473,461 Members | 1,800 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Create Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

XP logs off immediately after log on.

harshadd
176 100+
Background:
I'm running XP Pro SP2. I use AVG free, and mCafee as antivirus, windows deffendar to protect malwares.
Problem is :
Machine starts up normally, goes to the XP login screen. I enter username and password, and it starts logging into the profile, as soon as the wallpaper comes up, it immediately logs back out to the welcome screen. shows logging off screen and come back on login prompt. When I second time logs in It logs in properly.
Dec 24 '07 #1
51 66523
Try holding down the "shift" key right after you log in..

Doing so keeps anything in the startup folder from running..

If this works go to the

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

folder and see what is in it...anything in this folder will auto start..
Jan 4 '08 #2
Cyberdyne
627 Expert 512MB
Log in to the machine on the second try when it let you and go to start > run > type in msconfig hit OK > in system configuration utility go to Startup and uncheck anything unnnecessary from starting up( I would leave the antivirus and antispyware checked for your proteccion, also nvidia, ati, and sound drivers as well as wifi utilities, everything else can pretty much go) Apply and restart the computer, see if that solves your problem. Let me know if you need more help in case this does not work.

Regards,

-=Cyberdyne=-
-=Windows & Networking MOD=-
Jan 4 '08 #3
harshadd
176 100+
Thanks Cyberdyne
I already had tried MSCONFIG and removed some unwanted things from it.
still this happens, it logs off immediately after first I logged in, and after wasting 3-4 minutes on that screen it prompts me to login again...
Jan 7 '08 #4
araman
Maybe the profile is corrupt, If you only have one username boot to safe mode, log in under administrator
Jan 10 '08 #5
araman
Maybe the profile is corrupt, If you only have one username boot to safe mode, log in under administrator, go to control panel-users and create a new user. Then reboot and try to log in as the new user. if you already have multiple users and they can log in ok then the profile corruption is indeed the problem. Recreate a new user and then copy and data from the old profile.
Jan 10 '08 #6
harshadd
176 100+
i have 4-5 users logging daily on my PC all are having this problem, its clear that its not a profile issue... some 3rd party program has been (knowingly or unknowingly) got installed i guess...
Jan 11 '08 #7
araman
If you can log on in safe mode ...then check add/remove program applet. if you think it's spyware or Virus then i would consider the system compromised and re-install from scratch.
Jan 12 '08 #8
A user has a Dell Dimension 4600 running XP Pro. It's an old but durable machine. His children got on it and when he called me there were more than 100 trojans and a few viruses on it and it could no longer connect to the net.

I cleaned up the viruses and trojans, found and removed the corrupted program preventing it from connecting, loaded pending updates, and then a Dell popup offered to install a trial version of the Dell Support Center. I have this on my Inspiron so I loaded onto his machine, checking to make sure the url was Dell and that it was legit.

After loading I ran it, and it cleaned up a few problems. Later as I was preparing to clean up some utilities I had loaded, the Support Center popped up and said that something was 100% complete but it just sat there doing nothing. I wasn't paying much attention as I was working on something on my own PC, so I just left it alone.

After about 20 minutes the Dell Support Center pop-up said configuration was complete and to reboot. So I did.

Now I have the same problem described in this thread: no matter what profile I use, including the Administrator, as soon as I log in it says "logging off." It does this over and over, and does not let me log in after a while.

I cannot reload his system because, back before he knew better he threw the system disks away.

I'm not a developer but a grouchy old user who's about fed up with Microsoft after Vista and swearing, for the nth time, that my next PC will be a Mac.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for how to break the cycle on the auto-log off so I can find the source of the problem and fix it. Thanks for your time.
Sep 17 '08 #9
harshadd
176 100+
Hi, I had faced this in jan08
I saved my XP pro Installation from being reinstalled. But frankly It is not solving all problems.
I did the below things, I do not remember the order i did it BUT it saved my PC fro Reinstalling. I lost all the shortcuts which I recovered manually as and when I needed them in feature.
1. Run Installation CD and ask it to repair (1st repair) which takes you to CMD prompt , there you run CHKDSK -P.

If system started properly do step 2 or skip to step 3

2. DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL spy ware doctor, , Install yahoo anti spy (free), I also installed "Uniblue registry booster 2" to clean registry , AVG Free for Virus and Trojans , add wares spy wares etc. remove all virus Trojans ad wares spy wares.

