is dated 4/2/2003). If I click on the Date column in the list view,
it sorts by Date Descending, as I would expect, but then the threaded view
switches off, and I just have a "flat" list of messages. If I go to View |
Messages | Threaded, then the sort is all messed up again.

3. For some reason, a lot of the messages only display a time in the date
field

4. In OE, I like to sort all of the watched messages to the top --even the
ones that have had no new activity. I see a way to show watched threads
with new replies, but I didn't see an option for just viewing all of the
threads that I have watches on.

5. Filters don't seem to work. I tried setting up a filter that would put
a watch on any thread where a message was sent by me (trying to replicate
the feature I am looking for in #1). I got the filter set up, but it didn't
seem to do anything. I noticed that there is an "apply filters to this
folder" option in the menu, but it remained grayed out. Is this feature
broken?

I'm sure that most of these issues are probably because I didn't spend
enough time with it, but I don't have a lot of time to fiddle with it,
either. Any pointers, or is the reader not suited for the way that I want
to use it?
"Skc" <pr*****@singnet.com.sg> wrote in message
news:eg**************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Just downloaded Thunderbird Newsgroup email/newsgroup reader. It's not
bad - looks better and has more features than Outlook Express.

Especially you can sort messages by many options. Also has option to see
only Watched messages not read. And you can see how many replies there
are to a thread and there's also themes and the list goes on..

Cheers to the maker :-)

Nov 16 '05 #4

P: n/a
J.Marsch wrote:
[...]
1. Often in OE, I like to use the "Show Replies to my messages" option.
The name is a little misleading, because what it really does is to show me
any threads that I have participated in, whether I have replies or not. I
couldn't find a feature in Tbird that does this.
I've achieved this in Thunderbird by adding a filter that automatically
/watches/ any threads that I've contribute to.
2. If I select "Threaded View", it doesn't seem to put the newest messages
at the top (I have it open right now, as I type this in OE, and the "newest'
thread is dated 4/2/2003). If I click on the Date column in the list view,
it sorts by Date Descending, as I would expect, but then the threaded view
switches off, and I just have a "flat" list of messages. If I go to View |
Messages | Threaded, then the sort is all messed up again.
No such problem here.
3. For some reason, a lot of the messages only display a time in the date
field
That means that the message was posted _today_.
4. In OE, I like to sort all of the watched messages to the top --even the
ones that have had no new activity. I see a way to show watched threads
with new replies, but I didn't see an option for just viewing all of the
threads that I have watches on.
View -> Threads -> Watched Threads with Unread
5. Filters don't seem to work. I tried setting up a filter that would put
a watch on any thread where a message was sent by me (trying to replicate
the feature I am looking for in #1). I got the filter set up, but it didn't
seem to do anything. I noticed that there is an "apply filters to this
folder" option in the menu, but it remained grayed out. Is this feature
broken?
They work fine here. Did you enter the query correctly?
I'm sure that most of these issues are probably because I didn't spend
enough time with it, but I don't have a lot of time to fiddle with it,
either. Any pointers, or is the reader not suited for the way that I want
to use it?

Nov 16 '05 #5

P: n/a
Skc wrote:
Just downloaded Thunderbird Newsgroup email/newsgroup reader. It's not
bad - looks better and has more features than Outlook Express.

Especially you can sort messages by many options. Also has option to see
only Watched messages not read. And you can see how many replies there
are to a thread and there's also themes and the list goes on..

Cheers to the maker :-)


Don't forget to install the "quote colors" extension -- it's excellent.

http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/ex...s/#quotecolors

Easy installation instructiosn: save the installation file to disk (the
one behind the 'Install' link -- do not left-click this link) and, in
Thunderbird, go Tools -> Options -> Extensions -> Install New Extension
-> (navigate to saved file).
Nov 16 '05 #6

P: n/a

"C# Learner" <cs****@learner.here> wrote in message
news:%2****************@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
2. If I select "Threaded View", it doesn't seem to put the newest messages at the top (I have it open right now, as I type this in OE, and the "newest' thread is dated 4/2/2003). If I click on the Date column in the list view, it sorts by Date Descending, as I would expect, but then the threaded view switches off, and I just have a "flat" list of messages. If I go to View | Messages | Threaded, then the sort is all messed up again.


No such problem here.


I experience this problem also. (having installed TBird this morning)

:(
JB
Nov 16 '05 #7

P: n/a
John Baro wrote:
"C# Learner" <cs****@learner.here> wrote in message
news:%2****************@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

2. If I select "Threaded View", it doesn't seem to put the newest
messages
at the top (I have it open right now, as I type this in OE, and the
"newest'
thread is dated 4/2/2003). If I click on the Date column in the list
view,
it sorts by Date Descending, as I would expect, but then the threaded
view
switches off, and I just have a "flat" list of messages. If I go to
View |
Messages | Threaded, then the sort is all messed up again.


