473,414 Members | 1,690 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,414 software developers and data experts.

Freeing up memory by undefining perl variables

hi,
What is the difference between undef($variable_name) and
$vaiable_name = undef;? And is there any function in perl which dynamically deallocates the allocated memory for scalars? same question for lists and hashes.

Thanks & Regards,
Pavan Kumar
Sep 23 '08 #1
1 5209
KevinADC
4,059 Expert 2GB
undef(variable) completely deletes the variable

variable = undef assigns the undef value to a variable

As far as I know if you do something like this:

$foo = 'some value';
$foo = ''; <-- frees up memory

@foo = (1..1000000);
@foo = (); <-- frees up the memory

I am not sure if you undef(variable) it will free up the memory. I don't know if there is a module that frees up memory.
Sep 23 '08 #2

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: disco | last post by:
I am working on this example from a book "C Primer Plus" by Prata 4th edition - p. 672. There is no erata on this problem at the publisher's website. 1) Is it a violation of copyright laws to...
by: Rodrigo Dominguez | last post by:
there are sometimes that I use third party libraries, I use some functions that returns char * or structs, etc. sometimes the memory that is returned by those libraries, when I try to free this...
by: Fernando Cacciola | last post by:
Help me out here please: While watching Brad Abraham's MSDN TV talk about the Dispose pattern, refering to: public virtual void Dispose ( bool disposing ) { if ( disposing ) { <-- WHAT...
by: Atul Sureka | last post by:
Hi, I want to free the object memory in C# - like we do using 'delete' keyword in C++. Lets say I have an object of some class and I want to explicitly free the memory. C# do not have any free...
by: Amogh | last post by:
Hi, My question is related to setting freed pointers to NULL. After freeing a pointer: 1) Should the freeing routine also be responsible for setting the pointer to null? 2) Or, should the...
by: Chris | last post by:
I have a Bayesian simulation package that keeps running into memory allocation problems. I have a feeling this has something to do with Python (2.5.1.1) not freeing memory. The program essentially...
by: Praetorian | last post by:
This is actually 2 questions: The first one: I have a function (FuncA) calling another (FuncB) with a set of parameters which also includes an int * initialized to NULL before the call. Now...
by: Mad Hatter | last post by:
Hi folks I have a script which reads the mysql database,does a lot of string manipulation then writes its output to a file. The manipulation is all done in a separate function which is called...
by: vivek | last post by:
Hello, I have a pointer to a main structure which again consists of structures, enums, char, int, float and again complex structures. When i free all the contents of the main structure, it...
by: emmanuelkatto | last post by:
Hi All, I am Emmanuel katto from Uganda. I want to ask what challenges you've faced while migrating a website to cloud. Please let me know. Thanks! Emmanuel
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
by: Sonnysonu | last post by:
This is the data of csv file 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 the lengths should be different i have to store the data by column-wise with in the specific length. suppose the i have to...
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can...
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers,...
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each...
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing,...
by: conductexam | last post by:
I have .net C# application in which I am extracting data from word file and save it in database particularly. To store word all data as it is I am converting the whole word file firstly in HTML and...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.