If you got system in hand after booting , you can try step 2. otherwise,

3. Insert XP pro CD and start installation apply 2nd repair, which will Install (Overwriting existing windows) but keep all ur icons and registry settings as it is so that you need not configure all ur applications again.
If system started properly after step 3, do step 2,
4. If nothing worked , and if you have space in HDD of del install other copy of windows XP (temporarily)and perform step 2 in this windows and scan for entire HDD so that it will clean ur OLD windows too.
5. If you lack the space on HDD you can try booting from USB hard disk and installing OS on it, But this is very tricky(Google it or read my thread on this site for it).
6. This is what You can always do, remove the Hard disk and conect to working PC, boot from working PC as uswal with its own HDD and scan/clean this HDD.
7. LAST get a bookable installable CD for XP pro, Format the whole HDD and reinstall entire things, perform step 2 so that ur new installation will be protected in feature from attacks.

Yet I have overcome from rebooting issue, I am not satisfy with it as some time I still get warnings of malware spy wares some times PC acts funny etc.. so I am going to do step 7 followed by step 2 verry soon.

Full versions of some s/w mentioned above are not freewares, Buy it for full versions -OR- get it by using your own ways from friends, relatives, I.net etc,

I know you will not, but If you did tried any crack sites for it, be very care full, scan every thing you downloaded b4 using it. also do not visit to any such sites without having at least a good updated anti virus software installed and running.
This forum is not on how to get full versions of s/wares..;)

Rgds HarshadD
Sep 18 '08 #10
DonRayner
489 Expert 256MB
Just a shot in the dark but why not boot into safe mode and do a system restore back to before the problem started.
Sep 18 '08 #11
harshadd
176 100+
When he is saying it reboots, that means it must be booting automatically even in safe mode, so no chance to system restore. My case was same no safe mode was possible.

:)

HarshadD
Sep 22 '08 #12
I am having the same problem. It seems that it is rather common with older Dells running windows xp. Still working on fixing it. I started working with the repair disk and may have made it worse.

Tracey
Sep 22 '08 #13
mattas
<hoax removed>

sry had to i have an easy solution...use linux...

-matt
Sep 23 '08 #14
AmberJain
884 Expert 512MB
<hoax removed>

sry had to i have an easy solution...use linux...

-matt
Hello,

Welcome to bytes.com, mattas!

Now always remember before you post that your reply must be true. Don't post hoaxes. Now your last reply is a hoax. For details visit this link.

I am looking forward to a solution to this problem and I hope to find some solution to this problem soon.....

Thanks.....
AmbrNewlearner
Sep 23 '08 #15
harshadd
176 100+
if some one is administrating this blog, pls remove matts comments from this discussion immediately, he is not suppose to misguide any one here.
Sep 25 '08 #16
I had a similar problem with a linux box, and in my case it was obviously an hardware problem. Solved by changing the power supply and removing a defective PCI network card
Sep 25 '08 #17
Nepomuk
3,112 Expert 2GB
if some one is administrating this blog, pls remove matts comments from this discussion immediately, he is not suppose to misguide any one here.
I have removed the comment and would like to basically repeat what AmbrNewlearner said: Please don't post hoaxes when someone asks a serious question, especially if the hoax could have negative effects like destroying your system. Not everyone who comes here can understand English properly and so someone might take a hoax like that seriously.

Greetings,
Nepomuk (Moderator)
Sep 28 '08 #18
Icecrack
174 Expert 100+
Have you checked for startup scripts in the local policy, there may be a script to shutdown -l
Sep 30 '08 #19
harshadd
176 100+
Its not a Mistake by some one. I had lost of tojans and sywares on my PC which I cleaned out after that i am facing this, so clearly Its an error or problem caused by some mall ware s/w. or may be side effect of a virus/Trojan/spyware etc which makes some changes to system configuration to make system compromise.
Sep 30 '08 #20
AmberJain
884 Expert 512MB
Hello,

Its not a Mistake by some one. I had lost of tojans and sywares on my PC which I cleaned out after that i am facing this, so clearly Its an error or problem caused by some mall ware s/w. or may be side effect of a virus/Trojan/spyware etc which makes some changes to system configuration to make system compromise.
You are right.....This is just a side effect (as you call it) which depends on the type of payload a virus (or other malicious files) had while it was on your system. Now although the virus is removed still this problem persists.