No such problem here.


I experience this problem also. (having installed TBird this morning)


Try this:

- Click 'Date' to have the individual messages sorted by date and
threaded view turned off.
- Click the quote picture icon in the list view header to the left of
'Date'. It should be the left-most one.
- You should now see a threaded view but with all threads expanded.
- Go View -> Threads -> Collapse All Threads and they should all
collapse.

Now you should see a list of threads with the newest original message at
the bottom, and the oldest at the top.
Nov 16 '05 #8

P: n/a
John Baro wrote:
I experience this problem also. (having installed TBird this morning)

:(


Also, make sure that in the sub-menu View -> Sort By, you have either
'Order Received' or 'Date' checked.
Nov 16 '05 #9

P: n/a
4. In OE, I like to sort all of the watched messages to the top --even the ones that have had no new activity. I see a way to show watched threads
with new replies, but I didn't see an option for just viewing all of the
threads that I have watches on.
View -> Threads -> Watched Threads with Unread

No, I'm afraid that's not quite the same thing. That only shows me threads
that have new activity. Sometimes I find that I want to refer to something
that I had marked in the past, because it has relevant information in it.
There might not be new activity on a thread that I marked -- I just want to
be able to get back to it.
5. Filters don't seem to work. I tried setting up a filter that would put a watch on any thread where a message was sent by me (trying to replicate the feature I am looking for in #1). I got the filter set up, but it didn't seem to do anything. I noticed that there is an "apply filters to this
folder" option in the menu, but it remained grayed out. Is this feature
broken?


They work fine here. Did you enter the query correctly?


I'm pretty sure -- it seems kind of hard to screw up. Here's my query:
Name: "My Threads"
Match Any of the following:
Sender contains J.Marsch

Perform these actions:
Watch Thread

I don't get any errors when I enter it, but the "Apply filters to folder"
option remains disabled.

There might be a watch being applied, but since I don't seem to have a way
to view watched threads that do not have new activity, I can't be sure.

Another thing that I noticed: If I put search text into the "subject or
sender contains" line, and do a search, the viewer drops out of threaded
view, and I cannot reactivate it until I clear the search. Between that and
the sort by date problem, this thing really doesn't seem to want to show
threaded views.

I'd love to get a good replacement for OE, but Tbird doesn't look like it's
what I need. It's only in version 0.5. Maybe by the time they get to 1.0,
it will be a better match.


"C# Learner" <cs****@learner.here> wrote in message
news:%2****************@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... J.Marsch wrote:
[...]
1. Often in OE, I like to use the "Show Replies to my messages" option.
The name is a little misleading, because what it really does is to show me any threads that I have participated in, whether I have replies or not. I couldn't find a feature in Tbird that does this.


I've achieved this in Thunderbird by adding a filter that automatically
/watches/ any threads that I've contribute to.
2. If I select "Threaded View", it doesn't seem to put the newest messages at the top (I have it open right now, as I type this in OE, and the "newest' thread is dated 4/2/2003). If I click on the Date column in the list view, it sorts by Date Descending, as I would expect, but then the threaded view switches off, and I just have a "flat" list of messages. If I go to View | Messages | Threaded, then the sort is all messed up again.


No such problem here.
3. For some reason, a lot of the messages only display a time in the date field


That means that the message was posted _today_.
4. In OE, I like to sort all of the watched messages to the top --even the ones that have had no new activity. I see a way to show watched threads
with new replies, but I didn't see an option for just viewing all of the
threads that I have watches on.


View -> Threads -> Watched Threads with Unread
5. Filters don't seem to work. I tried setting up a filter that would put a watch on any thread where a message was sent by me (trying to replicate the feature I am looking for in #1). I got the filter set up, but it didn't seem to do anything. I noticed that there is an "apply filters to this
folder" option in the menu, but it remained grayed out. Is this feature
broken?


They work fine here. Did you enter the query correctly?
I'm sure that most of these issues are probably because I didn't spend
enough time with it, but I don't have a lot of time to fiddle with it,
either. Any pointers, or is the reader not suited for the way that I want to use it?

Nov 16 '05 #10

P: n/a
J.Marsch wrote:
> 4. In OE, I like to sort all of the watched messages to the top --even

the
> ones that have had no new activity. I see a way to show watched threads
> with new replies, but I didn't see an option for just viewing all of the
> threads that I have watches on.


