By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
446,231 Members | 1,747 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 446,231 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Python mascot proposal

P: n/a
Hey everybody,

While I'm not absolutely positive, it looks like Python still doesn't
have any official mascot or logo. Hence, here's something I came up with
yesterday. Its by no means a final version, but rather just a draft to
show an idea. Here's a link to png file.

http://www.sfu.ca/~dtcaciuc/art/pymascot.png

I haven't came up with the name for that guy yet, so I'm leaving that
for public suggestions :). It is time Python gets an official face in
the Net! *cough* Anyway, I would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

Cheers,

Dimitri.
Jul 18 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
40 Replies


P: n/a
On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:54:38 +0000, Dimitri Tcaciuc wrote:
I haven't came up with the name for that guy yet, so I'm leaving that
for public suggestions :). It is time Python gets an official face in
the Net! *cough* Anyway, I would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions.


I mean no offense, this was just my initial reaction: I like the drawing
itself, but the first thing that coloration brings to mind is the word
"diseased". Sorry, I don't know how to make this sound less brutal without
getting that across. But I do like the drawing.
Jul 18 '05 #2

P: n/a
Jeremy Bowers wrote:
On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:54:38 +0000, Dimitri Tcaciuc wrote:
I haven't came up with the name for that guy yet, so I'm leaving that
for public suggestions :). It is time Python gets an official face in
the Net! *cough* Anyway, I would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

I mean no offense, this was just my initial reaction: I like the drawing
itself, but the first thing that coloration brings to mind is the word
"diseased". Sorry, I don't know how to make this sound less brutal without
getting that across. But I do like the drawing.


Heh, well, I tried to pick the actual snake colors, but I agree that it
looks rather plagued. I shall remove the colouring for now, and think on
a more lively colour scheme.
Jul 18 '05 #3

P: n/a
Jeremy Bowers wrote:
On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:54:38 +0000, Dimitri Tcaciuc wrote:
I haven't came up with the name for that guy yet, so I'm leaving that
for public suggestions :). It is time Python gets an official face in
the Net! *cough* Anyway, I would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

I mean no offense, this was just my initial reaction: I like the drawing
itself, but the first thing that coloration brings to mind is the word
"diseased". Sorry, I don't know how to make this sound less brutal without
getting that across. But I do like the drawing.


Yeah, cool drawing, though I also think I'd change the colors too. They
don't really match up with the traditional Python icon. If you're on
windows this is in the root directory of your Python install, e.g.:

C:\Program Files\Python\py.ico

I don't know if this file is distributed with the other installs...

Anyway, your pic's cool, but I'd prefer to at least keep the same
coloring as the traditional Python python.

Steve
Jul 18 '05 #4

P: n/a
Dimitri Tcaciuc wrote:
While I'm not absolutely positive, it looks like Python still doesn't
have any official mascot or logo.
As already mentioned, there is a snake that gets used in a number of icons
around the place - the windows installer, for example.

Hence, here's something I came up with
yesterday. Its by no means a final version, but rather just a draft to
show an idea. Here's a link to png file.

http://www.sfu.ca/~dtcaciuc/art/pymascot.png


Very cute :)

Having said that, don't forget that Python's name has *nothing to do with
snakes*. Please consider sticking to the original roots of the language's
name: Monty Python's Flying Circus. IIRC, Guido has said a number of times
that he's not fond of using a snake for logos. Hence the MacPython stuff
uses a 16 ton weight in its icons.
Richard

Jul 18 '05 #5

P: n/a
richard wrote:
Dimitri Tcaciuc wrote:
While I'm not absolutely positive, it looks like Python still doesn't
have any official mascot or logo.

