470,849 Members | 1,254 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 470,849 developers. It's quick & easy.

Performance of a Webservice when it is pounded by Data ?

Hi all,

I have written a web service that receives large volume of data from
consumers and process this data.

When a consumer is sending large data (say xml files of 50KB) at frequent
interval (say 50ms) for long period of time (5sec continously) i find that
the method is not receiving all the data.

This behaviour is not observed when consumer is sending small volume of data
for frequent interval or large volume of data in long interval

Can some one please guide me in this problem ?

Regards
Hari
Jun 23 '06 #1
3 1034
Hi Hari,

This sounds very strange.

When you say the method is not receiving all the data - is it erroring
due to malformation or is the input still well formed?

Also - how are you injecting this load?

Josh
http://www.thejoyofcode.com/
Hari wrote:
Hi all,

I have written a web service that receives large volume of data from
consumers and process this data.

When a consumer is sending large data (say xml files of 50KB) at frequent
interval (say 50ms) for long period of time (5sec continously) i find that
the method is not receiving all the data.

This behaviour is not observed when consumer is sending small volume of data
for frequent interval or large volume of data in long interval

Can some one please guide me in this problem ?

Regards
Hari


Jun 26 '06 #2
Hi Josh,

The input is well formed.

I am injecting this load by creating a console app that will call the web
service every 50msec with data of 50kb. the app does this for 5 sec

I also read in an article that IIS 5.1 in Windows XP will support only 10
simaltaneous client connection. can this be a possible cause.

Regards
Hari

"Josh Twist" wrote:
Hi Hari,

This sounds very strange.

When you say the method is not receiving all the data - is it erroring
due to malformation or is the input still well formed?

Also - how are you injecting this load?

Josh
http://www.thejoyofcode.com/
Hari wrote:
Hi all,

I have written a web service that receives large volume of data from
consumers and process this data.

When a consumer is sending large data (say xml files of 50KB) at frequent
interval (say 50ms) for long period of time (5sec continously) i find that
the method is not receiving all the data.

This behaviour is not observed when consumer is sending small volume of data
for frequent interval or large volume of data in long interval

Can some one please guide me in this problem ?

Regards
Hari


Jun 26 '06 #3
Windows XP's IIS is throttled, but I wouldn't expect this to cause
truncation of data - the request would just be denied by IIS
altogether.

What's even stranger is that the data that is coming though in your
request is still well-formed!! What does the data look like?

I'd probably start looking at intercepting some of the messages and be
sure that the injection is occuring properly. Since you're working
locally you could use the excellent fiddler as a proxy to intercept
those messages http://www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler/

Josh
http://www.thejoyofcode.com/

Hari wrote:
Hi Josh,

The input is well formed.

I am injecting this load by creating a console app that will call the web
service every 50msec with data of 50kb. the app does this for 5 sec

I also read in an article that IIS 5.1 in Windows XP will support only 10
simaltaneous client connection. can this be a possible cause.

Regards
Hari

"Josh Twist" wrote:
Hi Hari,

This sounds very strange.

When you say the method is not receiving all the data - is it erroring
due to malformation or is the input still well formed?

Also - how are you injecting this load?

Josh
http://www.thejoyofcode.com/
Hari wrote:
Hi all,

I have written a web service that receives large volume of data from
consumers and process this data.

When a consumer is sending large data (say xml files of 50KB) at frequent
interval (say 50ms) for long period of time (5sec continously) i find that
the method is not receiving all the data.

This behaviour is not observed when consumer is sending small volume of data
for frequent interval or large volume of data in long interval

Can some one please guide me in this problem ?

Regards
Hari



Jun 26 '06 #4

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

2 posts views Thread by Islamegy® | last post: by
3 posts views Thread by =?Utf-8?B?SXbDoW4gUMOpcmV6?= | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.