I am looking forward to a solution to this problem and I hope to find some solution to this problem soon.....
I probably know the nature of this problem but cannot test it as I am now using Linux instead of XP. Although I have a multi boot system (my family uses XP) but I am too lazy to log into XP and test this problem [and it would be worst for me to REinstall XP then if my system crashes:)]. If you agree to test I can tell you where to look for the problem and it's solution. I'm not sure but I think I'm right.

Please tell me if you would like to look a solution to this problem.

The Linux Newbie,
AmbrNewlearner
Oct 1 '08 #21
harshadd
176 100+
Why NOT????????
we are here to fight with problems, if you have any sincere solution and you are not in position to test it, there are so many ppl might facing this problem, will test it. GA and post what you think..
Rgds HND
Oct 2 '08 #22
I think I know how it happened..............

atleast with me..............

I was searching for making view hidden files & folders enabled which was disabled by snake.exe.vbs.............

i tried all reg tricks that i knew and those which were available online........

I bumped into one such method given by someone to delete userinit from reg(and kept the backup of reg but don't know how to use it now without logging in) ...........

i deleted that key and i am not able to logon after that..........

so maybe you people have deleted your key from reg as i did........

or userinit.exe file is corrupt............

for corrupt userinit.exe you can try the trick...........

boot with bootable XP CD............
enter password when asked for ........
now in command prompt type
expand g:\i386\userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32

g: is cd drive path.............

it didn't work for me (coz i think it is reg issue with me not corrupted file)
do tell me if it works...........

PS: God bless Linux because of which i am still online and finding way to logon in XP again .........or find a way to dual boot XP and Linux......
Oct 2 '08 #23
harshadd
176 100+
There is no solution to each and every problem in windows, It may be because of alll windows OSs codes basically includes previous versions + some thing new/improved.
#Include Dos5.x
#Include Dos6.22
#Include Windows 3.x
#Include Windows 95
#Include Windows 98
Then MS says here is our new product XP so It is quite possible that MS people them self do not know what will happen in what circumstances

well jokes apart, what I said may or may not be true But for more stability and I will say to revert back to working status of XP or any WINDOS OS (Beyond system restore)
I prefer LINUX
I am going to Install a Linux server on one 2GB core dueo 160GB machine
and on that a VNware server to hold Windows Ekspee and 2Thousand3 server as Guest OS. so that I can have all 3 OS running and UP together plus a network within them to do my favorite time pass with AD and VB.
Since VMware provides snapshot options and it restore with 100% accuracy I said beyond system restore. (some times system restore canot restore the previous stage.)
Oct 2 '08 #24
May be I got some solution

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/...ng-in-windows/

Don't no if it'll work for me or not because just start downloading PCregedit........

But still I'll be giving it a try........

PS: I also like Linux but can't get proper volume ......do it switches me back to windows........

I also generally don't use antivirus in Windows because when it gets infected by any Virus its fun to make it work again
Oct 2 '08 #25
ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh...............

got it working by the process given in the link in last post.......

finally I am typing from Windows XP not from Kubuntu........
Oct 2 '08 #26
AmberJain
884 Expert 512MB
Hello,

Well, even I expect that this problem is due to deletion of an autostart entry corrsponding to userinit.exe.

The exact autorun location for userinit is:
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\userinit
Description:
This entry specifies the programs that Winlogon runs when a user logs on. By default, Winlogon runs Userinit.exe, which runs logon scripts, reestablishes network connections, and then starts Explorer.exe, the Windows user interface.
__________________________________________________ ________
File details---->File userinit.exe is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32.
The program has no visible window. userinit.exe is a trustworthy file from Microsoft.

Now one (viruses too) can simply remove it's entry by unchecking it inside Autoruns or by manually deleting it's entry from registry editor. If we want to remove the problem of automatic logging off of system due to this, then we should find a way to add an entry userinit.exe to:
Presently I can only think about manually editing registry files to solve this problem OR using Offline XP password and Registry editor (although I have never tried this program personally).

@harshadd-Now I want you to try this. Download Offline XP password and Registry editor (link above) and burn it's image to CD.
Then download Sysinternals Autoruns utility and run it. In the 'logon' tab search for an entry corresponding to userinit.exe. If you uncheck it then you would not be able to log on to XP. Once you uncheck it's entry, restart your system and try logging to XP. It will not allow you to log in. Restart again and boot from Offline XP password and Registry editor CD. And then try to add an autostart entry corresponding to userinit.exe in:
And then reboot and try logging into XP. And I expect this will solve the problem.

