By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
438,447 Members | 1,172 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 438,447 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Netscape and xhtml

P: n/a
My question is why netscape doesn't seem to support a style definition in a
table?

I have my pages as valid xhtml1.0, and still netscape is not folowing
orders..

<table style="text-align:center;">
<tr>
<td>&nbsp;</td>
</tr>
</table>

is NOT working for netscape

<table align="center">
<tr>
<td>&nbsp;</td>
</tr>
</table>

IS working for NN7.1 ?!?!

Why does this happen? W3C says about the "align" tag: "Deprecated. Use
styles instead."

Is it because NN7.1 isn't made for a webstandard like XHTML or is NN7.1 not
YET made for XHTML support?
Jul 20 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
9 Replies


P: n/a
Sector024 Media wrote:
My question is why netscape doesn't seem to support a style definition in
a table?

I have my pages as valid xhtml1.0, and still netscape is not folowing
orders..

<table style="text-align:center;">
What do you expect to happen?
http://dorward.me.uk/www/centre/ might be useful.
Is it because NN7.1 isn't made for a webstandard like XHTML or is NN7.1
not YET made for XHTML support?


Netscape supports XHTML, Internet Explorer doesn't (unless you claim its
really HTML)

--
David Dorward <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/> <http://dorward.me.uk/>
Jul 20 '05 #2

P: n/a

"David Dorward" <do*****@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
news:c7*******************@news.demon.co.uk...
Sector024 Media wrote:
My question is why netscape doesn't seem to support a style definition in a table?

I have my pages as valid xhtml1.0, and still netscape is not folowing
orders..

<table style="text-align:center;">


What do you expect to happen?
http://dorward.me.uk/www/centre/ might be useful.
Is it because NN7.1 isn't made for a webstandard like XHTML or is NN7.1
not YET made for XHTML support?


Netscape supports XHTML, Internet Explorer doesn't (unless you claim its
really HTML)

--
David Dorward <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/> <http://dorward.me.uk/>


The thing is, that i needed to align a table, which works fine in IE (using
the style="" tag) but it doesn't work in NN..
I needed to put the normale align="center" in the table to center it.. other
options didn't work (even when the table was placed inside a <div
style="text-align:center;"> tag.

My question is, why (if NN has this behaviour) the normale align="center"
tag is deprecated by W3C?
On their website they say: 'Deprecated. Use styles instead.'
Jul 20 '05 #3

P: n/a
On Sat, 08 May 2004 10:58:59 +0200, Sector024 Media wrote:

"David Dorward" <do*****@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
news:c7*******************@news.demon.co.uk...
Sector024 Media wrote:
> My question is why netscape doesn't seem to support a style definition in > a table?
>
> I have my pages as valid xhtml1.0, and still netscape is not folowing
> orders..
>
> <table style="text-align:center;">


What do you expect to happen?
http://dorward.me.uk/www/centre/ might be useful.
> Is it because NN7.1 isn't made for a webstandard like XHTML or is NN7.1
> not YET made for XHTML support?


Netscape supports XHTML, Internet Explorer doesn't (unless you claim its
really HTML)


The thing is, that i needed to align a table, which works fine in IE (using
the style="" tag) but it doesn't work in NN..
I needed to put the normale align="center" in the table to center it.. other
options didn't work (even when the table was placed inside a <div
style="text-align:center;"> tag.

My question is, why (if NN has this behaviour) the normale align="center"
tag is deprecated by W3C?
On their website they say: 'Deprecated. Use styles instead.'


Yes. You have misinterpreted *which* style to use. "text-align: center"
centers the contents of an element, not the element itself. To center a
block element, set both horizontal margins to the same size; if you don't
have a size in mind, 'auto' will center using up as much space as needed
on either side.

Internet Explorer gets this wrong (except IE 6 in Standards mode; ask
others, as I don't believe in browser quirks). In general, if something
displays differently in Mozilla (on which Netscape 7.1 is based) and IE,
or in Opera and IE, or in pretty much any modern browser and IE, it's safe
to assume IE's rendering is incorrect.

There are exceptions, but there aren't that many.

--
Some say the Wired doesn't have political borders like the real world,
but there are far too many nonsense-spouting anarchists or idiots who
think that pranks are a revolution.

