By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
424,688 Members | 1,226 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 424,688 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Filter records without using query

P: n/a
I hope this will make sense. I'm trying to filter the records in a
table based on records in a 2nd table. The trick is, I can't use a
query. I'm trying to filter down the number of records going to a
SmartList to go db. The SMtG Access sync will not allow you to sync
to a query based on more than one table. And if I sync all the
records in table 1 (6000)and table 2 (15,000), it take a loooooong
time to sync I've got an easy solution for table 2, it's just table 1
that's giving me fits. I only need 20 of those records to sync. An
example:
Table 1 Building Permits Table 2 (query) Inspections

Permit Number Permit Number
Address Inspection Type
Owner Inspection Result (query for
"Is Null")
Etc Etc

Result of Table 2 query is 30-40 open inspections. So in summary, i
want to sync the 30-40 inspections from table 2 and the 20 associated
permits from table 1. Any suggestions, advise is appreciated. Thanks
in advance!
Nov 13 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
4 Replies


P: n/a

Brian wrote:
I hope this will make sense. I'm trying to filter the records in a
table based on records in a 2nd table. The trick is, I can't use a
query. I'm trying to filter down the number of records going to a
SmartList to go db. The SMtG Access sync will not allow you to sync
to a query based on more than one table. And if I sync all the
records in table 1 (6000)and table 2 (15,000), it take a loooooong
time to sync I've got an easy solution for table 2, it's just table 1 that's giving me fits. I only need 20 of those records to sync. An example:
Table 1 Building Permits Table 2 (query) Inspections

Permit Number Permit Number
Address Inspection Type
Owner Inspection Result (query for
"Is Null")
Etc Etc

Result of Table 2 query is 30-40 open inspections. So in summary, i
want to sync the 30-40 inspections from table 2 and the 20 associated
permits from table 1. Any suggestions, advise is appreciated. Thanks in advance!


If you cannot sync to a query which uses more than one table perhaps
you can use an Access query to create an intermediate table which you
can then sync. You would want to use a 'make-table' query for this.
Look at help in Access for 'Create a table from another table with a
query'. Your sync process would then involve running the make-table
query from Access, then running the SMtG Access sync on the resulting
table. Hope this helps!

Bruce

Nov 13 '05 #2

P: n/a
Bruce,
Thanks for the reply. I thought about a make table query, however, the
SMtG is a bi-directional sync.
Brian

br***@aristotle.net wrote:
Brian wrote:
I hope this will make sense. I'm trying to filter the records in a
table based on records in a 2nd table. The trick is, I can't use a
query. I'm trying to filter down the number of records going to a
SmartList to go db. The SMtG Access sync will not allow you to sync to a query based on more than one table. And if I sync all the
records in table 1 (6000)and table 2 (15,000), it take a loooooong
time to sync I've got an easy solution for table 2, it's just table
1
that's giving me fits. I only need 20 of those records to sync.

An
example:
Table 1 Building Permits Table 2 (query) Inspections

Permit Number Permit Number
Address Inspection Type
Owner Inspection Result (query

for "Is Null")
Etc Etc

Result of Table 2 query is 30-40 open inspections. So in summary, i want to sync the 30-40 inspections from table 2 and the 20 associated permits from table 1. Any suggestions, advise is appreciated.

Thanks
in advance!


If you cannot sync to a query which uses more than one table perhaps
you can use an Access query to create an intermediate table which you
can then sync. You would want to use a 'make-table' query for this.
Look at help in Access for 'Create a table from another table with a
query'. Your sync process would then involve running the make-table
query from Access, then running the SMtG Access sync on the resulting
table. Hope this helps!

Bruce


Nov 13 '05 #3

P: n/a

br************@ci.verona.wi.us wrote:
Bruce,
Thanks for the reply. I thought about a make table query, however, the SMtG is a bi-directional sync.
Brian


There is a Filter property associated with tables in Access but I have
never used it. Perhaps you can define a filter on the table which does
what you need. Open the table in design view, right click on one of
the rows, and select Properties. There you will find the Filter
property.

HTH,
Bruce

Nov 13 '05 #4

P: n/a
br************@ci.verona.wi.us wrote:
Bruce,
Thanks for the reply. I thought about a make table query, however, the
SMtG is a bi-directional sync.
Brian
I think you misunderstood Bruce. Why not create a create a query that
makes a table that links Table1 and Table2 together. That'd be near
instantaneous with 15K records. Then synch with the MakeTable, then let
Access do the updates from the MakeTable. IOW, your MakeTable is a Temp
table.

Otherwise, can't you dump the data to a CSV file and import/export?

br***@aristotle.net wrote:
Brian wrote:
I hope this will make sense. I'm trying to filter the records in a
table based on records in a 2nd table. The trick is, I can't use a
query. I'm trying to filter down the number of records going to a
SmartList to go db. The SMtG Access sync will not allow you to
sync
to a query based on more than one table. And if I sync all the
records in table 1 (6000)and table 2 (15,000), it take a loooooong
time to sync I've got an easy solution for table 2, it's just
table
1
that's giving me fits. I only need 20 of those records to sync.


An
example:
Table 1 Building Permits Table 2 (query) Inspections

Permit Number Permit Number
Address Inspection Type
Owner Inspection Result (query


for
"Is Null")
Etc Etc

Result of Table 2 query is 30-40 open inspections. So in summary,
i
want to sync the 30-40 inspections from table 2 and the 20
associated
permits from table 1. Any suggestions, advise is appreciated.


Thanks
in advance!


If you cannot sync to a query which uses more than one table perhaps
you can use an Access query to create an intermediate table which you
can then sync. You would want to use a 'make-table' query for this.
Look at help in Access for 'Create a table from another table with a
query'. Your sync process would then involve running the make-table
query from Access, then running the SMtG Access sync on the resulting
table. Hope this helps!

Bruce


Nov 13 '05 #5

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.