@harshadd- In your reply #10 in this thread you posted a possible solution to this problem and it worked because repair/reinstall of XP restores the state of many system files (which are only used by XP) to the default install state (i.e. the state when system was first installed). And so repair option of XP CD re enters userinit.exe entry to registry. And (as I expected) this problem can certainly be solved by a repair of XP. But repairing XP is a long and cumbersome process. And so I want you to test the soultion I have posted above by me.

EDIT: Ah....I just forgot to add that Offline password and registry editor runs over linux kernel and so in this case too it is linux that saves our system. thanks to linux :)

Thanks for testing.........
AmbrNewlearner
Oct 2 '08 #27
harshadd
176 100+
Disabled "userinit.exe"
Side effects of virus/spyware caused thisone problem.
I used 2nd Repiar option to fixed my problem and today I realised that this was most probably because of disabled "userinit.exe" .
But I am left with other Sideeffects too.. after recovering my system from that huge virus attack, I did so many things as mentioned in my post #10 above.
and finally started my system. My same XP is still talking and walking.
But some problem is left behind.. that may be because , it happend like extra use of antibiotics, it causes other problems.." I may have removed so many registry entries suggested by spyware remover and Uniblue registry booster.
Now Problem is:
When I open "My Computer" and right click on any drive letter
It initially searches for windows installer and then prompt for an msi file
See the exact error screen shot here
Another problem is I have a lots of .JPG files which are photos taken by me in last few years, now after recovering the system from viruses, i am not able to open some JPG files in MS photo editor (the one comes with MS office)
so many other small small things keeps coming up there is no way to confirm if it is because of that virus attack or some thing new.. which makes me feel reinstalling entire system on LINUX + vmware server on it, and then XP on VMware as a virtual machine.
Disabled "userinit.exe" definatly cause this problem it may be disbled because of Virus attack or some malware or user's mishandling.
And fix to it is editing
AND Linux based Offline password and registry editor is one way to edit registry entry back to its original value.
There are other ways to Repair "Dead windows" by operating its installed folders using Preinstalled Environment.
  1. Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD
Check it here
Yoy can use PE builder to create a CD which boots and gives access to windows SAM database aswell as registry. there is also one CD image available on I net its called <removed CD with pirated software> google it for more info.
Oct 2 '08 #28
harshadd
176 100+
Disabled "userinit.exe"
Side effects of virus/spyware caused thisone problem.
I used 2nd Repiar option to fixed my problem and today I realised that this was most probably because of disabled "userinit.exe" .

Disabled "userinit.exe" definatly cause this problem it may be disbled because of Virus attack or some malware or user's mishandling.
And fix to it is editing
AND Linux based Offline password and registry editor is one way to edit registry entry back to its original value.
There are other ways to Repair "Dead windows" by operating its installed folders using Preinstalled Environment.
  1. Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD
Check it here
Yoy can use PE builder to create a CD which boots and gives access to windows SAM database aswell as registry. there is also one CD image available on I net its called <removed by mod> google it for more info.
SOME PROBS THAT I STILL FACE AFTER RECOVERY
But I am left with other Sideeffects too.. after recovering my system from that huge virus attack, I did so many things as mentioned in my post #10 above.
and finally started my system. My same XP is still talking and walking.
But some problem is left behind.. that may be because , it happend like extra use of antibiotics, it causes other problems.." I may have removed so many registry entries suggested by spyware remover and Uniblue registry booster.
Now Problem is:
When I open "My Computer" and right click on any drive letter
It initially searches for windows installer and then prompt for an msi file
See the exact error screen shot here I have Vmware installed on PC it works fine, but this error when right click on drive letter.

Another problem is I have a lots of .JPG files which are photos taken by me in last few years, now after recovering the system from viruses, i am not able to open some JPG files in MS photo editor (the one comes with MS office)
so many other small small things keeps coming up there is no way to confirm if it is because of that virus attack or some thing new.. which makes me feel reinstalling entire system on LINUX + vmware server on it, and then XP on VMware as a virtual machine.
Oct 2 '08 #29
AmberJain
884 Expert 512MB
Hello,

When I open "My Computer" and right click on any drive letter. It initially searches for windows installer and then prompt for an msi file
See the exact error screen shot here I have Vmware installed on PC it works fine, but this error when right click on drive letter.
Hmmm....I dont think this problem is due to some virus. Instead this may be due to messing up with your XP installation. Well, answer these questions:
1. You said that windows installer starts when you right click any drive. Is it just right clciking the drive that starts the Windows installer or do you right click first and select some other option such as [explore] or [open]?