As already mentioned, there is a snake that gets used in a number of icons
around the place - the windows installer, for example.
Hence, here's something I came up with
yesterday. Its by no means a final version, but rather just a draft to
show an idea. Here's a link to png file.

http://www.sfu.ca/~dtcaciuc/art/pymascot.png

Very cute :)

Having said that, don't forget that Python's name has *nothing to do with
snakes*. Please consider sticking to the original roots of the language's
name: Monty Python's Flying Circus. IIRC, Guido has said a number of times
that he's not fond of using a snake for logos. Hence the MacPython stuff
uses a 16 ton weight in its icons.
Richard


Yup, I was aware of the fact of Monty Python roots of the language name.
However, you will probably agree that a snake is more associative.

Plus, if to use some characteristic MP feature like a giant foot, I'm
not positive that it won't trigger any copyright issues.
Jul 18 '05 #6

P: n/a
richard wrote:
Having said that, don't forget that Python's name has *nothing to do
with snakes*. Please consider sticking to the original roots of the
language's name: Monty Python's Flying Circus. IIRC, Guido has said a
number of times that he's not fond of using a snake for logos.


Some time ago while cruising a Barnes & Noble I found a Python book I
hadn't seen before. I don't remember the title at the moment, and I
don't have the book at hand, but the cover had a large python staring
down at a small frightened rodent. When I went to check out, the
person at the counter was a kind of frumpy librarian type. She looked
at the cover and made some snide remark about frightening small
children. I thought for a moment about trying to explain to her that
the cover art was an inside joke on an inside joke. When I realized
how far back I would have to go to unwind all the references, it just
didn't seem worth the trouble.
Jul 18 '05 #7

P: n/a
Hey Dimitri,

I completely agree with you in that Python needs once for all a cool
logo.
I like your design very much, but I have a few thoughts about it:

1) I think that Python's logo should reflect its power.
If we use a mascot as its image, we would be giving the wrong idea:
that Python is a "toy" language, instead of a very good alternative to
other mainstream languages.

2) We should also bear in mind Guido's oppinion about using a snake for
identifying Python.

3) And finally, we should consider it very seriously. Image is not
everything, but it is very important for "marketing" a product. I'm
sure that if Java didn't have a cool name and a cool logo, it wouldn't
have been that succesfull.

I don't mean to sound like I'm rejecting your idea. I really like it
alot, and it is an excellent mascot.
It's just that I wouldn't use a mascot... I'd rather use a more
"killer" image.
Something that reflects power and excellence.

What do you think?

Jul 18 '05 #8

P: n/a
Nice drawing!

--
Regards,

Diez B. Roggisch
Jul 18 '05 #9

P: n/a
Luis M. Gonzalez wrote:
Hey Dimitri,

I completely agree with you in that Python needs once for all a cool
logo.
I like your design very much, but I have a few thoughts about it:

1) I think that Python's logo should reflect its power.
If we use a mascot as its image, we would be giving the wrong idea:
that Python is a "toy" language, instead of a very good alternative to
other mainstream languages.

2) We should also bear in mind Guido's oppinion about using a snake for
identifying Python.

3) And finally, we should consider it very seriously. Image is not
everything, but it is very important for "marketing" a product. I'm
sure that if Java didn't have a cool name and a cool logo, it wouldn't
have been that succesfull.

I don't mean to sound like I'm rejecting your idea. I really like it
alot, and it is an excellent mascot.
It's just that I wouldn't use a mascot... I'd rather use a more
"killer" image.
Something that reflects power and excellence.

What do you think?


Hehe, well, looking at linux, Tux is definitely not a killer type, yet
it became very popular. BSD devil is kind of a cutsy thing, yet it
proved to be pretty popular as well.

Not sure if the word 'marketing' applies here, but I agree that the logo
could probably be 'more serious' than what I proposed above. I'll think
about that one some more.

