468,555 Members | 2,093 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 468,555 developers. It's quick & easy.

XSL <> converted into &lt; and &gt; in final HTML

I am having trouble having Google Adsense code stored in XSL converted
properly into HTML. The <> unfortunately become &lt; and &gt; and then
no longer work.

XSL code is:

<script type="text/javascript">
<![CDATA[
<!--
google_ad_client = "pub-5065036055322567";
google_ad_width = 728;
google_ad_height = 90;
google_ad_format = "728x90_as";
google_ad_channel ="";
google_page_url = document.location;
google_color_border = "0000FF";
google_color_bg = "FFFFFF";
google_color_link = "0000FF";
google_color_url = "0000FF";
google_color_text = "000000";
//-->
]]>
</script>
<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
</script>

Resulting HTML code is:

<script type="text/javascript">
&lt;!--
google_ad_client = "pub-5065036055322567";
google_ad_width = 728;
google_ad_height = 90;
google_ad_format = "728x90_as";
google_ad_channel ="";
google_page_url = document.location;
google_color_border = "0000FF";
google_color_bg = "FFFFFF";
google_color_link = "0000FF";
google_color_url = "0000FF";
google_color_text = "000000";
//--&gt;
</script>
<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
</script>

How do I fix this?

I get a similar problem when I try to have an XML description containing
html tags properly included into the meta description:

XML:
<meta name="description">
<xsl:attribute name="content">
<xsl:value-of select="definition"/>
</xsl:attribute>
</meta>
</meta>
XSL:
<meta name="description">
<xsl:attribute name="content">
<xsl:value-of select="definition"/>
</xsl:attribute>
</meta>
Results in HTML:
<meta name="description" content="&#xA; the &lt;a
href=&quot;../Activities.html&quot;&gt;activity&lt;/a&gt; consisting of
the cohesive collection of all&#xA; &lt;a
href=&quot;../../Tasks/Tasks.html&quot;&gt;tasks&lt;/a&gt; that are
primarily performed to produce the&#xA; &lt;a
href=&quot;../../../WorkProducts/RequirementsSet/Requirements/Requirements.html&quot;&gt;requirements&lt;/a&gt;
and other&#xA; &lt;a
href=&quot;../../../WorkProducts/RequirementsSet/RequirementsSet.html&quot;&gt;requirements
work products&lt;/a&gt; for an&#xA; &lt;a
href=&quot;../../../Endeavors/Endeavors.html&quot;&gt;endeavor&#xA;
&lt;/a&gt;"/>

How do I fix this so that it is properly included?

Jul 20 '05 #1
2 10082
Hi,
I am having trouble having Google Adsense code stored in XSL converted
properly into HTML. The <> unfortunately become &lt; and &gt; and then
no longer work.
What you are looking for is a way to disable output escaping.
XSL code is:

<script type="text/javascript">
<![CDATA[
<!--
google_ad_client = "pub-5065036055322567";
google_ad_width = 728;
google_ad_height = 90;
google_ad_format = "728x90_as";
google_ad_channel ="";
google_page_url = document.location;
google_color_border = "0000FF";
google_color_bg = "FFFFFF";
google_color_link = "0000FF";
google_color_url = "0000FF";
google_color_text = "000000";
//-->
]]>
</script>
From a (X)HTML point of view, I think this is a better (only valid?) way to include scripts in a document:
<script type="text/javascript">
<![CDATA[
google_ad_client = "pub-5065036055322567";
google_ad_width = 728;
google_ad_height = 90;
google_ad_format = "728x90_as";
google_ad_channel ="";
google_page_url = document.location;
google_color_border = "0000FF";
google_color_bg = "FFFFFF";
google_color_link = "0000FF";
google_color_url = "0000FF";
google_color_text = "000000";
]]>
</script>
Resulting HTML code is:
How do I fix this?
specify the 'cdata-section-elements' attribute:
<xsl:output cdata-section-elements="script"/>

I get a similar problem when I try to have an XML description containing
html tags properly included into the meta description:

Extract from the XSLT1.0 recommendation:
"It is an error for output escaping to be disabled for a text node that is used for something other than a text node in the result tree."
In this case, you try disbaling output escaping on an attribute. It is not possible with XSLT1.0
How do I fix this so that it is properly included?

AFAIK, the output returned is the only valid way to use '<' and '>' in attributes, so there isn't anything to 'fix'.
regards,
--
Joris Gillis (http://www.ticalc.org/cgi-bin/acct-v...i?userid=38041)
Spread the wiki (http://www.wikipedia.org)
Jul 20 '05 #2
Donald Firesmith wrote:
I am having trouble having Google Adsense code stored in XSL converted
properly into HTML. The <> unfortunately become &lt; and &gt; and then
no longer work.


http://www.ucc.ie/xml/#usecdata

///Peter
--
"The cat in the box is both a wave and a particle"
-- Terry Pratchett, introducing quantum physics in _The Authentic Cat_
Jul 20 '05 #3

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

4 posts views Thread by higabe | last post: by
2 posts views Thread by Francesco Moi | last post: by
3 posts views Thread by shaun roe | last post: by
6 posts views Thread by tentstitcher | last post: by
3 posts views Thread by webmasterATflymagnetic.com | last post: by
reply views Thread by NPC403 | last post: by
1 post views Thread by UniDue | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.