473,467 Members | 1,454 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Create Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

c# - app - AD Group membership search crashes app for all users but me!

maxx233
32 New Member
I'm trying to get my program checking Active Directory to see if the user is a member of certain groups. I got it working, tested, etc. So I was very surprised when I deployed the program (just copying the .exe to their computer as I have in the past) and it wouldn't work for anyone!

I've tried it from multiple computers under multiple users, and it only runs under my username, but then works fine from any computer when *I* log in. I had a coworker with the same local and domain privileges and group memberships as me log into a computer and it wouldn't even work under her login! The group-checking function is done under a method called authenticateUser(), and if I just skip the call to that method the program works fine when deployed to all users - so that rules out file-level security. I'm fresh out of ideas and can't seem to find anything online. If anyone knows offhand what might be the problem that'd be great. Is there a way to debug from VS05 under a different user-name? That way I could at least track down more detail on the problem. Only other detail I can think to mention is that this is the first change I've made since migrating to a Vista machine, which I *hate* btw (still with VS05). Let me know if you have any ideas, my code is below:

Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. private void authenticateUser()
  2.         {
  3.              DirectoryEntry de = new DirectoryEntry();
  4.             de.Path = "WinNT://myDomain/" + SystemInformation.UserName.ToString() + ",user";
  5.             _Teller = de.Properties["FullName"].Value.ToString();
  6.             _Client = SystemInformation.ComputerName.ToString();
  7.             Program._Teller = _Teller;
  9. //THE ABOVE WORKS FINE TO FIND THE LOGGED-IN USER'S NAME, HAS BEEN IN PRODUCTION FOR SEVERAL VERSIONS
  11.             DirectoryEntry DE = new DirectoryEntry("LDAP://myDomain.com");
  12.             DirectorySearcher search = new DirectorySearcher();
  13.             search.SearchRoot = DE;
  14.             search.Filter = "(givenName=" + SystemInformation.UserName.ToString() + ")";
  15.             search.PropertiesToLoad.Add("memberOf");
  17. // THE ABOVE IS NEW, ALONG WITH ANYTHING RELATED BELOW
  19.             try
  20.             {
  21.                 SearchResult result = search.FindOne();
  23. //I THINK THE ABOVE LINE IS WHERE THE FAILURE ULTIMATELY OCCURS
  25.                 int propertyCount = result.Properties["memberOf"].Count;
  26.                 string dn;
  27.                 for (int propertyCounter = 0; propertyCounter < propertyCount; propertyCounter++)
  28.                 {
  29.                     dn = (string)result.Properties["memberOf"][propertyCounter];
  30.                     try { dn = dn.Replace("CN=", ""); } catch { }
  31.                     try { dn = dn.Replace("OU=", ""); } catch { }
  32.                     try { dn = dn.Remove(dn.IndexOf(",")); } catch { }
  33.                     switch (dn)
  34.                     {
  35.                         case "Auditor":
  36.                             if (_SupervisorLevel < 2) { _SupervisorLevel = 2; }
  37.                             break;
  38.                         case "Cashier":
  39.                             if (_SupervisorLevel < 3) { _SupervisorLevel = 3; }
  40.                             break;
  41.                         case "Supervisor":
  42.                             if (_SupervisorLevel < 5) { _SupervisorLevel = 5; }
  43.                             break;
  44.                         case "Assistant Manager":
  45.                             if (_SupervisorLevel < 7) { _SupervisorLevel = 7; }
  46.                             break;
  47.                         case "Manager":
  48.                             if (_SupervisorLevel < 9) { _SupervisorLevel = 9; }
  49.                             break;
  50.                     }
  51.                 }
  52.             }
  53.             catch (Exception ex)
  54.             {
  55.                 throw new Exception("Error: " + ex.Message);
  56.             }
  59.             if (_SupervisorLevel == 2)
  60.             {
  61.                 //Do Stuff
  63.             }
  64.             if (_SupervisorLevel >= 3)
  65.             {
  66.                 //Do Stuff      
  67.             }
  68.             if (_SupervisorLevel >= 5)
  69.             {
  70.                 //Do Stuff
  71.             }
  72.         }
May 19 '08 #1
8 2829
Plater
7,872 Recognized Expert Expert
Are you able to discover which line caused the failure?
What was the exception?

I got "object reference not set to an instance of an object" right around:
int propertyCount = result.Properties["memberOf"].Count;

(I did notice and remember to change the "mydomain" to my actual domain)
May 19 '08 #2
maxx233
32 New Member
Are you able to discover which line caused the failure?
What was the exception?