View -> Threads -> Watched Threads with Unread

No, I'm afraid that's not quite the same thing. That only shows me threads
that have new activity. Sometimes I find that I want to refer to something
that I had marked in the past, because it has relevant information in it.
There might not be new activity on a thread that I marked -- I just want to
be able to get back to it.


Oh, in that case I guess that you might be able to use the ability to
mark messages as 'Important', 'Personal', etc., but this isn't something
I've tried yet.
Nov 16 '05 #11

P: n/a
That's a thought. Maybe I need to alter my methods. Instead of a watch,
maybe the flags are more appropriate within Tbird.

"C# Learner" <cs****@learner.here> wrote in message
news:ey*************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
J.Marsch wrote:
> 4. In OE, I like to sort all of the watched messages to the top --even
the
> ones that have had no new activity. I see a way to show watched
threads > with new replies, but I didn't see an option for just viewing all of the > threads that I have watches on.


View -> Threads -> Watched Threads with Unread

No, I'm afraid that's not quite the same thing. That only shows me

threads that have new activity. Sometimes I find that I want to refer to something that I had marked in the past, because it has relevant information in it. There might not be new activity on a thread that I marked -- I just want to be able to get back to it.


Oh, in that case I guess that you might be able to use the ability to
mark messages as 'Important', 'Personal', etc., but this isn't something
I've tried yet.

Nov 16 '05 #12

P: n/a
Skc
J.Marsch wrote:
View -> Threads -> Watched Threads with Unread

No, I'm afraid that's not quite the same thing. That only shows me threads
that have new activity. Sometimes I find that I want to refer to something
that I had marked in the past, because it has relevant information in it.
There might not be new activity on a thread that I marked -- I just want to
be able to get back to it.


This is something that I would like too and it looks like Tbird does not
have this capability right now and perhaps also the Query . But the rest
should work fine and like you say it's only version 0.5 :)

Regards
Skc
Nov 16 '05 #13

P: n/a
Skc
C# Learner wrote:
Skc wrote:
Just downloaded Thunderbird Newsgroup email/newsgroup reader. It's
not bad - looks better and has more features than Outlook Express.

Especially you can sort messages by many options. Also has option to
see only Watched messages not read. And you can see how many replies
there are to a thread and there's also themes and the list goes on..

Cheers to the maker :-)

Don't forget to install the "quote colors" extension -- it's excellent.

http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/ex...s/#quotecolors

Easy installation instructiosn: save the installation file to disk (the
one behind the 'Install' link -- do not left-click this link) and, in
Thunderbird, go Tools -> Options -> Extensions -> Install New Extension
-> (navigate to saved file).


OK. Thanks for the lead. I will see what it does.

Regards
Skc

Nov 16 '05 #14

P: n/a
Skc
Skc wrote:
This is something that I would like too and it looks like Tbird does not
have this capability right now and perhaps also the Query . But the rest
should work fine and like you say it's only version 0.5 :)

Actually the Query may work somewhat, it's automatically enabled and the
filter seems to apply only to new messages - still exploring it.

Regards
Skc
Nov 16 '05 #15

P: n/a
Skc
J.Marsch wrote:
View -> Threads -> Watched Threads with Unread

No, I'm afraid that's not quite the same thing. That only shows me threads
that have new activity. Sometimes I find that I want to refer to something
that I had marked in the past, because it has relevant information in it.
There might not be new activity on a thread that I marked -- I just want to
be able to get back to it.


There's a simple workaround in Tbird for this. When you have viewed a
thread completely and you still want easy reference to it, just ticked
the first message of that thread as UNREAD. It will then always appear
when you do:

View -> Threads -> Watched Threads with Unread

The whole thread can be seen. On top of that you can marked individual
messages as Important, Personal and so on, so that you know which of the
messages are relevant to you. It's getting interesting, to me at least.

Regards
Skc
Nov 16 '05 #16

P: n/a
Skc
J.Marsch wrote:
View -> Threads -> Watched Threads with Unread

No, I'm afraid that's not quite the same thing. That only shows me threads
that have new activity. Sometimes I find that I want to refer to something
that I had marked in the past, because it has relevant information in it.
There might not be new activity on a thread that I marked -- I just want to
be able to get back to it.

There's a simple workaround in Tbird for this. When you have viewed a
thread completely and you still want easy reference to it, just ticked
any one message of that thread as UNREAD - preferably the 2ND message.
It will then always appear when you do:

View -> Threads -> Watched Threads with Unread

The whole thread can be seen. On top of that you can marked individual
messages as Important, Personal and so on, so that you know which of the
messages are relevant to you. It's getting interesting....to me at least.

Regards
Skc
[This is the 2nd post. 1st post is canceled. if anyone sees 2 posting
ignore the first]
Nov 16 '05 #17

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.