Cheers,
Jul 18 '05 #10

P: n/a
Dimitri Tcaciuc wrote:
While I'm not absolutely positive, it looks like Python still doesn't
have any official mascot or logo. Hence, here's something I came up with
yesterday. Its by no means a final version, but rather just a draft to
show an idea. Here's a link to png file.

http://www.sfu.ca/~dtcaciuc/art/pymascot.png


Nice work! I admit it's just too tempting not to design around snake
imagery for Python. Here are a couple of images/logos (quite a bit
different from a mascot) I've been working on...

http://exogen.cwru.edu/python.png
http://exogen.cwru.edu/python2.png

If anyone can think of a way to break free of the reptile-oriented
thought process but maintain clear, symbolic imagery, I'd love to see
more suggestions or renditions!

--
Brian Beck
Adventurer of the First Order
Jul 18 '05 #11

P: n/a
Brian Beck wrote:

http://exogen.cwru.edu/python2.png


Oooh, I like this one. Very cool!

Steve
Jul 18 '05 #12

P: n/a
Brian Beck wrote:
Dimitri Tcaciuc wrote:
While I'm not absolutely positive, it looks like Python still doesn't
have any official mascot or logo. Hence, here's something I came up
with yesterday. Its by no means a final version, but rather just a
draft to show an idea. Here's a link to png file.

http://www.sfu.ca/~dtcaciuc/art/pymascot.png

Nice work! I admit it's just too tempting not to design around snake
imagery for Python. Here are a couple of images/logos (quite a bit
different from a mascot) I've been working on...

http://exogen.cwru.edu/python.png
http://exogen.cwru.edu/python2.png

If anyone can think of a way to break free of the reptile-oriented
thought process but maintain clear, symbolic imagery, I'd love to see
more suggestions or renditions!


Since the word 'Python' would bring -some- sort of snake associations, I
thought of combining snake and Monty Python symbolic, like making a
snake wind around a giant foot, or adding long mustache and an english
hat to a snake or something in that manner, or even put a snake into a
holy grail heh.

But then again, I'm not sure if there'll be no copyright issues.
Jul 18 '05 #13

P: n/a
Since the word 'Python' would bring -some- sort of snake associations,
I
thought of combining snake and Monty Python symbolic, like making a
snake wind around a giant foot, or adding long mustache and an english
hat to a snake or something in that manner, or even put a snake into a
holy grail heh.

But then again, I'm not sure if there'll be no copyright issues.

But surely only you and I and the other Pythonistas will recognize a Norwegian Blue when we see one.
Might be hard to get away from the snake, as was noted, its a level or two easier mental association than MP.
Logo? Maybe a Norweigian Blue on is back, one fut in e air, wit a snake ead off to is ide, grinningly wit a char-grin?

es not dead!


Eric Pederson
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
domainNot="@something.com"
domainIs=domainNot.replace("s","z")
ePrefix="".join([chr(ord(x)+1) for x in "do"])
mailMeAt=ePrefix+domainIs
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Jul 18 '05 #14

P: n/a
Well the most well known Flying Circus snake related sketch is probably
the one eyed trouser snake one, which is er-, probably less than a good
idea for a logo. The Snake with some sort of Monty Python themeing is
probably the best idea, but drawing a snake + large foot/16 ton
weight/holy grail/norweigan blue might be a bit tricky when you have to
make small sized icons, which is why the current snake is so handy. I
guess someone should watch the intro to flying circus, and/or the
animations from some of the movies for inspiration.

But on that note, how about a python + rose combo?

Eric Pederson wrote:

Since the word 'Python' would bring -some- sort of snake associations,
I
thought of combining snake and Monty Python symbolic, like making a
snake wind around a giant foot, or adding long mustache and an english
hat to a snake or something in that manner, or even put a snake into a
holy grail heh.

But then again, I'm not sure if there'll be no copyright issues.


But surely only you and I and the other Pythonistas will recognize a Norwegian Blue when we see one.
Might be hard to get away from the snake, as was noted, its a level or two easier mental association than MP.
Logo? Maybe a Norweigian Blue on is back, one fut in e air, wit a snake ead off to is ide, grinningly wit a char-grin?

es not dead!


