By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
434,949 Members | 2,085 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 434,949 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

MS Access, MySQL & MyODBC .....

P: n/a
Hi,

Has anyone had this problem ?

I am using MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver, with MS Access 2003 and MySQL 4.1.11
standard log.
I created my tables in MS Access, then exported them via ODBC to an
externally hosted MySQL database (fasthosts) . I then import-linked
them back into my MS Access database.
Before I import linked them back, I edited the tables in MySQL so that
the PK & Autonumber was set and added a timestamp field.

The problem I seem to have is that when I use the Timestamp field in
MySQL, I cannot seem to update current records on my Access forms
without getting the error 'Reserved Error (-7776)'. If I remove the
Timestamp field, the error goes away, but then I get the usual #Deleted
problem when adding records etc.

I know the timestamp is required, but I cannot seem to get arround this
unknown error ?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

David

Mar 16 '06 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
1 Reply


P: n/a
<go********@googlemail.com> wrote in message
news:11**********************@j52g2000cwj.googlegr oups.com...
Hi,

Has anyone had this problem ?

I am using MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver, with MS Access 2003 and MySQL 4.1.11
standard log.
I created my tables in MS Access, then exported them via ODBC to an
externally hosted MySQL database (fasthosts) . I then import-linked
them back into my MS Access database.
Before I import linked them back, I edited the tables in MySQL so that
the PK & Autonumber was set and added a timestamp field.

The problem I seem to have is that when I use the Timestamp field in
MySQL, I cannot seem to update current records on my Access forms
without getting the error 'Reserved Error (-7776)'. If I remove the
Timestamp field, the error goes away, but then I get the usual #Deleted
problem when adding records etc.

I know the timestamp is required, but I cannot seem to get arround this
unknown error ?

**** Before I import linked them back, I edited the tables in MySQL so that
the PK & Autonumber was set and added a timestamp field.

****
Your Access linked table needs to be informed about structural changes you
make to the MySQL database table. Your linked Access table will not
automatically be aware of new or altered fields in MySQL. Change a field
definition or add a new one and I would expect quirky errors to pop up such
as you describe.

One way to force Access to notice the new table structure would be to,
rudely and crudely, delete the linked table and then link it back again.

OR

You can use the Access utility (if it is installed!) from the menu
[Tools_Utilities_Linked Table Manager_Update Linked Tables] . This will
prompt Access to note structural changes and update the linked table
information accordingly.

Thomas Bartkus
Mar 16 '06 #2

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.