469,344 Members | 6,633 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 469,344 developers. It's quick & easy.

Securing a table without restricting form usage

Hi, I have a database that contains only one table. This table
contains highly confidential/unique information that, if viewed or
copied as a whole, would give away much of my company's intellectual
property. So, obviously we don't want users to have direct access to
view, modify, etc. this table. However, there is a form in this
database that uses data from that table to calculate averages, etc.
I'd like the form to have access to the table so that the calculations
can be performed, but again we don't want anybody looking at the
underlying table directly. When I use the User Security Wizard, I
can't seem to set it up this way. It seems like it's one extreme or
the other: either the table becomes unavailable to both the users AND
the form, or I make the table read-only so the form can use it -- but
the users can also view the data. Is there a way that I can make it so
that my form will run okay while making the table completely
invisible/unavailable to users?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Chris

Nov 13 '05 #1
5 1189
On 7 Dec 2004 14:36:41 -0800, "ronchito" <ro*******@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi, I have a database that contains only one table. This table
contains highly confidential/unique information that, if viewed or
copied as a whole, would give away much of my company's intellectual
property. So, obviously we don't want users to have direct access to
view, modify, etc. this table. However, there is a form in this
database that uses data from that table to calculate averages, etc.
I'd like the form to have access to the table so that the calculations
can be performed, but again we don't want anybody looking at the
underlying table directly. When I use the User Security Wizard, I
can't seem to set it up this way. It seems like it's one extreme or
the other: either the table becomes unavailable to both the users AND
the form, or I make the table read-only so the form can use it -- but
the users can also view the data. Is there a way that I can make it so
that my form will run okay while making the table completely
invisible/unavailable to users?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Chris

Hi
Owner-access queries can provide this functionality.
(Or use a real database as a back-end and set up a view. :))
David

Nov 13 '05 #2
"ronchito" <ro*******@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi, I have a database that contains only one table. This table
contains highly confidential/unique information that, if viewed or
copied as a whole, would give away much of my company's intellectual
property. So, obviously we don't want users to have direct access to
view, modify, etc. this table. However, there is a form in this
database that uses data from that table to calculate averages, etc.
I'd like the form to have access to the table so that the calculations
can be performed, but again we don't want anybody looking at the
underlying table directly. When I use the User Security Wizard, I
can't seem to set it up this way. It seems like it's one extreme or
the other: either the table becomes unavailable to both the users AND
the form, or I make the table read-only so the form can use it -- but
the users can also view the data. Is there a way that I can make it so
that my form will run okay while making the table completely
invisible/unavailable to users?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Chris


Hi Chris.

Access user-level security takes some learning and getting used to. You
need to create an 'ordinary user' account for restricted access and use the
Admin account for direct table access.

The 'ordinary user' could then access the data via an 'owner access' query
- this enables you to deny user access to the table object whilst still
allowing a certain level of data access.

But really there's no substitute for reading this

<http://support.microsoft.com/default...access%2fconte
nt%2fsecfaq.asp>

if you want to use user-level security.

There's also a step-by-step example on my web site.

Regards,
Keith.
www.keithwilby.com
Nov 13 '05 #3
"Keith Wilby" <ke*********@AwayWithYerCrap.com> wrote in message
news:Xn************************@10.15.188.42...
"ronchito" <ro*******@yahoo.com> wrote:
Access user-level security takes some learning and getting used to. You
need to create an 'ordinary user' account for restricted access and use the
Admin account for direct table access.[Snip]


Just to clarify. That last sentence should read "...and use an account with
Administrator privileges for direct table access." The specific account "Admin"
should not have any permissions at all in a properly secured app.
--
I don't check the Email account attached
to this message. Send instead to...
RBrandt at Hunter dot com
Nov 13 '05 #4
"Rick Brandt" <ri*********@hotmail.com> wrote:
Access user-level security takes some learning and getting used to.
You need to create an 'ordinary user' account for restricted access
and use the Admin account for direct table access.[Snip]


Just to clarify. That last sentence should read "...and use an account
with Administrator privileges for direct table access." The specific
account "Admin" should not have any permissions at all in a properly
secured app.


Quite so, my apologies. I was referring to an account in the Admins group
but my attempts to simplify my posting got the better of me :-/
Nov 13 '05 #5
thanks guys -- i will research the sites you listed and check back if i
have any further questions. **much appreciated**

chris
Keith Wilby wrote:
"Rick Brandt" <ri*********@hotmail.com> wrote:
Access user-level security takes some learning and getting used to. You need to create an 'ordinary user' account for restricted access and use the Admin account for direct table access.[Snip]
Just to clarify. That last sentence should read "...and use an account with Administrator privileges for direct table access." The specific account "Admin" should not have any permissions at all in a properly secured app.


Quite so, my apologies. I was referring to an account in the Admins

group but my attempts to simplify my posting got the better of me :-/


Nov 13 '05 #6

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

76 posts views Thread by Nick Coghlan | last post: by
5 posts views Thread by Jeremy Langworthy | last post: by
61 posts views Thread by Toby Austin | last post: by
117 posts views Thread by phil-news-nospam | last post: by
1 post views Thread by CARIGAR | last post: by
reply views Thread by zhoujie | last post: by
reply views Thread by suresh191 | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.