Eric Pederson
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
domainNot="@something.com"
domainIs=domainNot.replace("s","z")
ePrefix="".join([chr(ord(x)+1) for x in "do"])
mailMeAt=ePrefix+domainIs
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


Jul 18 '05 #15

P: n/a

Would a parrot on it's back be better?
adil
On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Alex Stapleton wrote:
Well the most well known Flying Circus snake related sketch is probably
the one eyed trouser snake one, which is er-, probably less than a good
idea for a logo. The Snake with some sort of Monty Python themeing is
probably the best idea, but drawing a snake + large foot/16 ton
weight/holy grail/norweigan blue might be a bit tricky when you have to
make small sized icons, which is why the current snake is so handy. I
guess someone should watch the intro to flying circus, and/or the
animations from some of the movies for inspiration.

But on that note, how about a python + rose combo?

Eric Pederson wrote:

Since the word 'Python' would bring -some- sort of snake associations,
I
thought of combining snake and Monty Python symbolic, like making a
snake wind around a giant foot, or adding long mustache and an english
hat to a snake or something in that manner, or even put a snake into a
holy grail heh.

But then again, I'm not sure if there'll be no copyright issues.


But surely only you and I and the other Pythonistas will recognize a Norwegian Blue when we see one.
Might be hard to get away from the snake, as was noted, its a level or two easier mental association than MP.
Logo? Maybe a Norweigian Blue on is back, one fut in e air, wit a snake ead off to is ide, grinningly wit a char-grin?

es not dead!


Eric Pederson
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
domainNot="@something.com"
domainIs=domainNot.replace("s","z")
ePrefix="".join([chr(ord(x)+1) for x in "do"])
mailMeAt=ePrefix+domainIs
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


Jul 18 '05 #16

P: n/a
The problem with parrots is that Perl 6's engine is called Parrot.
Although I suppose the image of a dead Parrot/snake eating a parrot etc
could be a "good" one in some peoples minds. But i'm not sure Perl
people are really the sort that you wan't to make enemies of, they are
deadly with custard pies. It's a bit immature to insult another language
like that anyway, not thats the idea you where going for of course.
Adil Hasan wrote:
Would a parrot on it's back be better?
adil
On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Alex Stapleton wrote:

Well the most well known Flying Circus snake related sketch is probably
the one eyed trouser snake one, which is er-, probably less than a good
idea for a logo. The Snake with some sort of Monty Python themeing is
probably the best idea, but drawing a snake + large foot/16 ton
weight/holy grail/norweigan blue might be a bit tricky when you have to
make small sized icons, which is why the current snake is so handy. I
guess someone should watch the intro to flying circus, and/or the
animations from some of the movies for inspiration.

But on that note, how about a python + rose combo?

Eric Pederson wrote:

Since the word 'Python' would bring -some- sort of snake associations,
I
thought of combining snake and Monty Python symbolic, like making a
snake wind around a giant foot, or adding long mustache and an english
hat to a snake or something in that manner, or even put a snake into a
holy grail heh.

But then again, I'm not sure if there'll be no copyright issues.

But surely only you and I and the other Pythonistas will recognize a Norwegian Blue when we see one.
Might be hard to get away from the snake, as was noted, its a level or two easier mental association than MP.
Logo? Maybe a Norweigian Blue on is back, one fut in e air, wit a snake ead off to is ide, grinningly wit a char-grin?

es not dead!


Eric Pederson
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
domainNot="@something.com"
domainIs=domainNot.replace("s","z")
ePrefix="".join([chr(ord(x)+1) for x in "do"])
mailMeAt=ePrefix+domainIs
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::



Jul 18 '05 #17

P: n/a
Luis M. Gonzalez wrote:
Hey Dimitri,

I completely agree with you in that Python needs once for all a cool
logo.
I like your design very much, but I have a few thoughts about it:

1) I think that Python's logo should reflect its power.

Vorpal Bunny. Now, *that's* power.
If we use a mascot as its image, we would be giving the wrong idea:
that Python is a "toy" language, instead of a very good alternative to
other mainstream languages.

