473,544 Members | 1,843 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Latest Bytes Forum

Support forums for various IT topics. Programming languages, databases, systems, applications and more. Subscribe to a community, participate, ask, share your expertise and network.

thread by: Jatinder | last post Jul 22 '05 by: Ioannis Vranos
I found these questions on a web site and wish to share with all of u out there,Can SomeOne Solve these Porgramming puzzles. Programming Puzzles Some companies certainly ask for these things. Specially Microsoft. Here are my favorite puzzles. Don't send me emails asking for the solutions.
thread by: jacob navia | last post Jan 11 '08 by: Eric Sosman
In my "Happy Christmas" message, I proposed a function to read a file into a RAM buffer and return that buffer or NULL if the file doesn't exist or some other error is found. It is interesting to see that the answers to that message prove that programming exclusively in standard C is completely impossible even for a small and ridiculously...
thread by: Jordan | last post Aug 5 '08 by: Terry Reedy
Hi everyone, I'm a big Python fan who used to be involved semi regularly in comp.lang.python (lots of lurking, occasional posting) but kind of trailed off a bit. I just wrote a frustration inspired rant on my blog, and I thought it was relevant enough as a wider issue to the Python community to post here for your discussion and...
thread by: Montrose... | last post Nov 22 '05 by: Johannes Stuermer
After working in c# for a year, the only conclusion I can come to is that I wish I knew c. All I need is Linux, the gnu c compiler and I can do anything. Web services are just open sockets hooked up to interfaces. The Gtk is more than enough gui.
thread by: Xah Lee | last post May 24 '06 by: Kay Schluehr
Python, Lambda, and Guido van Rossum Xah Lee, 2006-05-05 In this post, i'd like to deconstruct one of Guido's recent blog about lambda in Python. In Guido's blog written in 2006-02-10 at http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=147358
thread by: Malcolm McLean | last post Oct 28 '07 by: Kelsey Bjarnason
The webpages for my new book are now up and running. The book, Basic Algorithms, describes many of the fundamental algorithms used in practical programming, with a bias towards graphics. It includes mathematical routines from the basics up, including floating point arithmetic, compression techniques, including the GIF and JPEG file formats,...
thread by: user923005 | last post Oct 26 '07 by: Giorgos Keramidas
It would be really nice if C could adopt a really nice algorithms library like C++'s STL + BOOST. The recent "reverse the words in this sentence" problem posted made me think about it. It's like 5 lines to do it in C++ because of all the nifty algorithms that come with the language (I think BOOST is going to get bolted on to the C++...
thread by: Terry Andersen | last post Nov 14 '05 by: Programmer Dude
If I have: struct one_{ unsigned int one_1; unsigned short one_2; unsigned short one_3; }; struct two_{ unsigned int two_1;
thread by: James Cameron | last post Nov 13 '05 by: Scott Moore
Hi I'm developing a program and the client is worried about future reuse of the code. Say 5, 10, 15 years down the road. This will be a major factor in selecting the development language. Any comments on past experience, research articles, comments on the matter would be much appreciated. I suspect something like C would be the best based on...
thread by: Sugapablo | last post Jul 24 '05 by: RobG
Just out of curiosity, while checking on a site I was working on, I decided to throw a couple of the web's most popular URLs into the W3C Markup Validator. Out of microsoft.com, google.com, amazon.com, yahoo.com, aol.com, and mozilla.org, only Mozilla's site came back "Valid HTML". So if all these places, with their teams of web...
thread by: Generic Usenet Account | last post Nov 14 '05 by: Gerry Quinn
As per Google's Usenet archives http://groups.google.com/googlegroups/archive_announce_20.html], the first discussion of the Y2K problem on the Usenet was on January 18 1985 http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=820%40reed.UUCP]. That is a good 15 years before the problem manifested. Even then, it turned out, we were scrambling for cover...
