468,719 Members | 1,798 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 468,719 developers. It's quick & easy.

What's with VC++ 2005 Standard?

Hi all,

I've been trying to find some info on Visual C++ 2005 Standard on
Microsoft's site, but wasn't able to find any. There's only VC++ 2005
Express Edition, and Visual Studio 2005 Standard, Professional and Team
System. What is the future of VC++ 2005 Standard? Can I somehow buy only
VC++ in VS 2005 Standard?
Jan 23 '06 #1
7 1504
Mihajlo Cvetanovic wrote:
Hi all,

I've been trying to find some info on Visual C++ 2005 Standard on
Microsoft's site, but wasn't able to find any. There's only VC++ 2005
Express Edition, and Visual Studio 2005 Standard, Professional and
Team System. What is the future of VC++ 2005 Standard? Can I somehow
buy only VC++ in VS 2005 Standard?


No, you cannot. The only stand-alone version of VC++ is the Express
Edition..

-cd
Jan 23 '06 #2

"Mihajlo Cvetanovic" <ma*@RnEeMtOsVeEt.co.yu> wrote in message
news:em**************@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
Hi all,

I've been trying to find some info on Visual C++ 2005 Standard on
Microsoft's site, but wasn't able to find any. There's only VC++ 2005
Express Edition, and Visual Studio 2005 Standard, Professional and Team
System. What is the future of VC++ 2005 Standard? Can I somehow buy only
VC++ in VS 2005 Standard?


To add emphasis to what Carl told you correctly, The Express Editions are
the 2005 descendants of the 2002/2003 Standard language editions. The
Express Editions can be downloaded at no cost here (so it costs you nothing
to see if VC++ Express will suit you):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/
--
Peter [MVP Visual Developer]
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Jan 24 '06 #3
pvdg42 wrote:
"Mihajlo Cvetanovic" <ma*@RnEeMtOsVeEt.co.yu> wrote in message
news:em**************@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

To add emphasis to what Carl told you correctly, The Express Editions are
the 2005 descendants of the 2002/2003 Standard language editions. The
Express Editions can be downloaded at no cost here (so it costs you nothing
to see if VC++ Express will suit you):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/


Thanks for the suggestion. I have just started the download and it will
take a while. It seems that I need to download Platform SDK as well, and
fiddle with the installation a bit, but putting that aside there's only
one question: what functionality of the VC++ 2003 Std is not supported
in VC++ 2005 Express? Any comments on that?
Jan 25 '06 #4

Mihajlo Cvetanovic wrote:
pvdg42 wrote:
"Mihajlo Cvetanovic" <ma*@RnEeMtOsVeEt.co.yu> wrote in message
news:em**************@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

To add emphasis to what Carl told you correctly, The Express Editions are
the 2005 descendants of the 2002/2003 Standard language editions. The
Express Editions can be downloaded at no cost here (so it costs you nothing
to see if VC++ Express will suit you):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/


Thanks for the suggestion. I have just started the download and it will
take a while. It seems that I need to download Platform SDK as well, and
fiddle with the installation a bit, but putting that aside there's only
one question: what functionality of the VC++ 2003 Std is not supported
in VC++ 2005 Express? Any comments on that?


MFC and ATL will be the most missing features I guess.

On the other hand, VC2005 Express give you the optimizing compiler,
which was lacking in VC2003 Standard.

Arnaud
MVP - VC

Jan 25 '06 #5
ad******@club-internet.fr wrote:
MFC and ATL will be the most missing features I guess.

On the other hand, VC2005 Express give you the optimizing compiler,
which was lacking in VC2003 Standard.


Lack of MFC really is a misfortune. Is there a way to install it
separately, as with SDK? Or some other free library with wizard support?
Jan 25 '06 #6
Mihajlo Cvetanovic wrote:
ad******@club-internet.fr wrote:
MFC and ATL will be the most missing features I guess.

On the other hand, VC2005 Express give you the optimizing compiler,
which was lacking in VC2003 Standard.
Lack of MFC really is a misfortune. Is there a way to install it
separately, as with SDK?

Not that I am aware of : MFC are to be payed.
Or some other free library with wizard
support?

There are plenty of available GUI libraries, which most of the time have a
far better object conception that MFC, but lack the "cool & pretty" wizards
and ease of use from within VC :
- ATL + WTL
- Win32GUI
- QT
etc...

Arnaud
MVP - VC
Jan 25 '06 #7
Lack of MFC really is a misfortune. Is there a way to install it
separately, as with SDK?

Not that I am aware of : MFC are to be payed.


that's not 100 % correct.
MFC 4.2 is installed with the Windows DDK. you can download it for free
these days, so you'd get free MFC.
This version of MFC is not the latest one, but for standard things it will
work.

that still won't give you the wizards in VC express, but you will probably
be able to build existing MFC programs, even if it is against a previous
version.

the DDK team was looking into bringing MFC up to date, according to a post
in the DDK list, but that's only a future possibility.

atl2.1 and atl3.0 are included as well.

kind regards,
Bruno.
Jan 25 '06 #8

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

22 posts views Thread by Alper AKCAYOZ | last post: by
6 posts views Thread by John Gabriel | last post: by
5 posts views Thread by Filippo Bettinaglio | last post: by
5 posts views Thread by =?Utf-8?B?TWFuanJlZSBHYXJn?= | last post: by
1 post views Thread by CARIGAR | last post: by
9 posts views Thread by bryonone | last post: by
reply views Thread by zhoujie | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.