473,461 Members | 2,001 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Create Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

IIS 500 Internal Error

Frinavale
9,735 Expert Mod 8TB
I thought it would be nice to share the solution to my IIS headache with the rest of the world.

I have developed a web application that has been distributed. Upon installing my application, some people encountered a "500 Internal Error" and of course blamed my software immediately (and got frustrated when uninstalling/reinstalling my software didn't fix the problem). Finally I was able to take a look at one of these computers and discovered that IIS was not working correctly at all.

I took a look at the Windows Event Log and found an error that had the brilliantly vague message:
Event ID: 36
Description:
"Failed to load application '/LM/W3SVC/1/Root'. The error was 'Class not Registered"
I researched this online and sure enough a lot of other people have experienced the same problem. One article said that when this error happens, typically you cannot expand the COM+ Applications tree in the Component Services module.
Sure enough, I found the same problem. Whenever I tried to expand this, an error message would pop up saying:
Catalog Error
"An error occurred while processing the last operation. Error Code 80080005 - Server execution failed".
In the Event Log I would find errors with the following details:

Event ID: 4689
Description:
"The runtime environment has detected an inconsistency in its internal state. This indicates a potential instability in the process that could be caused by the custom components running in the COM+ application, the components they make use of, or other factors."
Even though I followed many solutions listed online, I could not fix the problem with the COM+ applications and so my IIS 500 Internal Error persisted. (Many solutions involved permissions, starting and stopping services, or even so far as to have me delete and recreate registration entries)

Eventually, after rebooting, I found a new error in my event log:

Event ID: 4437
Description:
"The account that the MS DTC service is running under is invalid. This can happen if the service account information has been changed..."
The Distributed Transaction Coordinator (DTC or MSDTC) service is a component of Microsoft Windows that is responsible for coordinating transactions that span multiple resource managers, such as databases, message queues, and file systems.

I discovered that the DTC service was running under Local Service account. I researched what the correct account should be and discovered that it was supposed to be Network Services.

Apparently the DTC fails under any other account because the service cannot do mutual authentication together with other parties that are involved in the transaction. It must be run under the Network Services Account on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. You could change this account to validate against a domain controller or use a Windows User Account in the past (Windows 2000 and NT) but you cannot change this account in current versions of Windows (I'm assuming this extends to Vista etc as well).

After changing the DTC to run under the Windows Network Services account my COM+ problem was solved... I was able to reinstall IIS and there were no longer any 500 Internal Errors.

I hope this saves you the headache of researching the problem and trying the thousands of solutions google turns up....when it's just a simple account issue.

-Frinny
Jul 28 '08 #1
2 12261
great post! Saved me from having to do a re install!
Sep 5 '08 #2
Frinavale
9,735 Expert Mod 8TB
great post! Saved me from having to do a re install!
I'm glad it helped!

I've also found that, in some cases, the MSDTC component has been completely missing. In this case it's as simple as reinstalling MSDTC (the account has been set correctly in every case of reinstalling MSDTC)

-Frinny
Sep 5 '08 #3

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: paul calvert | last post by:
I hope somewhere here has encountered and solved a similar problem in the past. 1) on a new Win2000 PC: installed Visual C++ 6.0 download & install single file Service Pack 5.0 2) try to...
by: pj | last post by:
(Was originally, probably wrongly, posted to the vc subgroup.) (This doesn't appear to be a c# problem, but a problem with a bug in the Visual Studio c# compiler, but, any help will be welcome...)...
by: Ayende Rahien | last post by:
reparing resources... Updating references... Performing main compilation... error CS0583: Internal Compiler Error (0xc0000005 at address 53168B12): likely culprit is 'BIND'. An internal...
by: David Sworder | last post by:
Consider the following line of code (it's not important what it does): resp.DocItem=Relations.SelectDocItems_BySearchString(req.SearchPhrase); It turns out that this line is in error. The...
by: Chien Lau | last post by:
I frequently define internal UserControl-derived classes in my WinForms apps: internal class MyUserControl:UserControl{ ... } I'll often need to embed these controls in a Form, whose class...
by: pj | last post by:
Oh, I forgot to list the error messages; I would be delighted if someone could explain how to deduce which line number in which file is the one that the VC compiler cannot handle. Actually I'm...
by: Rod | last post by:
I have been working with ASP.NET 1.1 for quite a while now. For some reason, opening some ASP.NET applications we wrote is producing the following error message: "The Web server reported...
by: Jim Heavey | last post by:
Internal Compiler Error: stage 'BEGIN' Hello, I had an application which was working just fine and I decided to modify all database access within the application to utilizie a new Namespace that I...
by: mike_li | last post by:
On Window 2000 Professional Server DB2 UDB Level: DB2 code release "SQL07029" with level identifie "030A0105" and informational tokens "DB2 v7.1.0.98", "n040510" and "WR21337". In the...
by: dylan.miller | last post by:
I'm having trouble understanding the internal access modifier. There are many classes in my assembly that should not be accessible outside of the assembly. I've used the internal access modifier...
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However,...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can...
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers,...
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each...
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing,...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new...
by: TSSRALBI | last post by:
Hello I'm a network technician in training and I need your help. I am currently learning how to create and manage the different types of VPNs and I have a question about LAN-to-LAN VPNs. The...
by: adsilva | last post by:
A Windows Forms form does not have the event Unload, like VB6. What one acts like?

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.