2. Unhide all the hidden files and important OS files (I hope you to know how to do this). Then post a screenshot of the files of drive on which Windows OS is installed.

I found this Microsoft documentation which may help you. Just scroll down to the section where it says- "WORKAROUND" and see to it. Although the documentation is associated with Access 2003 runtime application, still I think if you read the documentation with ACCESS 2003 replaced by VMware Workstation then you may end up with success.

Also, I got link below on google.........they may be of some help to you:
LINK
Just replace Addit! Pro by VMware workstation and then read the article (beware....I have not tested this. This may also crash your system).

Does that mean that you are unable to open .JPG files with any other photo editor too? Try opening with Paint and post back the results.

HOPE THIS HELPS........
AmbrNewlearner
Oct 2 '08 #30
harshadd
176 100+
Hello,

Does that mean that you are unable to open .JPG files with any other photo editor too? Try opening with Paint and post back the results.

HOPE THIS HELPS........
AmbrNewlearner
Take it as I said, "I cannot open some JPG files in MS photo editor." which I used to open previously.
That means I can open these files using Preview or any other picture viewer.
and that also means
I open Other files using MS Photoeditor as well as other pict viewers.

Now answer to ur first questions
1. You said that windows installer starts when you right click any drive. Is it just right clciking the drive that starts the Windows installer or do you right click first and select some other option such as [explore] or [open]?
Have you seen link I posted in upper blog?
I have pasted a screen shot over there. pls see that.
I open "My Computer" by double cliking an icon from desktop or by exploer, in both cases, I have list of all my drive letters in front of me.
So when I Right click any drive It gives me that error.

2. Unhide all the hidden files and important OS files (I hope you to know how to do this). Then post a screenshot of the files of drive on which Windows OS is installed.
Windows OS is installed on C:\Windows
What more you want to know ?
Oct 2 '08 #31
RedSon
5,000 Expert 4TB
Just so everyone knows <removed name of CD with illegal software> contains some software which may have questionable legality. Using this CD to solve your own problems is not recommended. Additionally, discussions about software that is illegal is not tolerated on this site. Please be aware of these facts before offering suggestions or mentioning software products that you use or have used to solve your problems.
Oct 2 '08 #32
harshadd
176 100+
Just so everyone knows <removed name of CD with illegal software> contains some software which may have questionable legality. Using this CD to solve your own problems is not recommended. Additionally, discussions about software that is illegal is not tolerated on this site. Please be aware of these facts before offering suggestions or mentioning software products that you use or have used to solve your problems.
<removed name of CD with illegal software> may contains so many things which are not legal to use.
But registry tools included in that CD are not of that kind. Here we were discussing about how to modify windows XP registry without logging onto XP.so i feel its obvious to use those tools if one could not get other tools. I am not promoting any Illegal s/w on that CD by this way.
Oct 3 '08 #33
RedSon
5,000 Expert 4TB
<removed name of CD with illegal software> may contains so many things which are not legal to use.
But registry tools included in that CD are not of that kind. Here we were discussing about how to modify windows XP registry without logging onto XP.so i feel its obvious to use those tools if one could not get other tools. I am not promoting any Illegal s/w on that CD by this way.
It doesn't matter how many things are legal vs how many are not, so don't try to use that as justification.

No one is getting in any trouble here so don't worry about it. I mention it as a reminder to everyone else who reads this thread later.

Continue on with the discussion as normal...
Oct 3 '08 #34
AmberJain
884 Expert 512MB
Hello,

Take it as I said, "I cannot open some JPG files in MS photo editor." which I used to open previously.
That means I can open these files using Preview or any other picture viewer.
and that also means
I open Other files using MS Photoeditor as well as other pict viewers.
Well, Microsoft's softwares are weird...............And I cannot think of a solution to this problem now. And so better use other photo viewers till you find a solution to this problem.

Have you seen link I posted in upper blog?
I have pasted a screen shot over there. pls see that.
Yeah....I had seen that.

Windows OS is installed on C:\Windows
What more you want to know ?
When I said- "Then post a screenshot of the files of drive on which Windows OS is installed" in my previous reply I meant that please post a photo (snapshot) of C:\ [hope I am clear now].

Also I had posted some links in my previous reply with solutions to similar type of problem. Had you seen (and tried) them? If not then check them now in my previous reply.

