473,851 Members | 2,270 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

XP Pro/IIS 5.1/.NET 1.1 Performance Problem

Hi,

I accidently uninstalled IIS 5.1 on my XP Pro workstation and I think I
messed up my .Net framework. Then, I reinstalled IIS and ran aspnet_regiis
-i. After this, all asp.net applications except one worked normally. This
application is different from other as it is distributed (uses .Net
Remoting), uses Crystal Reports 9 for web reports, uses Infragistics
NetAdvantage suite controls and windows integrated authetication. The good
news is application works but it is dead slow. When I stepped through the
code it looks like the IIS takes forever to load the page into IE. The
database calls and remoting component seems to work normally. I have tried
uninstalling and reinstalling IIS, frontpage extensions, framework, VS.NET
2003 but no luck. The one thing I haven't tried still is reinstalling the OS.
In order to identify the actual problem, I eliminated Net advantage, crystal
reports, and integrated authentication but no luck. I have another asp.net
application which does not use .Net remoting which seems to work normally.

I have tons of other software which I will have to reinstall if I reinstall
OS. Already I have spent lot of time fixing this issue so please help me
prevent OS reinstall. Have anyone exprienced this problem before. Any
suggestions or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Magdelin
Nov 19 '05 #1
11 1569
This followup was posted to microsoft.publi c.dotnet.framew ork.aspnet

In article <D6************ *************** *******@microso ft.com>,
ma**********@ne wsgroups.nospam says...
I have tons of other software which I will have to reinstall if I reinstall
OS. Already I have spent lot of time fixing this issue so please help me
prevent OS reinstall. Have anyone exprienced this problem before. Any
suggestions or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Magdelin

have you tried uninstalling the .net framework and reinstalling just
that?

--
Peter Kellner
http://peterkellner.net
Nov 19 '05 #2
Yes, I did. Infact, I am currently testing the application with just IIS 5.1
and .Net framework 1.1 SP1. No VS.NET 2003, crystal reports and third party
controls.

"Peter Kellner" wrote:
This followup was posted to microsoft.publi c.dotnet.framew ork.aspnet

In article <D6************ *************** *******@microso ft.com>,
ma**********@ne wsgroups.nospam says...
I have tons of other software which I will have to reinstall if I reinstall
OS. Already I have spent lot of time fixing this issue so please help me
prevent OS reinstall. Have anyone exprienced this problem before. Any
suggestions or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Magdelin

have you tried uninstalling the .net framework and reinstalling just
that?

--
Peter Kellner
http://peterkellner.net

Nov 19 '05 #3
Also check and see if you need updates now. Uninstalling IIS and then
re-installing it may have installed the version of IIS that was good for the
original install but may lack the updates from the various service packs.
Head over to update.microsof t.com and see if there are any updates that you
need to apply now. Uninstalling and re-installing the .Net Framework may
also assist this, but don't forget to check fo r the service packs for the
framework after re-installing

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

"Magdelin" <ma**********@n ewsgroups.nospa m> wrote in message
news:D6******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
Hi,

I accidently uninstalled IIS 5.1 on my XP Pro workstation and I think I
messed up my .Net framework. Then, I reinstalled IIS and ran aspnet_regiis
-i. After this, all asp.net applications except one worked normally. This
application is different from other as it is distributed (uses .Net
Remoting), uses Crystal Reports 9 for web reports, uses Infragistics
NetAdvantage suite controls and windows integrated authetication. The good
news is application works but it is dead slow. When I stepped through the
code it looks like the IIS takes forever to load the page into IE. The
database calls and remoting component seems to work normally. I have tried
uninstalling and reinstalling IIS, frontpage extensions, framework, VS.NET
2003 but no luck. The one thing I haven't tried still is reinstalling the
OS.
In order to identify the actual problem, I eliminated Net advantage,
crystal
reports, and integrated authentication but no luck. I have another asp.net
application which does not use .Net remoting which seems to work normally.