2) We should also bear in mind Guido's oppinion about using a snake for
identifying Python.

I've been googling for this today. So, what exactly is Guido's opinion
on snake logos?
3) And finally, we should consider it very seriously. Image is not
everything, but it is very important for "marketing" a product. I'm
sure that if Java didn't have a cool name and a cool logo, it wouldn't
have been that succesfull.

I don't mean to sound like I'm rejecting your idea. I really like it
alot, and it is an excellent mascot.
It's just that I wouldn't use a mascot... I'd rather use a more
"killer" image.

There's not much more of a "killer" than a Vorpal Bunny. Those things
are vicious.
Something that reflects power and excellence.

I see some similarities between Vorpal Bunnies and Python (the language):

- Pleasing to the eye
- Deceptively powerful
- Gets the job done - and then some
What do you think?

Vorpal Bunny. Because every other logo lacks the power of a rodential
killer.
0.5-wink-ly y'rs,

Jeremy Jones
Jul 18 '05 #18

P: n/a
I thought there was probably already an official mascot. There's a
little green snake with his tongue hanging out on the left of the URL
when you visit www.python.org. I see it in my Safari browser on Mac OS
X and in Firefox, but not in Internet Exploder. I thought that I had
seen a large picture somewhere, but can't find it now.
I don't know if he has an official name, but I've been calling him
Monty. Monty, the Python; not to be confused with Monty Python of
course ;)

Dan

Jul 18 '05 #19

P: n/a
Not that my opinion is worth anything in these matters, but I like the
upper-left example at http://exogen.cwru.edu/python.png the best (out
of the samples I've seen thus far). I don't like the "gear" shape, and
I think adding a coil or circle around the "head" detracts somewhat
from the look. I like the clean, sharp lines - seems very metaphorical
for the language. My only critique would be that it appears (to me)
much like a clan insignia from Battletech. Not that such is a bad
thing, mind you.

I think people are a little over-anxious regarding copyright
infringement. I think a snake around a holy grail would be a fine
logo, "the holy grail of programming languages" seems appropriate to
me. There's no way that MPFC can have rights over all possible
combinations of "Python" and "Holy Grail". Chill out, people.

Jul 18 '05 #20

P: n/a
Steven Bethard <st************@gmail.com> writes:
Brian Beck wrote:
http://exogen.cwru.edu/python2.png


Oooh, I like this one. Very cool!

Its visually stunning. But under Windows gears show up in the DLL
and batch file icons.

Lenard Lindstrom
<le***@telus.net>
Jul 18 '05 #21

P: n/a
Jeremy Jones <za******@bellsouth.net> writes:
Luis M. Gonzalez wrote:
Hey Dimitri,
[snip]
>2) We should also bear in mind Guido's oppinion about using a snake for

identifying Python.

I've been googling for this today. So, what exactly is Guido's
opinion on snake logos?

This is taken straight from the Python FAQ:

1.2. Why is it called Python?
Apart from being a computer scientist, I'm also a fan of "Monty Python's
Flying Circus" (a BBC comedy series from the seventies, in the
-- unlikely -- case you didn't know). It occurred to me one day that
I needed a name that was short, unique, and slightly mysterious. And
I happened to be reading some scripts from the series at the time...
So then I decided to call my language Python.

By now I don't care any more whether you use a Python, some other snake,
a foot or 16-ton weight, or a wood rat as a logo for Python!

Of course any official logo would likely require a PEP and the BDFL's
endorcement. But before that it might be an idea to see if it becomes
popular as a de facto logo first.

Lenard Lindstrom
<le***@telus.net>
Jul 18 '05 #22

P: n/a

As far as python.png below is concerned, I am reminded of the structure of the
HIV virus: http://www.avert.org/pictures/hivstructure.htm

Pleasing to virologists and drug companies, but as a single, computer-type
guy, it makes my skin crawl in more ways than one.