I got "object reference not set to an instance of an object" right around:
int propertyCount = result.Properties["memberOf"].Count;

(I did notice and remember to change the "mydomain" to my actual domain)
No, I'm not able to figure out where I'm having issues - when I hit F5 to begin debugging it works fine (because I'm logged in as me)... if I take the .exe it produces though and drop it on another computer it will only run when I'm logged into that pc. Is there any way to run debugging as a different user?

I believe that's the same place I'm having issues - when the exe fails on the test machine and i debug that, it says the 'object reference not set' error, but I can't trace down exactly where it's coming from other than my authenticateUser() method.

But I don't understand why running it as a different user with appropriate permissions would cause a hangup there when it works fine for my account.
May 19 '08 #3
Plater
You could make a special "debug" version or your program with Console.Writeline()s (or MessageBox.Show()s) before every line of the function, the last one to show will tell you what line it crashed on?

I also did this (had it return a datatable of all the properties it found)
  1. private DataTable authenticateUser()
  2. {
  3.     DataTable dt = new DataTable();
  4.     dt.Columns.Add("Name");
  5.     dt.Columns.Add("Value");
  6.   string mydomain = "mydomain";
  7.   int _SupervisorLevel = 0;
  8.   string _Teller = "";
  9.   string _Client = "";
  11.   DirectoryEntry de = new DirectoryEntry();
  12.   de.Path = "WinNT://"+mydomain+"/" + SystemInformation.UserName.ToString() + ",user";
  13.   _Teller = de.Properties["FullName"].Value.ToString();
  14.   _Client = SystemInformation.ComputerName.ToString();
  15.   //Program._Teller = _Teller;
  17.   DirectoryEntry DE = new DirectoryEntry("LDAP://" + mydomain);
  18.   DirectorySearcher search = new DirectorySearcher();
  19.   search.SearchRoot = DE;
  20.   //search.Filter = "(givenName=" + SystemInformation.UserName.ToString() + ")";
  21.   //search.PropertiesToLoad.Add("memberOf");
  23.   try
  24.   {
  25.       SearchResult result = search.FindOne();
  26.       foreach (string PropertyName in result.Properties.PropertyNames)
  27.       {
  28.         DataRow dr = dt.NewRow();
  29.         dr["Name"] = PropertyName;
  30.         string valstring = "";
  31.         ResultPropertyValueCollection rvpc = result.Properties[PropertyName];
  32.         for (int i = 0; i < rvpc.Count; i++)
  33.         {
  34.             valstring += o.ToString() + "\r\n";
  35.         }
  36.         dr["Value"] = valstring;
  37.         dt.Rows.Add(dr);
  38.       }
  40.   }
  41.   catch (Exception ex)
  42.   {
  43.       throw new Exception("Error: " + ex.Message);
  44.   }
  45. }
Then I looked at it in a DataGridView, there was nothing about "memberof" or "givenName"
May 20 '08 #4
maxx233
32 New Member
You could make a special "debug" version or your program with Console.Writeline()s (or MessageBox.Show()s) before every line of the function, the last one to show will tell you what line it crashed on?