I have tons of other software which I will have to reinstall if I
reinstall
OS. Already I have spent lot of time fixing this issue so please help me
prevent OS reinstall. Have anyone exprienced this problem before. Any
suggestions or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Magdelin

Nov 19 '05 #4
Thanks for your suggestions. I ran all updates this morning including .Net
1.1 SP1 but no luck.
"Mark Fitzpatrick" wrote:
Also check and see if you need updates now. Uninstalling IIS and then
re-installing it may have installed the version of IIS that was good for the
original install but may lack the updates from the various service packs.
Head over to update.microsof t.com and see if there are any updates that you
need to apply now. Uninstalling and re-installing the .Net Framework may
also assist this, but don't forget to check fo r the service packs for the
framework after re-installing

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

"Magdelin" <ma**********@n ewsgroups.nospa m> wrote in message
news:D6******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
Hi,

I accidently uninstalled IIS 5.1 on my XP Pro workstation and I think I
messed up my .Net framework. Then, I reinstalled IIS and ran aspnet_regiis
-i. After this, all asp.net applications except one worked normally. This
application is different from other as it is distributed (uses .Net
Remoting), uses Crystal Reports 9 for web reports, uses Infragistics
NetAdvantage suite controls and windows integrated authetication. The good
news is application works but it is dead slow. When I stepped through the
code it looks like the IIS takes forever to load the page into IE. The
database calls and remoting component seems to work normally. I have tried
uninstalling and reinstalling IIS, frontpage extensions, framework, VS.NET
2003 but no luck. The one thing I haven't tried still is reinstalling the
OS.
In order to identify the actual problem, I eliminated Net advantage,
crystal
reports, and integrated authentication but no luck. I have another asp.net
application which does not use .Net remoting which seems to work normally.

I have tons of other software which I will have to reinstall if I
reinstall
OS. Already I have spent lot of time fixing this issue so please help me
prevent OS reinstall. Have anyone exprienced this problem before. Any
suggestions or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Magdelin


Nov 19 '05 #5
If everythig else is running normally, it's very unlikely the OS is
corrupted.

Make sure the virtual settings are correct in IIS for the problem
application. chances are reinstalling IIS has lost some settings. Also
check the event log for any problems: Start-> run->event vwr.msc

"Magdelin" <ma**********@n ewsgroups.nospa m> wrote in message
news:D6******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
Hi,

I accidently uninstalled IIS 5.1 on my XP Pro workstation and I think I
messed up my .Net framework. Then, I reinstalled IIS and ran aspnet_regiis
-i. After this, all asp.net applications except one worked normally. This
application is different from other as it is distributed (uses .Net
Remoting), uses Crystal Reports 9 for web reports, uses Infragistics
NetAdvantage suite controls and windows integrated authetication. The good
news is application works but it is dead slow. When I stepped through the
code it looks like the IIS takes forever to load the page into IE. The
database calls and remoting component seems to work normally. I have tried
uninstalling and reinstalling IIS, frontpage extensions, framework, VS.NET
2003 but no luck. The one thing I haven't tried still is reinstalling the
OS.
In order to identify the actual problem, I eliminated Net advantage,
crystal
reports, and integrated authentication but no luck. I have another asp.net
application which does not use .Net remoting which seems to work normally.

I have tons of other software which I will have to reinstall if I
reinstall
OS. Already I have spent lot of time fixing this issue so please help me
prevent OS reinstall. Have anyone exprienced this problem before. Any
suggestions or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Magdelin

Nov 19 '05 #6
Thanks for your suggestions. I did check the event logs, no errors. I wish
there was one. Like, I said before, the application works but it is extremely
slow. I couldn't find anything unusual in the virtual directory.

"Jon Paal" wrote:
If everythig else is running normally, it's very unlikely the OS is
corrupted.

Make sure the virtual settings are correct in IIS for the problem
application. chances are reinstalling IIS has lost some settings. Also
check the event log for any problems: Start-> run->event vwr.msc

"Magdelin" <ma**********@n ewsgroups.nospa m> wrote in message
news:D6******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
Hi,

I accidently uninstalled IIS 5.1 on my XP Pro workstation and I think I
messed up my .Net framework. Then, I reinstalled IIS and ran aspnet_regiis
-i. After this, all asp.net applications except one worked normally. This
application is different from other as it is distributed (uses .Net
Remoting), uses Crystal Reports 9 for web reports, uses Infragistics
NetAdvantage suite controls and windows integrated authetication. The good
news is application works but it is dead slow. When I stepped through the
code it looks like the IIS takes forever to load the page into IE. The
database calls and remoting component seems to work normally. I have tried
uninstalling and reinstalling IIS, frontpage extensions, framework, VS.NET
2003 but no luck. The one thing I haven't tried still is reinstalling the
OS.
In order to identify the actual problem, I eliminated Net advantage,
crystal
reports, and integrated authentication but no luck. I have another asp.net
application which does not use .Net remoting which seems to work normally.

