473,388 Members | 1,109 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,388 software developers and data experts.

Quick way to convert int to array of numbers

Hi all,
Say I have the int 123456789
What would be the quickest/best way to convert it to
int[]{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}

What I came up with was to determine the largest factor of 10 (100M)
divide by that, truncate decimals and that'd be the 1st number, subtract
that number multiplied by the current factor, next smallest factor etc..

But it seems very roundabout, surely there'd be a better way :)

TIA

JB
Jun 27 '08 #1
9 1471
"John B" <jb******@yahoo.comwrote:
Say I have the int 123456789
What would be the quickest/best way to convert it to
int[]{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}
I think this is the most readable way:

int[] x = new int[s.Length];
for (int i = 0; i < s.Length; i++)
{
x[i] = Convert.ToInt32(s[i]);
}

Unless this is really a performance bottleneck, there's no need to do
anything cleverer.

Eq.
Jun 27 '08 #2
Paul E Collins wrote:
"John B" <jb******@yahoo.comwrote:
>Say I have the int 123456789
What would be the quickest/best way to convert it to
int[]{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}

I think this is the most readable way:

int[] x = new int[s.Length];
for (int i = 0; i < s.Length; i++)
{
x[i] = Convert.ToInt32(s[i]);
}

Unless this is really a performance bottleneck, there's no need to do
anything cleverer.

Yep, except its an actual long so I just convert with ToString to begin
with.
Its not at all a bottleneck but its very strange as I have had one
instance where I got an "Input string was not in a correct format" on
int.Parse

The actual code is

//value is a long
string sVal = value.ToString();
for (int i = sVal.Length - 1; i >= 0; i--)
{
int iVal = int.Parse(sVal[i].ToString()); //Here is where the
exception was raised.
//...Do some validation
}

So I thought it'd just be easier to not convert them to a string and
just treat them as int all the time.
Of course this happened at a client site and I cannot reproduce it here :)

Cheers

JB
Jun 27 '08 #3
John B wrote:
Say I have the int 123456789
What would be the quickest/best way to convert it to
int[]{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}

What I came up with was to determine the largest factor of 10 (100M)
divide by that, truncate decimals and that'd be the 1st number, subtract
that number multiplied by the current factor, next smallest factor etc..

But it seems very roundabout, surely there'd be a better way :)
I would say that it is easier/more readable to do:

for(int i = 0; i < n; i++)
{
digs[n-i-1] = tmp % 10;
tmp /= 10;
}

Arne
Jun 27 '08 #4
"John B" <jb******@yahoo.comwrote:
Yep, except its an actual long so I just convert with ToString to
begin with.
Its not at all a bottleneck but its very strange as I have had one
instance where I got an "Input string was not in a correct format" on
int.Parse
You probably had "NaN" (zero divided by zero) or "Infinity" (anything
else divided by zero). You won't be able to convert those strings to an
integer.

Eq.
Jun 27 '08 #5
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 19:31:26 -0700, Paul E Collins
<fi******************@CL4.orgwrote:
"John B" <jb******@yahoo.comwrote:
>Yep, except its an actual long so I just convert with ToString to
begin with.
Its not at all a bottleneck but its very strange as I have had one
instance where I got an "Input string was not in a correct format" on
int.Parse

You probably had "NaN" (zero divided by zero) or "Infinity" (anything
else divided by zero). You won't be able to convert those strings to an
integer.
Those should only apply to floating point values. Assuming he started
with an int or a long, that shouldn't have happened.

Taking as granted that it did happen, I guess that suggests that the
actual code was wrong. For sure, in theory code that starts with an int,
converts to a string, and parses each character individually to convert
back to an array of ints, should never fail.

Of course, without seeing his actual code that failed, it's not possible
to say what was actually wrong with it. Assuming the code he posted is in
fact the actual code, or at least reasonably close to it, I think it's
more likely that he had a negative number and the conversion failed on the
minus sign. That'd be easy enough to deal with, but of course it begs the
question as to what the actual result in his code should be.

Pete
Jun 27 '08 #6
Peter Duniho wrote:
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 19:31:26 -0700, Paul E Collins
<fi******************@CL4.orgwrote:
>"John B" <jb******@yahoo.comwrote:
>>Yep, except its an actual long so I just convert with ToString to
begin with.
Its not at all a bottleneck but its very strange as I have had one
instance where I got an "Input string was not in a correct format" on
int.Parse

You probably had "NaN" (zero divided by zero) or "Infinity" (anything
else divided by zero). You won't be able to convert those strings to an
integer.