On Sunday 12 December 2004 07:40 pm, Brian Beck wrote:
Here are a couple of images/logos (quite a bit
different from a mascot) I've been working on...

http://exogen.cwru.edu/python.png
http://exogen.cwru.edu/python2.png

If anyone can think of a way to break free of the reptile-oriented
thought process but maintain clear, symbolic imagery, I'd love to see
more suggestions or renditions!


--
James Stroud, Ph.D.
UCLA-DOE Institute for Genomics and Proteomics
611 Charles E. Young Dr. S.
MBI 205, UCLA 951570
Los Angeles CA 90095-1570
http://www.jamesstroud.com/
Jul 18 '05 #23

P: n/a
Lenard Lindstrom wrote:
Steven Bethard <st************@gmail.com> writes:
Brian Beck wrote:
http://exogen.cwru.edu/python2.png


Oooh, I like this one. Very cool!

Its visually stunning. But under Windows gears show up in the DLL
and batch file icons.


Is that a problem? The fact that they show up in DLLs and batch files
means they're not exclusive to a certain type of file... And neither of
these have pythons winding around them, I believe. ;)

That said, if someone had a really cool mix of python and Monty Python,
I'd probably prefer that...

Steve
Jul 18 '05 #24

P: n/a
Luis M. Gonzalez wrote:
Hey Dimitri,

I completely agree with you in that Python needs once for all a cool
logo.
I like your design very much, but I have a few thoughts about it:

1) I think that Python's logo should reflect its power.
If we use a mascot as its image, we would be giving the wrong idea:
that Python is a "toy" language, instead of a very good alternative to other mainstream languages.


+1. But I think your logo would be a great identifier for Python when
teaching it to younger students. Perhaps the EDU-SIG/Python in
Education folks might be interested.

The American wrestler Hulk Hogan used to intimidate his opponents by
flexing the muscles of his arms, which he refered to as his "26-inch
Pythons". Now, there's a powerful image that would strike an awe-ful
chord in the hearts of many a thick-glassed geek! "Whatcha gonna do,
when the world's most powerful dynamic language comes after you?"
-- Graham

Jul 18 '05 #25

P: n/a
On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 14:50, James Stroud wrote:
As far as python.png below is concerned, I am reminded of the structure of the
HIV virus: http://www.avert.org/pictures/hivstructure.htm

Pleasing to virologists and drug companies, but as a single, computer-type
guy, it makes my skin crawl in more ways than one.

On Sunday 12 December 2004 07:40 pm, Brian Beck wrote:
Here are a couple of images/logos (quite a bit
different from a mascot) I've been working on...

http://exogen.cwru.edu/python.png
http://exogen.cwru.edu/python2.png

If anyone can think of a way to break free of the reptile-oriented
thought process but maintain clear, symbolic imagery, I'd love to see
more suggestions or renditions!


The notion of python as a meme, a mental virus, something ubiquitous,
invasive and unavoidable like the common cold or a half time ad isn't
bad. A rebellion against the accusations made by some that open source
code is viral would be nice.

But I agree, python.png is a bit harsh. It screams "rigid,
militaristic, violent." It is also dangerous; if I saw that on the
bumper of an overturned car I wouldn't stop to help -- I'd run like
hell. We don't want Python aficionados to die from lack of medical care
while hazmat teams look up arcane symbols on underpowered field hardened
laptops while wearing inch thick gloves.

When I think of Python in emotional terms. A plush toy like Tux is more
appealing.

As for python2.png ... does the snake get all smushed up in the gear if
it turns?
Adam DePrince
Jul 18 '05 #26

P: n/a
I've yet to see a Python logo that I thought was really good. The cartoon
green snake icon is okay, I guess, if a bit cutesy for my taste.