I have tons of other software which I will have to reinstall if I
reinstall
OS. Already I have spent lot of time fixing this issue so please help me
prevent OS reinstall. Have anyone exprienced this problem before. Any
suggestions or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Magdelin


Nov 19 '05 #7
If all the other applications run normally then it is solely the problem of
the one app.

Turn on trace when you run the app and see where the delays are occurring.

"Magdelin" <ma**********@n ewsgroups.nospa m> wrote in message
news:33******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
Thanks for your suggestions. I did check the event logs, no errors. I wish
there was one. Like, I said before, the application works but it is
extremely
slow. I couldn't find anything unusual in the virtual directory.

"Jon Paal" wrote:
If everythig else is running normally, it's very unlikely the OS is
corrupted.

Make sure the virtual settings are correct in IIS for the problem
application. chances are reinstalling IIS has lost some settings. Also
check the event log for any problems: Start-> run->event vwr.msc

"Magdelin" <ma**********@n ewsgroups.nospa m> wrote in message
news:D6******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I accidently uninstalled IIS 5.1 on my XP Pro workstation and I think I
> messed up my .Net framework. Then, I reinstalled IIS and ran
> aspnet_regiis
> -i. After this, all asp.net applications except one worked normally.
> This
> application is different from other as it is distributed (uses .Net
> Remoting), uses Crystal Reports 9 for web reports, uses Infragistics
> NetAdvantage suite controls and windows integrated authetication. The
> good
> news is application works but it is dead slow. When I stepped through
> the
> code it looks like the IIS takes forever to load the page into IE. The
> database calls and remoting component seems to work normally. I have
> tried
> uninstalling and reinstalling IIS, frontpage extensions, framework,
> VS.NET
> 2003 but no luck. The one thing I haven't tried still is reinstalling
> the
> OS.
> In order to identify the actual problem, I eliminated Net advantage,
> crystal
> reports, and integrated authentication but no luck. I have another
> asp.net
> application which does not use .Net remoting which seems to work
> normally.
>
> I have tons of other software which I will have to reinstall if I
> reinstall
> OS. Already I have spent lot of time fixing this issue so please help
> me
> prevent OS reinstall. Have anyone exprienced this problem before. Any
> suggestions or pointers will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Magdelin


Nov 19 '05 #8
The trace log shows maximum time for the LoadViewState and PostProcessData
but this is normal. I really appreciate your help.

"Jon Paal" wrote:
If all the other applications run normally then it is solely the problem of
the one app.

Turn on trace when you run the app and see where the delays are occurring.

"Magdelin" <ma**********@n ewsgroups.nospa m> wrote in message
news:33******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
Thanks for your suggestions. I did check the event logs, no errors. I wish
there was one. Like, I said before, the application works but it is
extremely
slow. I couldn't find anything unusual in the virtual directory.

"Jon Paal" wrote:
If everythig else is running normally, it's very unlikely the OS is
corrupted.

Make sure the virtual settings are correct in IIS for the problem
application. chances are reinstalling IIS has lost some settings. Also
check the event log for any problems: Start-> run->event vwr.msc

"Magdelin" <ma**********@n ewsgroups.nospa m> wrote in message
news:D6******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I accidently uninstalled IIS 5.1 on my XP Pro workstation and I think I
> messed up my .Net framework. Then, I reinstalled IIS and ran
> aspnet_regiis
> -i. After this, all asp.net applications except one worked normally.
> This
> application is different from other as it is distributed (uses .Net
> Remoting), uses Crystal Reports 9 for web reports, uses Infragistics
> NetAdvantage suite controls and windows integrated authetication. The
> good
> news is application works but it is dead slow. When I stepped through
> the
> code it looks like the IIS takes forever to load the page into IE. The
> database calls and remoting component seems to work normally. I have
> tried
> uninstalling and reinstalling IIS, frontpage extensions, framework,
> VS.NET
> 2003 but no luck. The one thing I haven't tried still is reinstalling
> the
> OS.
> In order to identify the actual problem, I eliminated Net advantage,
> crystal
> reports, and integrated authentication but no luck. I have another
> asp.net
> application which does not use .Net remoting which seems to work
> normally.
>
> I have tons of other software which I will have to reinstall if I
> reinstall
> OS. Already I have spent lot of time fixing this issue so please help
> me
> prevent OS reinstall. Have anyone exprienced this problem before. Any
> suggestions or pointers will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Magdelin