I also did this (had it return a datatable of all the properties it found)
  1. private DataTable authenticateUser()
  2. {
  3.     DataTable dt = new DataTable();
  4.     dt.Columns.Add("Name");
  5.     dt.Columns.Add("Value");
  6.   string mydomain = "mydomain";
  7.   int _SupervisorLevel = 0;
  8.   string _Teller = "";
  9.   string _Client = "";
  11.   DirectoryEntry de = new DirectoryEntry();
  12.   de.Path = "WinNT://"+mydomain+"/" + SystemInformation.UserName.ToString() + ",user";
  13.   _Teller = de.Properties["FullName"].Value.ToString();
  14.   _Client = SystemInformation.ComputerName.ToString();
  15.   //Program._Teller = _Teller;
  17.   DirectoryEntry DE = new DirectoryEntry("LDAP://" + mydomain);
  18.   DirectorySearcher search = new DirectorySearcher();
  19.   search.SearchRoot = DE;
  20.   //search.Filter = "(givenName=" + SystemInformation.UserName.ToString() + ")";
  21.   //search.PropertiesToLoad.Add("memberOf");
  23.   try
  24.   {
  25.       SearchResult result = search.FindOne();
  26.       foreach (string PropertyName in result.Properties.PropertyNames)
  27.       {
  28.         DataRow dr = dt.NewRow();
  29.         dr["Name"] = PropertyName;
  30.         string valstring = "";
  31.         ResultPropertyValueCollection rvpc = result.Properties[PropertyName];
  32.         for (int i = 0; i < rvpc.Count; i++)
  33.         {
  34.             valstring += o.ToString() + "\r\n";
  35.         }
  36.         dr["Value"] = valstring;
  37.         dt.Rows.Add(dr);
  38.       }
  40.   }
  41.   catch (Exception ex)
  42.   {
  43.       throw new Exception("Error: " + ex.Message);
  44.   }
  45. }
Then I looked at it in a DataGridView, there was nothing about "memberof" or "givenName"
I got it figured out. It was a stupid mistake on my part (go figure) ;) I somehow misunderstood the definition of givenName - it just happened to work for me because of what my username is and what my name is. That's why it wouldn't work for anyone else though - they weren't so fortunate. What I was really looking for there instead of givenName as my filter, was sAMAccountName - the login account as seen by AD. So after replacing that it works fine - my SystemInformation.Username matches up with the sAMAccountName, it filters by that so it's just looking at my AD object (or the AD object of whoever's logged in and using my app), and then iterates through the groups I belong to (at least the ones I directly belong to) and matches up the best one for this app. Thanks for your help on it, I appreciate it!

Maxx
May 20 '08 #5
Plater
So did the MemberOf thing work for you?
I happen to know I'm in the DomainAdmins group but I saw no group memberships listed?
May 20 '08 #6
maxx233
32 New Member
So did the MemberOf thing work for you?
I happen to know I'm in the DomainAdmins group but I saw no group memberships listed?
Yeah, it's working good for me now. Loads the groups into 'result', and then iterates through them to check for membership. You'd probably have to edit the filtering I'm doing below (see notes in code), but other than that it should be good. Here's the relevant code I've got

1.         private void authenticateUser()
  2.         {
  3.             DirectoryEntry DE = new DirectoryEntry("LDAP://myDomain.com");
  4.             DirectorySearcher search = new DirectorySearcher();
  5.             search.SearchRoot = DE;
  6.             search.Filter = "(sAMAccountName=" + SystemInformation.UserName.ToString() + ")";
  7.             search.PropertiesToLoad.Add("memberOf");
  9.             try
  10.             {
  11.                 SearchResult result = search.FindOne();
  12.                 int propertyCount = result.Properties["memberOf"].Count;
  13.                 string dn;
  14.                 for (int propertyCounter = 0; propertyCounter < propertyCount; propertyCounter++)
  15.                 {
  16.                     dn = (string)result.Properties["memberOf"][propertyCounter];
  17.                     try { dn = dn.Replace("CN=", ""); } catch { }
  18.                     try { dn = dn.Replace("OU=", ""); } catch { }
  19.                     try { dn = dn.Remove(dn.IndexOf(",")); } catch { }
  21. // THE ABOVE MAY NEED TO BE EDITTED TO REFLECT YOUR ORGANIZATION'S AD STRUCTURE.  IT'S JUST FILTERING OUT ALL THE UNWANTED STRUCTURE/LOCATION INFO FOR THE GROUP NAMES
  23.                 }
  24.             }
  25.             catch (Exception ex)
  26.             {
  27.                 throw new Exception("Error: " + ex.Message);
  28.             }
  29. }
May 21 '08 #7
Plater
It did in fact work without me changing anything except inserting my own domain.
Out came all the groups I was registered in. The code knocked it down to only the first group, but stepping through showed me all of them.

Interesting, but now I've forgotten what you used this code for?
May 21 '08 #8
maxx233
32 New Member
It did in fact work without me changing anything except inserting my own domain.
Out came all the groups I was registered in. The code knocked it down to only the first group, but stepping through showed me all of them.

Interesting, but now I've forgotten what you used this code for?
I'm using it for authentication/setting permissions on a program we've got running downstairs.

The department that uses it has fairly high turnover, so I wanted to relieve the pain for everyone involved of having that department's managers maintain an integrated user DB for this program - so instead when we make the users' AD accounts upstairs in IT we now assign them as a member of a group in AD pertaining to their access level in this program (programX user, programX supervisor, programX manager, etc)... Voila! All the user has to do is login to their machine with a single account, and it checks group membership when they run this program, and assigns permissions within the program accordingly. Easy for us to administer, painless for department managers, less confusing for the users, and less paperwork.

Maxx
May 21 '08 #9

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.