Random thoughts: It is unreasonable to use the name "Python" and not expect
people to associate it with a snake. I say that although I'm a big Python
(Monte) fan from the beginning. I think it would be a bad idea to market
the etymological connection between Python the language and the comedy
group. Always remember that most people are pig-ignorant philistines.
Besides, Monte Python stuff is trademarked and copyrighted.. And what have
you got against snakes, huh? Huh?

Jive
Jul 18 '05 #27

P: n/a
P.s. I never could stand Beanie and Cecil.
Jul 18 '05 #28

P: n/a
Steven Bethard <st************@gmail.com> writes:
Lenard Lindstrom wrote:
Steven Bethard <st************@gmail.com> writes:
Brian Beck wrote:

http://exogen.cwru.edu/python2.png

Oooh, I like this one. Very cool!

Its visually stunning. But under Windows gears show up in the DLL
and batch file icons.


Is that a problem? The fact that they show up in DLLs and batch files
means they're not exclusive to a certain type of file... And neither
of these have pythons winding around them, I believe. ;)

The only reason I bring it up is there are Python Windows icons for .py, .pyw,
and .pyc files, but not .pyd extension modules. I make do by setting
..pyd files to use the same icon as other DLLs. But if an icon with a
snake and gear is made into the new Windows icon for Python it would
make me think of the .pyd file icon that should have been.

Lenard Lindstrom
<le***@telus.net>

Jul 18 '05 #29

P: n/a

What about a dead camel?
Jul 18 '05 #30

P: n/a
Dimitri Tcaciuc wrote:
Yup, I was aware of the fact of Monty Python roots of the language name.
However, you will probably agree that a snake is more associative.

Plus, if to use some characteristic MP feature like a giant foot, I'm
not positive that it won't trigger any copyright issues.


I prefer an alternate meaning:

2. A diviner by spirits. ``[Manasses] observed omens, and
appointed pythons.'' --4 Kings xxi. 6 (Douay version).
Since Python is a divine language, and conjures up quick solutions to
ghastly problems. And, in the spirit of oracles, reflects the wisdom of
the languages design. 8-)

Now, how about an icon that conveys something like that? hm... smoke
curled around wizard perhaps?
--
\/ \/
(O O)
-- --------------------oOOo~(_)~oOOo----------------------------------------
Keith Dart <kd***@kdart.com>
public key: ID: F3D288E4
================================================== ==========================
Jul 18 '05 #31

P: n/a
> > But before pushing forward any particular design, maybe it will
make
sense to make some sort of official logo contest on Python's main
website and post it on /. ?


I was waiting for someone to propose that :-)
I'm new to this list and Python in general, but I think that this sort
of things are always decided by Guido.
I think we have two options:

1) Simply start the contest and see what happens. If it attrackts many
competitors, I guess it will be considered by the core developers.
2) Ask for permition and let them define the rules.

Perhaps the BDFL is reading this thread and has something to say about
it?

Jul 18 '05 #32

P: n/a
EP
It's a great marketing idea. There was a thread recently on Python-dev
that started with a message from Guido, where he talks about a
seemingly persistent perception that exists in the specialized press
regarding Python as a flexible, nice, but generally slow (or slower
than the alternatives) language.

Perception of the press: Python is "flexible, nice, but generally slow"

Well, the snake mascot as drawn is, of course, very flexible, appears to befriendly, and is, well, just how fast is a big snake, esp. a python? It'll get there, slithering along, but it doesn't really conjure up a "beaming"between two galaxies in a nanosecond image.

I like Monty (the snake), but perhaps there are liabilities arising from having a mascot (what is the mascot for C++?)

Of course all those speed comparisons on the web don't help either.

EP

"Fast enough is only fast enough for today, not for tomorrow's possibilities. Network speeds will increase by a magnitude, ahead of processing power - then code execution speed will be a limiting factor."

Oh, and while I'm wishing for the Moon, can I have a builtin Prolog/logic object. ;-)

hey, Python is better than I deserve: mucho thanks to Guido and the core Pythonistas...