Nov 19 '05 #9
did you ever get this resolved?
for some reason all my applications on my personal version of iis are slow
to the point of not being usable. This is bad
(xp pro, dot.net framework 1.1)
thanks
kes

--
thanks (as always)
some day i''m gona pay this forum back for all the help i''m getting
kes
"Magdelin" wrote:
The trace log shows maximum time for the LoadViewState and PostProcessData
but this is normal. I really appreciate your help.

"Jon Paal" wrote:
If all the other applications run normally then it is solely the problem of
the one app.

Turn on trace when you run the app and see where the delays are occurring.

"Magdelin" <ma**********@n ewsgroups.nospa m> wrote in message
news:33******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
Thanks for your suggestions. I did check the event logs, no errors. I wish
there was one. Like, I said before, the application works but it is
extremely
slow. I couldn't find anything unusual in the virtual directory.

"Jon Paal" wrote:

> If everythig else is running normally, it's very unlikely the OS is
> corrupted.
>
> Make sure the virtual settings are correct in IIS for the problem
> application. chances are reinstalling IIS has lost some settings. Also
> check the event log for any problems: Start-> run->event vwr.msc
>
>
>
>
>
> "Magdelin" <ma**********@n ewsgroups.nospa m> wrote in message
> news:D6******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I accidently uninstalled IIS 5.1 on my XP Pro workstation and I think I
> > messed up my .Net framework. Then, I reinstalled IIS and ran
> > aspnet_regiis
> > -i. After this, all asp.net applications except one worked normally.
> > This
> > application is different from other as it is distributed (uses .Net
> > Remoting), uses Crystal Reports 9 for web reports, uses Infragistics
> > NetAdvantage suite controls and windows integrated authetication. The
> > good
> > news is application works but it is dead slow. When I stepped through
> > the
> > code it looks like the IIS takes forever to load the page into IE. The
> > database calls and remoting component seems to work normally. I have
> > tried
> > uninstalling and reinstalling IIS, frontpage extensions, framework,
> > VS.NET
> > 2003 but no luck. The one thing I haven't tried still is reinstalling
> > the
> > OS.
> > In order to identify the actual problem, I eliminated Net advantage,
> > crystal
> > reports, and integrated authentication but no luck. I have another
> > asp.net
> > application which does not use .Net remoting which seems to work
> > normally.
> >
> > I have tons of other software which I will have to reinstall if I
> > reinstall
> > OS. Already I have spent lot of time fixing this issue so please help
> > me
> > prevent OS reinstall. Have anyone exprienced this problem before. Any
> > suggestions or pointers will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> > Magdelin
>
>
>