Those should only apply to floating point values. Assuming he started
with an int or a long, that shouldn't have happened.

Taking as granted that it did happen, I guess that suggests that the
actual code was wrong. For sure, in theory code that starts with an
int, converts to a string, and parses each character individually to
convert back to an array of ints, should never fail.

Of course, without seeing his actual code that failed, it's not possible
to say what was actually wrong with it. Assuming the code he posted is
in fact the actual code, or at least reasonably close to it, I think
*****
it's more likely that he had a negative number and the conversion failed
on the minus sign. That'd be easy enough to deal with, but of course it
******
<....>
Thanks Peter, that must've been it.
I have now added a check to ensure that negative numbers are flagged as
invalid to prevent this from happening again.

The actual code is just for validating the IMEI of a phone.

Thanks,

JB
Jun 27 '08 #7
John B wrote:
Peter Duniho wrote:
>On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 19:31:26 -0700, Paul E Collins
<fi******************@CL4.orgwrote:
>>"John B" <jb******@yahoo.comwrote:

Yep, except its an actual long so I just convert with ToString to
begin with.
Its not at all a bottleneck but its very strange as I have had one
instance where I got an "Input string was not in a correct format"
on int.Parse

You probably had "NaN" (zero divided by zero) or "Infinity"
(anything else divided by zero). You won't be able to convert those
strings to an integer.

Those should only apply to floating point values. Assuming he
started with an int or a long, that shouldn't have happened.

Taking as granted that it did happen, I guess that suggests that the
actual code was wrong. For sure, in theory code that starts with an
int, converts to a string, and parses each character individually to
convert back to an array of ints, should never fail.

Of course, without seeing his actual code that failed, it's not
possible to say what was actually wrong with it. Assuming the code
he posted is in fact the actual code, or at least reasonably close
to it, I think ***** it's more likely that he had a negative number
and the conversion failed on the minus sign. That'd be easy enough
to deal with, but of course it
******
<....>
Thanks Peter, that must've been it.
I have now added a check to ensure that negative numbers are flagged
as invalid to prevent this from happening again.

The actual code is just for validating the IMEI of a phone.
That's probably long enough to overflow int.
>
Thanks,

JB

Jun 27 '08 #8
John B wrote:
Paul E Collins wrote:
>"John B" <jb******@yahoo.comwrote:
>>Say I have the int 123456789
What would be the quickest/best way to convert it to
int[]{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}

I think this is the most readable way:

int[] x = new int[s.Length];
for (int i = 0; i < s.Length; i++)
{
x[i] = Convert.ToInt32(s[i]);
}

Unless this is really a performance bottleneck, there's no need to do
anything cleverer.


Yep, except its an actual long so I just convert with ToString to
begin with.
Its not at all a bottleneck but its very strange as I have had one
instance where I got an "Input string was not in a correct format" on
int.Parse
Skip the Parse step, it's actually easier to convert the raw characters than
the integer.

int[] x = new int[s.Length];
int i = 0;
foreach (char c in s)
x[i++] = c - '0';
Jun 27 '08 #9
On Thu, 01 May 2008 06:37:31 -0700, Ben Voigt [C++ MVP]
<rb*@nospam.nospamwrote:
[...]
>I have now added a check to ensure that negative numbers are flagged
as invalid to prevent this from happening again.

The actual code is just for validating the IMEI of a phone.

That's probably long enough to overflow int.
He did write, in a more recent post, that his input was typed as long.
Though, he could be mistaken and somewhere along the line it's actually an
int. That would certainly explain why the number wound up negative at
some point.

Pete
Jun 27 '08 #10

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

0
by: Charles Arthur | last post by:
How do i turn on java script on a villaon, callus and itel keypad mobile phone
0
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
If we have dozens or hundreds of excel to import into the database, if we use the excel import function provided by database editors such as navicat, it will be extremely tedious and time-consuming...
0
by: emmanuelkatto | last post by:
Hi All, I am Emmanuel katto from Uganda. I want to ask what challenges you've faced while migrating a website to cloud. Please let me know. Thanks! Emmanuel
0
BarryA
by: BarryA | last post by:
What are the essential steps and strategies outlined in the Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA) roadmap for aspiring data scientists? How can individuals effectively utilize this roadmap to progress...
1
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
1
by: Sonnysonu | last post by:
This is the data of csv file 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 the lengths should be different i have to store the data by column-wise with in the specific length. suppose the i have to...
0
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...
0
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can...
0
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.