Hope this helps........
AmbrNewlearner
Oct 3 '08 #35
harshadd
176 100+
Also I had posted some links in my previous reply with solutions to similar type of problem. Had you seen (and tried) them? If not then check them now in my previous reply.
Yea, I seen those links, I am being asked for supplying some msi for VMware Installation, and this link discuss problems due to inter MS applications. so I came on conclusion that it is not related to problem I am facing. Links is very much informative, but not particular for this problem.

I will send you out put of "DIR /a c:\*.* " instead of a snapshot of C: in explorer. will that work ?
Oct 4 '08 #36
AmberJain
884 Expert 512MB
Hello,

I will send you out put of "DIR /a c:\*.* " instead of a snapshot of C: in explorer. will that work ?
Yeah....that is what I want. Just post the output of "DIR /a c:\" here. I will see then if I can offer some help here or not :).

Thanks.........
AmbrNewlearner
Oct 4 '08 #37
harshadd
176 100+
Hello,

Yeah....that is what I want. Just post the output of "DIR /a c:\" here. I will see then if I can offer some help here or not :).

Thanks.........
AmbrNewlearner
Ok then see the list below
  1.  Volume in drive C has no label.
  2.  Volume Serial Number is AC14-4143
  4.  Directory of c:\
  6. 13/09/2008  10:37 PM    <DIR>          $AVG8.VAULT$
  7. 02/10/2008  09:48 PM    <DIR>          AHCache
  8. 13/08/2008  10:45 PM                 0 AUTOEXEC.BAT
  9. 18/05/2008  02:57 PM               874 AutoSetup.log
  10. 31/08/2008  03:45 AM               292 boot.ini
  11. 03/10/2008  02:15 AM    <DIR>          Config.Msi
  12. 13/08/2008  10:45 PM                 0 CONFIG.SYS
  13. 16/08/2008  05:33 AM               148 desktop.ini
  14. 05/10/2008  01:24 AM                 0 dir
  15. 03/09/2008  04:43 PM    <DIR>          Documents and Settings
  16. 01/10/2008  09:19 PM           128,400 Download_flv2video_converter-trial.exe
  17. 06/08/2008  05:13 PM    <DIR>          DriveKey
  18. 09/07/2008  04:56 PM         1,474,560 fdd144mb
  19. 18/05/2008  02:40 PM               183 GFX.log
  20. 18/05/2008  09:32 AM                 0 IO.SYS
  21. 18/05/2008  02:53 PM               224 LAN.log
  22. 14/09/2008  02:53 PM        10,005,139 Masum_lakadiki_kathi.flv
  23. 18/05/2008  09:32 AM                 0 MSDOS.SYS
  24. 23/05/2008  10:37 AM    <DIR>          MSOCache
  25. 05/10/2008  12:13 AM    <DIR>          MY Downloads
  26. 04/10/2008  11:29 PM    <DIR>          NeerajUSB
  27. 09/07/2008  04:14 PM         2,949,120 newfdd
  28. 09/07/2008  05:20 PM         1,474,560 newfdd.vfd
  29. 25/03/2003  05:30 PM            47,548 NTDETECT.COM
  30. 25/03/2003  05:30 PM           277,152 ntldr
  31. 05/10/2008  01:04 AM     2,145,386,496 pagefile.sys
  32. 05/10/2008  01:00 AM    <DIR>          Program Files
  33. 18/05/2008  02:50 PM               206 Realtek.log
  34. 06/09/2008  10:26 PM    <DIR>          RECYCLER
  35. 16/08/2008  05:33 AM             1,599 Remote Assistance.lnk
  36. 18/05/2008  02:50 PM               499 RHDSetup.log
  37. 18/05/2008  02:36 PM                86 SBDrv.log
  38. 23/05/2008  01:21 PM               228 Static_IP.ini
  39. 05/10/2008  01:04 AM    <DIR>          System Volume Information
  40. 12/06/2008  01:43 PM    <DIR>          t546b2
  41. 18/05/2008  02:57 PM             1,286 VBPTask.log
  42. 02/10/2008  03:44 AM        21,440,208 VeohSetup-3.9.8.1082.exe
  43. 09/07/2008  04:08 PM         1,474,560 vfd
  44. 02/10/2008  08:34 PM    <DIR>          WINDOWS
Oct 4 '08 #38
Nepomuk
3,112 Expert 2GB
There, just to make sure nobody can accuse bytes.com of promoting a CD with illegal contents, I've removed every mentioning of that CD from the complete thread. I accept, that it wasn't intended for illegal purposes, but we have to be very careful about such issues.

