By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
429,190 Members | 2,204 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 429,190 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Problems Using Localhost (Solved)

P: n/a
I solved my problem, but I am not sure whether or not I
understand how I arrived at the solution. I leraned about
and checked:

IIS> creating virtual directories> configuring web
extensions > AspNet installation> and installing the
lcoalhost web site.

When I used Aspnet_regiis.exe to repair IIS Mappings for
Asp.Net, my c:\drive directory was altered.
Aspnet_regiis.exe created some new folders that I did not
expect to see:

1)C:\Documents and settings\Administrator.My_Computer\,
this folder is currently empty and I assume that the
folder is the administrator's folder for the localhost
server which is now located and configured on my computer.

2)C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application
Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Recent, this also appears to
be a new folder, which is probably a folder for localhost
services. The Microsoft folder holds security.config and
secururity.config.cch;I found a mse.sln file in
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application
Data\Microsoft\Mse, along with other files, which are
obviously VB.Net 2003 files that help control acces and
confuration of ASP.Net projects on the localhost.
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application
Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Recent\Individual Projects
includes direct references to VB Basic.Net.

3)The directories and sub-directories, C:\Documents and
Settings\Luther\VSWebCache\my_computer were created by
Aspnet_regiis.exe.

The unknown:
The initial use of Aspnet_regiis.exe created mappings that
are inconsistent with what I now have. The original
mappings created a file folder and C:\Documents and
Settings\Administrator.my computer's name. At this point,
VB.Net 2003 still will not work. So, I continue to find a
solution.

Now, I used the one button check up in Norton Utilities. I
found some incorrect registry entries and used Norton
Utilites to repair the registry entries. I defragmented my
drives. Then, I removed and re-installed IIS and ran
Aspnet_regiis.exe.

When all this was done, I checked my the directory
listings to see what was altered. I could see the changes
on my c:\, which now include C:\Documents and
Settings\Administrator.NEXGEN, C:\Documents and
Settings\LocalService\Application
Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Recent\Individual Projects,
and C:\Documents,
Settings\Luther\VSWebCache\NEXGEN\WebCalculator\ob j\Debug,
and C:\Documents and Settings\NEXGEN\ASPNET\Templates. I
can only assume that these changes are word mapping, which
is a function of Aspnet_regiis.exe. So, these are clues
that the development environment changed. Time to try
again.

Not knowing what to expect or whether or not my efforts
were successful, I opened the windows explorer, opened
the folder C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\WebCalculator\ clicked on
the file WebCalculator.sln.

This file opened in VB.Net 2003 along with the project
WebCalculator. I did want to share this with other persons
who are not experienced or professional programmers with
huge resources to call upon when in need.

I re-installed IIS, ran Norton Utilities to check the
registry and defragmented my disks before re-running
Aspnet_regiis.exe to clean up my registry entries and disk
drives. Bad registry entries may have been the subtle
problem, which prevented Aspnet_regiis.exe from completing
its mapping function.

someone more astute with this should probably review my
comments as I am inexperienced with VB.Net. I made many
assumptions and arrived at a solution that I hope will
also help someone else.
Nov 18 '05 #1
Share this question for a faster answer!
Share on Google+

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.