Jul 20 '05 #4

P: n/a
Sector024 Media wrote:
> <table style="text-align:center;">
What do you expect to happen?
http://dorward.me.uk/www/centre/ might be useful.

The thing is, that i needed to align a table, which works fine in IE
(using the style="" tag) but it doesn't work in NN..
It shouldn't work anywhere, see the document I referenced.
My question is, why (if NN has this behaviour) the normale align="center"
tag is deprecated by W3C?
On their website they say: 'Deprecated. Use styles instead.'


The deprecation of HTML elements and attributes (in this case) is because
HTML is the wrong tool for the job and it should be done using CSS, not
because of any particular level of browsers support.

That said, it is your CSS and Internet Explorer's handling of it that is at
fault here, not Netscape. See the document I referenced.

--
David Dorward <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/> <http://dorward.me.uk/>
Jul 20 '05 #5

P: n/a

"David Dorward" <do*****@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
news:c7*******************@news.demon.co.uk...
Sector024 Media wrote:
> <table style="text-align:center;">

What do you expect to happen?
http://dorward.me.uk/www/centre/ might be useful.
The thing is, that i needed to align a table, which works fine in IE
(using the style="" tag) but it doesn't work in NN..
It shouldn't work anywhere, see the document I referenced.
My question is, why (if NN has this behaviour) the normale

align="center" tag is deprecated by W3C?
On their website they say: 'Deprecated. Use styles instead.'


The deprecation of HTML elements and attributes (in this case) is because
HTML is the wrong tool for the job and it should be done using CSS, not
because of any particular level of browsers support.

That said, it is your CSS and Internet Explorer's handling of it that is

at fault here, not Netscape. See the document I referenced.

--
David Dorward <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/> <http://dorward.me.uk/>


Ok, it seems more clear now..
I have looked @ the doc David referred to.

Thanks for your replies, i will sudy some more :)
(starting @ david's website)
greetings
Jul 20 '05 #6

P: n/a
Sector024 Media <in**@sector024.nl> wrote:
My question is why netscape doesn't seem to support a style definition in a
table?

I have my pages as valid xhtml1.0, and still netscape is not folowing
orders..

<table style="text-align:center;">
<tr>
<td>&nbsp;</td>
</tr>
</table>


Did you try:

<p "text-align:center;">
<table>
...
</table>
</p>

?

--
_Deirdre http://deirdre.net
"Ideally pacing should look like the stock market for the year 1999, up
and up and up, but with lots of little dips downwards...."
-- Wen Spencer on plotting a novel
Jul 20 '05 #7

P: n/a
Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
Sector024 Media <in**@sector024.nl> wrote:
My question is why netscape doesn't seem to support a style definition in
a table?

I have my pages as valid xhtml1.0, and still netscape is not folowing
orders..

<table style="text-align:center;">
<tr>
<td>&nbsp;</td>
</tr>
</table>


Did you try:

<p "text-align:center;">
<table>
...
</table>
</p>


Even if you assume you intended the first line to be <p style="text-align:
center;"> this still isn't valid HTML. You can't put <table> inside <p>.

--
Shawn K. Quinn
Jul 20 '05 #8

P: n/a
Shawn K. Quinn <sk*****@xevious.kicks-ass.net> wrote:
Even if you assume you intended the first line to be <p style="text-align:
center;"> this still isn't valid HTML. You can't put <table> inside <p>.


Ah, I was trying to remember if that was valid, but a quick look didn't
offer the answer to that. I'm away from my usual library, alas.

--
_Deirdre http://deirdre.net
"Ideally pacing should look like the stock market for the year 1999, up
and up and up, but with lots of little dips downwards...."
-- Wen Spencer on plotting a novel
Jul 20 '05 #9

P: n/a
> Sector024 Media <in**@sector024.nl> wrote:
My question is why netscape doesn't seem to support a style definition in a table?

I have my pages as valid xhtml1.0, and still netscape is not folowing
orders..

<table style="text-align:center;">
<tr>
<td>&nbsp;</td>
</tr>
</table>


Try <table style="margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto;">

Netscape 7 is doing the right thing. IE is not.


Jul 20 '05 #10

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.