469,890 Members | 1,597 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 469,890 developers. It's quick & easy.

Paths question

I am having a problem with programming in perl using paths to style sheets
and other static pages. I need a little clarification

My scenario

root directory | - /var/www
html directory | - /html FULL PATH - /var/www/html
images dir | - /images -
/var/www/html/images
cgi-bin dir | - /cgi-bin -
/var/www/cgi-bin
perl scripts dir | -/perl -
/var/www/cgi-bin/perl

The PERL directory holds programs that create pages on the fly by reading
both dynamic data and snippets of the final html page. The page is assembled
by reading a snippet file and then inserting dynamic data and reading
another snippet. I PRINT the snippet to Standard Out which is the web page
itself.

My CSS page is stored in my /var/www/html directory. In my HTML text stored
in the /var/www/cgi-bin/perl, I use the statement:

<link href="html/base.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

Since normally everything is relative to the base directory "/var/www" I
would think that it should work but it does not.
If I use the full path it cant find the file
"/var/www/var/www/html/base.css" Which shows that it append the full path
name to the base directory.

How can I programmatically specify the path to my CSS sheets and for that
matter my images when I use them?

Thanks in advance
Jul 19 '05 #1
5 1577
Jim Rendant wrote:
I am having a problem with programming in perl using paths to style
sheets and other static pages. I need a little clarification
<snip>
<link href="html/base.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

--------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That shall be a URL, not a path on your file system. I would guess
"/base.css" or whatever you would type in the location bar of your
browser in order to read the style sheet.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Email: http://www.gunnar.cc/cgi-bin/contact.pl

Jul 19 '05 #2
m
Jim Rendant wrote:
<link href="html/base.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">


The problem may be that you're missing the correct address of
the link, but maybe not:

<link...> in generated pages doesn't always result in the link
being loaded into the page by the browser. Try sucking the CSS file
into a variable and writing it into the <head> of the HTML file between
<style> tags.
HTH
m
http://www.mbstevens.com/

Jul 19 '05 #3
m wrote:
<link...> in generated pages doesn't always result in the link
being loaded into the page by the browser.


That has never happened to me. Can you give us an example that
illustrates what you are saying?

Of course, the CSS file must be located in a directory that is
readable from the web. If it's not, it won't be loaded, but that would
be the case both with a generated and a static page.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Email: http://www.gunnar.cc/cgi-bin/contact.pl

Jul 19 '05 #4
m
Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
m wrote:
<link...> in generated pages doesn't always result in the link
being loaded into the page by the browser.

That has never happened to me. Can you give us an example that
illustrates what you are saying?

Of course, the CSS file must be located in a directory that is readable
from the web. If it's not, it won't be loaded, but that would be the
case both with a generated and a static page.


Thanks for spurring me on to further testing of this, Gunnar.
After running some tests over the past hour or so, I believe you
are right. Don't know what I was doing wrong in my other programs,
perhaps forgot to set the base address. At any rate, this promises to
simplify a couple of my programs considerably.

Cheers,
m

Jul 19 '05 #5
m wrote:
this promises to simplify a couple of my programs considerably.


Glad to be able to help. :)

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Email: http://www.gunnar.cc/cgi-bin/contact.pl

Jul 19 '05 #6

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

6 posts views Thread by JStrummer | last post: by
5 posts views Thread by Bill Davis | last post: by
7 posts views Thread by Travis Pupkin | last post: by
3 posts views Thread by Chris Kilmer | last post: by
5 posts views Thread by costantinos | last post: by
15 posts views Thread by Lars Eighner | last post: by
1 post views Thread by Waqarahmed | last post: by
reply views Thread by Salome Sato | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.