Jul 18 '05 #33

P: n/a
EP wrote:
It's a great marketing idea. There was a thread recently on Python-dev
that started with a message from Guido, where he talks about a
seemingly persistent perception that exists in the specialized press
regarding Python as a flexible, nice, but generally slow (or slower
than the alternatives) language.


Perception of the press: Python is "flexible, nice, but generally slow"


Which press? I know lots of programmers who have religious issues
about (against) Python believe this, or claim to, or want to, but
I haven't seen a lot of "press" coverage of Python's supposed slowness...

Or was this just a guess on your part?

-Peter
Jul 18 '05 #34

P: n/a
Please note that to make something official, it has to be passed
through the Python Software Foundation, which holds the intellectual
property for Python and is responsible for trademarks associated with
the language.

If you're serious about doing this, you may want to email "psf at
python dot org" to get information from the board of directors (I'm one
of them, BTW, but I can't speak for the whole group).

It would be nice to have a single strongly identifiable visual
trademark for Python. There are many icons/logos that people have
invented but none that's "official" and having many tends to dilute the
ability to build a strong well-known visual trademark.

- Stephan

Jul 18 '05 #35

P: n/a
In message <ma**************************************@python.o rg>, EP
<EP@zomething.com> writes
Well, the snake mascot as drawn is, of course, very flexible, appears
to be friendly, and is, well, just how fast is a big snake, esp. a
python?


I don't know about Pythons but there is a black snake in Africa (a black
mamba?) that when it stands up is taller than a man. This snake can out
"run" a man in straight line or over rough ground. I saw a TV program
where they'd attached a camera to its head. Absolutely incredible
watching this thing whizzing through the undergrowth in search of a
mate. Don't think all snakes are slow - they aren't.

BTW. The suggestions - I like them, for what little that is worth.

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk
RSI Information: http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk/rsi.html
Jul 18 '05 #36

P: n/a
Stephan,

Since you're one of the directors of the Python Software Foundation,
could you let them know about this discussion in order to get their
approval?
If they agree, maybe you can tell us where and how to held the contest.

Just one thought:
I think that it would be good to not determine a deadline for the
contest.
We should let anyone submit their designs until a clear winner shows
up, or until Guido or the board of directors chooses a winner.

Jul 18 '05 #37

P: n/a
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:51:18 -0500, Peter Hansen <pe***@engcorp.com> wrote:
EP wrote:
It's a great marketing idea. There was a thread recently on Python-dev
that started with a message from Guido, where he talks about a
seemingly persistent perception that exists in the specialized press
regarding Python as a flexible, nice, but generally slow (or slower
than the alternatives) language.


Perception of the press: Python is "flexible, nice, but generally slow"


Which press? I know lots of programmers who have religious issues
about (against) Python believe this, or claim to, or want to, but
I haven't seen a lot of "press" coverage of Python's supposed slowness...

Or was this just a guess on your part?


Check Guido's original message on the topic, you can find it on
python-dev articles. It`s recenet -- possibly less than one week old.
He seemed to be sincerely concerned about it, having read an article
published at some prestigious academic journal (something from ACM or
IEEE, I think). If the BDFL wrote it, what more can I say? ;-)

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos
blog: http://rascunhosrotos.blogspot.com
blog: http://pythonnotes.blogspot.com
mail: ca********@gmail.com
mail: ca********@yahoo.com
Jul 18 '05 #38

P: n/a
> http://exogen.cwru.edu/python2.png

Wow, that's sharp!

Jul 18 '05 #39

P: n/a
I just noticed the link - are you at Case in Cleveland? I'm in
Brooklyn (OH).

Jul 18 '05 #40

P: n/a
"EP" <EP@zomething.com> writes:
(what is the mascot for C++?)


I can't seem to find a goatse link... (But I didn't try very hard.)

Nick

--
# sigmask || 0.2 || 20030107 || public domain || feed this to a python
print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),' Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')
Jul 18 '05 #41

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.