Nov 19 '05 #10

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

5
1739
by: Steve_CA | last post by:
Hello all, I've been recruited to assist in diagnosing and fixing a performance problem on an application we have running on SQL Server 7. The application itself is third party software, so we can't get at the source code. It's a Client Management system, where consultants all over the country track their client meetings, results, action plans, etc. , and has apparently been problematic for a long time now. I came into this...
0
1203
by: Andrew Mayo | last post by:
This problem was discovered with MSDE2000 SP2 and under WinXP SP2. We are unsure whether it is more widespread as it has only been seen on one machine to date. The problem is related to name resolution. If you attempt to connect to a local database with a connect string using server=. rather than
6
2328
by: teedilo | last post by:
We have an application with a SQL Server 2000 back end that is fairly database intensive -- lots of fairly frequent queries, inserts, updates -- the gamut. The application does not make use of performance hogs like cursors, but I know there are lots of ways the application could be made more efficient database-wise. The server code is running VB6 of all things, using COM+ database interfaces. There are some clustered and non-clustered...
4
3366
by: Martin | last post by:
I am using graphics as backgrounds for forms,buttons,labels etc. The question is: is it faster to load all graphics from files on app start or to use it embeded (places in editor during design). Reason for my question is that application has 5mb, while without graphics it has cca 400kb. Graphic files (bmps) take about 200kb (in program, they are repeated many times, ie almost all labels (around 200) have same background image)). Also,...
13
2775
by: bjarne | last post by:
Willy Denoyette wrote; > ... it > was not the intention of StrousTrup to the achieve the level of efficiency > of C when he invented C++, ... Ahmmm. It was my aim to match the performance of C and I achieved that aim very early on. See, for example "The Design and Evolution of C++". -- Bjarne Stroustrup; http://www.research.att.com/~bs
13
4161
by: Bern McCarty | last post by:
I have run an experiment to try to learn some things about floating point performance in managed C++. I am using Visual Studio 2003. I was hoping to get a feel for whether or not it would make sense to punch out from managed code to native code (I was using IJW) in order to do some amount of floating point work and, if so, what that certain amount of floating point work was approximately. To attempt to do this I made a program that...
17
2074
by: 57R4N63R | last post by:
I'm currently building a website for one of the client. There has been few errors here and there, but just recently the problem is getting worse. Basically the symptoms is that when the user try to access the page, it takes really long time to load. However, after up to 1 hour, the website will run fine again as normal. This issue has been there with the site. I usually just ask the system admin to restart the IIS Service. However, the...
8
1889
by: NAdir | last post by:
Hi, thank you for your help. My VB.Net application contains a document that the user can refresh at any time. The refresh works fine and needs to loop through few datatables (hundreds of rows). This works fine until I delete some rows in two tables. Just after the delete if I do the refresh there is a huge memory allocated and the time needed to perform the refresh increase, the memory and time continue to increase on each refresh until I...
1
2464
by: jvn | last post by:
I am experiencing a particular problem with performance counters. I have created a set of classes, that uses System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter to increment custom performance counters (using .Net 2.0) The performance counter categories have been successfully created. When the set of classes are used by a WinForm test harness application, they function as expected, and the performance counters can be seen to be updated by using the...
30
3579
by: galiorenye | last post by:
Hi, Given this code: A** ppA = new A*; A *pA = NULL; for(int i = 0; i < 10; ++i) { pA = ppA; //do something with pA
0
9744
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can effortlessly switch the default language on Windows 10 without reinstalling. I'll walk you through it. First, let's disable language synchronization. With a Microsoft account, language settings sync across devices. To prevent any complications,...
0
10670
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven tapestry of website design and digital marketing. It's not merely about having a website; it's about crafting an immersive digital experience that captivates audiences and drives business growth. The Art of Business Website Design Your website is...
0
10352
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each protocol has its own unique characteristics and advantages, but as a user who is planning to build a smart home system, I am a bit confused by the choice of these technologies. I'm particularly interested in Zigbee because I've heard it does some...
1
7900
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new presenter, Adolph Dupré who will be discussing some powerful techniques for using class modules. He will explain when you may want to use classes instead of User Defined Types (UDT). For example, to manage the data in unbound forms. Adolph will...
0
7072
by: conductexam | last post by:
I have .net C# application in which I am extracting data from word file and save it in database particularly. To store word all data as it is I am converting the whole word file firstly in HTML and then checking html paragraph one by one. At the time of converting from word file to html my equations which are in the word document file was convert into image. Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.ActiveDocument.Select();...
0
5735
by: TSSRALBI | last post by:
Hello I'm a network technician in training and I need your help. I am currently learning how to create and manage the different types of VPNs and I have a question about LAN-to-LAN VPNs. The last exercise I practiced was to create a LAN-to-LAN VPN between two Pfsense firewalls, by using IPSEC protocols. I succeeded, with both firewalls in the same network. But I'm wondering if it's possible to do the same thing, with 2 Pfsense firewalls...
0
5931
by: adsilva | last post by:
A Windows Forms form does not have the event Unload, like VB6. What one acts like?
1
4547
by: 6302768590 | last post by:
Hai team i want code for transfer the data from one system to another through IP address by using C# our system has to for every 5mins then we have to update the data what the data is updated we have to send another system
2
4142
muto222
by: muto222 | last post by:
How can i add a mobile payment intergratation into php mysql website.

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.