By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
425,600 Members | 1,683 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 425,600 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Chapters and Sections in LINK

P: n/a
What exactly are Chapters and Sections in the <LINK REL=...>
tag? I have put some <LINK REL="Chapter"> tags into
http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nht...onal-text.html

Is this the intended use? If not - how are Chapters and Sections
supposed to be used? Are there any good examples?

Aug 23 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
6 Replies


P: n/a
In article
<Pi**************************************@s5b004.r rzn-user.uni-hannover.
de>,
Andreas Prilop <nh******@rrzn-user.uni-hannover.de> wrote:
What exactly are Chapters and Sections in the <LINK REL=...>
tag? Are there any good examples?


I am aware of one example:
http://ethesis.helsinki.fi/julkaisut.../eiookaht.html

--
Henri Sivonen
hs******@iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/
Mozilla Web Author FAQ: http://mozilla.org/docs/web-developer/faq.html
Aug 23 '05 #2

P: n/a
Henri Sivonen wrote:
Andreas Prilop <nh******@rrzn-user.uni-hannover.de> wrote:
What exactly are Chapters and Sections in the <LINK REL=...>
tag?

Are there any good examples?


I am aware of one example:
http://ethesis.helsinki.fi/julkaisut.../eiookaht.html


It's a simple example: a page that acts as a table of content for some
material (a master's thesis), containing a normal list of links to
next-level pages - and with these links duplicated as <link
rel="chapter" ...> elements.

The <link> elements are thus redundant, and most users will not notice
their presence in any way. If you use Mozilla (the beast, not Firefox),
you can (if you have Site Navigation Bar enabled) click on the button
"Document" to see a menu with entries "Chapters" and "Appendices"
enabled, and under "Chapters" you can find the same links as on the
page. I fail to see the usefulness of this duplication.

If the <link> elements specified _sections_ as well (pointing to
second-level headings on each subpage), they would have some added
value: you could get directly to section 1.3 from the main page, even
though the table of content on the page is one-level only. I wonder how
many people would use that, though.

On the (even) more theoretical side, it seems that the concepts of
"chapter" and "section" have not been defined well in the HTML
specifications. Generally, the specs are rather implicit about the
meanings of rel="..." values. The most reasonable interpretation is that
rel="chapter" and rel="section" imply the existence of a composite,
book-like document, which normally consists of several pages (though it
could be a single page), and rel="chapter" refers to a major (top-level)
structural part of a document, whereas rel="section" refers to a
second-level structural part (component of a chapter).

On the page Andreas mentioned,
http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nht...onal-text.html
(which is, by the way, worth reading to anyone who needs to know about
directional text in HTML)
I think the <link rel="chapter" ...> elements are correct by any
reasonable criteria, and marginally useful: a user who can make use of
them can access the table of content, which does not exist on the page
itself. On the other hand, it might be better to include the table of
content explicitly, e.g. as a floating box on the right (which is the
way I favor these days - it provides an overview without disturbing too
much those people who just want to get started with the content, I think).

The parts of Andreas' page are short and surely not like chapters in a
book, so someone might say they are sections, or even subsections. This
really depends on the terminology used, and the terminology may vary by
the type of publication. This is one reason why "chapter" and "section"
are vague values.
Aug 23 '05 #3

P: n/a
Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
The <link> elements are thus redundant, and most users will not notice
their presence in any way. If you use Mozilla (the beast, not Firefox),
you can (if you have Site Navigation Bar enabled) click on the button
"Document" to see a menu with entries "Chapters" and "Appendices"
enabled, and under "Chapters" you can find the same links as on the
page.


For Firefox there is the Link Toolbar extension
Aug 24 '05 #4

P: n/a
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

[...]
On the (even) more theoretical side, it seems that the concepts of
"chapter" and "section" have not been defined well in the HTML
specifications.
Indeed. It looks as if "Chapter" and "Section" (and "Subsection")
define just a flat structure - whereas in practice, if fully used, one
would expect sections to be subdivisions of a chapter, and subsections
to be subdivisions of a section, in such a way as to be best presented
as a 3-level hierarchy. But the markup doesn't have any way to show
this, so I can't imagine how a browser could be expected to implement
anything other than flat lists of chapters, sections, and subsections,
which would rapidly get out of hand for a work of any magnitude.
The parts of Andreas' page are short and surely not like chapters in
a book, so someone might say they are sections,


My thoughts too... but otherwise Andreas' page worked well on
Mozilla. The navigation also works acceptably on Lynx, although this
particular page itself isn't useful, at least not on the version of
Lynx that I tried!

cheers
Aug 24 '05 #5

P: n/a
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
The parts of Andreas' page are short and surely not like chapters in a
book, so someone might say they are sections, or even subsections.


It's rather a test of <LINK> than a necessary or useful navigation.
My points were:
- What is "bigger", Chapter or Section?
- Is it okay to link to anchors in the same page?
All other examples seem to link only to different pages.

Aug 24 '05 #6

P: n/a
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 18:31:48 +0200, Andreas Prilop
<nh******@rrzn-user.uni-hannover.de> wrote:
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
The parts of Andreas' page are short and surely not like chapters in a
book, so someone might say they are sections, or even subsections.


It's rather a test of <LINK> than a necessary or useful navigation.
My points were:
- What is "bigger", Chapter or Section?
- Is it okay to link to anchors in the same page?
All other examples seem to link only to different pages.


My own OPINION -- as Alan Flavell says, this does not seem to be
defined anywhere -- is that Chapter is bigger than Section, and it's
okay to link in the same page. But I haven't been consistent with
this myself, I confess.

I do use Chapter links in my Trig Without Tears
<http://oakroadsystems.com/twt/>, and each Chapter is a separate
page.

But in my very long FAQ of the Rings, a single page
<http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/ringfaq.htm>, each section is a
Section link not a Chapter link.

Maybe I think of a Chapter as roughly an <h1> and a Section as an
<h2>.

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
validator: http://validator.w3.org/
CSS 2.1 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/
validator: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
Why We Won't Help You:
http://diveintomark.org/archives/200..._wont_help_you
Aug 25 '05 #7

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.