Greetings,
Nepomuk (Moderator)
Oct 7 '08 #39
AmberJain
884 Expert 512MB
Hello,

@harshadd---> I have seen your reply #38 and could not find anything of interest. And so (very sadly) I want to tell you that at present (atleast) I cannot think of anything that may help you.

BTW, Let me tell you what I was trying to do. I was expecting to find something like autorun.inf in the root of your drive but could not find something like that :(

If I find something I will notify in this thread....

EDIT: Ahh..I just thought of something. Can you please post output of "DIR /a c:\" for
1. C:\config.msi
2. C:\t546b2
3. c:\MSOCache
4. c:\AHCache
5. c:\drivekey

AmbrNewlearner
Oct 8 '08 #40
harshadd
176 100+
Hello,
EDIT: Ahh..I just thought of something. Can you please post output of "DIR /a c:\" for
1. C:\config.msi
2. C:\t546b2
3. c:\MSOCache
4. c:\AHCache
5. c:\drivekey

AmbrNewlearner
C:\t546b2 - This is an accounting package's data. I do not know what others are.

1.  Volume in drive C has no label.
  2.  Volume Serial Number is AC14-4143
  4.  Directory of C:\Config.Msi
  6. 07/10/2008  12:27 AM    <DIR>          .
  7. 07/10/2008  12:27 AM    <DIR>          ..
  8. 03/09/2008  10:35 PM                 0 1a516d.rbs
  9. 18/01/2007  08:00 PM           398,126 1af2519.rbf
  10. 18/08/2004  08:00 AM            86,016 1af251a.rbf
  11. 18/01/2007  08:00 PM           180,319 1af251b.rbf
  12. 18/01/2007  08:00 PM           143,360 1af2522.rbf
  13. 18/08/2004  08:00 AM            12,800 1af2528.rbf
  14. 18/01/2007  08:00 PM           221,191 1af2529.rbf
  15. 18/01/2007  08:00 PM            61,440 1af252a.rbf
  16. 18/01/2007  08:00 PM            44,032 1af2531.rbf
  17. 18/01/2007  08:00 PM            10,240 1af2555.rbf
  18.               10 File(s)      1,157,524 bytes
  19.                2 Dir(s)  22,620,491,776 bytes free
  20.  Volume in drive C has no label.
  21.  Volume Serial Number is AC14-4143
  23.  Directory of C:\t546b2
  25. 06/10/2008  09:23 AM    <DIR>          .
  26. 06/10/2008  09:23 AM    <DIR>          ..
  27. 07/10/2008  05:15 PM    <DIR>          DATA
  28. 08/10/2008  04:39 PM             7,834 TALLY.SAV
  29.                1 File(s)          7,834 bytes
  30.                3 Dir(s)  22,620,557,312 bytes free
  31.  Volume in drive C has no label.
  32.  Volume Serial Number is AC14-4143
  34.  Directory of C:\MSOCache
  36. 13/09/2008  11:50 PM    <DIR>          All Users
  37.                0 File(s)              0 bytes
  38.                1 Dir(s)  22,616,559,616 bytes free
  39.  Volume in drive C has no label.
  40.  Volume Serial Number is AC14-4143
  42.  Directory of C:\AHCache
  44. 02/10/2008  09:48 PM    <DIR>          All Users
  45.                0 File(s)              0 bytes
  46.                1 Dir(s)  22,620,360,704 bytes free
  47.  Volume in drive C has no label.
  48.  Volume Serial Number is AC14-4143
  50.  Directory of C:\DriveKey
  52. 06/08/2008  05:13 PM    <DIR>          .
  53. 06/08/2008  05:13 PM    <DIR>          ..
  54. 24/10/2003  03:50 PM            17,730 EULA.doc
  55.                1 File(s)         17,730 bytes
  56.                2 Dir(s)  22,620,360,704 bytes free
Oct 10 '08 #41
AmberJain
884 Expert 512MB
Hello,

I found something on google. The page is linked here. As the page says:

Essentially the CONFIG.MSI folder contains backups of files that are being installed or updated during a program installation. Upon a successful completion, this folder and files are deleted automatically. However, sometimes the installer program fails to remove these files. In this case, you may safely delete the CONFIG.MSI folder and files from your hard drive.
Simply stated, Config.msi is a folder used [by any programs that use the Microsoft Installer (MSI)] as a temporary extraction folder, which contains files which are of no use to you. So as stated here in this link, delete the folder "config.msi" and all it's contents. That MAY solve your problem.