thread by: md | last post Nov 28 '07 by: James Kuyper
Hi Does any body know, how to round a double value with a specific number of digits after the decimal points? A function like this: RoundMyDouble (double &value, short numberOfPrecisions) It then updates the value with numberOfPrecisions after the decimal
thread by: Chris F.A. Johnson | last post Jul 9 '08 by: Travis Newbury
I have posted a quick survey at <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/testing/width.shtml>. There's only one question: select the widest line that fits in your normal browser window. Your assistance is appreciated. -- Chris F.A. Johnson, webmaster <http://Woodbine-Gerrard.com>
thread by: Vortex Soft | last post Nov 21 '05 by: CJ Taylor
http://www.junglecreatures.com/ Try it and tell me what's happenning in the Microsoft Corporation. Notes: VB, C# are CLS compliant
thread by: Ajinkya | last post Aug 26 '07 by: Richard Heathfield
Can anyone suggest me a good compiler for(c/cpp) for windows? I tried dev cpp but its debugging facility is very poor.
thread by: James Cameron | last post Jul 19 '05 by: Kevin Goodsell
Hi I'm developing a program and the client is worried about future reuse of the code. Say 5, 10, 15 years down the road. This will be a major factor in selecting the development language. Any comments on past experience, research articles, comments on the matter would be much appreciated. I suspect something like C would be the best based on...
thread by: jrdacc.i | last post Sep 1 '08 by: David Thompson
what is the difference between the tree storage durations(static,automatic and dynamic) in C?
thread by: Eigenvector | last post Aug 11 '06 by: Richard Bos
My question is more generic, but it involves what I consider ANSI standard C and portability. I happen to be a system admin for multiple platforms and as such a lot of the applications that my users request are a part of the OpenSource community. Many if not most of those applications strongly require the presence of the GNU compiling...
thread by: Andrew Rawnsley | last post Nov 12 '05 by: Doug McNaught
Anyone out there using beta 2 in production situations? Comments on stability? I am rolling out a project in the next 4 weeks, and really don't want to go though an upgrade soon after its released on an Unsuspecting Client, so I would LIKE to start working with 7.4. -------------------- Andrew Rawnsley President The Ravensfield Digital...
Nepomuk
thread by: Nepomuk | last post May 18 '09 by: Nepomuk
Seeing as there are loads of funny pictures out there, I thought we could collect the funniest ones. They can, however don't have to be, IT related. Comics or Fotos, Screenshots or edited Images - whatever you think is funny, can be posted here. I'll start with this one:http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/babies.png(originally from...
thread by: napi | last post Jul 22 '05 by: Dik T. Winter
I think you would agree with me that a C compiler that directly produces Java Byte Code to be run on any JVM is something that is missing to software programmers so far. With such a tool one could stay with C and still be able to produce Java byte code for platform independent apps. Also, old programs (with some tweaking) could be...
thread by: E. Robert Tisdale | last post Nov 14 '05 by: Douglas A. Gwyn
I have access to a wide variety of different platforms here at JPL and they all have pretty good C 99 compilers. Some people claim that they have not moved to the new standard because of the lack of C 99 compliant compilers. Is this just a lame excuse for back-sliding?
thread by: Julian | last post Aug 27 '08 by: Ron Ford
'evening. I'm not new to C and have been programming in it since I was 8 but here's a strange problem I've never seen before. When I compile a program from our C course with a windows compiler there is no problem but when I try to compile it with a linux compiler it complains that a_03.c:(.text+0x4d): warning: the `gets' function is...
thread by: robert maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t | last post Apr 16 '07 by: Mark T
I'm working on examples of programming in several languages, all (except PHP) running under CGI so that I can show both the source files and the actually running of the examples online. The first set of examples, after decoding the HTML FORM contents, merely verifies the text within a field to make sure it is a valid representation of an...
thread by: Brian Blais | last post Nov 14 '05 by: Dave Thompson
Hello, I saw on a couple of recent posts people saying that casting the return value of malloc is bad, like: d=(double *) malloc(50*sizeof(double)); why is this bad? I had always thought (perhaps mistakenly) that the purpose of a void pointer was to cast into a legitimate date type. Is this wrong? Why, and what is considered to be...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.