If deleting Config.msi doesnot helps, tell me...............

Hope this helps.........
AmbrNewlearner
Oct 10 '08 #42
harshadd
176 100+
If deleting Config.msi doesnot helps, tell me...............

Hope this helps.........
AmbrNewlearner
Clearly it will not help, since its leftovers of some installation process, it will not help much deleting the config.msi folder.
I did not (intact could not) test it because of the fact, I am having patience and a nature of doing R&D and find out solution instead of giving up and reinstalling the OS , BUT, but I am not the only user of this machine at home, one at end I have to fight with these PC problems and other end with my folks for not repairing the PC.
And folks are not ready to survive with problematic PC so I had to reinstall and the battle was ended at both the ends.
Oct 11 '08 #43
AmberJain
884 Expert 512MB
Hello,

Clearly it will not help
You cannot be so sure about this.......As far as I can foresee, this will help you (but there's always some uncertainity :)

since its leftovers of some installation process,
Yeah that's it.....you caught the nerve. The contents of Config.msi are PROBABLY leftovers of VMware installed on your PC. And some how whenever you are right clicking a drive, Windows starts installation (or maybe rollback) of VMware using contents of config.msi folder (well, this is just my assumption.......This may seem to you to be impossible but Windows is like that ;)

I did not (intact could not) test it because of the fact, I am having patience and a nature of doing R&D and find out solution instead of giving up and reinstalling the OS , BUT, but I am not the only user of this machine at home, one at end I have to fight with these PC problems and other end with my folks for not repairing the PC.
And folks are not ready to survive with problematic PC so I had to reinstall and the battle was ended at both the ends.
Oh.....NVM, the same is here with me too :(
BTW, does that means that you have reinstalled your Windows installation?
If not, try deleting Config.msi folder once and then reboot and then right click drives to see if problem persists.

H0PE TH!S HELPS.........
AmbrNewlearner
Oct 11 '08 #44
harshadd
176 100+
Ambr,
Infact before formating C:\ I had copied all my data to USB harddisk, and then deleted all the partitions on main harddisk excep partiton for C:.
At the movement i deleted the partitons that rightclick problems was stopped.
But some other problems were exists because of them i decided to COMPLETE RE-INSTALL.
Oct 11 '08 #45
AmberJain
884 Expert 512MB
Hello,

Well, as I frequently say:
The only good tool that Microsoft ever provided in it's OSes was "format C:" and then REinstall ;)
BTW, I am glad that now you are on a stable working XP system.

Thanks.......
AmbrNewlearner
Oct 11 '08 #46
harshadd
176 100+
(well, this is just my assumption.......This may seem to you to be impossible but Windows is like that ;)
:) YES, windows is like that only from when it was 3 it was like that and now it grown more than 98 it is still like that....
I do not know from where you are but 'Vista' means 'excrement of a human' in Sanskrit. , an ancient Indian language, and MS proves it.
Oct 11 '08 #47
AmberJain
884 Expert 512MB
:) YES, windows is like that only from when it was 3 it was like that and now it grown more than 98 it is still like that....
I do not know from where you are but 'Vista' means 'shit of a human' in Sanskrit. , an ancient Indian language, and MS proves it.
Hello,

I am too an Indian...... And I do understand Hindi and Sanskrit(a bit of course).

Ahh....I never knew Sanskrit touches those horizons and even has words such as Vista and Vista is ceratinly an excrement of human.

Thanks,,,,,,,
AmbrNewlearner
Oct 11 '08 #48
harshadd
176 100+
Vista is certainly a excrement of human.
I think while typing above line u were in hurry and by mistake u pressed Upper left key of the key "I" . I cant guess why shift was locked at that time... unless and until u typed it as <removed> for a purpose.
Oct 11 '08 #49
AmberJain
884 Expert 512MB
Hello,

Well, I typed '*' instead of 'i' with a purpose. Posting rude/bad content is not allowed on bytes.com and so I replaced i with *.

BTW, I have reported that your post with that word needs to be edited. Hopefully some MOD/admin will soon edit that post.

Thanks.......
AmbrNewlearner
Oct 11 '08 #50

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.